Photo by Melody

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Lily Group Buy from ADR for mid-atlantic spring swappers

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 305, Views: 1,735
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2013
11:33 AM

Post #9398225

***UPDATED 5 FEB *** This is becoming one lengthy post, but just take the time to read through it, and Dmail me if anything doesn't seem right.

Heya! I'm looking at some lilies for spring delivery. I've ordered daffodils from ADR bulbs in the past and been extremely pleased with both price and size/quality. They are a wholesale company, but I talked them into giving me access for the purpose of doing group buys like this. :-)

UPDATE: we are now putting together a group purchase (I'll order for all of us) from Bleek's Touch of Nature Sale, also. See http://www.touchofnature.com/specials/spring.htm Post on this thread or Dmail me to let me know what you want from him

Looks like we should get them in time for distribution at the spring swap, which will be in NJ the Saturday after Mother's Day. Too many distractions here, so I do not want to ship! If you can pick them up from me in Frederick, or if you will be at the spring swap, then please jump right in. If you can make other arrangements, that's fine... maybe you can talk somebody else into picking them up for you, or even have somebody pick them up and ship them to you -- you'd pay postage, of course.

We need to purchase in trays of 25 from ADR. (edited 1/5) Our initial selections have been pretty well sold out, but if there's something you really want, ask on the thread anyway. We've been known to juggle numbers! Also, please nominate other varieties for consideration, if you wish. If at least 2 people are interested in a lily, or if one person wants at least a dozen, we'll put it on the list and see who else is interested. I won't order until most of the 25 bulbs of a variety have "sold," so "talk up" your favorites!

List of varieties from ADR (as of 6 Feb)
Asiatic Hybrid Lilies: 'Elodie', 'Dimension'
Oriental Hybrid Lilies: 'Deep Impact' , 'Sorbonne', 'Lake Michigan', 'Tiny Oriental 'After Eight', 'Casa Blanca', 'Stargazer'
OT Hybrid Lilies: 'Bonbini', 'Conca d'Or', 'Holland Beauty', 'Satisfaction', 'Candy Club'

The prices vary from one variety to the next, looks like between $25 and $30 per lot of 25 bulbs, plus shipping. I want to keep the math simple and use an average price of $1.20 per bulb. This is a huge savings over the retail prices I've been seeing, which are generally 2 to 4 times that . (edited 2/5 to say shipping is now free! I'm keeping the price at $1.20 for now so we have a "buffer" for this order. The price per bulb is now the same whether you're ordering 1 or 3 or 5, but people ordering the most bulbs will be first in line if there are any extra bulbs at the end. I will work out the "actual cost" numbers at the end of the sale; you may get a little back, or an extra bulb, or we'll put some extra bulbs on the gift table at the swap. I'll do my best to resolve everything fairly.)

These bulbs are pretty much all sized at 16 to 18 cm (like a big daffodil bulb), although a couple are 14-16, and the Asiatics seem to be mostly 12-14 cm. The information I've found says this size should produce 5 to 7 blooms per stem. I've picked some of the biggest varieties out there to start with, and they should all have very sturdy stems and excellent "substance" (thick petals).

If there is interest, we might also look at adding gladiolus bulbs. The best deal I found (and easy to handle) is on their large-flowering mix: 20 bags of 50 corms each, mixed, for $6 per bag (including shipping). If 50 seems like a lot, bear in mind that each corm produces 1 stem, and you can plant them at staggered times (through July) to extend the flowering period. I have some that I planted deep, and they return each year without being lifted fall, but your mileage may vary. (There was interest, and you can share in a small order of glads at this thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295852/)

If this turns into a really big order, I may need PayPal in advance (which would add 30 cents + 3% to your total), or payment at the "Think Spring!" seed swap next month. I'll Dmail your total and let you know about payment. The main thing with any money issue is -- keep me in the loop!

You can find photos here: [HYPERLINK@www.adrbulbs.com] or by googling the variety name. I'll try to add some links as time allows.

SUMMARY

supplier: ADR bulbs [HYPERLINK@www.adrbulbs.com]
also our own Bleek at Touch of Nature: http://www.touchofnature.com/specials/spring.htm

price per bulb (including shipping): $1.20

(edited 1/29 to say there will be some $ and/or some leftover bulbs at the end of the sale, as they have offered our group FREE SHIPPING. Adjustments will be made at the end of the sale.)

other details: Oriental and OT ("orienpet") hybrid lilies, "precooled" for spring planting, 16-18 cm bulbs for MOST, please note a couple of varieties are smaller.

To order, please post the variety you want with the number of bulbs in front of the name. Post each variety on an different line, to make sure I don't miss any.
example
5 Lake Michigan
3 OT Bonbini

Posting doesn't guarantee you'll get them, as we have to make it come out in even lots of 25 bulbs per variety. (I can order 50, but not 32 bulbs of one kind)

ASIATIC HYBRIDS

(25 0) 'Elodie' 12/14 cm bulbs
3 Critter, 3 Roses., 3 Aspen., 3 Holly., 5 Donner, 5 SSG, 3 Happy

(25 0) 'Dimension' 12/14 cm bulbs, deep velvety ruby-red (on initial order)
3 Terp, 5 Holly, 5 SSG, 5 Aspen, 2 Gita, 5 Roses

**the above Asiatic lilies have been ordered at the end of January. You can still inquire about them, as we may be able to juggle numbers. Additions ordered Feb. 11 are listed below**

(25 7) 'Dimension' second bag of 25 (ordered Feb 11)
15 Donner, 3 Critter

ORIENTAL HYBRID LILY VARIETIES (available number in parentheses)

(25 0) 'Deep Impact' : 16/18 cm bulbs, red-pink with thin bright white edge (on initial order)
6 critter, 3 aspen, 3 Holly, 5 Donner, 5 SSG, 3 Happy,

(25 0 ) 'Sorbonne' : 14/16 cm bulbs, pink-lavender with thin white edge, seems to be a favorite pink in reviews (on initial order)
6 Critter, 3 Aspen, 5 Holly, 5 Donner, 3 Terp, 3 Happy

(25 0) 'Lake Michigan' : 16/18 cm bulbs,white bloom blushing to magenta on tips (on initial order)
6 Critter, 3 Aspen, 2 Gita, 5 Donner, 3 Terp, 3 Happy, 3 Roses

(50 5) Tiny Oriental 'After Eight' : a genetic dwarf developed for pot culture, it looks to me like a miniature 'Star Gazer'. (25 ordered initially, 25 more ordered Feb 11)
15 Critter, 5 Aspen, 10 Donner, 5 Holly, 10 Happy.

(25 0) Casa Blanca' : 16/18 cm bulbs, white, an extra-fragrant classic ((on initial order)
6 Chantell, 5 Donner, 5 Sos07, 3 Terp, 3 Happy, 3 Marlene

(25 0) 'Stargazer'' : 16/18 cm bulbs, white & pink & cranberry, an extra-fragrant classic (on initial order)
(15) Critter, 5 Donner, 5 Happy,

**the above Oriental lilies have been ordered at the end of January. You can still inquire about them, as we may be able to juggle numbers. Possible additions are listed below**

(25 0) 'Stargazer'' 2nd bag ordered Feb. 11
5 (to 10) Chantell, 10 Donner, 3 (to5) Critter, 7 Happy

(25 0) 'Acapulco'' ordered Feb 11
12 Critter, 3 Roses, 3 Chantell, 3 Aspen, 4 Happy

OT HYBRID LILY VARIETIES (available number in parentheses)

(25 2)'Bonbini' : 16/18 cm bulbs, white with unique star pattern at throat
6 Critter, 3 Roses, 5 Aspen, 1 Sos07, 3 Terp, 5 Happy

(25 0) 'Conca d'Or' : 16/18 cm bulbs, white and gold
3 Critter, 3 Roses, 2 Gita, 5 Holly, 5 Donner, 1 Sos07, 3 Terp, 3 Happy

(25 0) 'Holland Beauty' 16/18 cm bulbs, cream edge, pink-red center. One of the newer hybrids from the tet Black Beauty, featured on the cover of B&D Lily's 2009 catalog.
6 Critter, 5 Aspen, 5 Holly, 1 Sos07, 3 Terp, 5 Happy

(25 0) 'Satisfaction' : 16/18 cm bulbs, pink-red with yellow throat. Said to be sturdy enough to not need staking! Hart's favorite, as I recall.
9 Critter, 5 Aspen, 5 Chantell, 1 Sos07, 5 (or4) Happy

**the above OT lilies have been ordered at the end of January. You can still inquire about them, as we may be able to juggle numbers. Possible additions are listed below**

(25 0) 'Candy Club' wide white edges and bright red-pink make a striking combination. Add great, sturdy stems, and fragrance -- wow!
6 Critter, 3 Chantell, 5 Holly, 5 Donner, 5 Aspen, 1 Sos

(25 7)OT Conca d'Or second bag
10 Donner, 3 Chantell, 5 SSG

PHLOX & ASTILBE -- we're testing the waters by ordering two sets (bags of 25) of ADR's bare root perennials along with the lilies. Order will be placed when the next round of lilies is ordered

25 7 Tall Garden Phlox 'David' -- well known white variety, very tough and (relatively) mildew-resistant. sun to partial shade
12 Critter, 3 SSG, 5 Happy, 5 Gita

25 0? Astilbe 'Ostrich' -- famed for its graceful, arching white blooms.
12 (up to 25) Aspen, 3 SSG, 10 Happy?

