Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: The Promise of Spring Chat Away!

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 311, Views: 1,640
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2013
7:49 PM

Post #9394244

Our previous thread was getting a bit long, and thought it would be a good time to start a new one as we look forward to the Promise of Spring. It won't be long before our gardens literally Spring to life. Share your day, family, pets, indoor plants, memories, jokes...anything on your mind.

What is everybody planning to grow this year? Share your tips and tricks.

Anyone is Welcome to join us! The more the merrier.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2013
8:16 PM

Post #9394272

yay! I am first! I am winter sowing and playing in the basement gardens. cold here, no snow, no rain..

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9394300

I am here.. very cold right now. But I did pick up some seeds this week. So I am hoping to start winter sowing soon.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2013
8:39 PM

Post #9394301

What all are you Winter Sowing? We're just starting to plan our veggie garden and have a wish list a mile long, haven't had one for years and am excited at the possibilities. I can't wait to sneak a few veggies in containers too. My mouth is already watering for homegrown tomatoes.

Max seems to like hub's quilt a lot more than he likes laying in his own bed.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2013 11:41 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 23, 2013
3:53 AM

Post #9394417

Hi Fruity,
I lost this thread a while ago and just found it again.
Hi Debra and Kris!
I am also looking forward to planting a garden this year...never had the space before but now I do and I hope to plant several things...including several varieties of tomatoes. YUM!
Also can't wait to my see my flowers bloom this year...working on my 'flower gardens' and thanks to my generous DG friends I have some to look forward to...mostly some daylilies!! Maybe they will bloom this year..might be next after they get settled good.
We are just getting cold weather and with some things already blooming and daylilies coming up, I'm afraid spring is going to be 'confused'.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 23, 2013
5:02 AM

Post #9394440

Hey,all. I saw my first crocus and daffodil yesterday. The crocus may have been blooming several days before I saw them as there were several. There was one daffodil open and one about half open. About a week ago I saw my first hellebore. It's white with a pink flush. I saw some willows putting out about a week ago. I am concerned that all our warm weather may have jump started a lot of plants and trees and set them up to be hurt or killed later as it is far too early for spring yet. But nothing anyone can do at this point. Just wait and see what happens.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

January 23, 2013
5:28 AM

Post #9394450

Wow...MI just really became wnter! Abiut 8 inchs of snow and single digit temps. However indoors I have started seeds...and I have bulbs that are starting to to green inside! So...even if MI is not ready for Spring, I am!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 23, 2013
5:36 AM

Post #9394456

I wonder if I could make it in a place where there was REAL winter!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9394566

No snow or rain here...

I don't dare plant anything yet, because I know as soon as I do, it will freeze! So I am anxiously waiting till mid February, when it will be safe to take things outside!

Del Rio, TX 50F Current: Clear
Wind: E at 5 mph
Humidity: 86%
Wed 77 | 57
Thu 82 | 55
Fri 82 | 54
Sat 72 | 59
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9394757

Crystal

It was 4 degrees here this morning when I left for work. Truthfully, I have been asking myself more and more why I live in the NE...

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9394827

I am going to start winter sowing my tomatoes, cucumber, bunch onions, and some herbs. I will be setting up cold frames this week for when they get tier 2nd set of true leaves.

Sitting at my new friends house downloading some things.

By the way she has joined DG. I will see if she will come and chat with us tonight. Her name is Gwen / first1girl from Kellyton, Alabama

This message was edited Jan 23, 2013 1:22 PM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2013
2:31 PM

Post #9395094

That's great, Elfie. I've sent her a note hoping she'll join us.

We must be having a heat wave compared to some of you. It's a balmy 32.
Meant to check and see if there's any leaves poking out from Spring bulbs.
It won't be long before my lone Hellebore will be blooming.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 23, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9395187

Kris, I saw her name on the list of new people to DG and sent her a D-mail. I was glad to see another person close to us.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9395257

Great!! She and her husband are both super nice!
I know she works at the college during the day. So if she gets online tonight maybe she will stop by.

I m looking forward to seeing you soon Crystal!! I made 12 of those stands I told you about. Tried to upload pictures but no go...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9395808

Not sowing anything yet, Hubby says it is too early.
How you all doing???
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 24, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9395831

BBBRRRRR!! 6 degrees here!! Not my idea of nice weather by any means!! Picked up a few packs of Mixed color sunflowers, mammoth russian sunflowers and choice mixed colors morning glory the other day!! Have some things ordered and have stuck some daylily seeds(some acquired from Fruity!!) in small pots to see what happens!!

Pics below are some "mixed hybrid" daylily seeds that I received & started last year (kept in basement for now), some noid canna seeds that I started last year, and some white datura seeds started last year!! Hopefully all will make it to go outside IF we ever get around to seeing warm weather again!!! Why is it that nice sunny days seem so short , while these dreary frigid days seem to last forever!!!!

Sounds like just about everyone is more than ready for the "back-breaking" task of gardening to begin!!! I know I am!!! LOTS of hard,time consuming work, but OOHHH the beauty in the end is so worth it!!!

Have a great evening everyone!!
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 24, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9395835

OOOPPPS! Guess I forgot to add the pics!! Here they are!! (White datura, noid canna , & mixed hybrid daylily all started from seeds last year and kept in basement for winter!!

Thumbnail by sbish5   Thumbnail by sbish5   Thumbnail by sbish5      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9395903

Hey Charleen! How are you doing?
Kris, sure hope your neighbor stops in and says hello! Will be nice to meet her!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9395921

So nice outside today. I will be outside if anyone needs me...LOL

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2013
9:21 AM

Post #9395986

Hey, Linda. thought I'd pop in, let you all know I was still alive...
Beautiful here too.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2013
6:44 PM

Post #9396676

cold today here, will be in the high 50"s tommorrow.. got down to 28, not as bad as the 19 the other night. I already have trays outside I set up last fall in the dog run, but too cold for me to go check, maybe this weekend I will go peek. I have one grow tray all planted up, started my water bottle planters since we stil have old fashiond windows with sills. Almost got new windows, but put it off another year. Thank goodness.
Can't wait to meet your new dg member/friend, I know any friend of anyones in this room are ok by me..;)
sbish, your plants look great. I love being able to grow inside, don't you?
I have bulbs popping up, it is way too early. weirdest winter I have ever seen in my life.
I like gardening year round, i either need to move, or need to move LOL
I have been trying to talk sister in to joining. She thinks she would be depressing, I guess. I can't wait to se her plant room. And see my sweet Sadie girl dog, and all the rest of the critters, including my niece and her guy. I will be leaving work to drive down there on the 5th, go to dr with her on the 6th, and hang out and either celebrate or console her. Hoping it will be to celebrate, as last time was not too good. She sounds pretty good for being on chemo so long now.
on a brighter note, my new flowering shrubs are surviving the non winter winter, with the help of my laundry water, so far. I just gotta get that washer to drain outside this summer, without my help LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
7:49 PM

Post #9396769

Debra, I love your growing room! What is the last plant please?
Sending prayers that your Sister gets a good report!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9396808

last plant is nuns orchid... thanks for the Prayers, we are going to need all we can get.

I got your swan seeds together.. do u want to play with some more stuff if I send it, Linda?
Charlies room, east end I even use his closet LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 25, 2013
1:04 AM

Post #9396879

Wow Debra!!! Little bit of jealousy going on here!! Wish I could have my own room to go crazy in !!! Are those all established plants that need to be brought in for the winter or do you start seeds inside also???? I have a couple of brugs cuttings that I rooted in water and have now put in pots--hoping they survive till I can get them outside!! Want to get some more of different colors somewhere along the line! Bought a couple pkts. of mixed color morning glories that I want to get going in the spring also!! Had grandpa ott seeds that I got from my sister last year and loved them so going to look for other types of morning glories also!! Once you start with one it is so easy to get "caught up" in the planting craziness!!

Have a great visit with your sister!! Glad to hear things are going as good as can be expected!! Chemo & radiation are "ugly" things to have to deal with--brings ups & downs--hopefully more ups than downs!!! Continued prayers for you all.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2013 5:08 AM
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2013
3:35 AM

Post #9396906

Elfie - I hope your friend stops by. I would love to meet her.

Deb - please know you and Sissy have never left my prayers. Please drive safely to see her.

One question for you Deb - the first set of pictures, the first picture - what is the broadleafed plant that is kind of in the middle of the photo? I realize it is not a water lotus, but it reminds me of one.

Here's looking forward to Spring. :-)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2013
5:37 AM

Post #9396957

morning friends and sisters. Carolyn that big ole mama is a colocasia i think it is portadora or something like that. I got it as a bulb the first tropical swap i was in and now I have twelve of them if u want one say the word, they love to get big and have babies .. this mama has pumped out almost 30 pups in the last two years.
Altho we could be using this spare space called the ugly basement for storage , I use it to occupy my mind so I don't get depressed. Gardening keeps me sane.
I have slowed down on sending stuff out because of the weather, but i think i can send out a few of these if i clip the leaves and wrap them up good.they spread by runners so I keep them in pots.

Thumbnail by joeswife

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 25, 2013
5:41 AM

Post #9396987

You have a great plant room, Debra. What is that plant on the first row, second from the end?

My nun orchids are just sending up their flower stalks now.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2013
5:52 AM

Post #9397019

Deb - I may just take you up on that. Of course when it warms up - we have another day in the single digits. Brrrrr...

The flowers are pretty - what do they go to? I really love your cellar garden. Do you have a regular watering and feeding schedule or do you just check the first inch or so of soil for dampness?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9397045

Oh Debra, the temptation is there...I would love to have more plants from you!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9397301

Debra - don't you have a thread somewhere about your winter basement garden? It's time you updated your pictures. :)

Sigh - now is the time when I start killing plants. The sun gets longer, plants need more water than they did last month. Some get overwatered, some not enough. Our house is old and breathes so it's not warm enough for some and too hot for others. They move around inside about as much as they do on the back porch in summer. Court makes fun of the "dance" my pots do on the porch. It's serious business, all this dancin'.

Sleet and freezing rain today. Court is home from work early. School was canceled. Treacherous he says the roads are. I don't care for these ice storms we have down south. Never had them up north, but as the climate change causes temps to increase northwards, ice storms are not as uncommon as they used to be.

Can't believe it's Friday already! O well. Going to sit tight and think of the promise of spring. Thanks for the new thread Frootz.

xox
A.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9397355

I made Debra a morning Glory...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 25, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9397386

Nice morning glory!
Amanda, my son and boyfriend of daughter were passing Greensboro about 1PM when they called. They did not mention ice, but probably didn't want to worry us. They are on their way here. Daughter said it is really coming down in Charlottesville. Here inCentral SE Alabama it is 63 degrees and overcast.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9397518

Charlene, that is awesome!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2013
4:34 PM

Post #9397592

Love the chatter and am waving hi to all of you. It's great to see you, Char :) I just moved one of your clay frogs that was about upside down in the pot of kitchen Aloe and have a hummingbird propped up in another pot. Had Charley on our Christmas tree.

Ran errands today thinking I'd beat the snow. Almost did but the ride home took twice as long as normal and I was a nervous nelly concentrating on the roads and the teenage idiots in front of me. Only had 2" so you people living in snow country don't laugh. Normally I go nowhere even when there's a few stray flakes.
Crystal, I think Manda was about the end of the sleet line. We just had a little bit and the snow was fluffy, not like the heavy wet stuff we had this time last week. Hoping your folks have checked in since lunch. The storm is moving East and out to sea so they should be fine.

Must say your basement gardens look better than ever, Debra.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9397684

Charleen that is beautiful! Charlie hangs all the time on Kaitlyn, she is resting from her clipping right now..

All the duke clays are in my curio for now.. I sure miss him

no rain no snow just freezing in the nights and warms up to the 40's and 50's day.. poor plants outside think it is spring.

Goldhilla, that is a Swan Plant milkweed.. I am sending seeds to linda, do u ant to try some? it is now out in the main room.. blooming. it makes big tennis ball size pods with thorny looking spikes.

