Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cacti and Succulents: New flower bud in January?

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 2, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9394056

I removed all the cold protection in the front and rear yards and took photos. After taking a pic of the Echeveria agavoides 'Lipstick' I noticed this tiny little flower bud (I guess this is what it is). Is it? How long will it take to grow full size? Can it take further cold or should I keep it covered when any more cold rolls around? Thanks, Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling   Thumbnail by xuling
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

January 22, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9394169

Now is when they flower, here anyway. First shot taken late December, second shot a different plant from a couple of days ago. It takes a few weeks for the inflorescence to unfurl. The flowers are small and undramatic, unusually prone to bugs. I can't help you with the temperature issues, though I doubt the flowers are cold hardy. They do tend to grow a bit sideways so don't worry about that.

It's a bit surprising to me that your plant is flowering in so little light (judging by the color, or lack thereof)... pretty amazing.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero   Thumbnail by Baja_Costero         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9396570

I didn't even kinow that I had two 'Lipstick's. And I saw the other one today and it has two flower buds and stems growing. Xuling

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America