Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Dianthus bloom plz clarify

Hyderabad, India(Zone 12b)

Hello friends I am growing Pink Dianthus and the thing I noticed is that the flower blooms in Morning, folds at night and again the same flower blooms in morning.

Is it common with Dianthus?, when will the flower set seed?

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Sounds like you have Dianthus deltoides. this species (particularly the cultivar Arctic Fire) is often called "shy maiden" for their habit of partially closing their petals at night.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Got another variety of Dianthus deltoides is 'Zing'. Is this what you have? I love Dianthus and grow numerous varieties but sorry never noticed if any close at night. Have other pix of other varieties if needed. Is it fragrant? This one isn't tho many are, smelling of cloves. Or do you have a pix for us?

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Thanks Moonhowl actually my flower resembles Arctic Fire, but the outside is not white as in you pic but it's light pink but the inside is just the same colour as in your pic.

You are very welcome. There are a few color configurations in that group of cultivars. these are just a few

Mine is

Thanks for links

You are most welcome...dianthus flowers are among my favorites.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.