Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Trash to Treasure: A naturally aged Rubber Hobby horse

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 18, Views: 246
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9394623

When I was pulling into Eileens yard delivering a pink Bouganvillea,...I turned in and looked to the right and thought to myself, "Wow, is that a cool old marble horse!"

I knocked on the door and Eillen answered and I dragged the Bouganvillea off the truck and placed it where She wanted it.
She showed me around her little gardens and showed me some of her favorite things. The horse was never mentioned somehow.

As I was opening the door of my truck and saying goodbye, Eillen said to me, "Wait David, I want you to have something. It would look much better in your gardens..."

I followed her to the middle of her yard and thought she was going to give me one of her spinning flowers or little plastic animals, or maybe a cutting I was thinking... and she went straight to the horse that I thought was marble and said "I want you to have this. I instantly new what it was on closer inspection. "I love this horse Eileen, it is special. Thank you so very much!"

Eileen is in her Eighties, and She told me that the horse had been in Her yard at least 30 years. The spotting and markings are 100% nature-made!

This message was edited Jan 23, 2013 12:57 PM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Click an image for an enlarged view.

lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 23, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9394819

Wow David what nice gift! Who would have thought the plastic would have weathered to look like marble? Very cool.

I used to have one of these when I was young. It was a Palomino color with a dark brown saddle and the shape was much like yours. I loved it. Mom said when I was 2-3 I would put my cowboy holsters on with the "guns" in them and climb aboard. They'd ask me what I was doing and I am told I answered "I'm going down the road to shoot wooly worms". Now I have no idea why I said that, because I always liked wooly worms (wooly bear caterpillars), but that was my "plan". He was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it for years.

Too bad kids can't have them today. OSHA would have a fit. There would have to be a special seat instead of a saddle, with seat belts and a shoulder harness to prevent falls. Most likely some type of neck and head support would be required too, like the NASCAR - Hans Device. It would be unable to bounce and rock because they couldn't allow the springs it was suspended on in case some dumb kid might somehow stick a finger in there and get hurt. Oh wait, probably not plastic either because it could break into shards and might cut a child. Let's see it was also suspended from a light weight metal stand. Now, it would probably need to be a strong metal like chrome moly with a high tensile strength, to prevent any possibility of collapse or overturning...

The gooberment sure wouldn't allow them to have holsters with metal "pistols" that looked like Wyatt Earp's Colts either! They might grow up and watch violent video games everyday, for hours on end, act up and get prescribed SSRI drugs because parents aren't allowed to discipline them and go shoot someone so they could blame a gun instead of the real problem!!!

Yeah...right...how did we survive? Things are so much "better" these days...

Debbie

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2013
10:29 AM

Post #9394840

That was a very interesting story you have just shared with me Debbie. Seriously.

I appreciated it much, and it seems much you say rings TRUE! Loved the last statement;..."How did we survive?!"

Ha! You brought a smile to my face... Thank you, David

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
4:49 PM

Post #9395277

David,, I love the horse. My neighbor has one sitting in their burn pile. I really need to go get it. Before they actually burn it.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
6:06 PM

Post #9395359

My great children have one and its not old or was kept inside. Unfortunately theres has to be outside and everyt ime I take care of them they ride it. Yes they can get hurt but they can get hurt on anything. I had one for my kids many years ago and one of my girls used to ride it so hard it would bounce across the room. It was upstairs in their playroom so I allways knew what they were doing cause you sure could hear the horse.

Now kids want real horses and we had one here for my oldest son when he was about 12. I wasn't a good rider and she knew she could throw me just by turning sharp. He paid for it and enjoyed it for 6 years until he found out there were girls in the world. He is 52 now and still remembers his horse.

David,
What are you going to do with such a wonderful gift? Those heavy plastic horses have been around for eons and so loved and enjoyed. Got a kick out of lovetopaints osha description. I'm surprised they haven't taken them off the market for being dangerous. LOL

Bonnie

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9395428

Mud Elf, are you kidding??? GO nab it quick! Then ask to purchase it from the neighbor, but rescue first, ask questions later!!!

I've been looking to purchase one used so it too can become a piece of garden art. Unfortunately the ones I have found start at $45 and I can't afford that.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2013
7:51 PM

Post #9395508

Will get it in the morning.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9395822

Can't wait to see pictures of your rescue horse Kris /Mud Elf.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9395929

Me too since stupid phone will not post the pictures... Sigh.. no internet here on the hill.
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9396270

Love the horse. I'm thinkin if one found a horse and did not want to wait 30 yrs, one could spray paint it with canned spray paint that looks like stone. I have some, somewhere, been thinking of repainting our plastic fountain with it,
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 24, 2013
12:53 PM

Post #9396272

David;
You're welcome. I am glad I brought you a smile. That was the intent. I try to go through life seeing the funny side of things even if the subject might make me angry.

MudElf - You better beat feet over there and get that pony before it gallops away! Looking forward to your picture too.

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 24, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9396366

Have to agree with lovetopaint about the restrictions that probably would be put on those great horses, if they could get away with it. My boys had one and enjoyed it so much. NOW I wish I had saved it. MudElf, hope you got that horse before the trash man does!! Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9396373

I'm keeping it just the way it is Bonnie. I wipe a little low sheen Armoral on it a couple of times a year to help keep it a little longer.

I am looking forward to seeing the pic's too Kris when you can. Thank you.

Great idea Dillans Nana!

Yes! You were right about getting over there fast and getting it! Maybe Kris will be sharing it with someone else like Eileen did 30 years or so from now!

This message was edited Jan 24, 2013 5:20 PM
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9396479

Thanks DavidofDeland...Occasionally I come up with a bright idea, only wish I would put them into action more often!!...LOL

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

January 24, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9396492

David, you lucky dog, I used to do lawn & landscaping work & all I ever got was a rusty patio table & bench. Question-- your subject line says "Rubber Horse", it looks like plastic.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9396549

It's that soft rubbery plastic thing they were made of back then. Kind of squissey and soft like rubber when new? (Hard like plastic when old?)

Thats likely why our teeth didn't get knocked out way back then!...Ha! Thanks Ifantail! Just wake up one morning and say to yourself,..." I'm gonna' pull that paint out and do it!"

Dillan's Nana,

Wake up some morning and say to yourself,..."I'm gonna' pull that paint I have and do it!"

Plenty of time before Spring!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9396647

Got the horse.. just need to get the pictures now.

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

January 24, 2013
8:00 PM

Post #9396787

I had a lawn service customer that would take one of these hobby horses stick a pole thru the center mount the pole to a stand & repainted it to look like a merry-go-round ride, he sold these for $150. to $200.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 25, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9397146

ifantail;

Excellent idea! I'd love to do that for myself! Hmmmm...now to Craig's List...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America