LILY ORDER FROM TOUCH OF NATURE

Oriental Rose Lily Fabiola (double rose pink flowers)
Critter, Aspen, Terp

Oriental lily 'Salmon Star'
Terp

Oriental 'Hotline' (that pink picotee edge reminds me of the edge on 'Eyeliner'!)
1 set (3 bulbs) Critter, 1 set (3 bulbs) Happy

3 Oriental Double 'Magic Star' 2/$6
Critter (3 bulbs), ? (3 bulbs)

1 Lily Oriental Pot Farolito
Terp

4 Rubrum Uchida (pink species lily with old fashioned recurved petals like Black Beauty).
1 (2) Aspen, 1 1/2 (3)Critter, 1 1/2 (3) Donner

1 OT hybrid 'Robina'
Critter

3 Lily rubrum 'Black Beauty'
1 set (3) Critter, 2 sets (6 bulbs) Donner,

3 Lily Tiger 'Pink' 4 for
3 sets: 9 bulbs Critter,3 bulbs Aspen

still need to order for Chantell:
1 set Trumpet 'Regale'
1 set OT 'Red Dutch'

This message was edited Feb 13, 2013 11:02 PM

This message was edited Feb 21, 2013 2:12 PM

Thumbnail by critterologist
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2013
11:50 AM

Post #9398240

I'd like

3 Holland Beauty

3 Bon Bini

Would be interested in Elodie and Conca D'or if we go further.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2013
11:51 AM

Post #9398243

Jill,
I like all of them. Put me down for 5 of each variety. As you get other requests, I can be flexible by either going up or down for any of the varieties to make the counts work out to an increment of 25.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9398264

Critter et al,

The Spring Swap 2013 is Sat. May 18th at Jan's in New Jersey

(The Sat after Mothers Day)

This message was edited Jan 26, 2013 3:23 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2013
12:35 PM

Post #9398279

I like , in order of preference:

2--"Lake Michigan"
2--"Conca d' Or"
2--"Pink Mystery".

"Lake Michigan" is my favorite; The 6 total can be a mix of these three. However it works out.

Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2013
12:46 PM

Post #9398301

Oh, and I remember somebody mentioning 'Eyelash', an Asiatic hybrid... ADR doesn't have that one this year.

Gita, I'll just put you down for 2 'Lake Michigan' for now, OK? Or did you want more? We are not adding more varieties just yet, although I'm sure we'll be able to add some once we fill these first lots.

FWIW, these prices make it affordable to plant in clumps of 3 or 5. When you buy a potted lily in bloom, there are almost always multiple bulbs in the pot (and most likely smaller bulbs than these). A clump gives you several bloom stalks, and you can support the blooms (if needed) easily by putting a single stake or bamboo pole in the center of the clump or even just gently tying the stalks together with a big loop of twine.

That small discount, btw, applies to 5 bulbs of 1 variety... because buying in multiple of 5 makes counting & packing easier! :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9398311

Thanks, Coleup!

I'm not sure if there will also be a "southern mid-Atlantic" swap this year, but we'll see how it works out. Instead of another swap as such, I may offer some kind of workshop day plus lily pickup the Saturday before Mother's Day... so if you can make it to Frederick that day (or another day), feel free to order even if you won't be at Jan's on May 18.

(Aspen-Terri -- do you want to road trip together to Jan's? Looks like Salem, NJ is 2 1/2 hours from me via Baltimore and 3 1/2 hours via York/Lancaster)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2013
2:11 PM

Post #9398378

Well--then you can put me down for 5 of the "Lake Michigan". Looks the most like the "Honeymoon" I had.
I do want about 5 bulbs. Two would not be worth it...

Just thought if you had odd numbers of requests of what people wanted--I would not be picky to have
6 bulbs of a mix of the three I like. Like--to fill out the numbers.
Likewise--if you are 2 short of a certain variety to make 25--let me know and I may take the few needed to round it out.

G.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2013
5:28 PM

Post #9398541

Yes - road trip to Jan's sounds good to me!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9398573

OK, Gita! I'll put you down for 5 'Lake Michigan', and you can decrease it to 3 if you want later. And if we do add the Conca d'Or (which seems fairly likely), I'll put you down for 3 or 5 of those, also.

If we start ordering more OT's than "regular" oriental or asiatics, it's possible the average price of a bulb could go up, but we're not talking about big increases. I'll update the top post as we go along, too.

Yay, Terri! I'm already looking forward to it.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
6:50 AM

Post #9398928

Can you please put me down for the following?

5 Lake Michigan
5 Deep Impact
5 Conca d'Or (if you order this variety)
10 After Eight

Thank you very much!

This message was edited Jan 27, 2013 10:00 AM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
7:38 AM

Post #9398971

Jill
5 Deep Impact
5 Sorbone
5 After Eight
5 Holland Beauty
I could take 10 ea if needed

This message was edited Jan 27, 2013 3:42 PM

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9399008

Jill,
In your original post, it looks like Holland Beauty and Bon bini are no longer on the list - did you drop them or did they accidentally get edited out?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
10:48 AM

Post #9399130

Whoops! I shouldn't cut & paste after midnight. Thanks, Terri!

Holland Beauty and Bonbini ARE on the list of OT hybrids, and they're stunning!

'Holland Beauty' was on the cover of the 2009 B&D lily catalog (according to their site), so I know it's going to be something special.

I think I have the list at the top updated now. LMK if I missed anything. I also think we're close enough to accounting for the ones I wanted (especially since Holly & I are willing to increase to 10, and really everybody is willing to be flexible to make it "come out right" -- thanks!!).

So, the floor is open for nominations... if 2 people post wanting a variety (or if somebody wants 10 or more), I'll add it to the list and we'll see how it goes. So far, I think we've had 1 vote for 'Elodie'.

I do want to comment that I think the image for 'Satisfaction' on the ADR site doesn't do it justice. Check out its PF page: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/254146/ It's not as "loud" as 'Silk Road' or 'Fresno'.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9399188

I guess take me off the 'Conca d'Or' - prefer to stay in the pink/lavender shades. But, I'm definitely in for RRR's choice of 'Elodie'.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9399190

You are right it doesn't do it justice. Really like Royal Sunset how about something dark like Dimension.

I would take 5 of the Elodie if you needed me too.

This message was edited Jan 27, 2013 4:00 PM

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2013
1:05 PM

Post #9399235

I have Elodie in my garden. That one, Eyeliner and Black Out get the most ooooohhs and aaahhhhs. I will start some lilies in my youngest grandson's garden. He'll be happy with whatever I buy here.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9399250

OK, dropping 'C. d'Or' for Aspen, adding Elodie... ooh, a double bloom, nice. (3 for Roses, 5 for Aspen, 5 for Holly, 2 (or5) for me).

I think people were just editing to tidy up, but... any changes or additions, please put them in a NEW post on this thread. :-)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9399251

Oh Yeah, I remember Eyeliner that was spectacular.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9399322

I have no idea how I am going to protect them from deer, but add 5 Elodie for me anyway.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9399340

Would LOVE
15 Satisfaction (can decrease if anyone else wants some)

Anyone know if the Tiny Oriental 'After Eight can be put into the ground v pot and if its fragrance is similar to the big boys?

On side note should anyone see a good deal on any of the following please let me know :-) 'Silk Road' 'Scheherazade' 'Casa Blanca' (know this is a common one) as well as Lilium regale

Thanks Donner for pointing this thread out to me!!

This message was edited Jan 27, 2013 6:11 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9399357

I've got a similar dwarf oriental lily (dang, can't remember the name... Mona Lisa?) that did OK in the ground for a few years... didn't have a powerful scent, though, as I recall. Good sniff to it, but you had to be close.

I'm on the lookout for 'Scheherizade' also... we will see if that or 'Silk Road' ends up on the sale list from Bleek or from ChefMike, and I'll post on this thread about it when I know. I've asked for Scheherizade, and I think both are already considering Silk Road for their sales.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9399413

Jill--

Just a reminder---I did not want 10 Lilies--as you figured out for me.. No room to plant them!
Five-six total is about it. Three of each: Lake Michigan and three of Concha D 'Or.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9399518

Gita, that's why I asked you if you wanted 3 of each or 5 of each. I put you down for "5(or3)" to make sure there were 5 reserved for you in case you did want them. I'll change those to 3.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9399569

Jill--You wrote:
Gita, I'll just put you down for 2 'Lake Michigan' for now, OK? Or did you want more? We are not adding more varieties just yet, although I'm sure we'll be able to add some once we fill these first lots.
Clarifying here:
Because you said you are "not adding more varieties", just 2 of "Lake Michigan" would not be enough,
I said that you can THEN put me down for just 5 L.M.--since you may not be adding more varieties .
That would be 5 bulbs--and it would be OK. Then more varieties were added--

To make it simpler---at least in my mind--I want no more than 5 or 6 bulbs.
If I can have 3 of Lake Mich. and 3 of Concha D'Or. Six total. That would be OK.

