AuthorContent

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2013
8:10 PM

Post #9394267

I see a number of our Texas folks over on the cacti and succulents forum, so I thought I would ask my question over here since I'm looking for suggestions specific to the weather conditions in North Texas. I would like to add a few more cacti to my container garden, and I don't want to overwinter them indoors. I do pull them up under a south facing covered area so that they will get good sun during the winter but also stay dry. I will also cover them if it is going to get extremely cold.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm also open to other interesting succulents that will can handle similar conditions.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9395309

If you'll check out the Austin Cactus and Succulent Society web page, you'll find lots of good information about cold hardy cactus, etc. This page would be very useful to someone looking for cold hardy cactus. Jeff Pavlat has spoken to our garden club about what to grow here. I'm sure you'll find his recommendations helpful. Let me know if you can't open the link.

http://austincss.com/Cold%20Hardy%20Cacti%20&%20Succulents%2003-11.pdf
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 23, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9395354

TX horse crippler
Echinocereus: coccineus, reichenbachii(several varieties), russanthus, triglochidiatus(several varieties), viridiflorus
Mammillaria: heyderi, grahamii, pottsii
Escobaria: minima, missouriensis, sneedii, vivipara bisbeeana
Coryphantha: sulcata
These have survived well outdoors for me. I didn't cover their bed this year so spring will tell how well they did. Those are the ones I can think of. I find the Echinocereus to be hardy in the extreme if you get the right species/varieties.

I have others that are iffy during one of our really cold winters.

I have some mesembs outside but I haven't really tried them more than this winter.

C

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9395407

I have a spineless prickly pear and a Cholla and they both take the cold and heat just fine.

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9396486

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm getting a list together for what I want to order, and it looks like mesagarden.com has a lot of the ones I am looking for.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 24, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9396615

Their plants are usually small and sometimes, usually, they don't have all of what I order. I like them for the variety but it can be irritating to mail in the order and not find out what is available until you receive it. Have you checked out miles to go nursery. Not as much variety but I have always gotten really nice big specimens from there.
C
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 24, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9396618

I can mail you the Cholla and spineless prickly pear but I suspect you already have those?

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2013
6:52 PM

Post #9396685

I will check out Miles to Go. I had been looking there, too. Good to know that they ship bigger specimens.

I'm all set for cholla and prickly pear. Thanks!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 25, 2013
3:00 AM

Post #9396895

I forgot H. hamatacanthus. (sometimes Ferocactus). I have had one of those outside for years. It is still small but I like the spine structure and yellow flowers. It has proven to be very hardy.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2013
7:51 AM

Post #9397123

How did you manage to get a spineless prickly pear- and keep it spineless? Or am i meaning thornless? All of mine revert to heavy thorns...

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2013
8:51 AM

Post #9397172

Mine are spineless and have been that way for at least 10 years. No big or small spines.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 25, 2013
10:01 AM

Post #9397219

There is one species native to TX that has no spines. A few small glochids but spineless. There are also some varieties (odd balls) of some that are nearly spineless too.
Opuntia ellisiana is the one I have.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2013
10:58 AM

Post #9397245

Thanx. Will look for that one.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

January 25, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9397350

I have it all over, want me to mail you a couple pads?
C

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9397523

No thanx- yet- have to have a place to plant it that I can let it grow, chuckl, my dau would wait til i was gone and add it to a bonfire- she fell in one when younger and considrrs them 'plants with thorns that must be KILLED' lists.

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2013
5:10 PM

Post #9425966

I placed orders with Miles 2 Go and Mesa Garden. I probably ordered too many, but there are so many nice cacti and they really are quite affordable from those sources. I'll post a picture once I get them all potted up and on display.

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2013
7:20 PM

Post #9431777

My cacti came in. They shipped bareroot, and I potted them up but haven't watered them yet. I've read some pages that recommend not watering them for a while. What do you guys do?
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 25, 2013
8:10 PM

Post #9431847

They can wait several days but were probably pretty dry by the time they arrived.

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9432445

Thanks for the advice. This is my first experience with bare root succulents and I am a bit nervous about root rot.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 26, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9432508

Then don't water for a few days, it won't hurt them at all. Keep in mind they have been uprooted and packed and mailed, so they have already been drying a while. What did you get?

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9432683

A slew of tiny cacti (tiny for now, at least)...

coryphantha echinus
echinocereus reichenbachii ssp. baileyi
echinocereus triglochidiatus v. gonacanthus "White Sands form"
epithelantha micromeris
mammilaria sphaerica
echinocereus chloranthus v cylindricus
echinocactus grusonii
mammilaria pottsii

And a few miscellaneous...

ariocarpus fissuratus
astrophytum myriostigma
titanopsis calcarea
agave schidigera
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 26, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9432718

How fun. I have most of those. I accidentally collected a M. pottsii from west TX, the rest I bought. Are all of those hardy enough to keep outdoors in winter if kept dry?
C

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9432786

I am keeping the astrophytum myriostigma and titanopsis calcarea indoors, but am planning to let the rest fend for themselves. The strongest will survive! :)

I will be keeping them out of the rain, and hopefully a bit warmer, in my south facing covered patio area. I can move them into my garage if things are going to get cold for an extended period or too extremely cold.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 26, 2013
4:00 PM

Post #9432850

I suspect they are mostly pretty small and you will plant them in pots that are appropriate for that. I found however that even cactus in small pots in full sun here will cook. One year I placed mulch in a long white planter and put the small pots into that to protect them. Just keep in mind if the pot is too hot the roots will die back, I have unfortuantely experienced that for myself.
C
blissedheart
Brazos Valley, TX

March 6, 2013
1:27 AM

Post #9440302

not sure if agave is considered a catctus or not... mine don't care if its 112 or snowing...they keep on growing, needs lots of room though

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2013
1:48 PM

Post #9447166

Finally got everything potted up and set out. Here is my agave and cacti collection.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 12, 2013
2:05 PM

Post #9447181

How pretty is that. Keep in mind if the pots are small they can easily overheat and kill the roots. I have learned this the hard way. I know you will enjoy them all.
C

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2013
3:00 PM

Post #9447245

I'm thinking about upsizing some of the pot sizes based on your recommendations. :)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2013
3:24 PM

Post #9447258

Beautiful, Dennis, looks really great.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America