Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Fruit: pruning broken pear tree

Communities > Forums > Beginner Fruit
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FruitReplies: 3, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
margap
East Kingston, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2013
9:00 AM

Post #9393623

I had a pear tree (2nd year in the ground from bare root) that got broken by its deer cage which got knocked over in a heavy wind last summer. We just left it there, being busy with other things. It started growing back again, almost like a bush with lots of stems and leaves all the way up its remaining 18" or so of trunk. Before it got broken, there were only leaves at the top. Am I supposed to clip off all those wee branches? If so, should I do it now?
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2013
4:27 PM

Post #9397585

Not all of them. You need to leave two at the top they will turn up and form a new leader. Once they both turn up and you can trim the weaker one off. Others may disagree with me but I'd leave some of the lower ones until the leader grew up a ways. A plant gets its energy through it's leaves. As long as the leaves aren't shaded by other leaves and they aren't so dense that airflow is restricted they should help the plant grow bigger quicker. When the tree gets to the height that you'll want some branches and they develop you can cut the lower branches off.
margap
East Kingston, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2013
7:25 PM

Post #9397750

Ok. Thanks, Doug.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9407368

Most fruit trees are grafted. A strong, disease resistant root and a nice fruit producing top. If the growth is from really low on the plant it may be from the rootstock, and you do want to remove that. You can probably find the graft, it may look like a sort of bent place in the trunk, usually just a few inches above the soil. Rarely more than a foot above the soil.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Fruit Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blackberries, blueberries and strawberries... RyanandRachel 15 Mar 9, 2007 9:11 PM
Cuttings from Old Apple Tree wildgardengirl 4 Mar 16, 2007 4:08 PM
Strawberries HighCntryGrdnr 18 Sep 4, 2012 6:23 PM
wondering about the fig trees sslopoke 4 Apr 14, 2007 12:26 AM
Queen Ann Cherry Trees lafko06 1 Apr 16, 2007 2:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America