Old Surfboards make fun Garden Art.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

When my neighbor John was heading to the trash with this old board, it never hit the pile!

"Ya want it?" he yells... and "You bet!" I yelled back.

Painted in a day to look like a giant leave, it has been attached to the house for 2 years...

Looking forward to seeing more of your ideas soon. Send them in!

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Super!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Supers good! Thank you Arlene.

The picture is of a large Cereus flower at 6 in the morning. It's in front of an outdoor tomato painting I did behind it. I thought you would like it.

Yes, super is great, David.

That is so stunning. Great photo and the tomato painting looks good as well.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Now I need to find some surfers!!!!

I want to paint a mural on my fence, behind the plants to give the illusion of more plants. Too bad I can't paint!!!!

Maybe the art teacher in your local high school could recommend some talented young people to do it for you.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Do have any pics of that fence area Qwilter? I had a fence sounding like that in New Orleans, and just sponged the whole thing in 3 natural garden green shades in very dark, medium, and light, in bush like shapes,... and it was amazing how full it made the rest of the plantings appear.

You can do it, and Arlenes idea is very good. Just keep an eye on the colors and themes,...Ha! Ha! Ha!

Let's see......less than 2 hours from here to DeLand. Maybe I can "hire" a painter!!!!

No pic - just a hundred ft of st fence line.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

You need to have Betty down for a week.

My SIL painted her whole back fence in an underwater scene, its pretty, but I like the plant idea much better, and I love the surfboard.

I used to love deland...big ole live oaks and cool old houses. Im guesing like everywhere, its grown out of that.

Im trying to find a thread a didnt mark yesterday were someone had posted a night bloooming cereus flower and someone posted it was an epi of some sort, not a cereus. Ive got one or the other, grows like a weed, but has never bloomed, so I dont know which it is.

I was in DeLand a couple months back & thought it was very quaint.

gardenglory - post photos of your plant on the Plant ID Forum and they'll tell you what you have.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/

I worked for a large bank (now defunct) headquartered in DeLand in the early 80's and enjoyed the area. I traveled there from NY and always when it was cool/cold here and warm there.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great idea, and quick thinking before it hit the trash! It almost looks like it is painted on the wall with the yellow behind it.
I have made some repairs at the end of our shop and need to get some new siding put up there this winter before spring plants get too large. I have always considered painting a mural there. I have one of the light boxes that cast the picture on a wall etc. I did a mural for my great nephews room once. I just don't know where to start yet.

Now you've given me an idea, Sheila. I could paint greenery on the rear of our shed that faces the neighbor's property!

Thumbnail by pirl
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I will be over tommorrow morning at 6am Qwilter and get painting! Ha! .

DeLand has not out grown the Oaks, Gardenglory and Qwilter. The huge old oaks at the far back of my backyard are kind o visible in this picture and they are everywhere. A Tree expert says they are in good shape.

Sheila, send us a picture of that wall so we can imagineer with you!

Sounds fun Arlene. Will be looking forward to seeing it...

The picture is to show the nice backdrop the Oaks create here at home. I forgot to tell you we are beachfront.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2013 6:45 AM

This message was edited Jan 28, 2013 6:55 AM

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Forgot the beachfront in DeLand picture... Ha! I was having a little extra fun when designing the fence panels so its sort of garden art...

This message was edited Jan 28, 2013 6:59 AM

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This shows the oaks better and is realer. They are really big.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

My backyard is nothing but big oaks, Id actually like to move a few along, but at 1400$ a piece to take them down, Im just planting shade loving plants and calling it a day. Actually, gainesville is nothing but trees. It seems thats the county commisions only goal in life, to save all the trees, build walking paths, and bike lanes. Personally, for all the taxes I pay, I wish they would do a few other things. I do love the trees tho, and making paths out back around them. Lots of birds. I desperatly want some more sun for my daylilies tho.

Beachfront in deland...dont they wish. I bet the postman wishes it too, he could deliver in a boat.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok David.... Got together a few to show what it has been, is, etc.
When we moved it it was a concrete slab at the end with nothing but trees in the backyard, no flower beds. Now I have 20 counting front and backyards and can't take care of them sometimes.

pic 1-We tried to live with the concrete, but eventually took it out and put in a small pond but it was immediately covered over with plants, so we built a larger pond in another area.

pic 2-We then decided to put in a Texas shaped bed in that area.

pic 3-But that didn't last because of the riding lawnmower..LOL!

pic 4-However it is bare in the winter and can be seen from our deck and the street.

pic 5-The color of the wall is a taupe shade.
I have a lot of butterfly host plants in that bed, frostweed and milkweeds, so in the fall it is so tall the wall isn't seen. But the new wall is needed to cover the leak repair at the base.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW Thumbnail by Sheila_FW Thumbnail by Sheila_FW Thumbnail by Sheila_FW Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Sheila,

I like your space a lot. It looks great the way you have done it and I really like the sun plaque collection.

I just whipped this little mural thing so you might envision one may change the look should you ever do it.

Basic skies and tree shapes can be whipped on in no time. This was a quick whip together. You would have a blast doing a mural.

The suns would look nice on a plain sky background too. The sky blue would be prettier on the color you have on the shop now, but the red was a complete picture...

Thought you would think this fun anyway!

Wow! You really impress me, David.

If I were to give it a try...do I do the blue first, then clouds, then light green for the shrubs and then dark green for the darker portions of the shrubs?

Thanks.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank you Arlene.

Yes:

Sky blue, Clouds, dark green in shapes of choice, and lighter green highlights. Palms of banana trees would look good on Sheilas too with the tropical Flora.

Conifer shapes could be decorated with handrafted cut out ornaments, ribbon, etc. taped or pinned on for Christmas fun. Kids would love that.

Thanks, David. Since we're not in Sheila's sunny spot maybe I should have icicles hanging from the shrubs! I'd like to give the illusion of more space, which is what your painting does. The back of the shed faces my neighbor and we don't ever see it unless we go back there. I'm generally only there to weed or mulch or take photos.

The deer ate a lot of the center hydrangea and all the caladiums I had back there so I'll move the hydrangea and paint something on the shed, then dare them to eat it!

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Pirl, my NE friend.((waving))
David...That first pic was the old paint job and plantings, so I won't need the tropical feel. Great job on the rest, like the sky. Since I don't have the lattice anymore, maybe a evergreen vine around the window would add a bit of color. If I get around to doing anything before I loose this thread, I will post it. Thanks!

Hi Sheila! You're always an encouragement to others so let David and I be your cheerleaders and do something spectacular!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes!

Sheila - isn't this your photo? It's always been an inspiration to me and it's the perfectly placed arbor. I keep the copy of the photo as #1 under "Trellises" on my photo program.

Thumbnail by pirl
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the kudos! Yes, that is where the pond ended up, and will stay! After putting that in DH and I started having our back surgeries!

Sorry to hear about multiple surgeries, Sheila. We gardeners do some serious damage to ourselves at times.

It's still a gorgeous site and so welcoming.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

That is a beautiful pond Sheila. Wishing your back well.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Mine is fine at this time. I had two surgeries in 2007 & 08, and DH has had five! He is blessed right now to still have his mobility.

Sit. Stay!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL! Yes...I hope it does!

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Love your pond picture with the trellis

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you Pat. We are proud of it and enjoy it a lot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images