IF you do not have any other variety that i wanted to add to the 3 Lake. Mich.----THEN I will take 5 Lake. Mich. only
I cannot explain it any simpler.
I put down my preferences--2--"Lake Michigan" 2--"Concha d' Or" 2--"Pink Mystery"
believing you would order what we all wanted. Then there's talk about "lots" and "trays of 25"..which throws
each person's choices off. In that case--why would someone choose what they want if it will not be included?

This all is getting too confusing for me...I am not used to these "Group Buys" . May be my first and last.

Maybe it is hard because i want such a small amount. Looking at what other people are ordering--it is 5 of this and 5 of that
and 10 of this and 10 of that...I cannot do that!

Bedtime...my brain is tired...G.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
9:46 PM

Post #9399679

Gita, these lilies come in bags of 25 -- that's 25 bulbs of the same ONE variety per bag. So before a variety is added to the list, there has to be significant interest in it (more than 2 bulbs). We get these really good prices because we are buying in WHOLESALE quantities. I'm just happy we can get good prices on bags of 25... the next lot size is 200 bulbs of a given variety!

I'm starting with a fairly short list and adding more varieties as we go. That way, I know that most of the 25 bulbs in a bag have been spoken for before I see about adding another bag.

That does mean more varieties will be available as we go along. Currently you are down for 3 each of 2 varieties. If another variety is added (one that we as a group are willing to purchase 25 of) that you want, I will let you adjust your order to 2 each of 3 varieties in order to keep your total of 6 bulbs constant.

You asked "why would someone choose what they want if it will not be included?" Because if they say they want a certain variety, and if others are also interested, then we can probably get our total number for that variety to 25, and then I'll add it to the order. I won't order a bag of 25 bulbs because one person wants 2 of them, or I will be "stuck" with 23 bulbs.

That is how "group buys" work. Hope that clears things up for you and anybody else who might be wondering!

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2013
9:51 PM

Post #9399680

We're doing pretty well with accounting for 25 or nearly 25 of each variety on our list so far.

Repeating what I said above, the floor is open for nominations... if 2 people post wanting a variety (or if somebody wants 10 or more), I'll add it to the list and we'll see how it goes.

So far, Elodie and C. d'Or have been added to our original list of 7 lilies. Other suggestions (with 1 person interested so far) are Pink Mystery, Royal Sunset, and Dimension.

If there's something you really want, but you don't want 25 of them -- talk it up! If enough people want 5 here, 3 there, then we'll add it to the order.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9399932

Critter, this would be my first time ever growing lilies. I've stayed way from them due to the price (usually $5 per bulb!), but this is a really good deal!

I'd like 5 Elodie and 5 Deep Impact.

I'm also interested in Dimension.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9399990

SSG, I think you'll be glad you took the plunge! I'm really excited about being able to plant 5 bulbs for the price that I'd pay for a single bulb locally. :-)

Looks like 'Dimension' might be a "go," especially since we don't have a dark one on the list yet... it would be a nice compliment to many. I can see it with my 'Lollipop' Asiatic lilies... maybe I'll try dividing those this year.

I've seen some comments that Asiatic lilies multiply and persist (year to year) better than Orientals. Anybody want to chime in on that?
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9400032

Critter, I'm definitely in for 5 Dimension if you end up ordering them. :)

Btw, what grows well with lilies? Do you plant something in front of them to hide their feet? Do you think they'll be good with alliums, phlox, shasta daisies?

And I'd love to do this again in the fall! I need to buy about 100 muscari bulbs. They're doing great in a squirrel- and vole-infested area.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9400037

I put my stored dahlia bulbs between the lilies. I don't stake them and they crawl and hide all the cut off lily stems. There are shasta daisies and nicotiana that self seed there. I have half a dozen miniature roses scattered about also. I'll probably place some of the winter sow and inside sow seedlings around. Looks like a flower jungle, but that's what I have grown used to since I started using up every little bit of space to plant in!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2013
9:12 AM

Post #9400127

SSG, I've been told the fall-planted bulb list will be up at ADR by mid-Feb.

Great suggestions, Roses! I had no idea dahlias would look fine un-staked... now I want dahlias LOL. Next year. This year... annuals like zinnias and nicotiana to fill in around them, I think... Love the look of phlox blooming nearby.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9400313

I could squeeze in 2 or 3 of "dimension" as well. Love the color!!

May need to dig something up to do find room for 3 more...
Maybe my Chinese Regale Lilies??? that really did not do well last year--but it was the
first year for them since i dug them up and moved them to a S. facing bed.
This is really a good spot--no tree roots--good soil, sunshine all day.

Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9400457

I think you probably have to give most plants a year to settle in after you move them... "The first year they sleep, the second year they sleep, the third year they leap." (These bulbs are big, though, and they've been pre-cooled, so I have no worries about them blooming this year.)

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
3:17 PM

Post #9400494

If you add Dimension to the list, count me in for 5. The darker purple color is nice.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9400588

Cool. 'Dimension' should be a "go" then. Let's see if we can bring a few more people into this group, too, although I guess I have between now & the spring swap to "sell off" any leftovers!

I'll catch up on numbers at the top and add 'Dimension' later tonight or tomorrow... I'm using a few computer minutes here & there this evening to get a Gladiolus offer up. :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9400617

Gladiolus thread is up! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295852/#new I'll be adding descriptions and links for photos... some are listed individually on the ADR gladiolus page.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2013
8:27 PM

Post #9400840

Ordering list in the first post has been updated to this point. Let me know if I missed something you wanted!

These bulbs are FIRST COME FIRST SERVED. If there's one you really want, and you haven't posted an order yet, don't wait. Most of these bags of 25 are close to selling out. There are 5 left of most varieties, 8 or 10 left of a couple. We might end up getting a second bag of 'Tiny Oriental After Eight' (because it's a miniature and nice in pots, which makes it appealing for more people), but I don't think we'll be able to make an order of 50 for any of the others.

Gita, you now have 2 bulbs each of Lake Michigan, C. d'Oro, and Dimension, so your total is still 6 bulbs. Let me know if you want to increase any of those, while they're still available.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2013
8:33 PM

Post #9400842

*** GOOD NEWS ***

Chris at ADR Bulbs is going to let us have FREE SHIPPING on our spring order (lilies and glads) as well as on the fall-planted bulbs!

(Their list of bulbs for fall will be up toward the end of February... there's no thread for that one yet, but I know a lot of folks are interested!)

For now, I can use the discount as a buffer, letting me reserve any variety where we have ordered at least 20 of the 25 bulbs per variety. At the end of this sale, extra money might mean the price per bulb will be less, or we might have leftover bulbs to split between us or to put on the gift/doorprize table for the spring swap.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2013 11:59 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2013
9:05 PM

Post #9400853

Tomorrow, I'll go ahead and order 1 bag of everything on our list so far, except Bonbini. We may drop OT Bonbini if there's not more interest in it, but don't panic yet if you want it... I think we can keep this open through this coming Sunday, and that's plenty of time for people to find this thread.

Do we have any other nominations for additions to our order?

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2013
9:17 PM

Post #9400863

Yes, Jill...Donner and I would like Casa Blanca if you're willing. If no one else wants to enjoy that amazing scent - we will hoard them among ourselves. LOL :-)

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
3:37 AM

Post #9400949

Jill, can you please add 5 'Sorbonne' for me as well? Thanks.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2013
4:49 AM

Post #9400973

If Bonbini is deleted, please replace it with:

3 Conca D'or

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
6:51 AM

Post #9401110

Jill--Thank you.

I have a suggestion. It would help if, now and then, as this post gets longer and longer--
you would post (again) the link to all the Lilies available. As people want to order additional
LIlies--others may also want to double check what is available.

I know I have had to scroll way up to the top to find the link--as in checking what color :Dimension: was--
which I ended up ordering. Same for the Caladium link. I have had to go to Donners D-mail to look it up several times.

Thanks.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9401122

Me, again.

James (my youngest GS) saw the pictures and wants

5 'Dimension'

Thank you.

Sos07

Sos07
IJAMSVILLE, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
9:06 AM

Post #9401249

I would like Casa Blanca ,and orienpets.How about lilium formosum?

