Photo by Melody

Beginner Houseplants: Can I grow Pansies as a house plant?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 5, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Whataday
Wetumpka, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9394584

I got two beautiful pots of Pansy flowers yesterday on sale at Lowe's. I wonder if I can keep them as house plants in a bright room with lots of windows?
Any one had any experience with them inside? Thanks!
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9394807

Well, even if they died, it wouldn't be overnight. No harm in trying since they are short-lived entities anyway. Where you are, they should bloom constantly outside either in the ground or in their pot, until they are overcome by heat sometime in the late spring/summer. Is that an option for you? Cold nights will not bother them at all, pinch off the dead flowers at least weekly for the most blooms per plant. For in the house, you might like wax Begonias, which also bloom constantly all winter. Then you can plant them outside as perennials later if you want.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9395080

What Tiff said + ... maybe in a cool, bright room in which you can keep the humidity up. My guess is they'll balk if you can't keep the humidity north of 45-50%.

Al
Whataday
Wetumpka, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9408159

Thank you both, I put them in my sun room and they have already bloomed since I bought them. The blooms are stretched and poorly looking though, Im guessing there not getting enough light even though there right by a large east window.
Im going to wait and see what the rest of the blooms look like as they open, but i'm thinking I may just put them out on my front porch and enjoy them there till the heat arrives.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2013
6:46 PM

Post #9408725

That's what I'd do - they'll take a little frost, even. Best luck though - no matter what you decide. ;-)

Al
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9409121

Yes, Pansies make a huge effort to hold the flowers above the plant, each bloom lasts a very short time (days,) soon turning downward and closing. When deadheading, I try to nip the flower stems below the foliage so it doesn't end up looking spiky.

I would vote for outside because there is more humidity and the natural flow of cooler nights, warmer days, less risk of pests bothering them - spider mites. My folks had their 50th anniversary this weekend and were thrilled when I showed up with 50 pansies for their yard. Truly one of the heroes of winter.

I have some in a pot on the front porch (with snapdragons, another winter hero) and when it starts getting hot, I'll put the pansies in a shady spot where they'll get cool air flow from under the house. That will help them last as long as possible. (Snaps get moved to sun.) Then do a different arrangement in the pot for summer's heat.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America