Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Beautiful Blue Sea Holly: Repeat blooming

Communities > Forums > Article: Beautiful Blue Sea Holly
bookmark
Forum: Article: Beautiful Blue Sea HollyReplies: 2, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9398061

The summer of 2011 was the first year mine bloomed. Gorgeous. Then last year no blooms. I had scattered seeds and so many produced plants that I had to pull many. I left the mother plants, but they didn't bloom. I wonder why? I think I need to fertilize that bed (includes peonies, daylilies, lilies, monarda, etc) as it somewhat underperforms the other beds. I am thinking lack of fertilizer was the answer to why they didn't rebloom in 2012. Mine are like the picture in your article, have survived several moves prior to 2011 and were/are very healthy plants with flowers that start out almost silver then darken to a deep lavender.
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2013
1:47 PM

Post #9398350

Oberon46, I think you might be right about the fertilizer, especially with the assortment that shares that bed with sea holly. Peonies and lilies tend to suck up the goodies (have you ever tried to move a mature peony? NOT.)
I hope your sea holly blooms this year. Be sure to keep us posted.

TML
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9398689

Will do. I want seeds this year to spread in the back yard gardens. The blooms are so unusual and eye catching. Very long lasting also. And look gorgeous with poppies like purple and black.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Beautiful Blue Sea Holly Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sea Holly roserairie 5 Feb 23, 2010 6:43 AM
sea holly ozarker 0 Feb 23, 2010 4:34 PM
HELP gadzooks8 2 Jul 21, 2010 4:11 PM
Even in Zone 4! kraybrower 2 Feb 5, 2013 10:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America