Sos07

Sos07
IJAMSVILLE, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9401278

Please let me know how to do this,ordering.I am new to ordering but not to gardening .Gardener of 22 yrs,mostly bulbs.I have 7 raised beds.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9401295

Welcome, Sos! Hopefully the top post will have the information you need. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Basically, we're getting a big break on prices by ordering wholesale, but we (as a group) have to make the numbers come out even -- the lily bulbs come in bags of 25.

Look at the list (2nd half of first post), and see if there are any you want. The number still available is in parentheses. If it says (25 6) 'Rainbow Lily' that means we can get a bag of 25 "Rainbow Lilies" and 6 of the bulbs are still available (19 have been ordered by others in the group). If you really want one that's sold out, just post something like "if it becomes available, I'd really love some 'Silly Lily' bulbs." Sometimes, people drop out (not encouraged of course, but life happens), and sometimes people are willing to "share" what they have ordered/reserved.

If you look at the ADR site and see something else you'd love to have added to our group order, talk it up. If there's interest, we'll see if we can "sell" a bag of 25.

We're leaving the pricing as is for the moment, $1.25 per bulb or 5 for $1.20. That gives me a little bit of margin to still order something even if we've "sold" only 21 of 25. I'll figure it out at the end.

So, there's a summary for everybody of how this works! :-)

Gita, there's a "go the the top of this thread" option at the bottom of every thread. The list is in the first post of the thread, so it should be pretty easy to find. You can also click on the "post ###" link at the left of the first post... it will open in a new window, and then you can bookmark it all by itself.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2013
10:07 AM

Post #9401300

Asiatic 'Dimension' is SOLD OUT. But I'd give up my 3 to anybody who's desperate. :-)

We've got 8 Oriental 'Sorbonne' left and 12 'Bonbini'. (That's why 'Bonbini' won't be ordered today, but hopefully we'll add a bag of them by the end of the week.) There are 5 left of each of the rest.

I'll see where we're at with the Glads and then get in touch with ADR to place our initial order!

Sos07

Sos07
IJAMSVILLE, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9401303

I'll take :
5 Casa Blanca
5 any O.T.(I 'm not fussy,but not black)

Sos07

Sos07
IJAMSVILLE, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
10:11 AM

Post #9401305

Are these the only varieties as of now?

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
10:29 AM

Post #9401326

Jill,
I really like Bonbini - I think this might be the one I saw blooming in your garden last year. In my garden I have orientals and a few asiatics, but no orienpets. I'll take all of the remaining Bonbinis to keep it on the list, and if anybody else ends up wanting some, you can just decrease from my total. Looks like it is going to be a lily year for my garden!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2013
10:54 AM

Post #9401342

Aspen, I'll go ahead and add 'Bonbini'. I don't have it in my garden -- but I want it. LOL We'll figure it out.

Sos, those are the varieties we have at present. Feel free to "nominate" others from the ADR page!

I think I'm going to add a bag of 'Stargazer'. I know my brother wants some, so I'll "sign him up" for 15, and if nobody else wants the rest I'll happily take them.

I'm also adding Crocosmia 'Lucifer' but don't need 50 for myself... if anybody wants some, they'd be 10 for $3.15.

And I'm thinking maybe I should try one of their bare-root plants just to see what they are like, maybe do a plant "group buy" next spring from them. They have "#1 divisions" of phlox (FWIW) for about a dollar each... Is anybody interested in a few? I'd like either David (white), Laura (purple, white eye), or Bright Eyes (pink, white eye).
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9401371

Oh, and I giggled when I read Sos's comment as "is that ALL?" I know it's not a wide selection... but to me, it's 250 lily bulbs that I'll be repackaging, not to mention the glads, crocosmia, and anything else that gets tossed in. That's a big enough order to have fun with... and if it "blossoms" into twice that many, that's still OK, but more than that and I'm throwing in the towel!

(Oh, and Terri... I hope you know I'll be recruiting help for a "bagging party" the week before the swap... counting on you, my friend! ;-) Of course, Joyanna will help also. She's excited about how pretty all the lily photos are.)

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2013
12:05 PM

Post #9401414

If we are still ordering BonBini, I would take some to help out.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9401416

Critter, I'm definitely interested in the phlox! I know David is resistant to powdery mildew, and I think I've read Bright Eyes is as well. I've read that Laura is highly prone to PM.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2013
12:17 PM

Post #9401428

Do none of the newer whites smell as wonderful as 'Casa Blanca'? The advantage to the newer ones generally being thicker substance, ruffled edges, etc.

Then again, the way 'Casa Blanca' smells, I would not care what its bloom looked like, it would still be a must-have.

Thinking about the striking dark anthers of Casa Blanca reminded me of a word of advice for anybody who hasn't grown lilies before: If any pollen gets on your skin or clothing, BRUSH is off as completely as possible. Once water hits the pollen, the resulting orange/yellow stain is almost impossible to remove. There's a reason florists remove the anthers from lilies in bridal bouquets!

(sheesh, I just found this post on the study computer... guess I got interrupted! )
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2013
12:21 PM

Post #9401436

I did add 'Casa Blanca' to our order; we'll divide them however it works out. Donner & Chantell, please let me know numbers -- like "at least 5, will take 10" (which would work)

You know, I do think 'Bright Eyes' and 'David' are the ones that have always done best for me. Should we go with 'David'? White goes with everything... and 'David' even does pretty well in part-shade, I believe.

I don't want to get a lot of phlox or other bare root plants. Just like I did smaller "sample" orders with the bulbs, I want to see what the plants look like from them. (I think they'll be just fine, but I don't want to have too much invested in any one group buy, you know?)

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9401440

I can always tell when guests have been in my lily garden before they come into the house. Their noses are yellow!

Sos07

Sos07
IJAMSVILLE, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9401443

I'm sorry Jill,that's not the way that I meant that.I'm trying to collect more hard to find lilies.If you need help re- packing the bulbs to separate orders,please let me know.I'm not far from Hyattstown on Rt.75.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9401455

Jill, I'd be glad to help sort out the bulbs - it is always so much fun to get together. The orienpet lily I saw blooming in your garden was in the side bed that adjoins your neighbor's fence. It was towards the front and had the hugest blooms I had ever seen - first time seeing an orienpet up close and personal. I knew I had to add some to my garden this year. Any chance you remember which variety it was? I think it had the same coloring as Bonbini. Two mass clumps of the Bonbini are going to look great in my garden - one clump will be in the 'cottage garden' by the garage, and the other clump will be in the 'hillside shade garden' going up the stone steps.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9401463

Jill--

I will take some Crocosmia "Lucifer". Gonna give it one more try!
At least 10 or 15. They look nice in groups.

See id anyone else wants them. I'd be happy with 10--but will help you out if there are no takers.
Mt fave gardener at work--I may gift her a few.

Thanks, Gita

Sos07

Sos07
IJAMSVILLE, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
1:05 PM

Post #9401567

I ,too can help even an amount out.I can never say no to a lily.My husband is the one who says no.I told him about what we are doing with the bulbs and he said fine.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2013
1:22 PM

Post #9401594

Hmm, let me see if i can guess without trying to dig for a tag... that orienpet had "purple" in its name, i think... no, that wouldn't have been 'Purple Prince', although I think that went into that corner also... Might have been 'Triumphator', which has a lot of white with pink toward the center... I know I ordered that one a couple years ago, and I think that's where it went. B&D lilies has a good photo. http://www.bdlilies.com/ot.html (Actually, I think it's on the ADR page also)

Sos, sorry, I was just kidding around... I know you didn't expect us to have a huge selection! Terri & I will let you know when we have a "sorting party," though... it's a good excuse to meet & chat. :-)

ADR does have a pretty big selection, though -- not B&D "big" but not bad. It would probably be fairly easy to talk us into trying another oriental or two... Have you checked their lily pages to see if there are any you'd especially love to see added to this group buy? There are two pages, actually, one for "lilies for cuts" and one for "lilies for pots" -- they organize this way because they mostly sell to growers & nurseries, any of them are fine for landscape use also.

http://www.adrbulbs.com/category/Wholesale-Bulk-Lilium-Bulbs-For-Cuts
http://www.adrbulbs.com/category/Wholesale-Bulk-Lilium-Bulbs-For-Pots

I think 'Bonbini' might have relatively subtle markings with that pink star in the center... it's probably going to look more like a white lily from a distance. If we wanted to get one with a little more "oomph" that's white & pink, I'd suggest adding 'Triumphator' or 'Nymph'. Both should have great size & substance to the blooms. (I don't have 'Nymph', so I'm nominating it!!)

Gita, I'm in the same place with crocosmia... have planted them a couple of times with no luck, gonna give it another try this year. I think once they "take," you have them forever. And I'm always impressed by how 'Lucifer' looks with just about anything... unlike most reds, it "goes with" other colors nicely.

I'm also still keeping my eye out for a good offer on 'Scheherizade'... price won't be as low as these, but I'll see what I can find. LMK if anybody else finds something "good" to add from somewhere else, also!

