Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Uncommon Fruit Trees for Adventurous Gardeners: Pineapple Guava

Communities > Forums > Article: Uncommon Fruit Trees for Adventurous Gardeners
bookmark
Forum: Article: Uncommon Fruit Trees for Adventurous GardenersReplies: 3, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9396942

Audrey, thank you for sharing your interesting article. I've a guava tree in the back yard that's not yet producing any fruits in the past years. Though, the tree has yielded many attractive flowers in years past. So it's time for me to do more research on pollination for this particular tree. Here is a picture of the flowers last spring. The tree makes flowers the same time Promagranate and Cotoneaster were blooming in my garden.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
5:27 AM

Post #9396945

Oooops, here comes the photo.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Audrey
Hadley, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2013
5:57 AM

Post #9397961

Thanks for the photo and the information. It sounds as if the feijoa might even be somewhat hardier than the PlantFiles indicate. Of course, in cooler zones, there's probably a larger chance of the buds getting nipped by a spring freeze. But, as that can happen with perfectly hardy fruits too, I think it's still a gamble worth taking.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
8:39 AM

Post #9398074

Audrey, I too was surprised with delight to have found that the plant survives our climate. After all, perhaps this is a case in point; one of the Uncommon Fruit Trees for Adventurous Gardeners ? :) As far as the buds getting nipped by late frost. Actually, by the time these produce flowers it was long after last frost occured in our regions. I'm pretty sure, it's a pollination issues. I'm working on this hypothesis, and will return with future update.

I'm glad to share my experience, hopefully other gardeners can benefit from mine (findings/experiences).

This message was edited Jan 26, 2013 10:40 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Uncommon Fruit Trees for Adventurous Gardeners Threads you might be interested in:

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America