Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: Peach Tree

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
florida254
Gainesville, FL

January 25, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9397706

This peach tree is in the front of my house. I was told when I bought the house it was an Ornamental Peach. Ornamentals are supposed to be poisonous. Right? I have a friend who tried the peach and that was three years ago and she is still living. The peach is small. Not as big as a golf ball. It usually has peaches on it in June. So I am wondering is it an Ornamental Peach or something else. As you can see it is beautiful when it is blooming. I just took this picture today 1/25/2013 and I fear it will get frost bitten before winter's end. But if it does it will bloom again but just not as much. Can anyone tell me for sure what it is?

Thumbnail by florida254
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2013
7:14 PM

Post #9397740

Ornamental peaches wouldn't be poisonous, they just wouldn't necessarily taste very good since they were bred for their flowers & general appearance not their tasty fruit.
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2013
7:30 PM

Post #9397756

I agree w/ecrane3 ... when I was a kid, many moons ago, my parents had double-flowered ornamental peaches. The fruits were smaller than "edible" peaches but the pits were the same size. As I recall, the fruits were rather sour and flavorless, but obviously not toxic as my siblings and I are still alive. For most Prunus spp, it is the seeds (enclosed in the pit shells) that are toxic due to cyanide compounds - one exception is almonds.
florida254
Gainesville, FL

January 26, 2013
1:54 PM

Post #9398360

OK, so we are saying it does look like an Ornamental peach? The peaches, although small, are very good. Last year the blooms looked about like they do now and they got bit. There were not as many peaches and they were not as good as usual. I really think the extreme heat got to them last year. I am hoping for a big batch this year. Thanks all for your information.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2013
3:14 PM

Post #9398441

Flowers seem slightly larger than normal, but aren't huge or double. I would say it could possibly be an "ornamental". If you are Florida, maybe that is as good as it gets for peaches. In fact, you are probably lucky to get enough chill hours to get blooms and fruit at all.

Concur with above - FRUIT not poisonous - but the leaves are another story. I have heard conflicting information on whether or not the pits are poisonous.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
4:32 PM

Post #9398498

I've a neighbor that has 3 Peach trees that all started from the pits of store bought. They are currently blooming and look like what you have pictured here. They(my neighbors) say that the fruit that they get are very good. The fruit is very small…And I've heard that trees grown from pits are not 'true' and not very good. Some say bitter. Comments appreciated…..

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9398502

I have some volunteers from pits that are very good - one of them has showier blossoms than your ornamental. I also have a couple of volunteers that have been only so-so, I am tearing them out. So - a volunteer may or may not come true from seed - best to just wait and see. Your neighbor could probably get larger fruit by thinning - if you have a heavy crop, especially on a small tree, the fruit is going to be small.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America