I would love to give away all these babies.. I just wanna keep the mammas..
I certainly do not miss the driving home on black ice and freezing streets, I always have a problem driving in the dark as it is, I remember when I went off the road to avoid 4 other cars sliding sideways at me on the way home in 09...seems like the older I get, the worse it is to see at night.. is that normal? LOL

Amanda so glad to hear from you, I move my plants around a lot too. I am slowly getting them all on ROLLERS . I don't think I am bringing them up this year.. If it is going to be dry , and hot, then, I am re-thinking my thinking.. i like gardening inside..
This house is old and we have not gotten the cracks and crevices caulked and sealed yet. I can put a lighter to them and watch the flame go sideways. I cover them up with plastic sheeting until I can get them done.
the flower above is the night blooming jessimine blooming again..

Thumbnail by joeswife

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 25, 2013
6:56 PM

Post #9397714

Yes, I would love to try the Swan Milkweed. Is that the milkweed pods in this last picture, or something else?

Before I had my cataract surgery I just could barely see at all at night. When I quit night driving, I could see 4 sets of head lights and could not tell which ones were the real ones. Now I have had both cataracts removed and I no longer use any lenses to help me see. I had worn glasses since third grade, then got contacts when I was 15. Contacts were a miracle to me. Then after the cataract surgery I can actually see. It is a wonder to me and I am so thankful. I have one eye for near vision and one for far vision so I do not require glasses. I already knew how to do this as my contacts had been fitted that way.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 25, 2013
7:29 PM

Post #9397752

just ran across a Dear Abby I had saved from long ago:

Mirror
by Cary Fellman

My face in the mirror
Isn't wrinkled and drawn.
My house isn't dirty'
the cobwebs are gone.
My garden looks lovely
and so does my lawn.
I think I will not
put my glasses back on.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2013
11:29 PM

Post #9397847

I love that poem..
I have an eye disease, it can't be fixed short of an eye transplant. every other year my X increases and the tris still don't help me read. I have been checked for cats, but it is just the veins inside my eye they are away from the wall totally in one eye, but still pumping blood so I have a blind sight with spasms of color and shades, and the other eye is now 30 percent declined. I have bi focul contacts and wore them for years, until i had an accident with them on and had to have them peeled off my eyes, and was wrapped up and blind for two weeks., i only wear contacts for a few hours for special occasions, they just help me to walk around and sorta see where I am going, but can't drive or read menues or see a movie with them. Good if I am drinking I guess.. LOL
My sister has had glaucoma for almost 10 years, we have ni idea where that came from, and they have stopped her teatments due to her cancer.. poor girl..

on a bright note, here is what I did tonight..
first i made the tags key tags and paint pens..
then I set the seeds out one per tag ( checking germination first)

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2013
11:38 PM

Post #9397849

then I got my basket of bottles (drives hubby nutz cuz I have several bottles everywhere)
took the lid off and squished it flat at the top to cut it all but a hinge
added my pearlite mix on the bottom, potting medium on top of tha, vermiculite and MYKE on top of that, sprayed it down in the sink, set my tags in, sprinkled with cinnamon, added the seed, sprinkled a bit more of the vermiculite and taped it shut.
that one is in the south bedroom in the windowsill. hen I made a tray of the rest of seeds. it is ontop the rolling clothes closet downstairs with a lamp over it. I havn't gotten my heat pad out for the two trays, seems to be ok without it right now.

the bud above is my calico vine.. that was march of last year, it had three beautiful big blooms and three smaller ones. By April it was cut back and taken outside. I see little swells on it now, so I am sure to see these again this march..

sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 26, 2013
3:13 AM

Post #9397876

Hey Debra, do you start all your seeds this way?? And what is the cinnamon for???

I save bottle to start seeds in too , but I cut the tops off. Does leaving the tops on help them to do better???

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2013
5:26 AM

Post #9397923

I leave mine alone all the rest of the winter up on the sills, with the caps on and take the cap off to harden them slowly before taking the rest of the top on. the cap keeps the humidity and moisture in for me. I just rotate them around once a week when we change the bedding in the bedrooms. Cinnoman helps keep damp off away and fungus away. I also get 0 gnats with the caps on clean medium.
they trays all have domes or plastic on them too, and the ones outside are covered under heavy clear plastic storage tubs.This weekend I will do the milk and water JUGS that are sitting around here driving every one nutz .
these were from last year, i ended up having all the window sills loaded.. poor Joe.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2013
5:43 AM

Post #9397943

Deb - great info and photos. It is almost like wintersowing, but not outside.

I wish I had enough room for a veggie garden. I did manage to carve out a small area for my kitchen herbs though. I really like using my own fresh herbs for cooking and canning.

sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 26, 2013
5:55 AM

Post #9397956

Debra--Will it work to sprinkle cinnamon 'on top' of existing pots , or does it have to be layered in???

think I just might try leaving tops on for the next ones I do!!

THANKS

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2013
6:09 AM

Post #9397968

Debra, I liked the blue so much , I made another blue and this pink one.
Thank you all for the compliments.We didn't get any ice yesterday but it was cloudy all day.
Beautiful and cool today tho.
Fruity ((((hugs)))) been a long time. I'm back for a while...Sure was missing you ALL.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9397969

Char - I just love the morning glories. How long does it take you to make one? You so talented!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2013
6:19 AM

Post #9397977

After the first one, the next ones are easy. first one can take from 45-60 min to get everything, the way I want them. I can be picky!!! ;-)

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 26, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9397984

What are these morning glories made from?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
1:40 PM

Post #9398343

Crystal, all her flowers and critters are made with polymer clay! It is a clay, you bake in the oven, and when done, it feels like a hard plastic. Great job Charleen!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2013
2:21 PM

Post #9398387

that one looks alot like an akatsu no mai a beautiful glory, Charleen. Such talent!
It is always good to use cinnamon on top of pot soil, dust your seeds with etc etc, it is a natural fungicide, I learned that from Lazlo.
I use cheap flea powder on all the fresh seed gatherings I bring in as they are being dried, that kills any bugs that are hiding in the leaves ..I don't mind bugs, I just don't like the ones that give me a hard time..
carolyn we have a very old 20 yr old refridgerator that still runs, since it won't die hubby won't replace it, i know it isn't energy effiecent like it used to be, but the heat from it on top is where I put and dry all my tomatoe seeds in paper towels, and set my seed cups for soaking.. works like a charm.. Learned that from experimenting.. didn't have a heat pad for plants at that time, but the top of the fridge is always holding something in the form of a seed holder, starter etc. soon as i see a curl come from a seed, I move it to a cup of potting mixture.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2013
2:49 PM

Post #9398413

Debra, that blue one is yours, just got to get it mailed to you!!!!
when I start seeds I like to start them on our upright freezer. It makes a great heating pad...

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9399502

You all are making me antsy for spring. :D

The weather the other day made an impact, though the precipitation lasted for less than an hour. Everything froze up immediately and Court's boss sent everybody home from work (they are all on the road most of the time so she just commanded everyone to stop what they were doing and head home, not back to work).

I was at home anyway so it didn't affect me, thankfully. Nothwithstanding my proud years of experience driving in blizzards, I don't trust anything on ice. And if I can help it, like Frooty, I will stay off the roads just to avoid those other folks who don't know the brake from the gas pedal.

The birds have enjoyed my offerings, so I focus on keeping them fed and have rigged a couple of water dishes with heaters so they can bathe and drink when everything else is frozen.

Hope all's well out there. Very quiet on Sunday evening out on the streets just now. Felt like a ghost town!

A.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2013
7:04 PM

Post #9399540

warmer like spring today, the rain skipped over us here in Derby.. go figger.. :P~ I actually watered the front beds a bit, and dumped all the jugs of laundry and dish water out to the back barrells and house gardens out there. Things are soooo confused right now.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2013
5:36 AM

Post #9399828

Cloudy here so far. Supposed to get in lower 50's. rain is on the way too, they are saying...
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 28, 2013
7:43 AM

Post #9399986

Lets see, the name of this thread is what??? PROMISE OF SPRING chat!!! This does not look like spring to me--ha ha--this started as a fine snow last night around 8 p.m. and steadily turned to rain--which is what it is doing now(just a light drizzle). CRUNCHY SNOW--YEAH--just what I (don't) love!!!! On the up side, it IS WARMER!!!!

Thumbnail by sbish5

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9400046

Then I won't tell you that it is warm here...

Thumbnail by taters55

sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 28, 2013
8:26 AM

Post #9400062

Then I'm coming for a visit Linda!!! Glad to hear it is warm somewhere!! It is actually warmer here today than it has been in the past week!! Hoping this drizzle of rain will "get rid" of the little bit of snow we do have before it can freeze and make a real mess out there!! Was quite slippery in spots last night while it was switching from snow to rain and there were some accidents reported but just had to be "careful" and watch what you were doing!!! School was called off today because of the slippery spots--son quite happy!!
Talked to our daughter in TN this morning and at 8 a.m. she said it was already 50 degrees out!! ENJOY your warm weather while we all get a little jealous!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9400107

I just hate to think how warm our summers is going to be, if we already have 80 degree's in January?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
11:00 AM

Post #9400248

Mmmmm. :/

LK - how has the water situation been this season?

All these crazy storms seem to originate in the gulf and you don't benefit at all. Sorry. Wish I could send some your way.

xox
A.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9400280

We are still in a drought here too, but we are beginning to see some rain.
Linda that is right. If it is warm now, what is it going to be like this summer??? Just have to ride it out like we usually do!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9400339

Not much rain here at all! Pretty dry!

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/ewx/drt/drtmonrain.pdf rainfall averages.

If it is hot again this summer, we will spend it in the pool like all the past summers!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9400364

I am at the house in Smith Station this week. It is very nice weather. So far I have dug up my monster jasmine and got it rammed into a 55 gal pt. How I managed to lift it I have no idea. But I am here to tell you it was HEAVY!!!!!! I also found about 40 Asiatic Lilies. Dug up ally hydranga's. Sorry don't know how to spell that one... Also did some clay work. Loaded and ran my kiln. Now more work tonight. Tomorrow I am thinking to cut down all the roses to about 24 inches so that next time I am here I can dig them all up. There are toooooo many plants here to take care of in one trip.

My passion vine plant took over the gazebo and has likely littered the chairs we had out there off the ground. The vines are about 2 inches thick so I will need a limb cutter to remove them...sigh.. then I get to take down the gazebo next. Good thing I am feeling so much better right???

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
1:46 PM

Post #9400437

Don't over do it Kris! Take care of that back!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9400603

I won't Linda, Goober came over after school and helped. We had lots of fun.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9400772

Glad to hear you had fun today!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2013
8:24 PM

Post #9400835

Kris I know u had frun today, I envy you..
no rain again, it passed us by, was in the low 70's today, Joe announced no bean patch, no potatoes and he doesn't care if I keep it all inside this summer... hmm.. I might put the bananas in the bean patch so I can have a tropical look LOL

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2013
9:15 PM

Post #9400861

Debra, court regrets abandoning his tomato beds to me. Now he wants to do tomatoes, but he can't have the beds back!!! :)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
9:18 PM

Post #9400864

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuPdbs70GmA

Debra, grow potatoes in the basement in an old garbage can!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2013
10:27 PM

Post #9400882

I think that is a great idea.. I have a young tomatoe finally tied up.. it is growing in a tiny pot inserted to a tall vase with rocks.. it is going to bud out in a couple weeks..I am prolly going to move it to the water tub under the big lights soon, then I will grow another one in that vase..
good lord I need to dust~! LOL

while I was upstairs, I took pics of the rest of the upstairs HOUSE plants..
roses old room, south window facing this wall.. Cobra Pothos Same area;; starts of cobra and giant gold marbled Pothos, and a lucky ti plant..
same room east wall oleander and it has buds! ...