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9401637

Jill, yes. I would like to have at least 5 Casa Blanca, but will take 10. Thanks.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
2:55 PM

Post #9401690

Jill, maybe switching Bonbini to Nymph is a good idea. I'm up for the switch. RRR, how about you?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9401727

*** SALE DATES PLEASE READ ***

The last day for nominating additions to our lily list is Wednesday, Feb. 6.
The last day for posting orders (including, hopefully, evening up the numbers) is Friday, Feb. 8.
This will give me a week before the seed swap to total up what people owe for lilies, glads, moisture crystals, markers, etc.
I'll need that time -- I've got other things to organize for the swap, a 3 year old, and quite likely my in-laws coming to visit.

Please pay for your order at the seed swap in February, or by PayPal before April 24. If you need to mail a check somewhere in between those dates, that's OK, but please Dmail me and let me know how and when you'll be paying. I'm flexible -- I just want to be kept in the loop. :-)

It is POSSIBLE (but no guarantee) that I will re-open this sale before our bulbs ship at the end of April. I don't want other people who will be able to come to the spring swap to miss out on these lilies just because they weren't planning quite so far ahead. But I also don't know how many varieties will still be offered at that point.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
3:50 PM

Post #9401772

Ok. Ok. I'm down

3 Concas
3 Holland Beautys
3 Bon Binis
3 Sorbonne
3 Casa Blanca
3 Lake Michigans
3 Dimensions

If I need to amend or settle on something else let me know.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2013 9:12 PM

This message was edited Jan 30, 2013 6:23 PM
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9401779

Jill, David sounds good to me. I'm fine with either David or Bright Eyes.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9401794

Sos's mention of "hard to find" got me thinking... Is anybody interested in sharing an order from B & D Lilies? They're pretty much at the opposite end, price-wise, but their quality (and bulb size) is said to be unbeatable. We'd save a few bucks on shipping over ordering separately from them, and there are also price breaks if we happen to order 3 or 6 of the same variety. They have 'Scheherizade' and several other OT hybrids that make me drool.

You know, just in case we haven't complicated this order yet for anybody... ROFL
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2013
4:08 PM

Post #9401800

SSG, I'll see about adding a bag of their 'David' bare-roots at the end of next week, along with any other additions. (I don't want to make Chris crazy by adding things every other day to what must still be a fairly small order by wholesale standards!)

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9401863

Nymph would be ok with me.

Sos07

Sos07
IJAMSVILLE, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9401887

Jill,what is the status of 'Eyeliner'?I checked B&D , they are very pretty and I have not seen them before.

Sos07

Sos07
IJAMSVILLE, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
5:11 PM

Post #9401891

I'll take 10 Casa Blanca's ,if that's not a problem.

Sos07

Sos07
IJAMSVILLE, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9401892

I'll take you up on a possible B&D addition.There were several I had my eye on!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9401897

Yeah you could count me in, too. Especially for Eyeliner.
Don't want to over load you.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9401900

Jill, just saw Startgazer on the list. I would like to have 5 if you can spare them :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9401968

Donner, no problem on the 5 Stargazer. Sometimes you just can't beat a classic!

I'm happy to put together a B&D order also. We'll get a dollar or two off where we can, but I don't want anybody to feel pressured to get one variety over another just so our group order is 3 of a kind or 6 of a kind... Order what you want; the main savings will be on shipping.

That said, cruise the B&D Lily site and feel free to chit chat about what you're considering. When you have finalized what you want from them, send me a Dmail. I'll figure out everybody's share of the shipping (as a percentage), and I'll subtract discounts where we've ordered in multiples.

Just so we're clear, 'Eyeliner' and 'Scheherizade' are on the B&D site but not available on our ADR Bulbs order.

You know, maybe we do need a separate thread for the B&D order. I'm going to call it "Anybody ordering from B&D Lilies this Spring?" so it will be open to more general chat. Sound good?

Sos07

Sos07
IJAMSVILLE, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9401974

YEEESSSS!Good idea!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9401977

OK, I'll put a thread up as soon as Joyanna goes to bed... so, everybody start humming lullabyes...

Sos07

Sos07
IJAMSVILLE, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9401999

I think that your time is off by 1hr.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9402012

LOL! She's seldom asleep before 10, even when we think we're "shooting for" 9. Jim works from home mostly, and I'm a stay-home mom, so we're not getting her up at 6:30 to go to day care... that makes us a lot more laid back about our schedules, and all of us get to bed relatively late most nights. Don't worry -- she gets enough sleep!

She's having a bedtime snack now, though, so I put up a thread for chatting about B&D Lily offerings: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296051/
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
7:00 PM

Post #9402014

I'm so late to the party. I tried to fill up all the orders -- I'm totally flexible. I haven't read the full thread -- if I missed something and shouldn't be placing this, that's fine too.

ASIATIC HYBRIDS

5 'Elodie' 12/14 cm bulbs

5 'Deep Impact' : 16/18 cm bulbs, red-pink with thin bright white edge

5 'Sorbonne' : 14/16 cm bulbs, pink-lavender with thin white edge, seems to be a favorite pink in reviews

8 'Lake Michigan' : 16/18 cm bulbs,white bloom blushing to magenta on tips

5 (or 15) Happy Tiny Oriental 'After Eight' : a genetic dwarf developed for pot culture, it looks to me like a miniature 'Star Gazer'. We'll make do with 25 if we don't get to 50.

10 Casa Blanca' : 16/18 cm bulbs, white, an extra-fragrant classic

10 'Stargazer'' : 16/18 cm bulbs, white & pink & cranberry, an extra-fragrant classic

5 'Bonbini' : 16/18 cm bulbs, white with unique star pattern at throat

4 'Conca d'Or' : 16/18 cm bulbs, white and gold

5 'Holland Beauty' 16/18 cm bulbs, cream edge, pink-red center. One of the newer hybrids from the tet Black Beauty, featured on the cover of B&D Lily's 2009 catalog.

4 'Satisfaction' : 16/18 cm bulbs, pink-red with yellow throat. Said to be sturdy enough to not need staking! Hart's favorite, as I recall.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
7:51 PM

Post #9402077

Jill - I'll take:
5 Casa Blanca willing to take 10
5 Stargazers
reduce my Satisfaction order from 15 to 5 please (if it doesn't complicate things)

I would be interested in a couple of 'David' phlox

NOTE: a store that's been added to my weekly route is north of Leesburg right before the bridge going over to MD. Although I probably won't be at the seed swap - I can easily cross the bridge and come by to help sort most any Sunday after church.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2013
8:47 PM

Post #9402120

Don't worry about zeroing out quantities at this point, order the number that you want... it's even OK to ask for ones that seem to be "sold out," as you never know when there could be enough interest for a second bag to be ordered. Just realize they may or may not be available!

The weekend before the spring plant swap is Mother's Day, so I'm guessing that might not work for a sort-meet. But May 5 should be fine, Chantell. I'll ask for the lilies to be sent out the week of April 30th, and we can get together that Sunday, whoever is available. At the least, I can pull your order and get it to you. Are you planning to go to the plant swap May 18?

Happy, I need to update the availability list from Terp's order on down. I'll put you down up to 5 for whatever is left... and you should feel free to look at the ADR lily page and go OOOOHH if there's something we should consider adding.

On the Tiny Oriental 'After Eight' lily, Happy, Aspen, Donner, and Holly, please let's look at the numbers. For the first bag of 25, I have 5, Aspen 5, Donner 10, Holly 5. Holly, did you want 10 altogether if we can get a second bag of 25? In that case, Holly would get 5 more, I'd get 10 more, and Happy would also get 10. Holly, if you'd rather have just 5, Happy & I will split the second bag. Either way, we're good, and I'll see about getting a second bag.

Terp, you can have my 3 'Dimension' bulbs. You can also have 3 'Lake Michigan' if you want them... or Happy will take them, no problem either way.

Chantell, I think Happy had dibs on those 5 'Stargazer' bulbs. But I'm going to check with my brother and see how many he really wants... could be 5 or 10, could be 25 (in which case we'll get a second bag).

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
9:21 PM

Post #9402132

No biggie on Stargazer - it's growing in my yard some where already...LOL Esp if we end up order from the other place. Ahhhhh I can smell it now...life is good
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9402370

I'm happy to up any of my orders if needed to make a new bag -- but probably not to more than 10 or 15 of any one variety. Please give me a heads-up first. Chantell can have the Stargazers if she'd like -- I don't feel strongly.

I realized I can't do lilies on my awful front hill - they are deer candy, right?

What was that about Phlox David?

Is anyone considering bare root sources? Gotta love the prices when you can find them, and they are so easy to deal with.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2013 9:48 AM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9402386

critterologist wrote:

Terp, you can have my 3 'Dimension' bulbs. You can also have 3 'Lake Michigan' if you want them... or Happy will take them, no problem either way.

Thanks so much. I will take both! Wow. This was an unexpected mass order!! ha.

