Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: Can't wait to try these Carolina Reaper pods!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MattBryant
Cherokee, NC

January 25, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9397694

I got into growing super hot peppers last year and had great success so when I heard Pepper Joe's was selling seeds of the new hottest pepper in the world (Carolina Reaper) I was one of the first to order them online. Now super hots take a little longer to germinate then normal peppers so you have to be patient. If you plan on growing these use a seed germination mat, I bought one off Amazon.com for $24 that came with a kit and I started them in the Jiffy peat plugs. It took about 3 to 4 weeks for the seeds to germinate and I got great results, I ended up with 10 out of 12 seeds germinating. You just have to be patient. I see a lot of people that try to grow these types of peppers fail because they aren't doing any research. I have 4 plants under a Hydrofarm T5 grow light on a 16 hour light cycle. I have one in an experimental vermiponics grow system. It's growing in rock wool, I added in a few hundred composting worms along with veggie scraps every couple of weeks. I have a water basin in the bottom that's being oxygenated and creating a worm tea that nylon ropes absorb and draw up inside the rockwool. It's kicking butt right now. Here is a link to the seeds I purchased.

http://www.pepperjoe.com/shoppingcart/html/pepper.html

Thumbnail by MattBryant   Thumbnail by MattBryant   Thumbnail by MattBryant   Thumbnail by MattBryant   Thumbnail by MattBryant
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Sandra513
Litchfield Park, AZ

February 4, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9408756

If you like hot peppers you should try "chiltepines" the peppers are little balls and can be pickled or dried, they are very common in northern Mexico.
Sandra513
Litchfield Park, AZ

February 5, 2013
9:46 AM

Post #9409219

And hot as hell I should add!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2013
11:23 PM

Post #9409887

Just started some today and up potted some from last season. They are native here.
Sandra513
Litchfield Park, AZ

February 6, 2013
9:55 AM

Post #9410215

Makes great salsa :)
66ford
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 28, 2013
4:16 PM

Post #9434873

I keep hearing about the claim that it is the "Hottest pepper in the World" but run into a wall for documentation as in Guinness,New Mexico Chili institute etc. There is a claim about a Winthrop University test but when you go to Winthrop University site no real mention at all.Seems like Puckerbutt and Pepper Joe made the claims last year and a supposed "press release" and have not seen anything yet.At $1.00 a seed looks like they made a killing without the backup on the Hottest in the World documentation.A great marketing coupe if I have ever seen one!Correct me if I am wrong please.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America