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2013
10:34 PM

Post #9400885

also in that room east window.. Hoya,, came as a nine inch cutting from someone on dg named dollie.. it has never bloomed, I train it to wreath form..
the living room is void of any signs of plants

dining room however, different story..morning glorys on my desk facing west, rescued fig leaf ficus , the buffett with a waterford crystal vase holding my lime green tri pothos, Joes 38 yr old tree Philo "Big Boy",
a nice ZZ plant and a tri selfheading rubber tree, pretty much take all the space on this buffett..other than the window sills, that is it for upstairs LOL

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2013
12:26 AM

Post #9400912

You have a green thumb for sure! I have never been so lucky to grow things in the house, until this year.
Love the blue vase in the 4th picture, first group!
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 29, 2013
2:50 AM

Post #9400934

Absolutely stunning Debra!! You really seem to have the "knack" of growing things!!

I have some things going but nothing like what you have!! I had some christmas cactus (9 of them----un-known colors---that my husband bought for me after christmas last year ---they were growing well till my sons cat deceided to bat them around and keep breaking them so I just finally gave in two weeks ago and gave them to my sister. She has BIG beautiful christmas cactus , so thought would be better to give the poor "beat up" babies to her to let them heal!!!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2013
7:56 AM

Post #9401177

Oh Debra I see you have a soffit around your kitchen like I do. I put a shelf around mine and it is great for nic nacks and vines trailing down...rofl. This is the only pic I have with me and the picture was taken while we were building the kitchen and during Christmas, hence the Christmas stuff on the shelf. During the rest of the year it has food advertisements and the such on it. Only thing I wish I could of talked him into was putting a plug in up there, but since the furnance vent runs thru it, that wasn't possible.

Thumbnail by happgarden

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9401290

Happ, I don't see you in the picture, but I like that shelf!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9401453

Beautiful day here today... Even got to scratch in the dirt a bit...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 29, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9401459

o.k., a little green eyed monster called "jealousy" is starting to rear it's head lookin at all these beauties popping up every where else but here!!! Very pretty!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2013
1:05 PM

Post #9401566

Ok things I have done today:
Dug up all my asiatic lilies, dug up all the iris Deejay sent me, cut down a passion vine that was over 25 ft tall. My gosh that was a pain. Dug up my Peruvian lilies. Trimmed back more rose bushes, worked on clay, packed up more stuff in the craft rooms. Took a nap, loaded the kiln, and just when I thought it was finished and ready to fire, I looked down and realized that I had forgotten one of the letters needed to finish the project I am working on. Now you have to understand this was the second firming. So I had to make the letter, put in oven in house to dry. Then I need to underglaze, then glaze then DD to the project all before I can turn the kiln back on... Whew.. I was mad at myself for that one. But at least I caught it before it was done. I would never fire the kiln for just one letter...
Humm what else was O going to do today?? Heck if I know...LOL

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2013
1:45 PM

Post #9401620

Is that all??? LOL!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2013
2:34 PM

Post #9401658

Yeah,, I am on a roll... LOL. Finally got the kiln going. Now just wait and see. So since I still have some daylight I am going to go dig up the grape vines. See you all later...
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9401908

Good grief do I feel like a slug...rofl elfy I didn't know there was that much time in a day!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9402081

good grief Char is it spring there or what? I too, feel jealousy LOL

Kris, I need a large christmas tree base, I broke mine a long time ago ... I have been sitting it with no base for two years, I saw one on ebay, for 14.96 and 14.00 shipping, so I would be glad to pay you to make me one before next christmas.
Gee, no rain AGAIN.. Joyce did u get any? It skipped over us again. :P~

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9402103

Hummmm. Exactly what size does the base need to be?

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 29, 2013
9:02 PM

Post #9402127

Kris, it's too late to say this, but grape vines root so easy, you could have just taken cuttings and they would probably be as far along as the ones dug up. Lordy, you are a wheel horse!!!
Went to Callaway Gardens today. It is free during the week in Jan and Feb. The daffodils are coming out (well, so are mine!) I'll try to load up some pics I took today.
First Pic is some orchids and a bromilead, second pic is a slipper orchid. Both of these were in the Sibley horticultural center
Third pic is in the butterfly center. Fourth is Bauhinia- Orchid tree

Thumbnail by goldhillal   Thumbnail by goldhillal   Thumbnail by goldhillal   Thumbnail by goldhillal   

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2013
9:42 PM

Post #9402137

Crystal,, I got side tracked. Went to Goober and took them out to dinner. So no grape vines dug up today. However, the guy I am selling my property to said to please take all the plants with me. So I will cut them way back and transplant them to new land.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2013
10:18 PM

Post #9402147

Beautiful flower blooms Goldhillal
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 31, 2013
4:06 AM

Post #9403445

Very pretty Crystal!! Don't you just love taking a stroll through those places??? Soooo pretty and peaceful!!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
4:33 AM

Post #9403459

I am all packed up and ready to head for home. Burrrrr it is cold this morning. Already turned off the heat a couple of hours ago. It might have been a mistake. I have been up since 3 am. Maybe I should take a short nap before I leave..
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 31, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9403462

Have a safe drive kris!!!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 31, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9403528

Hope everyone is safe this morning...nasty weather yesterday..north GA got hammered. We have 3 trees that were blown down, but mostly because they were already dead, but one took out our wood fence. UGH!
The worst was the wind ripped off all the plastic on my GH...supposed to be 28 tonight or tomorrow and I don't know what I am going to do with the plants. BUT, good news...some guys are supposed to be coming today to BUILD me a new GH (fingers crossed) somewhere around a 18 X 36. I have finally convinced my husband that we should be growing more vegetables and things. He agreed to build me one so I could start seeds hopefully in the next couple of weeks. The guys said it wouldn't take them but a couple of days to build the GH (IF they will actually work on it!!) They are actually employees of ours that do all our maintence and things at our warehouse, so I don't know how long it will actually take. They were supposed to start Tuesday morning and just now come to get the trailer to get all the lumber and supplies. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out...I'm a little nervous...I would prefer another polycarbonate one, but beggars can't be choosey.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

January 31, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9403541

Best of luck on getting your new greenhouse done Paula!! Would absolutely love to have a greenhouse--but it simply is not "in the cards" (as they say) at this time!!

Growing veggies is great!! My husband does a medium size garden every year & he LOVES it!! The veggies are all his!! Our youngest son has a small "plot" of his own that he chooses what to plant in it and takes care of it!! He even chose popcorn for the last two years -- didn't get many ears but enough for our evening snack on Thanksgiving day!!

Our oldest son lives with his girlfriend and is following in his dads' footsteps & had a wonderful veggie garden!! Everyone was quite surprised with how well he did with it--except for us--we weren't surprised at all--he always helped out hubby with ours when he was still living here , so we KNEW he would do well with it!!!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

January 31, 2013
6:07 AM

Post #9403544

Oh, Paula, I am so sorry about the greenhouse. That happened to me many years ago, and I understand some of what you are feeling. I had to bring all my plants into the house because it was winter when it happened to me, also.
I'll be thinking of you and hope the builders get there soon!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

January 31, 2013
6:15 AM

Post #9403553

Thanks Crystal, I haven't actually gone out there yet to see how the plants faired, but they should be ok. That one was just an overflow...plants that are semihardy, but I wanted to protect them. If need be I can cram them in the other GH for a night or two.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2013
6:54 AM

Post #9403581

A NEW VALENTINE CARD SWAP :) HURRY CHECK US OUT
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296313/

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9404220

goldhillal wrote:Oh, Paula, I am so sorry about the greenhouse. That happened to me many years ago, and I understand some of what you are feeling. I had to bring all my plants into the house because it was winter when it happened to me, also.
I'll be thinking of you and hope the builders get there soon!

same here, Paula.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
5:42 PM

Post #9404231

O want a greenhouse... Whaaaaaaaaa
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9404320

Me too, Elfie.

Paula, you must be beside yourself! Hope those guys can get another one up for you soon and that you don't lose many plants.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9404370

Please post pics of the greenhouse going up! Think most of us are living vicariously thru u when it comes to a greenhouse...rof

Hi Debra we did get rain that turned to ice that turned to snow!! 74 on monday down to 6 windchill -8!!

I hate cold...Deejay I hear it is bitter stupid cold up there!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
8:06 PM

Post #9404394

Well I really had another great day.
I went to pay my property taxes and saw a sign for a herb nursery, I decided to stop and see what they had. There was a really nice woman who owns the place. She showed me around the greenhouse and her garden. She has lots of cool plants. While I was there fed x showed up to deliver her late plants she told me she had 2 people there all day long the day before waiting for those plants. And because of the storms it was late. So I offered to help her unpack everything. I ended up being there for over 2 hours. We got done and were headed back to my car and she offered me a part time job!!!! It will be continent on her partners approval. But she told me she would let me know on Monday. I am so excited. She also sells a really wide variety of Geraniums. She is supposed to email me a list. If any one is interested I can dmail you a list of her plants. I would be glad to pick up and send any thing she has for you guys.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 1, 2013
3:41 AM

Post #9404526

Oh how exciting Kris! Good Luck! Things are turning your way. If you get the job, you'll have to let us know what all she has..sounds interesting. I want some mints.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2013
4:02 AM

Post #9404542

It has been a reall mess Over by the shoreline but we have about about 3-4 " more coming in later today
to dark out to see what is going on out there was just cold when i let the cat out he came right back in .
Lots of white outs & Crashes so i will stay home :)

well FEB is Here wonder if the Ground Hog Will see his SHADOW ???? YES OR NO ???
well have a great day
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 1, 2013
4:24 AM

Post #9404554

REALLY cold here also today but no snow or anything!!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2013
4:26 AM

Post #9404555

Kris, I am envious, what a wonderful oppurtunity I hope you do get to work with her..

Susie, I kinda hope for more winter since we have yet to get any snow
Joyce, so cold here, and so dry it is ridiculas.

Love ya all/// Debra
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 1, 2013
4:35 AM

Post #9404562

That would be awesome Kris! Hope it works out for you!!!! I would absolutely love to work at a greenhouse!!

NO, no , no Debra---NO, no , no SNOW!!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2013
5:27 AM

Post #9404607

I am seriously happy that things are going so well for me this year. I am ready for a good year. The last 4 years have been so full of pain, drama, and illness. I just want to have a healthy happy year!!!!

Will definitely let you know about the plant list. She has tons of mint!!!!

This message was edited Feb 1, 2013 9:52 AM
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 1, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9404655

Great! Hurry, hurry, hurry spring!!! You all just would not believe everything blooming here, even the azealas. Of course, supposed to be in the 30s this weekend.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2013
8:55 AM

Post #9406865

Oh elfie what fun to have a job u love! Course I would never have a dime left of a paycheck. A million years ago I worked for macys in the IT department and your Id card was a credit card and employee discount card..and I was I was in my 20's...rof. Suppose to be 46 here this afternoon but I am working outside period...rofl
everything just needs cleaned up. I worked all day in the solar room yesterday.

Hope everything works out for u elfish it is ur turn.
First1girl
( Gwen ) Kellyton, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
7:47 PM

Post #9407522

Hello Everyone, I talked to Mud Elf this afternoon and I am sorry I haven't had time to visit here. I am busy with my job and taking care of my parents. These warm day are making me want to get out in the sun and play in the dirt. I have a lot to learn and I am so excited to be a part of all of you. Elfie and I are going to have fun this spring because I am going to worry her to death with all of my questions about my plants. My azaleas are blooming and have been bit by the cold. Plant are popping up all over my yard. My husband and I do a little of all gardening he has fruit trees and I do vegetables and flowers. My bedroom is full of my green plants and they want to go out in the sun. I keep my green plant on the patio in the shade under the pecan tree and they love it all summer. I bring them in the day before the first frost and they stay inside until we have cool nights in March. Tomorrow is Monday and a busy day at the college. Elfie is coming for a visit tomorrow and I am excited. Talk again soon . Gwen Rich, central Alabama (Kellyton)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2013
8:21 PM

Post #9407540

Hey Gwen, so nice to see you made it here! New friends are always welcome here!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
8:23 PM

Post #9407543

Yea!! Gwen stopped by. We are going to her house to celebrate the paying off of the land up here. So we will check in tomorrow night,, that is unless we get to having to much fun talking about our garden plans!