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9402393

I'm easy...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2013
1:50 PM

Post #9402817

Happy, I haven't ordered bare root plants from ADR before. I thought we might add a bag of something to our order, just to test the waters (and see what they consider to be a "#1 division"). Also, I don't want to sort out a big bare-root plant order in addition to the lilies. Phlox 'David' seemed like an easy "sell" for our group, especially as I can use 10 or so myself. The phlox are $1 apiece in a bag of 25 (possibly plus shipping, as I didn't ask Chris about plants, just bulbs).

Hmm, let's say phlox are available in groups of 3... if we "spread them around," we'll get a good number of reports. I'll take 10. (3 will go to Pittsburgh, 3 to Winston-Salem, I'll keep 4)
So we have 5 groups of 3 left... SSG, Chantell, Happy...

It's hard not to get excited all over again seeing their perennial page, but let's save that for next spring, and we'll see if we like their bare root plants as well as I liked their bulbs. I could probably be talked into getting 1 bag of something else if somebody was really dying to see what their hostas or DLs looked like... LOL

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9402882

What is so special about the Phlox--"David"?
Where can I see a picture of it? G.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9402962

Link to Phlox paniculata 'david' in Plant Files

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51621/

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9402975

I've heard good things re its fragrance, Gita!! I think Bluestone carried it???
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9402984

Gita, I have a serious powdery mildew problem, so I need a phlox that's super super resistant. I've read that David is one of the best varieties, and the white blooms are really pretty.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2013
4:02 PM

Post #9403001

I never noticed it being powerfully fragrant, but it has a sweetness about it... it's white, tough, and does all right even in part shade. As with all phlox, the butterflies love it. I figured if we were going to try just one of their phlox varieties, 'David' would be a good choice -- white goes with everything, and I know I can take any extras and give them to my MIL. :-)

SSG, if you want more than 3 to try, you're welcome to them. Just LMK.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9403006

Oh, 3's definitely plenty! :)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
4:07 PM

Post #9403016

Jill--

A bit off topic, but I thought this was important.
Tapla was asked what he thought off Polymer Crystals in soils. Here is what he said. I c/p it for everyone to read.
The last paragraph is downright scary!

I don't use them for 3 reasons. The first is, I generally want to reduce water retention in my soils so I need to water more often. Many growers are already using soils that support too much water retention to ensure plants have at least the opportunity to grow to their genetic potential within the limiting effects of other factors. Essentially that means if everything else was perfect, excessive water retention would be a significant limiting factor. Perched water, that is the soggy layer of soil at the bottom of the pot, limits root function and affects root health, so soils that minimize or eliminate perched water, or other grower practices that help to reduce the volume of perched water in soils, offer greater opportunity for plants to grow closer to their potential.

Second, the PAC gels commonly used can hold water very tightly, which means that though they absorb lots of water when available, they also tightly hold onto water at the opposite end of the cycle that would normally be available to plants.

Third, hydrogels as polymers are environmentally friendly, but depolymerization occurs very quickly. Nutrient salts (fertilizers)increase the rate of degradation, and it doesn't matter if the salts are derived from synthetic or organic sources. All nutrients plants normally take up through the roots are taken up as salts whether from organic or synthetic sources. When the acrylamide units break down, potassium acrylate and acrylamide are two by-products. Acrylamide is known to be a lethal neurotoxin and a carcinogen that is easily inhaled or absorbed through skin, and eventually the compound makes its way into the water supply. I think the risk is greater at repotting time than at potting time, so at a minimum you should wear rubber gloves and a mask when repotting plants in soils that contain PAC hydrogels.

Al
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9403083

I'm happy with whatever Davids you want to throw my way.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9403212

Gita, just about everything that goes into the garden can be controversial. Not all "hydrogels" are the same, and they break down differently also. For example, I wouldn't use the polymer inside disposable diapers in my garden. I've heard this information before but never seen it substantiated for polymer moisture crystals. According to Watersorb.org (my source for the crystals), "Watersorb super absorbent polymers will break down into nitrogen, carbon dioxide and water with no residual toxicity." If you're concerned, go to their website and contact them.

For the rest, I've found that in ordinary garden soil or potting mix, the crystals help with perched water and soggy soil by soaking up excess water. Plants I've unpotted have no hesitation about growing roots right into the crystals, and they seem to be able to use the stored water just fine.

I don't want to get into a debate with Tapla or anybody else. It's always a good idea to check out a product that's new to you. Draw your own conclusions, and use it, or not.

With the 'David' phlox, I'm happy if it takes 3 of them to "fill" a pot or planting hole... that's still $3 per plant. If you want to "grow them on" over the summer, even a small division should give you a nice gallon-size plant to set out in fall. And with any luck, these won't be puny. :-)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
7:05 PM

Post #9403256

I'm currently in a loving-those-phloxes mode, so count me in on any phlox that doesn't get mildew...

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
7:13 PM

Post #9403276

Happy, deer also like phlox. You may want to plant them where deer don't go.

I have been living in the current house for 5 years now, and last year was the first time deer left a few lily flowers for me. They seemed to eat the lily flower buds the day before they opened, as if they had been over to check the buds every day. They also ate the top of the phlox. Last year was also the first year the phlox got to keep the top long enough to produce flowers. Now I am buying quite a lot of lilies, and am determined to keep deer away from my garden this year. Well, at least I will try harder.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9403284

Phlox is for the back yard. My awful front hill only has plants that deer are supposed to dislike (I'm sure I made mistakes, but that was the plan). Only problem is the back is pretty shady, but phlox seems to do ok -- not spectacular, but enough to make us happy.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9405125

Jill has more going on here, if you're interested:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296051/
Marlene4
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2013
10:46 PM

Post #9405586

Greetings!
Jill I am keeping my eyelids up with toothpicks, but still having some difficulty reading all of the posts.
If Possible, I would like
Casa Blanca (2)
Starfighter (2)
and two of what ever anyone else would like but don't yet have enough interest.
Also, if need be I can switch my 2 "whatevers" for 2 David Phlox (Purple if possible) I will come to Frederick (a shorter distance for me than New Jersey:)
Cheers!
Marlene

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9405803

Jill--

Are you taking orders yet for the Phlox "David"?

You said they come 3 for $3--something? I would take the three of these.
Gita

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2013
7:23 AM

Post #9405825

We'd like to add:

3 Lake Michigan

if the numbers allow.

James (DGS) thought they were beautiful also.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2013
8:52 AM

Post #9405895

Oh, yes, speak right up if you want some 'David' phlox (which btw are white... I don't think they have the purple David, whatever it's called. They have 'Laura', but as SSG commented, I do think that one is mildew-prone. We'll go all out with different phlox varieties next spring if we like these... I just want some direct experience with their bare root plants before doing a group buy.

And speak right up if there are other varieties that interest you -- I know I'd jump right on any orienpet, and it wouldn't be hard to twist my arm with any pink-ish oriental lily, either.

PLEASE READ THIS
Those who ordered 5 of a kind... please let me know if it would be equally acceptable to you to have 3 of a kind (if we stick with one bag) or 6 of a kind (if we go to 2 bags of a variety).
I want people who are just finding this to be able to get what they want, also.

Even if a variety is posted at "0 available," let me know if it's on your wish list, because I can probably juggle the numbers to make it happen.

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9405897

critter -- I don't care what I get -- I'm easy any old way, including as to varieties I didn't ask for. no worries.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9405902

You can change my numbers. I'm also interested in the David Phlox. Thanks again for doing this. You're making my grandson's new garden very affordable.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9405907

READ THIS TOO!
I may add another vendor to this group buy. Bert (or "Bleek" as we know him) at Touch of Nature has a very nice offer going now.
See http://www.touchofnature.com/specials/spring.htm

We'll save some on shipping by ordering as a group, and I'm going to ask him if he can offer additional discounts for big quantities. His prices are pretty low already, so I don't know if there will be a lot of advantage to ordering together unless you just want one or two bags (or want to split a bag, but these are small quantities, like 2 or 4). I did post to ask him the sizes of these bulbs.

I like the double orientals! He's also getting in a lot of those new shorter/compact lilies for pot culture.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2013
9:05 AM

Post #9405910

OK... I'll catch up with numbers, suggestions, etc. later... right now, i have a Groundhog's Day Tea Party to set up!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9405918

Bleek is great.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2013
9:18 AM

Post #9405922

You can adjust my order as needed.
I have Garden Phlox David, I have had it for years and its a real nice plant. Got it in a co-op years ago as just a bareroot took off great and always looks good.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
10:05 AM

Post #9405953

You can adjust my order as needed too.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9405990

Jill, ADR has an extensive selection of astilbes. Astilbes do so well in the shade and the deer don't touch them. If it wouldn't add more confusion, I'd like to try one of the varieties bare root just to test it out - if the bare root does well, this will be a cheaper way for me to get large quantities of astilbes in the future. The one that I was planning to get at the local nursery this year for my new "turtle" garden was Ostrich Plume. I think ADR has it in quantities of 25. I'd actually take all 25 if no one else is interested. What I was planning for the "turtle" garden was mass plantings (30-50, maybe even 75) of things like Ostrich Fern, Chelone, Astilbe Ostrich Plume, Astilbe Bridal Veil (or another white), and two or three other things that I'm still pondering on. Want to keep the varieties there few but en masse...
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
10:42 AM

Post #9405995

Jill, I'd be okay with either 5 or 6, rather than 3.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
2:11 PM

Post #9406209

Aspenhill -- I've grown lots of astilbe bareroot before, and they do great.

