Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bird Watching: This is it!

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 14, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9397304

I need to put my good thought into action. There were roughly half dozen Cedar Waxwings visited my garden earlier in the day...

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
12:10 PM

Post #9397314

Past lunch time, I heard a loud impact noise coming from the glass window. I ran out to find this poor beautiful bird gasping for his breaths. I carefully picked the stunted bird and gently placed it in a butterfly pavilon. Minutest later the bird recovered, I offered the little thing some water, and will release it back to the wild momentarily as he will show signs of fully recovery...

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9397319

Just a little while ago the bird still in a daze. Then I heard flying commotions within the cage. My heart rejoyed. The little bird made a full recovery!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9397326

More pictures to come, please anyone has a good source where I can purchase the 'reflector guard' that will warn birds from flying to glass windows. Please, please let me know.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9397345

The beautiful Waxwing whose name was given: "Hope" shows full signs of recovery.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9397349

Time to let 'Hope' once again spread her wings. A group of Waxwings all in a sudden reappeared to the backyard, as if they were missing Hope's presence, and had returned to re-claim her back to the flock.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9397354

The flock of Waxwings in flight toward 'Hope' who has just landed on the tree top from the release.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9397362

I fancied this maybe Hope took one long look at the gardener who's just released her. Or could that be her parent who's pleading me to put up some warning guards on the window to prevent future accidents.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9398132

It's such awesome to witness such beauty in the wild. Another flock of Cedar Waxwings passed by my garden this morning. I'd like to think that Hope was within the flock. Ironically, in years past. I had found one Waxwing that didn't survive the impact. That was my very discovery of this almost mysterious looking birds and learning of their common name 'Cedar Waxwing' then. Of the years that I've lived here. There were only handful of birds that collided with the glass windows. One is enough, however. I'm on a quest to provide a better environment for these beautiful birds and other wildlife in the garden. Thanks all for reading.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9398409

Oh, I am so glad the bird recovered. We don't see these beauties by our place often. Our last bird to hit a window was a Black-capped Chickadee. It recovered while I was holding it in a towel. I moved slightly and off it went... into the dining room. It found a window. It was fluttering against it, so opening the window was all it took to get it out.

I've not heard of the reflector guard- I'll look online, but we use ABC bird tape and discovered this winter we will need to place more up on windows we learned we have a problem with. I felt caged in for awhile, but got used to it and I can photograph around it.
http://abcbirdtape.org/collisions.html

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9398620

Thank you Chillybean for the recommendation. That's I've to say is a little impractical for my situation. I've seen other methods that were used effectively to protect birds from flying into glass windows. I'll have to do some more research. Thanks again.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2013
6:22 AM

Post #9398911

I hope you find something suitable. :) We found this to be the best we've tried so far, though even the site says it is not 100%. We used various clings and still had some deaths. I thought about hanging streamers as some have recommended, but my husband does not like that idea.

We've had birds hit the screen parts of our windows, but the impact seems to be less with the cushion. I need to research into windows with texture as we will be replacing some this spring.

I wish there was a fool-proof solution. We have windows and it's harming the birds we enjoy. :(

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9398947

Streamers? What do they look like?

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2013
10:06 AM

Post #9399099

The site where I read this mentioned neon orange, if I remember. It was some wild color. I think they were just plastic strips. There's also the mylar "tape" that people use on top of bluebird houses to deter house sparrows. I am not sure how to attach them though.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9399255

Thanks Chillybean, I'll need to continue reading, looking ...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America