This message was edited Feb 3, 2013 11:24 PM

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
8:27 PM

Post #9407548

Hey taters, I will ship your box out Monday or Tuesday. Would you like to try some Apple gourd seeds? I got a bunch in the mail the other day. Also will include your surprise I got for you last week. Will be one very full box. LOL

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2013
8:35 PM

Post #9407556

I would love to try some, thanks!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9407561

Will add them to your stash...

Night. Tomorrow is a busy day!!!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 4, 2013
3:54 AM

Post #9407675

Hi Gwen...welcome! This is a wonderful group!

I am so tired of cold weather! This is the longest period of cold we have had so far. I noticed a couple of my amarylis had started coming up and the 28 got them the other night. Waaa! I hope they recover.

Here is my plastic GH that got ripped to shreds and the new one going up. They are 'supposed' to be finished with it tomorrow, if all goes well, but we will see.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066         

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2013
4:00 AM

Post #9407678

That is going to be so nice! Wish I had the land you have!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 4, 2013

Post #9407683

Thanks Linda...its still very much a work in progress. We have been here a year now and I MAY have half of it done. BTW, I forgot to cut back the morning glory tree before the frost hit it. We were actually gone when the first cold snap hit. I will check it out and see what it looks like, but may be summer before I can get you the cutting.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2013
4:57 AM

Post #9407729

No hurry on the cutting. You have a lot on your plate right now.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2013
5:15 AM

Post #9407745

Wow GAgirl,, it looks like the plastic one must of been flapping in the breeze, how sad ;( But the other one looks like it is going to be GREAT! So much fun! I can't wait to see it finished. I agree with you I am so tired of the cold.

Oh Elfie what a great celebration to be paying off your land!!! Enjoy!

Spent the day Saturday cleaning the solar room plants and everything in there...geehz, then Sunday I was determined to work outside and I did and I feel it...rofl, ... I tell you I feel muscle I usually only feel in the spring...rofl. Funny I have plastic pots still frozen to the ground, but I did notice I have daffs coming up which I think is a little early since we are just barely in Feb. Sides we havent exactly had a run of warm days so I am really surprised.

Have a great day you guys.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 4, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9407806

GAgirl, I know you are anxious to get the greenhouse rebuilt. I know I would be. The old greenhouse looks really sad.Hope they get the new one finished soon. Are you using 2 layers of plastic on the new one.

A morning glory tree! never heard of such! The pictures I saw online and at dave's and the flowers remind me of some I've seen in Florida as bedding plants, but the leaves are definitely different. Also The ones I have seen are no more than 3 feet tall. Does this plant spread? I see that the USDA plant base lists it as a noxious weed in some places. I want it (as I want all plants I don't have!) but would like to know some people's experiences with it from a spreading viewpoint.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 4, 2013
6:34 AM

Post #9407874

Crystal,
We're going to put polycarbonate on the roof so it will be permanent and hold in more heat and plastic on the sides so it can be raised or removed during the summer. I have a 6 or 8 mil plastic...I will probably try one at first, but if it does't hold the heat I will run two layers.

I personally can't answer about the morning glory tree as I have only had it last year and its only been in the ground since early fall, but one of my neighbors has it and hers does't spread at all.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9407906

Crystal would you like some Apple gourd seeds as well?? Anyone else. I have about 50 or so.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
7:18 AM

Post #9407917

Paula,, What are you going to do with your old greenhouse frame???
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 4, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9408053

Hey Kris,
I would like some apple gourd seed if you have extra. I'm going to put plastic back over it when I have time, but first I want to build a frame around the bottom so I can staple the plastic to it and get a tighter fit. I may actually move it to a different location a little more sheltered for next year and not right out in the open. But it may be ok now, it will be in the middle of the other two GH now so that will cut done on some of the wind.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2013
10:05 AM

Post #9408124

Sure thing, I will get them out to you this week. Do I have your addy? D mail it to me just in case. I can share 6 packets of 10 seeds each. So speak up guys.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2013
10:55 AM

Post #9408161

Morning glory tree, is just that, a tree, it is not a vine, and it does not spread. Mine got to about 10-12 foot tall last year. They are not good at producing seeds, so you have to cut them back in the winter like you do angel trumpets.
This was mine last summer.
They come in white, lavender, and pink blooms. I have the white one.

Thumbnail by taters55   Thumbnail by taters55         

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2013
12:48 PM

Post #9408296

I was going through My seeds & Found Some Seeds that said MORNING GLORY TREE Seeds Very Large & Hard so I Soaked them in HOT Water Put them in Soil & As of Sataturday Feb 2 Here is what I Have .
I had Planted them On Jan 27th I think it was the other seedlings are Blue shrimp plants & Mimosa Silk tree
all doing well so far .

I Can't remember who sent me the seeds for the MG Tree & I don't know the color so guess it will be a surprise if i can keep them alive till spring :)

well off to check my other forums :) back later

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9         

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9408341

Did your seeds have fuzz on them? This is what the seeds look like from the morning glory tree.

Thumbnail by taters55

Goober_Fairy
Smiths, AL

February 4, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9408417

Cool

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9408628

mine from seeds looked like the one given to me by another DG'r, mine are lavender blooms or pink depending on the way you look at them. the spreading one reminds me of the "bush morning glory" which looks like a green tumbleweed with large lav to pink blooms. I saw a lot of pandurata while I was down south, it spreads like a heavy low lying vine.
Someone sent me some apple gourd seeds one year and i planted them in late spring at the top of charlie's cement steps leading down th the dock, in a small patch of dirt. the climbed all the way down and out to the dock loaded with apple shaped gourds, then it got cold early in Fall and they all froze on the vine before I could rescue them.. another bedding glory is the i batata, rambles about a foot tall and creeps and spreads, and does bloom when happy.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 5, 2013
4:56 AM

Post #9408950

Kris, I'd like some apple gourd seed. Just bring them when you come my way.

Now I've forgotten who offered the Morning Glory tree, but if you see this, I WOULD like to try it. Thanks for all the info, so It sounds like it won't cover the earth. One of my concerns in my search for the new and different (to me) plant is that I will become known as the one who released a green menace on the planet!! So please send me some. O! GA girl. When and if you get time, I would like MG tree! You are making a lot of good headway with the greenhouse. You also have a good plan.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2013
5:17 AM

Post #9408964

LK Yes That is what they looked like There was about 5-6 & I Have them Planted Growing good right now .
well off to the doctors soon More Blood draw back later
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 5, 2013
5:24 AM

Post #9408966

O.K. I think the morning glory tree thing has gotten EVERYONES attention!!! and I second that Crystal--if anybody has seeds / cuttings for them, I also would love to try them!!

Very cool Susie--you will have to post more pics for us as the grow!!

And all these pics and all this talk of greenhouses is making me a little jealous!! Would so love to have a greenhouse--even a small one!! Maybe someday!!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9409280

Shirley If I Can keep them alive till June & If you want one you will have a chance for it by coming down to the swap :) I Know your bro is getting married ,LATER IN THE DAY RIGHT So come down I'm only 1 1/2 hr away from ya :))) Good reason right ???? you just have to HAVE ONE :))) Right ???
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 5, 2013
2:13 PM

Post #9409502

Would absolutely love to come down to the swap Susie!! Wedding is at 12:00 noon and daughter and son are both in it so guess who will have my daughters 5 kids(ages 9 months to 10 years old) while they are getting ready??????? I think we all know the answer to that one!! GRANDMA!!!! That pretty much sums up my day!!!! LOL

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2013
7:46 PM

Post #9409818

Well more interesting things going on here. I will be gone for much of the next few weeks. Have something very important going on. Will try to update everyone as it goes. But do not worry if I am out of touch for a bit. I am doing great. Just have something we need to take care of.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 11, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9415335

Yesterday I took these pics in my yard before the rain started. Overnight we got about 3.7 inches rain.

Thumbnail by goldhillal   Thumbnail by goldhillal   Thumbnail by goldhillal   Thumbnail by goldhillal   

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 11, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9415341

another pic I could not get to load

Thumbnail by goldhillal

sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 11, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9415424

VERY PRETTY Crystal!! And LOVE your bench!! Did you do the top????

This is the top of one of my plant stands my son made for me almost 5 years ago!! One of my cherished possessions!!!

Thumbnail by sbish5

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 11, 2013
10:18 AM

Post #9415449

No, unfortunately, I didn't make the bench. There was a hunting trailer across the road and after it was abandoned, I went over there and rescued this bench. It was tough to move, but with some help I got it done.

What made me take the picture of the bench (and other flowers also) was that I was looking out the window and a cardinal was sitting on the bench, and it was just perfect with the flowers behind him. Of course I could not get a pic of him, but the rest of the pic reminds me of what I saw. Red birds are special to me, a sort of winter talisman I guess.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 11, 2013
11:17 AM

Post #9415533

AHHH, that's just my luck too--either miss the bird totally or get just the edge of them as they fly away!! Lucky find on that bench--looks very nice there among the daffodils!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9415680

Love that bench too! Love the flowers, so pretty! Our ash tree's are just starting to bud!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9415714

I have lots of daffs coming up now too. No pictures yet. Need a new camera. Mine will not turn on, even with new batteries. Guess it is about time as it is 6 years old.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9417009

Well no pictures of no flowers here in the northland...I wish well sort of it is too early for us so I will have to live thru your beautiful pics! I need to move. They are calling for snow... ;( Need the moisture but I am ready for spring. Every body at work seems way stressed, down, and grumpy...has to be the weather.

We have had robins around for several weeks...poor guys. There can't be any bugs out there. Need to look and see what they eat.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
3:31 AM

Post #9417398

I'm with you happ I'm so ready for spring My days & Nights are so messed up right Played cards with the kids last night till after 11pm came home fell asleep by 12 am & wide awake at 3 am sure hate these sleepless nights .

so guess i will go read the other forums ya all have a great day

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 13, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9417445

I have had sleep troubles for several years. Sometimes when I feel like hardly slept, when I get up, I feel Ok. So I changed my tune, if I feel ok, I must have slept enough. I did get to the point where I dreaded going to bed because I knew what it would be like. Lately I had been taking a benydryl at bedtime, having heard that drs often prescribe that for older folks for sleep. However, it made my mouth dry, and i had to get up 4/5X at night to pee. So I stopped it a couple nights ago and am sleeping better.
I wrote a poem several years ago about sleeplessness. I will hunt it up and post it if anyone is interested.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9417473

I would love to see the poem.
I rarely sleep more than 5 hours a night. I have to pray my self to sleep.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
6:50 AM

Post #9417551

I have never been a big sleeper, I can remember laying on the hard floor in kintergarten on this little rug (like that made any difference) just watching the kids that could fall asleep! Even at 5 it was amazing to me... Then high school hit and all my friends I think slept til noon! It killed me, I was up and 8 and ready to go do whatever it was we did...rofl. Now thru the week I go to bed about 11 or 11:30 and I am up for work at 4:30 or 5:00. I hate all those "studies" who tell me I am going to die early... The way I see it we must have X amount of time. We can live long if we sleep half of it away, or I can be awake and enjoy it and not live as long...so in awake hours it probably all measures out...rofl.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9417584

I love your ideas about life. I rarely sleep much, never have.