Jill -- what is the price for a lot of 25 astilbe? I might borrow aspenhill's idea...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
3:34 PM

Post #9406290

Happy and Aspenhill et al. I've been looking at this site, too, especially their "Landscape Plugs" and Native Plants. They are wholesale growers for environmental remediation and sustainability. They are in PA. North Creek Nursery. For future reference at least. lol looks like some swaths in MAF gardens soon!

Landscape Plugs™

NEW SIZE! Learn more about the LP50 plug here.

Our best low-maintenance native perennials and grasses are available in plugs designed to be planted directly in the ground. We offer a wide selection of Eastern US natives and their cultivars selected for beauty and durability. Two sizes are available for direct planting: deep LP50 plugs are 5 inches deep by 2 inches square and come 50 to a standard nursery tray. Many shallow-rooted plants are available in flats of 32 (3" by 2.5" square) and are also suited to planting in the ground. Our Landscape Plugs™ offer an exciting alternative for quick establishment of plants in landscapes and containers.

Plant Selection
We are very selective in our choices for the Landscape Plugs™ program so that your planting gets off to a great start. All plants in our plug program are native to the midatlantic states, well suited to this climate and tolerant of drought and extreme temperature fluctuations. Robust root systems make for quick establishment and less initial watering. Plants purchased in spring are vernalized and ready to grow.

Why Use Landscape Plugs™?

* Plants usually reach flowering size in first season and have a high transplant success rate.
* Quicker and more reliable than seed, with erosion control starting in weeks rather than months.
* LP50 plugs have deep (5") roots that establish quickly.
* Compact size is easy to transport - a real cost saver.
* Plants are chosen for wide adaptability and ease of transplanting and establishment.
* Excellent choices for wildlife habitat development, providing food & shelter for many species.
* Plugs come in flats made of 100% recycled plastic and are #6 recyclable.

http://www.northcreeknurseries.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plugs.landscapeplugs&alphaKey=M-O&whichName=genus&showIntro=0
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2013
3:44 PM

Post #9406295

Bareroot astilbe do well, yes... but again, I'd rather test the waters with 1 or 2 bags this year and get more next year if we like their idea of a "#1 division."

Astilbe 'Ostrich' and many of their varieties are $26 for a bag of 25, essentially $1 each plus a little extra (plus 15% if they decide we can't have free shipping on them also, which I think is unlikely but you never know). The compact varieties and the "visions" series are a little more, but still less than $2 each.

Let's try to be restrained though and focus on the lilies this year... Next year, if we're as happy as we hope to be, we'll buy out their supply of bare root perennials! LOL

Who is interested in the lilies from Bleek? LMK (here or Dmail) approximately how large you think your order might be... when I know some numbers I can ask him if he can give us an even better deal on a bigger order.

After seeing Bleek's selection, I'm thinking that maybe we could just order from ADR and from Touch of Nature this spring, then put together a fall order for those premium bulbs from B&D. I can't resist those "bargain bulbs," and I'm not sure I can find enough spots to put them all in this spring as it is, more so if I order some big B&D bulbs also.

We can pass the B&D catalog around at the spring swap -- they're sending me one, and they'll send you one too if you ask on their site. Then this fall, we can be planting some fat B&D lilies along with lots and lots of premium daffodils from ADR!

What do you think?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2013
3:58 PM

Post #9406305

Coleup, I did a quick browse on the North Creek site... I did notice that they're "wholesale to the trade only," and I don't know if they'll make an exception for a group order from us the way ADR is doing. (Some places insist on a tax ID # to verify your status as a retailer.) Or maybe you have an "in" through places you've worked in the past?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9406339

lol Critter, I do have a favor or two I could call in on the to wholesale sales thing...it was the $300.00 minimum for initial order that slowed me (This is not at all unusual in the trade by the way) but I figure sooner or later one or more of us is going to go "hobby/business" and we'll even have our own little CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) but one for bulbs, plants, bushes, trees and flowers, from seed to plug, cuttings, bareroot, or whatever! (Remind me to tell you all about The Plant Bus that lives in my back yard)

50 astillbes is just scratching the surface if we all put our dream lists together! Anyhow, I like the Landscape Plug as it can be more forgiving to a gardener who is a little more casual and doesn't have the planting or heeling in areas totally ready when plants arrive. I'm thinking this size plug will hold for awhile and be more forgiving than bareroot or small plugs even though cost might be more. Hey, North Creek will even "custom grow"

Not saying we should or shouldn't do, but didn't want the idea and info to remain with just me. Thanks for not minding me interjecting this here,

Judy
(formerly known as "J and the Beanstalk Plant Bus", visiting a spot near you soon.)

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9406426

Coleup, thanks for posting that link. The landscape plug sounds like it would work well for the large areas I envision planting, and with my track record the more forgiving the better. When you have lots of acreage, three to five plants at a time looks pretty forlorn in all that space. I'm in the process of getting the federal tax id number and VA business license set up for Mike for his "sole proprietor" of the water/sewer line repair subcontractor work that he is doing for a small company. It also includes landscape repair work, so I'll be able to use his business creds for wholesale landscaping purchases. I've been agonizing over how to get the quantities of my dreams without paying $8.00 - $11.00 for the perennials at the local nurseries. At those prices it is just a pipe dream, but if wholesale prices for bare root and plugs are a fraction of that cost, the dream may be able to happen sooner rather than later. North Creek had a lot of selections that would be of interest to me. They don't list any prices though, so I have no idea what the costs would be. Oh, the wheels are spinning...

Jill, sounds like a good idea to hold up on the B&D lillies. I took a look at the Touch of Nature link, and saw some that weren't available with ADR that I'd like to get. As far as the bare root perennials, I also agree that we should just try a few bags to test the waters this spring and if we have good luck, do something on a larger scale next year. With that being said, do you want to do 1 or 2 bags of Astilbe 'Ostrich' and 1 or 2 bags of Phlox 'David', or just stick with the Phlox 'David'? You know me, I'm easy with whatever...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9406503

We can certainly "test" the astilbe as well, since that seems to be another perennial a lot of us would probably want next year. So far, I think we're getting 1 bag of David (I'll check the numbers later) and 1 bag of 'Ostrich' (since Aspen said she'd take a bunch of them if they didn't "sell" with everybody else... personally, they're my least favorite variety! No clue why, as I usually love arching stems/blooms. But I'll still get 'em for you. I'm a good enabler.). Happy, do you want some of those 'Ostrich', or are you drooling over a different variety? For $1 or so apiece, I'm thinking they could be pretty scrappy little plugs and we'd still be reasonably content. I just want to see if we're going to be overjoyed! (I know I was overjoyed by the daffs I ordered in fall of 2011.)

I'm also thinking that if we wait until fall for the B&D order (we can start pre-ordering pretty soon, I think), we can get more folks on board and put together a much larger order... and their shipping "maxes out" for orders $250 and above, so the more we order the cheaper shipping will be per bulb. Make sense?

Roses, would you be OK with that? Or do you want to do a small spring order as well, so we can compare oranges to oranges in terms of bulb size / quality and decide if we want the Cadillac bulbs at Cadillac prices. :-)

I'll let y'all know what I hear from Bleek on the size of his bulbs. The "3 to 5 blooms per stem" on most of his bulb descriptions may be a clue that they are more in the 12-14 cm, maybe 14 to 16 cm range. Still a good deal at those prices. :-)

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
9:28 PM

Post #9406551

On first look at the Bleek page, the two that struck my fancy were Oriental Rose Lily Fabiola (double rose pink flowers) and Rubrum Uchida (old fashioned recurved petals like my fave Black Beauty).

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2013
9:49 PM

Post #9406557

I'm for waiting til fall for B&D and looking at Bert's Lilies now.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
10:31 PM

Post #9406563

Oooh, Coleup, there's so much I want from that North Creek site... Carex grasses do so well in my clay that I'd planned on getting at least 10-15 of them this year. I didn't know where I could get them cheaply.

And those Brandywine hellebores!

Is the consensus that we won't be ordering from them this year?

Jill, I'm not interested in any more lilies, but I'd be interested in getting 3 astilbe bareroots, if you end up ordering them.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9406793

Happy, since you mentioned possibly ordering up to 25 astilbe, as did Aspen, we can add 2 bags of astilbe to our order. Let us know which one you'd like and how many you'd like for sure (12?). Then anybody who wants a couple (like SSG) can let me know which variety they'd prefer.

