New flower bud in January?

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

I removed all the cold protection in the front and rear yards and took photos. After taking a pic of the Echeveria agavoides 'Lipstick' I noticed this tiny little flower bud (I guess this is what it is). Is it? How long will it take to grow full size? Can it take further cold or should I keep it covered when any more cold rolls around? Thanks, Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling Thumbnail by xuling
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Now is when they flower, here anyway. First shot taken late December, second shot a different plant from a couple of days ago. It takes a few weeks for the inflorescence to unfurl. The flowers are small and undramatic, unusually prone to bugs. I can't help you with the temperature issues, though I doubt the flowers are cold hardy. They do tend to grow a bit sideways so don't worry about that.

It's a bit surprising to me that your plant is flowering in so little light (judging by the color, or lack thereof)... pretty amazing.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

I didn't even kinow that I had two 'Lipstick's. And I saw the other one today and it has two flower buds and stems growing. Xuling

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.