Got to go,, lots to get done before my fun day with Crystal tomorrow!!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
9:04 AM

Post #9417698

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1298190/

There is an Easter swap open, come and check it out please?
First1girl
( Gwen ) Kellyton, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2013
10:51 AM

Post #9417813

Hey Yall, Just stopped in to say, Hey!!!! Elf and I had some fun Saturday we went thrift shopping. Elf got all the good buys. I will not take my husband next time.
I am another one that does not sleep well. I have 3 different beds that I sleep in, if 1 doesn't sleep good I move to another. I also take a benadryl for sleep. I am looking forward to this spring and summer. I want to play in the dirt.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9417841

Hey Gwen, glad to hear you had a good time with Kris! I think were all waiting for nice weather to play in the dirt. it has been in the 80's here, but the weather man says we may still get one more freeze, so I will be patient!
First1girl
( Gwen ) Kellyton, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2013
11:36 AM

Post #9417847

Hello Linda, I will be patient, when it decides to stop raining here in Alabama I plan to start cleaning out and getting my beds ready. We are floating here in Kellyton, AL. Warm weather is just around the corner.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 13, 2013
1:01 PM

Post #9417922

Here's my Sleep Poem

Sleep

O Joy of Sleep,
That drops like a stone
Straight thru
To the gilded skies of morning.

No opening/closing windows
No lights on/off
No covers down/up
No dogs barking
No headlights on the wall
No exchanging bed/bed/chair
The rest of the damned.

Only a sweet black nothing,
Waiting the dew,
The breeze,
The first light,
The call of a new day.

5/16/04

I have been sleeping poorly for years as evidenced by the date of this poem

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9417980

Well my silly self was taking boxes out of the attic. One was full of books and I got it all the way to the last step of the porch, dropped the box on the dolly and it flew up and knocked me down on my butt. Now My nose is a skinned up and I am afraid I will have 2 black eyes for my day with Crystal tomorrow...LOL..

Ralph has forbidden me to do any more work today. Plus I cannot go to sleep in case I gave myself a concussion. Ah the joys of packing up,, AGAIN!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9418044

Oh Kris, you need to be careful please?

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9418049

I am Murphy's Law!!! Heehee
Goober_Fairy
Smiths, AL

February 13, 2013
6:44 PM

Post #9418331

Nana are you gonna be ok ou sound off lol i lovve you tho
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 14, 2013
3:56 AM

Post #9418552

HAPPY VALENTINES TO ALL!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 14, 2013
4:05 AM

Post #9418559

Happy Valentines Day!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
6:03 AM

Post #9418650

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2013
6:47 AM

Post #9418719

HAPPY HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!!!!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 14, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9418755

We have some weak sun this AM after days of rain. I had about 6 inches since Sunday. Glad to see even weak sun. Pretty cool,too. More like Alabama winter. 42 degrees at 9AM
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 14, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9418793

Cold and turning into a "white" Valentines Day for us!

Thumbnail by sbish5

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9418797

Crystal, love the poem. Do you write alot of them? My Dad wrote poems...I have them in a photo album.

Elfie, not good for elf's to go flying, that is suppose to be left to fairies! Take it easy...

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY everyone.

We are still in our drought and sun shining. I am really worried about my hostas...those tree roots suck the life out of everything and our moisture level is the pits. The farmers are going to be screaming if we don't get spring rains.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2013
8:33 PM

Post #9419459

happgarden wrote:Crystal, love the poem. Do you write alot of them? My Dad wrote poems...I have them in a photo album.

Elfie, not good for elf's to go flying, that is suppose to be left to fairies! Take it easy...

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY everyone.

We are still in our drought and sun shining. I am really worried about my hostas...those tree roots suck the life out of everything and our moisture level is the pits. The farmers are going to be screaming if we don't get spring rains.

I agree with everything Joyce said. I am using my bath water to jug up now, and Joe is jugging up the laundry water, even College gIRL IS COUNTING THE DROPS BEFORE THEY GO DOWN THE DRAIN by catching the kitchen sink water in square tubs and then emptying them out the back door to the bean patch area..
oops.. anywayz, I still think the US needs a pipeline network that would be built in states that get too much rain and snow and bring to the states with no rain or snow, work for those that needs jobs, farmers can grow crops and we can all have gardens without worrying about too much water or not enough. Ok off my soap box.

my basement gardens like the epsom salts in my bath water, and the outside stuff loves the laundry water..

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2013
8:37 PM

Post #9419460

Happy Valentines Day only 35 days until Spring they say.. my night blooming jessimine is blooming again,

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
5:13 AM

Post #9419618

What a good idea Debra.

I know I have told you all about the 3 cats I moved into my garden room...my Mom's, my sisters, and mine...I truely believe they could knock over a small suv if it gets in their way...good grief...how can something so little possible knock EVERYTHING off the shelves...I don't think a day goes by I am not cleaning up a knocked over plant. I don't nearly have the plants I use to have because I knew the cats were moving in and figured it would be a problem...so I didn't winter over so many plants but unless the pot is against the wall with a railing around it, off they go. I have cabinets in my garden room and the cats have figured out how to get on top of them! Course they all have beds and a big huge comforter to lay on, but the favorite spot is a flower pot! My cat is a huge black cat and when it lays in the pot, it pics a really pretty small pot and she hangs over the edge, sure doesn't look comfortable, but that is her spot. My Moms cat pics empty pots and gets down in them and I can't find her. Sure wish for many different reasons my sister could take hers and Moms cat back but I think they are here for the long term...so I am just going to have to get cat smarter...rofl...

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 15, 2013
5:28 AM

Post #9419634

So funny--a cat knocking over an SUV!!
But these circumstances would get my goat. Cats are supposed to be graceful and light-footed. I guess no one ever explained that to them, huh?
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 15, 2013
5:38 AM

Post #9419645

Ahhh! What we don't put up with from our beloved pets!! Our cat has deceided that she "needs" to chew on my plants! Only certain ones though! I had to give my sister all of my Christmas cactus (can see in pic behind our cat) because she was chewing pieces off them!! Not eating them , just biting the pieces off and leaving them lay on the counter!! She is a rescue cat that we got from the pound for my son a few years ago. LOVE her to pieces but at times -- OH MY!!!!

Thumbnail by sbish5

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
5:40 AM

Post #9419649

Well they are light footed for sure, hence getting on top of the cabinets, you can't imagine how big a mess a pot can be when it comes flying off the top of the cabinet with dry soil. I let my calidum bulbs stay in the pots and let them just dry out. I had put them on top of the cabinets...but that rubbing on things and walking on everything...good grief. Guess it could be worse...it is like coming into a room that has been occupied by 3, 2year olds all day without supervision. Mom use to tell me paybacks would be hell, so I took her at her word and didn't have any children...rofl, so I guess she still figured out a way to get me back... ;)

As crazy as they make me, just like a 2 year old, they come up and just want to love you to death...so I forgive them, until the next time.

Your kitty is so pretty...mine eat certain plants but they haven't thought about just biting them off...rofl, I am sure they will. All the people I know who have cats and pony tail palms (which have sharp leaves I think), the cats love eating them. So first thing my palm came out before they moved in.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2013 7:42 AM

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 15, 2013
5:48 AM

Post #9419662

That cat looks like one I had before i married. Hubby does not like cats, so I found a home for him when we married. His name was Cat and he was a real sweetie. However, he eventually lost his marbles and started attacking the other animals where he lived. But, if I had your cat and mine together, I wonder if I could tell the difference. Beautiful coloration--I love the black and white- looks elegant. My Cat was a medium sized one but very heavy. (He liked to eat)

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 15, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9419670

I heard the weather this AM---they are calling for snow showers tonight and tomorrow. Yipee!! I am getting my hot chocolate ready!! Around here, the snow may be gone before you can get the chocolate made.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 15, 2013
5:59 AM

Post #9419680

Crystal, my hubby was not to fond of cats either when we got together many years ago--he is more of a dog person--but when he got me , a literal ZOO came along with me! And that of course included a cat! We have always had at least one cat and one dog (which is what we have now) but usually lots of other things as well! Have always been an animal person and so are all of our kids & grandkids! Bonnie (our cat) weighed almost 10 lbs when we got her from the pound and she now weighs almost 15 lbs !! My son picked her out!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9420047

Oh Crystal I am so glad you are having snow and not me...rofl...as much as I want moisture I would enjoy rain alot more than snow. The poor car body people have got to be going broke! Course now it is so bad if we get two rain drops everyone crashes and burns...why is that? Sides it takes tons of snow to equal inches of rain.

We have lots of animals but someday would like to do some traveling for a couple of years so would like to be kidless for those, then we can come back and start the animal shelter again...rofl.

One of the things I have on my list to want to do is mine for gold, diamonds, rubies, emeralds, you can travel across the US and prospect. I know it sounds crazy but I just want to try it, sides I get to see the whole US.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2013
6:05 PM

Post #9420383

Joyce, I am with you on the seeing the US and the mining too.. My thrill would be standing in a running creek bed with a shake pan and seeing sparkles looking up at me LOL

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 15, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9420518

Well, snow was a bust. When I looked on the computer they said 2% chance. Now who would report 2% as a chance of snow? I have a better than 2% chance of winning the lottery w/o a ticket. I wish they had just said probably not. sad sad. And tomorrow is supposed to be wicked cold and windy.
I can hear you northerners mocking me about wicked cold and windy. Go ahead. I was not made for real winter!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2013
5:16 AM

Post #9420676

SNOWY wintery day here they say 3-6 i think it was so just staying in staying warm
Have a great weekend .

susie
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 16, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9420705

Cold , blustery day here also Susie!! Not snowing as of now but they say it is supposed to :( Going over to my mothers house to play cards with her , some of my sisters, and nieces! And taking her these to help brighten up these nasty , cold days. Started them in pots the beginning of January!

Stay warm everyone!!

Thumbnail by sbish5

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9420717

Crystal, I wouldn't mock anyone about cold, I am not made for it either...I have zone envy of you all...rolf.
We had a dusting of snow about 40 miles from where I live none here.
Debra I watched a show that went across the US panning for precious metals and stones...don't know why that sounds fun. I want to travel the US before we become one generic big walmart and mcdonalds with no differences. I can see it happening so fast.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2013
7:05 AM

Post #9420791

To Late for that Joyce there is a wal mart or 2 in every CITY & Town within 50 mi I see so far 92 wal- marts just here in mich . & $1 stores in every town . if its not food its Banks How can our country be in so much debt yet build so many banks ? well i think i will get off here & Get something done have a great day .
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9421038

rofl...I know deejay. I use to go to Oklahoma City alot and I could go in a mall or walmart and forget I was 7 hours from home! Everything was the same...but every once in a while I would find a little shop or a small resturant that wasn't a chain and it would be so nice. Like OK City is one of the few places I know of where you can get fried bologna sandwiches...now I remember in the south getting grits with everything and honey with chicken which were sooo different from Missouri. San Antonio I think those hot peppers came on everything I ate...rofl. Use to be the greatest little hamburger shop by where I worked but he would stick a hot pepper on top of the bun with a toothpick. First time I took it off but forgot the juices from being stabed by the toothpick leaked on the bun and set my mouth on fire...rofl. Hopefully by the time I get on my journey not all those spots will be gone and you all can tell me where to visit to hit all the 'cool' spots... ;)

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9421110

Shelia. those are so pretty. Last year I did that with breast cancer awareness tulips and it was fun to give them to my sis in law..

Joyce, I try to go to any lil place that is not affilated with a chain or big box or anything, just to support the small business owner and see some real stuff.. Sister and I enjoyed our trip to branson the but trip home was better as we stopped at a lot of small off the road places that were awsome. No snow here. no rain here. I am watring today with the olaundry watr before it spins out, so I am getting excersize after I worked for 5 hurs anyway..
Everytime I think it is too uch work, I chide myself as I am using all my body muscles to get the water jugged and carried and dumped and spread out where I want it.
Tonight I will be exhausted in a healthy way. :D
I saw Neener has bid on one of my daughters acrylics on ebay.. where are you Neener.. thank you!
Someone called nana_loves_ fairies is bidding and winning a lot of stuff there, sister will be happy when I send her some cash in the mail.

Just undid another Aunt EFFIE bOX, OH BROTHER! lol

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9421365

I wonder who nana_loves_fairies could be???????

