Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Need help identifying an amaryllis!

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Bo_Getty
Inniswold, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
5:54 PM

Post #9396606

I dug a bunch of amaryllis out of the garden (about 200) and I've always wondered exactly what type I have. They come in two colors and have always been planted together. The foliage looks exactly the same before they bloom. I live in Baton Rouge and they tend to bloom June and July. I have a few that are absolutely paint-can huge!

What do I have?

Thumbnail by Bo_Getty   Thumbnail by Bo_Getty   Thumbnail by Bo_Getty   Thumbnail by Bo_Getty
Click an image for an enlarged view.

TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2013
6:25 PM

Post #9396648

Those are Crinums, not Amaryllis. The first one looks like one of the "milk and wine" (Crinum x herbertii) hybrids and the second might be C. 'Ellen Bosanquet'.

Note that Crinums do not like to be transplanted especially when the roots are damaged. They may bloom the first year after transplanting (from the flower bud that was formed the previous growing season) but after that they may skip a year or two before blooming again.

Protect the exposed bulbs from freezing temperatures until they are replanted.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
9:22 PM

Post #9396846

I agree with Tom...Crinums...and yes, the bulbs can get huge.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[family]=c&searcher[genus]=crinum&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search
Bo_Getty
Inniswold, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9397597

Thanks Tom and "moon". Crinum it is!

Now, does anybody want a whole bunch of Crinum? (Crinums? Chrina?)
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9397693

I already have too many crinums so I'll pass.

You can add them to your DG trade list: go to My Info, then Manage Preferences, then Trade List

There are a couple of DG forums for trading plants:

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/rrtrade/all/

DG Roundup: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/roundup/all/

Or, you can try to sell them on eBay or search for local gardening clubs or maybe even CraigsList :-/

The types of crinums that you have are generally hardy up to zone 7b (maybe 7a). If you plan to mail the bulbs, wait until temperatures will be above freezing for the entire transit period. Also note that north of z8b the bulbs should not be planted until spring to avoid the possibility of damage due to freeze or rot.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9398020

Hey Bo. If you decide you don't want to sell or trade the Crinums, give Baton Rouge Green a call, or Hilltop Arboretum, or the BREC Garden at Indy Park or the Burden Center.

If I had space for them I would certainly say yes...Crinums are among my favorites.

Thanks for the offer. Very kind of you.

Moon

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2013
9:47 AM

Post #9398125

Those are common across the wet south- we use them where water tends to stand and it isn't uncommon for the bulbs to get so big they can break a good shovel as well as tending to pull themselves deeper and deeper into the ground. If you wish to slow them down, plant away from water. Sometimes folks in nursing homes love them as much as an amaryllis or an ivy as a gift. I allow mine to rootbind and never move them to slow em down- just occasionally thinning and burning to maintain the clump.
bamagirl46
Sarasota, FL

June 20, 2013
9:57 PM

Post #9567092

Hey Bo
If you still have some bulbs left I will take a few off your hands
How much are u asking for them ?
Thanks

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America