January 24, 2013
2:16 PM

Post #9396374

I have been researching perennial white salvias. I have been looking at these:

Salvia nemerosa 'Snow Hill'
Salvia horminum 'White Swan' aka Salvia viridis 'White Swan'
Salvia sylvestris 'Schneehugel' aka 'Snow Hill'
Salvia nemerosa 'Sensation White'

When I do a google search the same pictures comes up for all of them. It is confusing. Does anyone know the differences between these?
Height?
Bloom Time?
Whirled Bloom?
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9396563

Pic is Salvia Snow Hill, with white Alliums and White Saponaria. I wasn't keeping good records when I bought it, so I don't know any more than that about the cultivar, but it does resemble the pictures I see when I google. How strange that the same shots show up under so many names through Google! My only other White Salvia is S pratensis White Swan, which is a clary, or meadow sage. It's a very different plant, I haven't seen it bloom yet.

Thumbnail by Pfg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
7:59 PM

Post #9396782

For things like this I usually try Plant Files before Google images. In this case not all of them are in there and a couple that are don't have pictures, so my next step is to use Google (not image search--just regular search) and see if I can find a couple nurseries selling it (or botanical gardens, etc) and look at their pictures. In my experience this is a more reliable way to find pictures--tons of mislabeled pictures out there on the internet, plus Google's search engine isn't really specific enough for finding things like this--sometimes it will give you good results but sometimes it won't. In this case though, 3 of your 4 plants will look very similar to each other so that also likely contributed to seeing similar images for at least some of them.

Based on this site: http://www.northcreeknurseries.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.plantDetail/plant_id/264/index.htm I believe that both of your 'Snow Hill' ones are actually the same plant--maybe there's some debate on the parentage and so some places list it as nemorosa and some as x sylvestris, but since this nursery lists it as nemorosa but also has the 'Schneehugel' name that suggests to me that there's really just one 'Snow Hill'.

'White Swan': http://www.outsidepride.com/seed/flower-seed/salvia/salvia-white-swan.html

'Sensation White': http://www.growingcolors.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=1781&typeID= (since it's another white flowered nemorosa, it's probably going to be fairly similar to 'Snow Hill')

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9398514

Here's a pix of Salvia nemerosa, not sure if one of the other names was attatched to it, approx 24", all summer, also in pink and purple. Pix 1 is the white form. Pix 2 is a close up of the pink form. Perennial, it begins bloom late spring til the end of the season if deadheaded more prolithic. Also if you try to move after a few years, it willl resprout from the roots still left in the ground. (I still need to get my white one in the ground, it's sitting in a sunken pot, oh how naughty. My origionals were grown from seed but in all the moving forgot to bring a white or lost it somewhere in someone elses garden so I bought this one, think maybe I'll plant it this spring...lol.)

Salvia viridis syn. horminum is an annual, 18", all summer, the bracts (leaves) are actually colored, I'm sowing S. h. 'Claryssa mix' in March or direct seed. I'm guessing it was segragated into seperate colors, usually comes in a mix,white, pink and purple. It's been a few years (ok 10+ so don't remember if they reseeded in my Z5 garden. If you'ld like to see a close up pix check out T&MSeeds.com.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9398515

Here's a pix of Salvia nemerosa, not sure if one of the other names was attatched to it, approx 24", all summer, also in pink and purple. Pix 1 is the white form. Pix 2 is a close up of the pink form. Perennial, it begins bloom late spring til the end of the season if deadheaded more prolithic. Also if you try to move after a few years, it willl resprout from the roots still left in the ground. (I still need to get my white one in the ground, it's sitting in a sunken pot, oh how naughty. My origionals were grown from seed but in all the moving forgot to bring a white or lost it somewhere in someone elses garden so I bought this one, think maybe I'll plant it this spring...lol.)

Salvia viridis syn. horminum is an annual, 18", all summer, the bracts (leaves) are actually colored, I'm sowing S. h. 'Claryssa mix' in March or direct seed. I'm guessing it was segragated into seperate colors, usually comes in a mix,white, pink and purple. It's been a few years (ok 10+ so don't remember if they reseeded in my Z5 garden. If you'ld like to see a close up pix check out T&MSeeds.com.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9398519

Hey, what's with the double post? LOL.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9404109

Thanks to all for responding. Sorry to get back to this post so late.
Pfg: I googled the Salvia pratensis and 'Swan Lake' shows up. It looks like a very beautiful Salvia.

ecrane: Yes, I agree with you. It looks to me all three of those plants are similar, if not, the same plant. I did the same kind of research you did and basically just got confused and came here, to DG, to see what others thought.

Kathy: I looked up the Salvia viridis, and it's quite pretty. Rob's Plants says it is hardy to zone 8 & 9.

Then, guys, there's another Salvia that is white. Salvia farinacea 'White Victory'. It's the sister to Salvia farinacea 'Victoria Blue' or 'Blue Victory'. Although descriptions say hardy to zone 8, Victoria Blue is hardy for me in zone 6. It doesn't look quite as formal as the ones I mentioned above.
Thanks for the pics.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America