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9421377

I don't know but I just got off phone with sister and she is kacited about her old beehive thingy selling. She was gonna stick it in a garage sale this May for a buck. We did find out her pink bitters indian bottle is not an original, so only worth 3500. and not 36 thousands, dang LOL
Who sent me the alba mimosa? seeds? I just transplanted a three inch tall seedling from it's nursery to it's own bedroom... LOL

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 16, 2013
8:00 PM

Post #9421468

I planted onion sets today.
I have planted a lotta seed in the Gh but not much up yet. The lettuces are coming along tho. Expecting 25degrees here tonight.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9421486

I have tomatoes and peppers up and being transplanted, just finished planting candy tuft, josephs coat, white ros dbl, dahlia unwins mix, giant 4 o clcoks magenta,amd red corm poppy to go outside and winter into spring.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 17, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9421706

I have some incredibly fat robins in my yard the last 2/3 days. They let me walk up pretty close to them before they fly off a short ways. I'm so glad to see them.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9421742

We have had robins my DH said since about January...we are suppose to get rain, freezing rain, and snow Wednesday thru Thursday...yuck.

I need to water, geehz I hate watering...rofl. You are right Debbie it is good exercise, cause it weighs a ton... I have a friend and we go "junking" which is just taking a road trip and hitting every small shop or junk store we can find. We have so much fun.

sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 17, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9421758

Have not seen any robins in this area yet!! Am waiting ( not so patiently , I might add) to start seeing them again!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9421759

I worry about them freezing their little tail feathers off around here. Today almost 60 tho.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2013
5:55 PM

Post #9422430

oh yes, the Robins are everywhere here, since January, it has been a very non-winter winter.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
6:10 AM

Post #9424046

Glad to see some of your stuff selling on Ebay Debra!
Morning everyone! Nice and warm here, it is 45 right now, but supposed to be 75 today!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9424108

We have a few swaps open, come and check them out.

6th Annual 3 B-House Swap
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1298478/

6th Annual 3 B-House Swap
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1298190/
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9424249

Winter storm watch has been issued for us starting Wednesday night into Thursday! Worst snow in 2 years they are saying...We will start with rain, sleet, ice, then lots and lots of snow, blizzard conditions...sounds wonderful.

The storm system also is expected to pose a triple threat to the country over the next three days, eventually bringing snow to the Southwest, a blizzard to the Central Plains, and severe storms to Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas.

Additionally, areas farther south including Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas and Mississippi, could see severe thunderstorms with possibly strong tornadoes from this weather system, CNN's weather unit says.

So get ready to hunker down everyone...I have all the chili fixins sitting and waiting...rofl.

Later on in the week, the storm system could dump up to 6 inches of rain on areas from Mississippi to Georgia.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
9:36 AM

Post #9424332

Sorry to hear about the storms, but I know the Mississippi river sure could use the rain!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
11:01 AM

Post #9424429

Please take all the rain you need. I can do no moving in the downpour. So praying for dry weather here. Just one week and then it can rain all it wants...

Well back to the boxes, and boxes, and boxes...sigh..

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013

Post #9424456

Hope your not over doing it Kris!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9424519

Mail lady just came, I am super charging with CHOCOLATE right now. That means I will be really hyper all day and sick tomorrow...LOL. But I just don't care. Chocolate,, umm, love chocolate...

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2013
7:40 PM

Post #9424911

YIPPEE!!! SUPPOSED TO GET SOME SNOW! Sorry, I will believe when I see it. sheesh. I am tired from jugging laundry water.

Sister called me today, I need some prayers, her pain is really bad from the bone cancer now and she has refrained from sayng yes to the morphine. Should she say yes?
I told her no. She hasn't even tried the loritabs yet. I told her to try those first. *sigh* she is scared the cancer is spreading from no chemo for 5 weeks.
She has started her radiation to erradicate the cancer tumors causing the pain on her pelvic/hip bone.
5 treatments and back to chemo. she is ready for the chemo warfare again.
ok thanks , I needed to worry a bit out loud. We were so busy yesterday and today at work I am exhausted. wish we could all go to FAYE/RAYS and pull
weeds.
Kris, please do not get sick. We all need to stay healthy for each other. I am So tired I am not listing anything new until this weekend, too tired to undo the box and take pictures. Is anyone on dissability? Sister told me the check for longterm hasn't come in yet and social security won't start until after the 22nd . is this normal? Last month her short term only gave her 4 bucks why even bother?*sigh* ok, i am going to go to bed and cry myself to sleep. love to you all.
Debra

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2013
8:13 PM

Post #9424941

Debra, I am on social security, but I don't know what you man by long and short term? Either your on social security or your not.
So sorry to hear she is in such pain. Please tell her to take her pain meds regularly. If she waits till she is in a lot of pain, it takes longer for the pills to work.
Sending prayers and ((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))) for both of you!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 19, 2013
8:28 PM

Post #9424955

She needs to take her pain meds. LK is right. You don't get any gold stars for enduring pain. A nurse should explain the circular nature of pain to her, that pain generates more pain, so the meds help break the cycle. She is not likely to become addicted at this point if that's what she's worried about. She should at least get on a schedule with the loratabs and maybe she will feel better.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 20, 2013

Post #9425169

Debra,
Thinking of you and praying for you and your sister. I hope you had a good night's rest!

After tonight, the lowest its going to be at night is 50...for the next whole week. 70s during the day. I'll really have the planting fever!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 20, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9425245

If we get all that rain, you may can plant rice and waterlilies! maybe it won't be enough to wash away what I already planted.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2013
6:42 AM

Post #9425273

Debra, I worked so hard yesterday, that the chocolate did not do a thing to me. Falling up the stairs on the other hand did some damage. I have several rather large bruises..sigh.

Will be send healing thoughts for your sister. Tell here to take the pain pills,, I would without a doubt!!!!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2013
1:35 PM

Post #9425713

Debra

Please tell your sister to take the pain pills. Otherwise, the pain is going to wear away at her strength and she needs her strength right now.

You are both still in my prayers. I am hoping there are better things ahead for both of you.

Elfie - I thought I was the only one that could manage to fall 'up' the stairs.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9425903

I can not only fall up the stairs, I slipped and fell down them this morning. I am going to have to paint them with a sand/paint mix. Then maybe I will quit falling up and down...sigh. I got so much done in the last 2 days that it looks like I might just be done on Saturday instead of Monday. Who hoo!!!!! I am going to treat myself to a mani / pedi if I do as my hands are a dried out cracked mess. Feet hurt so much that a pedi would feel wonderful. Now if I just had a bath tub to soak in..sigh...

Oh wait I do.. but it is in the back yard waiting for new bathroom, LOL

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

February 21, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9426660

Man am I ready for spring! We have had a really rough winter! The meterologist predicted a very mild one here in west MI, so my husband who ordered a much smaller volume of Ice Melt for his customers...needless to say he has re-ordered several times! He sold 3 semi truck loads between this week and last! It's been a very normal winter filled with LOT of Lake effect snow & Ice. I am ready to see green again! Hope everyone has a wonderful rest of their week! ahoogstra
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 23, 2013
4:54 AM

Post #9428670

TOTALLY AGREE ALICIA!!! Spring needs to get here SOON!!!! Am very tired of the frigid temperatures and the slippery roads!!! Wish I could hibernate until it warms up!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9428920

We have lots and lots of snow and predicting more on Monday...it was slow coming but now not stopping...rofl. It looks so pretty especially since I don't have to drive to work in it. Where I worked they called off work on Thursday thank goodness cause we had blizzards. Then on Friday most people didn't go to work but it took me 2 hours to get there mostly because I was behind snow plows. But nice the roads were empty...

Hard to think of spring now...the heater in my pond stopped working and it was froze over the top...I was terrified I killed the fish, I have had them forever but finally got a hole in the ice and they have all migrated to the heater...them fish are not stupid.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2013
1:29 PM

Post #9429061

Glad top hear your fish are OK! How long do they live?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2013
9:29 PM

Post #9429477

You know I never thought about how long they live. I have never found one that has died. My original 5 are alive and many more...rofl. My white fan fish has mated with several gold and I have a couple of really pretty gold faned fish. Look close and u can see the white fan fish when it was still pretty small.

Thumbnail by happgarden

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2013
11:15 PM

Post #9429517

Glad I found where you guys are chatting. I had my second plant / yard sale today and it was a great success. Met some more local garden nuts and a man that raises monarch butterflies just right down the street from me. It is definately feeling like Spring here. Didn't even have to wear a sweatshirt today it was so warm. I hope the rest of the country starts warming up soon before you all go stir crazy, LOL.
Nice looking fish, they are fun. I need to restock my pond again, I think I have some critter that has been fishing in it. That would be a good project for me and my grand-daughter (4).
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2013
11:31 PM

Post #9429522

My Gdaughter loves the fish pond and we have so much fun watching them, feeding them, and so fun to put you fingers in the water and they like to nibble...rofl.
Only playing outside here is sledding...rofl and lots of folks were doing it today.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2013
4:28 AM

Post #9429577

Happ - how long have you had your fish? I am surprised they aren't breeding themselves silly. When I had goldfish all they did was breed monthly from April to October. Finally had to remove all the goldfish from the pond and go to koi as the goldfish inundated us far to soon.

I know the guy down the street had one of those buggy eyed black moors in his pond and he had had that fish for 7 years before it finally died. He said that the moors had a lifespan of about 7 years and he figured the fish had died of old age.

I think it depends on what type of goldfish - I am reading they have a life expectancy of about 10 years give or take.

Yesterday wasn't bad here. We finally were free from that awful windchill. I am hoping the windchill doesn't return anytime soon.

Deb - how are you and your sister holding up? I think about both of you alot and hope that she has relented and is taking her meds. Let us know.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9429749

I don't think my fish are gold fish I thing they are koi, sorry I probably mis keyed(spoke) rofl... They do breed like crazy I have given a million fish away... ;) My pond is not very big at all, which means I have to limit the number of fish all the time.

Love the pic of the water lily. We were so hot last year but the water lilies went crazy. Gave up on the tropicals. Maybe when I retire I will have time to take care of them during the winter.

Well didn't think we were going to get much snow, but today they are saying 43 degrees and then another 10 to 12 inches of snow and this time there will be 30 to 40 miles an hour winds! I may not get out for weeks because of the drifts. rofl.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2013
5:59 PM

Post #9430373

Koi have barbels (whiskers). They also can live to be quite old - I have read 40 years in captivity. Do you fertilize your waterlilies? They tend to be heavy feeders.

I will probably have waterlilies in a month or so to share... mine will need to be divided again.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2013
8:30 PM

Post #9430504

Took a picture of my "bathtub" pond today. This is where the goldfish will be going. I usually put my houseplants out here in Summer. It is a nice little semi-shady spot.
I have a larger "Koi" pond but all the plants are dormant now, I should really do a cleaning but that's always a real mess. I have 6 Koi in it, I read somewhere that you should have like 100 gallons of water per Koi. I haven't ever had Koi babies, that's really cool.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9430781

gosh pretty fish and water lilly.
blizzards here and been having fun gathering up the snow into tubs for the CP's
sister has been in a lot of pain, she gets back on chemo today and she is glad.

got the turtle are fixed up and the fish got a bigger tub, can't wait to see at least one bloom from my water lilly Carolyn sent me.

sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 25, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9430813

Very cool Dee!! Love your "bath tub" pond!! Have contemplated several times on doing some sort of pond but have never gotten up enough courage to tackle it!!

Debra, is that a turtle in the photos or is it a young tortoise?? Kids had turtles(even snappers) when they were younger and what a chore it was!! Love your plant room photos!! Must keep you very busy!! Hope your sister is doing well--give her well wishes for me!!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 25, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9430953

i don't see a turtle. Where is it?
Is that Peace lily GROWING in water? Or just there for the picture?

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9431073

Had me going too, had to "find the turtle". I have to admit the snow looks so. . . peaceful. If I ever move out of here I wouldn't mind living somewhere it snows.
Shirley, the bathtub pond isn't too much work. The bigger you get the more trouble it is to clean them out and it needs to be done every couple years as the plants grow so good in the water. It would probably be big enough for one small waterlilly. Mine gets too much shade for flowering plants, hence the fancy colocasia.
Debra, looks like you have a garden in the house, that's a good idea. Not that I don't have way too many houseplants and critters in here already, LOL. I love the tortoise in the kiddy pool!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9431104

Glad to see you posting Debra. Love the pictures, but you can keep that snow! Too cold for these old bones!

Dee, love your tub pond too, very pretty!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 25, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9431113

Well, I still do not see a turtle. Unless it is that brown thing near the shell in the lower left corner of the pool. I don't think a tortoise can survive long in water. rite? wrong? Where is that ole turtle?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2013
10:31 AM

Post #9431127

hey all I am on my mindless work we are being dumped on again
we have two turtles on is an old female and one a baby female state tortoise
they are loving their new digs .

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2013
10:37 AM

Post #9431133

kindle is what I meant . turtle is under a plant stand to the right look closer . no water . lots of soil tho

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2013
10:40 AM

Post #9431135

goldhillal wrote:i don't see a turtle. Where is it?
Is that Peace lily GROWING in water? Or just there for the picture?

yes from fruity has been blooming in the fish tub . just finished a flush .

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9431148

I see the turtle in your 4th picture.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 25, 2013
11:37 AM

Post #9431198

Yeah!! I see it now! Cutie pie!
I have a very large fat brown toad that has been living in my greenhouse for years. Well, actually I do not know if it is fat or just large. It is pretty lumpy and does not appreciate being splashed with cold well water at any time of year.

I was unaware peace lilies could live submerged. I am very surprised, altho I do know mine drink lots of water.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2013
12:14 PM

Post #9431237

configured that if they live in a vase of water for a beta home they can thrive in water
I also love the tub pond area u have have, dee

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9431369

Debra, in the last picture, what is the plant/bulb in the white square container?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9431465

Dee - love your bathtub pond - do you have fish in there or just plants? An aerator? What kind of plants do you grow?

Deb - Waterlilies will flower with at least 4 hours of sun and the water temps need to be in the 60's. Tropicals would be different - I will have more later if you would like. They are heavy feeders.

I was outside a bit ago and the snowdrops will be opening shortly! Yay!!! :-)

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 25, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9431549

The Fairy House from Kris. Right now the fairy is in there with the door slammed shut , and I think there's smoke coming out the chimney on the back side.

Thumbnail by goldhillal

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9431632

Cyrstal that is adorable!

LK, that is queen eMMA CRINUM, SHE OUTGREW HER SPOT IN CHARLIES ROOM, SO A HUGE TOMATOE PLANT IS IN HER SPOT IN THAT ROOM, WHILE SHE IS UNDER THE BIG T5 LIGHTS NOW..oops stupid caps lock
charlies room

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9431828

Thanks Debra, I Googled that name, and she is a beautiful plant!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2013
8:21 PM

Post #9431855

Carolyn, the bathtub pond just has the one colocasia in it. I'm going to put a whole bunch of goldfish in there for my grand-daughter to feed.
I have another pond with water lillies and a variety of other water plants in it. I also have quite a few bog pots (pots without holes) for plants like reedgrass, flag iris, and mini cat-tails.
I found a picture of my back yard and the "cattle waterer" pond. It is 8 feet across and 2 foot deep.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2013
10:18 PM

Post #9431894

I love the livestock tanks, and your pond is beautiful.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2013
1:35 AM

Post #9431940

Very nice Dee - Such a nice pond - II am missing my pond and cannot wait until start up! I get anxious to start up every winter.

Is your yard on a hill? That can be quite challenging. Everything looks gorgeous!

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 26, 2013
4:19 AM

Post #9431972

Well, we are having a 'rain day' instead of snow day. It has rained constantly since Sunday night and supposed to rain all day and all tonight also. The roads were so bad yesterday the buses were getting stuck, so school is canceled. Since Friday, we have gotten 5 inches of rain and that doesn't count last night...so I am lining my animals up...lol... Poor horses...I went down there yesterday and they were shivering...so I put them in their stalls and left them for most of the day.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 26, 2013
4:44 AM

Post #9431989

Crystal, love your fairy house from Kris--very cute!

Beautiful pic of the backyard pond Dee!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2013
7:42 AM

Post #9432203

snow snow and more snow...about 9 inches plus can get 2 more tomorrow...these are not Missouri snows but more like Colorado snow... they called off work again today. That makes 2 days in 32 years that they have done this...rofl.

So I have been doing some work from home and some genealogy and some daves..rofl.

I may get use to these 4 day weeks ...
Debra you have a beautiful oasis in your basement. Must feel like you are in the tropics when you go down there. Solar room feels tropical but when you look out the window it is all white and snowy..rofl.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9432620

9 inches of snow, 5 inches of rain! That will put a damper on gardening!
And, poor horses is right. Of course my husband would have them in the living room by now. He tried to talk me into bringing my tortoise in the laundry room when it dropped below freezing out this winter, LOL. The tortoise is huge, like galapagos size, and there is just no way . . .
Carolyn, my house sits in middle of a small canyon, off of a larger canyon, off of larger canyon. And I guess I am on a bit of a slope.
Lots of live oak trees on one canyon side and lots of scrub brush on the other. Makes for interesting gardening as one side of the canyon is full sun and the other full shade. Mind you they are only about 60 feet apart and between them is my house and garden.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2013
1:30 PM

Post #9432669

Dee - sounds interesting. I would have my sun gardens and my shade gardens. I love both, but then I love all gardens and yes, I too would have the horses inside if possible as well as the tortoise!

Happ - I can do without the snow. We are supposed to get a wintry mix tonight through to tomorrow morning. Not something I am looking forward to - but then I suppose erratic weather is part of spring, is it not?

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

February 26, 2013
2:47 PM

Post #9432756

Hello everyone! We are having yet another storm:( I am SOOOO ready for the green of Spring! I have a question for all of you with a pond...how do start the "hardy canna's? the kind that are H2O plants? I appreciate all the knowledge you all are so willing to share! Ahoogstra
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 26, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9432768

Been watching the news updates here also Alicia--saying we are supposed to be getting quite the storm tonight--nothing as of yet--talked to my niece (on her way home from work--Kettering Univ. in Flint) and she said the roads are getting really bad down that way. Our youngest son is hoping we get the storm so he won't have school tomorrow !! Is getting colder and wind is picking up but nothing else as of yet !!

Just to throw this out there as long as I am on here---does anyone have any "extra" green bean seeds (pole variety & bush variety also), radish, beets, or swiss chard seeds that they are looking to get rid of??? These are a few of the requests the boys have said they want for the garden this year!!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9432774

My understanding with cannas is they need to be started before introducing them into the pond. The earth needs to be at least 60 degrees with the air temps in the 80's

http://water-garden-blog.com/water-garden-cannas/
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

February 26, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9432787

waaaa! Just watched the weather...the weekend lows...29..25..27..with wind chills worse. Everything is definately going to be hurt or killed. Will head to Lowes tomorrow and see if I can find some more frost blankets to throw over my fruit trees and others. Arrgh!!
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 26, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9432803

BOOOO!!!! The weather has started here !! It is coming down pretty good already. HOPING we do not get what they are predicting !! YUCK!!!

Thumbnail by sbish5

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

February 26, 2013
4:19 PM

Post #9432866

It's REALLY nasty here too! My baby boy (16:) wants a day off tomorrow too:) Mi winter may have left us last year but it is back with a vengence! The roads here have been bad since about 5:30, and have just been getting worse & worse! Stay safe and warm everyone!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2013
4:53 PM

Post #9432909

It is just starting here - I am hoping we are only on the outskirts of this mess.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9432948

We have a long driveway! DH worked half the day cleaning the driveway...some area had 4ft drifts, horrible winds with the snow. I think I filled the bird feeder 3 times and it is big! Poor guys I feel so bad for them and the rabbits looking for food.

I am ready for spring...like the rest of you...living in a canyon, sounds really interesting. I had a friend that moved from Colorado to Tenn, she said she missed the sunsets because the sun would go behind a hill or pine tree and she could never see one.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
6:43 PM

Post #9433029

I have just been reading about cannas because I grow mine in soil. I guess there are some that do better in water but that they need to have the crown on the plant up out of the water. So really, more like bog conditions. Mine have started growing already in the greenhouse (it's hot in there) but the outside ones are still dormant (we hit 70 today). I like the idea of starting them out of the water as the water is bound to be colder longer than the outside temps. It must be hard to get them to bloom every year when they go fully dormant in winter. Maybe mine would do better with more water.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 26, 2013
8:38 PM

Post #9433146

Looks like we are out of bad weather territory here at least for now. I feel for those of you in these terrible blizzards and snows. We had a record breaking amount of rain in Feb-- weather guy said about 12.5 inches, but I had about an inch more than that.
It is not pleasant outside here by any stretch though. Although the temps were in the 50's, the wind was high and felt like it was off ice.
I made a trip by Opelika Lowe's today. Actually 2 trips. Got home called a friend and we went back. They had pansy pots-big display pots on sale for $2 ea. Plus the giant pansies at like 10 cents (yes) for 9 big beautiful plants. Lots of stuff was 10 cents. I also got some Cinerias ($2). Maybe I can make some pictures tomorrow. It was incredible. I asked a worker why they were virtually giving away these beautiful plants and he said they just ordered too many. Their loss, our gain. Maybe they were figuring they would kill off a bunch of them by over and under watering. And somehow that did not happen. Their inside plants in pots w/o holes are generally flooded. Kris and I pour the water off if we can. We feel sympathy for the plants I guess.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 27, 2013
12:58 AM

Post #9433233

Still snow/rain mix here as of right now. Not that much accumulation but slippery because of wet mix!! Schools and lots of other things closed. Our son is thrilled !! Me??? Not so much !!
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 27, 2013
1:19 AM

Post #9433245

Wow Crystal !!! Sounds like you made quite the haul on plants !!! Have never seen deals like that around here !! Deals, yes, but not quite that good !!! Good for you !! Problem with finding things like that is, I always end up with things I have NO BUSINESS getting--cuz "it's a good deal right " ????? LOL

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 27, 2013
5:02 AM

Post #9433313

O yes! I could have made it just fine without more pansies as I had already bought some earlier (from Lowe's reduced rack-they did not look as good as these tho).
I can't plant pansies in the ground here because of the deer. They come and jerk them out of the ground before they are rooted and sling them aside. So I put them in pots closer to the house, on the porch or steps etc.
Altho they will be pretty for a couple months before it gets too hot, it is a lot of work getting them set out and taken care of.
Earlier I got a tray of snapdragons and so far they are still alive, no deer, survived freezes, and all this rain.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

February 27, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9433320

We ended up with about 6 more inches! YUCK!!!! Goldy..I am SOOO jeleous! 50's sounds wonderful, and to get garden deals too! Oh..I am so living through you right now:) Hope everyone has a great day! No more snow in the forecast atleast through the weekend!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
5:48 AM

Post #9433353

Crystal, sounds like you and Kris had a good time shopping! Wish we could find deals like that here!
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 27, 2013
6:01 AM

Post #9433369

Well snow / rain has stopped. Only about 3 inches--but very wet and heavy . Roads slippery . Very happy didn't get what they were predicting for us!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2013
8:23 AM

Post #9433519

I am headed to Auburn soon. Will be dropping by Lowes of course. Also meeting a man about a couple of singer sewing machine treadle/ stands
They are going to be our new tv stand base. got both for only $40.00!!!

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9433531

Those will make great stands Kris, get a piece of wood to make the top, and your all done!

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

February 27, 2013

Post #9433759

I am SO jelous, I have been looking for a couple of sewing machine bases! They are so beautiful! I have SO many ideas for garden art with them! Have fun!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9434089

Well after meeting the guy for the bases at Wendy's, then Lowes to get some more plants, spent $20.15 and got 42 flats of pansy's and violas, 12 pints of white flowers, 4 house plants, and 4 baskets of purple and white flowers. And yes I really should know the names of the plants but I forgot the names, then went to the harvest house and got all the glass I need for my garden window. After stopping at Crystals to drop off my score of cool tin cans, and picking up the awesome stash of blue glass bottles she got for me. I finally got home and now I am to tired to unpack the car. Poor Elfie...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9434095

Enjoy those new plants Kris. Your going to have a nice garden this spring.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2013
6:23 PM

Post #9434099

Thanks Linda,, don't you want to come help me plant them?????

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
7:02 PM

Post #9434124

I wish I was closer Kris, sounds like a lot of fun!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2013
8:12 PM

Post #9434168

love the tredle stands. That is how I learned to sew.. so many wash towels and pillow cases I made back then.

Wish I could come and unload your car, Elfie. I bet your Gardens will be outstanding this year. I didn't know you liked blue glass..
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9434305

Wowzer that was quite a haul for that little pit of money. Wish you could upload pics and show us your windfalll. I can't see the ground for all the white stuff so I guess planting is out of the question here...rofl.
DH has the truck stuck on the west side of the house, our VW stuck on the east side of the house in the driveway and the 4 wheel drive tractor stuck...rofl. Guess it isn't funny but you have to laugh. The only car still making it is my little yellow car...
To get out of here I have to drive across the field...hoping not to hit a drainage ditch... ;) Gotta love living in the country...guess you have to take the bad (just a little bit) with all the good.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

February 28, 2013
5:37 AM

Post #9434314

Oh what a predicament Happ!!! Like you said, even though not exactly funny, have to laugh just to get through it without going crazy!!! And I so wish I was in the country !!! When we bought our house, we were originally looking in the country, but my dad got sick(with a paralyzing stroke & then cancer) so I insisted on staying in the city very close to my mom & dad(against their wishes). They kept telling me , if something is going to happen it will happen whether you are 5 minutes away or 5 hours away , but I would not listen. Grew up around farms(both sets of grandparents had farms) and always wanted one of my own. Ahhh, maybe someday !!!! Till then it's the city rat life for us !!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9434538

Well got all the plants out of the car and need to get the glass out too. But I have lost my car keys,,, or Ralph hid them to keep me away from Crystals house and shopping at lowes... Lol.

I love blue glass. When I get my bed room all set up I will show you all my collection. I will take pictures with the phone and then upload them at the library.

Right now I need to find those keys. Those glass pieces must weigh 10 pounds each and there are 39 pieces...sigh.
Any one who wants to come help is more than welcome!!!!!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

February 28, 2013
4:13 PM

Post #9434869

Hope you made it unloaded OK, Kris!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9435064

we want to see your haul, please? LOL

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9435277

I am going to attempt to get pictures today. I have to go pick up the kids in Opelika and we will finish the packing today. I got behind cause I was just to sore to move this week.

I found a set of 8 foot sliding glass doors at the restore place the other day. Just need to figure out how to haul them the 45 miles to my house!!
This should be fun...not!!!

New building is finally ready and they want to deliver on Monday. I told them it would have to wait til Thursday. Darn being old. I should have been long finished by now.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
6:36 AM

Post #9435300

Hang in there Kris, you have been working so hard, and it sounds like you have way over done it. You will have your new place soon, then you can hopefully sit in the tub and soak those muscles!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9435405

I agree! gee the snow seems to be hanging around forever, not melting fast enough!

Thumbnail by joeswife

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9435428

That is a lot of snow Debra, pretty to look at, but you can keep it!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9435539

Let's se if the pictures will load.

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf         

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2013
2:00 PM

Post #9435678

Wow, that is a lot of plants Kris! Beautiful!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2013
3:28 PM

Post #9435773

All ya'll with an abundance of snow, send it my way. We're not in a precipitation deficit like we were last year, but still haven't had a decent snow for two years.

What a haul, Elfie.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2013
4:10 PM

Post #9435823

Wow Kriss Nice hall you always fine the great deals on pansy's :) would love a couple flats myself :)))
gn all

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9436620

awesome haul there Kris, I can't wait to see them all arranged out in the ground.
Fruity, This is our first snow that measured more than an inch in two years. It kick starts the prennials.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9436959

I kind of like them just as they are. But will get them in a bed by the end of next week. I am just to tired right now to plant. And too cold...

Done packing. Now doing the last of the demo of the walls, pulling out all the power. Ralph says we will be done by Monday night. Thank goodness...
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2013
10:06 PM

Post #9437068

Wow to see ground and flowers, instead of snow drifts, hard to imagine for a few of us...rofl.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2013
10:25 PM

Post #9437072

I see my favorite osteopurnums or however they are pronounced...in that group shot .

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 3, 2013
5:44 AM

Post #9437167

Yesterday was a cold day with little tiny flaky things in the air that looked for all the world like ashes. Not enough to even stick and the temps were in the hi 30's. So I did some projects that have been cluttering up the dining area/kitchen for a couple weeks.

Thumbnail by goldhillal   Thumbnail by goldhillal         

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 3, 2013
5:45 AM

Post #9437169

Click to see larger version. Looks like the tops got cut off in icon version. The crane is headless.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 3, 2013
6:10 AM

Post #9437199

O yeah, one more. Toadstool. I made this several days ago.
I love thrift stores. Need I say more?

Thumbnail by goldhillal

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2013
6:37 AM

Post #9437234

Wow, those are beautiful! How did you get stones innthe lightbulb?

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 3, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9437240

On you tube you can see videos of how to make a light bulb into a terrarium, and I used that technique to clean them out, then chose some marbles that would fit through.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9437814

very pretty!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2013
9:49 PM

Post #9438013

I love the mushroom!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2013
9:26 PM

Post #9440248

You've been very creative, Crystal. We switched to the squiggly lightbulbs last year or the year before and don't have any incandescent bulbs left to recycle or use for crafts. Love the one you used with marbles. I've been saving coffee cans hoping to make something out of them...one day. Usually I toss them to hubs and he keeps nuts and bolts in them in the shop. Just recently, I found several birdhouses online made out of ceramic jugs that were intentionally mounted horizontally. From reading, they were apparently very popular during Colonial times.

Hubs put the scraper on the front of our tractor yesterday. For what, we'll have to wait and see if our snow event overnight and tomorrow happens or not. It's still pouring down rain and any fluffy accumulation will be history by the week-end when our highs reach 60+. My Daff's are about the bust at the seams and my lone Hellebore has been blooming for a month. Our road is one of the last in the County to be plowed. When we've had past snows, hubs has always plowed our driveway, several of our neighbors' and our back road almost out to the main road before another neighbor steps in and finishes. Ain't life in the country grand?

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2013
1:30 AM

Post #9440303

Sooze

I would so love to be in the country. When we were looking for houses 17-18 years ago, I was the only one that wanted to be in the country. Kids have moved on and away, now DH wants to be in the country like I did and still do. We live right in town - oh well, perhaps when I can finally retire...

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 6, 2013
2:10 AM

Post #9440315

I have heard that birds will not build in situations where water might accumulate ie a bird house needs drainage holes. i know Martin gourds always have holes drilled in the bottom, and regular wooden blue bird houses have the cracks (if not a drilled hole) where water could get out.
hummmm
Maybe I need to research this...

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 6, 2013
2:14 AM

Post #9440317

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=2194
Here's what Dr. Fostersmith says.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 6, 2013
5:03 AM

Post #9440399

oooo, Fruity, just saw on the TV that Virginia is under snow. I think they showed warren or warrentown? How are you doing? Looked really bad. Stay warm!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2013
5:09 AM

Post #9440407

Burrrrr... I am freezing,, Going to spend the day at the library and try to get rid of Windows 8 on the new computer. I hate windows 8!!!!!!!!

It is 49 degrees in my house.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9440528

Kris, I have not heard of anyone liking window's 8!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2013
10:00 AM

Post #9440761

Well after much research there is no way to get rid of windows 8. unless I have an original disk and key for windows 7. which I do not as I cannot find any of my disks at this time,,, sigh,,,

But I did find a few ways to get this stupid thing to do what I want so I am stuck with it for now, My biggest complaint is it hates my download program for my tv shows and that is not acceptable. Bad enough that I have no internet and cable at home I need my junk shows for background noise when I am crafting cleaning and working in the house. Whaaa,, lol
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 6, 2013
10:18 AM

Post #9440775

Yay, it finally got here! My red medinilla...

and more bromeliads I bought this past weekend

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066      

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2013
11:13 AM

Post #9440816

Very pretty.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 6, 2013
2:04 PM

Post #9441027

What is this??? red medinilla. I have never seen it, as I know of, unless it was at Callaway gardens or some other conservatory. Will you grow it outside, in a pot, basket, or what?
How exciting, a new plant! How big does it get? You are south of me, I think, so maybe outside. Tell what you expect from this plant, how you discovered it, and what made you want to grow it.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9441045

The big event was a bust. Hubs got me up at 3 am to watch a few bursts of snow, thinking we'd wake to a white wonderland. Nada patch, the ground was too saturated from our earlier rains. Winds are wicked and frigid today. There are pros and cons both living in the boonies and in town or a city. Just have to grow where we're planted.

Paula, very cool! The nursery where I found some of your houseplants last time had a Pink one. It was outrageously beautiful dripping in blooms and was huge on a table all by itself. You find the coolest stuff.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9441105

Those are beautiful, I have never seen them either.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 6, 2013
7:01 PM

Post #9441324

Crystal,
I have the medinilla magnifica (pink) and love it. Below is a pic a couple of years ago...sadly I lost that one, so I bought another this past weekend. I saw the red one on the internet and it has been a mission to get one. I got this one from nsetropicals on ebay. The first time I bid and lost...second time also lost...but this time I meant I was going to have it, especially since it had a bud. Now the supense is killing me to see what it actually looks like. It will stay inside until all threat of frost has passed. Then I will put it on my back porch.

I also have the M. cumingii ( 2nd photo)

and had the scortechinii...tried twice on it and lost it both times...its very hard to find.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066      

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9441352

gorgeous!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2013
9:06 PM

Post #9441447

Paula,,,I need to come to your house..LOL... Of course I might need to be searched before I leave.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 6, 2013
9:16 PM

Post #9441467

Thinking and thinking. I believe I have seen this at some conservatory--either butterfly house at Callaway or the botanical gardens in Atlanta. I wish you luck with this beauty and hope you will post pics from time to time to let us see what is happening with it.
Have you ever grown Easter lily vine?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 7, 2013
3:42 AM

Post #9441542

Hey Debra...how are things?

Elfie, you are welcome anytime and would be glad to share what I have!!

Crystal,
I will post pictures as the bloom progresses. I just hope the shipment (being cold) won't make it drop its bloom. It came from FL so it wasn't exposed to freezing temps.But I'll keep you informed. No, haven't grown the Easter lily vine. I'll have to look that one up.

Since I posted those pictures, now I'm wanting the orange one again. Two other plants on my REALLY WANT list is the red magnolia , not sure of the botanical name and the varigated zz plant, BUT everything I can find and that's limited, they are only in foreign countries. The quest begins...
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 7, 2013
3:46 AM

Post #9441545

Crystal,
I like that, its beautiful! Do you grow it? It said that sometimes it is difficult to get to bloom.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2013
11:49 AM

Post #9441941

Crystal can make anything bloom. I have drooped over her greenhouses!!! She has the prettiest plants. Of I lived just a little closer she would have to pry me out of them with a crowbar!!!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2013
11:59 AM

Post #9441947

Any further word at the possibility you're going to be able to work in the greenhouse you mentioned earlier, Elfie?

Paula, the plant I remembered seeing is like your 1st pic. Did the guys finish your greenhouse yet?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 7, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9441961

LOL..no..my husband got so aggrevated with them, now he's working on it, which is a slow process, because he doesn't have the time. Almost have one side of the roof on, so we'll see. I feel sure it will be done by fall...LOL!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9441968

Hey Fruity, how about a new room please?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9442109

That's the way it would be around here too, Paula. Hurry up and wait.

LK, you read my mind. Meant to do that earlier today but got busy making spaghetti sauce.

Here we go to the new thread, Peeps...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1301475/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America