SSG, keep an eye on the Santa Rosa sales also. I don't know specifically about Carex, but I know they have a LOT of grasses.

With North Creek, check their "availability list." They don't have everything on their site ready to go all the time... Currently, it's a relatively short list (bet they're sold out of a lot). Although since they'll "custom grow," we could put together an order far enough in advance that we could get what we want. I don't know how far ahead that would be, but they could tell us.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2013
9:09 AM

Post #9406889

Jill -- you said you weren't especially fond of the Ostridge Astilbe. Which do you especially like? Which have better foliage, for year-round interest? I have a bunch of Astilbe and they mostly grow very well, but to be honest may are still in pots, and they get moved around so much that I haven't really compared one to the next to develop a favorite. When I bought them, I hadn't understood how big the differences between different species could be. So I ordered some that were more like groundcovers (I don't recall the names right now -- I could just my notes but I'm feeling lazy) , and some that were tall and didn't spread. I'm older now, but not much wiser.

I do have a deep red one I'm very fond of -- I need to figure out which that was.

Are any tougher in the face of drought? I know they all like a lot of water...
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9406901

Coleup -- do you have any idea what the Northcreek prices are, if they were to accept us as a wholesale purchaser?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9407193

Well, you know Joyanna & me... we'd probably have to try any astilbe that was pink or purple. I did put quite a few in the past couple of years, so I'd be happy to wait until next year and then hopefully start filling in around some new little shrubs & other plants that I'm putting up into that little fence row of trees along the back. I can't undertake too much planting in one season... and I've already got dozens of potted irises and now a bunch of lilies coming, plus some misc. perennials from Santa Rosa that I couldn't resist. Also, I think this will be the spring to replace a couple of fruit trees, maybe add some light-shade varieties like pawpaw and gooseberry... so I can't add "interplant the new part-shade garden area" to the list!

I do like the short astilbe.. they're a different species, which of course I can't quite remember, but I know 'Sprite' is one variety. Their foliage is just so shiny & perfect, very full & compact. Whether you want short or tall, pink or white, is just a matter of personal preference and where you're thinking of putting them. I really love them all! (except 'Ostrich'. but I will order it anyway!)
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2013
2:37 PM

Post #9407255

Happy, no details on North Creek prices that I can access, May call them on Mon or Tues. One of their Lanscape Arch/Designers. Claudia White, worked with Oehme in Germany and possibly here, so interesting connection for those tough as nails plants for your New American Garden hillside plant trials

They are local enough to visit and any orders can be picked up in Delaware (Oxford) rather than shipped Kinda 'on the way' to Jan's house and Spring Swap mid-May. Their company also does lots of educational outreach like the Philly Flower Show according to the Calendar tab on their home page.

Again, Once we meet the initial order threshold of $300 wholesale, orders from then on could be what ever volume or size suits our yardscaping dreams du jour. As we get more info we can start a separate thread for discussing any action plans, etc. I remain excited by the possibilities.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2013
4:52 PM

Post #9407376

North Creek availability & prices... click on "availability", a link in the green left hand column on their home page... and you will get to this page: http://www.northcreeknurseries.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/home.availability/index.htm

You should be able to open any of the PDF files, updated in Jan. 2013.

Or am I seeing something that you can't get to??

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9407432

It opened for me, Jill.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2013
6:03 PM

Post #9407436

It opened for me, Jill, I did, however, find the "available" button right on the page that opened. If you scroll down a little you'll see it.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2013
6:26 PM

Post #9407463

I guess I didn't see the Availability tab when I was looking at their site the other night, so now I see prices - good to know.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2013
6:56 PM

Post #9407485

I would like to ask that somebody open a separate thread for it if we're going to continue discussing a spring or fall group buy from North Creek. A little off-topic is fine, but I don't want this thread to get too confusing for anybody just coming into the lily discussion.

From Bleek's sale, these are the ones that jumped out at me.
Oriental 'Hotline' (that pink picotee edge reminds me of the edge on 'Eyeliner'!)
Oriental Double 'Magic Star'
Oriental Double 'Pink Fabiola'
OT hybrid 'Robina'
Lily rubrum 'Black Beauty'
Lily rubrum 'Uchida' (B&D lists this one as a species lily, not a rubrum, but says it's easy)
-- Bleek is selling this one in sets of 2. I like to plant in 3's... anybody else want 1 1/2 sets?
Lily Tiger 'Pink' -- I'd probably order 3 sets of this one but only really want 9 (for 3 groups of 3), so LMK if anybody else wants 3

And back to ADR's list... anybody interested in OT 'Candy Club' or OT 'Nymph'?

I think I have a soft spot for OT 'Candy Club' because I looked it up in PF and saw that our LadyG grew it. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/175503/

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2013
3:46 AM

Post #9407669

Jill, I'd take some candy cub.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9407929

Jill, I can take 1 1/2 sets of Uchida. I'd like to have 2 sets (6 bulbs) of Black Beauty too. I missed ordering Dimensions from the ADR list, but would like to get 3 - 5 from Bleek's. Thanks.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2013
12:54 PM

Post #9408304

Jill, I am modifying the quantity in my order of Bleek's lilies. Here they are all together:

Uchida 1 1/2 sets (3 bulbs)
Black Beauty 2 sets (6 bulbs)
Cona’dOr 3 sets (9 bulbs)
Startgazer 3 sets (9 bulbs)
Dimension 2 sets (10 bulbs)

Thanks.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9408308

OK, Sally-Donner, one way or another we'll get you some 'Dimension'. And thanks for sharing the 'Uchida' bags with me. I do like planting in odd numbers!

Bleek's sale does give us an easy way to add "just 3 more" without adding another bag of 25 from ADR. I'll sit down and catch up and juggle numbers this evening. I think I might need a spreadsheet after all, LOL.

OT 'Candy Club' will be officially added to our list from ADR (we'll get a little closer to 25 before I place the order for it). It's a pretty one and gets great reviews for substance (thick sturdy petals)... I think it has 'Silk Road' in its genes, so when the description says "fragrant" I think they might mean "like wow." :-)

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9408320

I actually added more to my order for a garden friend who is a DG member recruited by me :-). He hasn't had much time to post anything and I volunteered to order for him :-). I will let him know that Candy Club is also available to see if he is interested in getting any.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9408785

Jill please sign me up for 3 of the Candy Club

This message was edited Feb 4, 2013 10:50 PM

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2013
5:48 AM

Post #9408989

Jill, please add 5 Candy Club for me. Thanks.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2013
8:55 PM

Post #9409849

OK, I think I've caught up with many edits to the first post!

Donner, do you have a preference one way or another for bulbs that are available from both ADR and Bleek? For instance, I think we might be able to "fill" a second bag of 25 'Stargazer' from ADR, or you (and Chantell if she wants a few) can order them from Bleek. I'm less sure that we could "fill" a second bag of OT 'Conca d'Or', but we could try!

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013
3:40 AM

Post #9409918

Jill, I have no preference either way.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9410178

Jill, sorry about all the changes. Can you please add another 1 set (5 bulbs) of Dimension for me? Thanks.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9410224

Jill,
On the ADR order, I'll add 5 of Candy Club (it looks like there are 7 left).

On the bleek order:
Fabiola - 3 sets (2 in each set = 6)
Rubrum Uchida - 5 sets (2 in each set = 10)
then add
Tiger Pink - 1 set (4 in each set = 4)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2013
2:38 PM

Post #9410494

Donner, no worries about changes or additions. You're down for 3 sets (15 bulbs) from Bleek at this point. I still don't know his bulb sizes; I'll try emailing him.

Got your additions, too, Aspen/Terri. :-)

Are we pretty much done with this round of ordering from ADR? Or are there still varieties you're thinking of adding, or new people who'd like to get "in" on this? I want to have the numbers evened up by Friday or for sure by next Monday, so I can order additional bags from them Tuesday 2/12.

This is "officially" the last day to nominate more varieties from ADR for inclusion in this group buy (depending on interest), but if we have new people just seeing this... well, I'm flexible.

From Bleek, is anybody else looking at Oriental Double 'Magic Star'? It's another that comes 2 to a bag, and I'd like to split 3 bags with somebody so we can each have 3 bulbs to plant. But they'd be 3 for $9, not the cheapest thing going. But but but they look like double Stargazers!!

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013
3:18 PM

Post #9410530

Jill -- you can put me down for anything, including the Oriental Double Magic Star.

If anyone wants more Casa Blanca, I'd be delighted to order more to get up to 25. But I doubt that'll happen. I already have some planted, so this is a want, not a need...

I haven't had time to peruse Bleek's listings, so if there are any "don't miss this one" in there, and you think of it, please order for me!

If Aspenhill doesn't want all 25 of the astilbe, I'll take some. I'm happy either way. It sounds as if Aspen wants a big drift, so she should definitely take them all if that is what she wants.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2013
3:42 PM

Post #9410553

Happy, you're down for 5 Stargazers. Donner, you wanted 5 to 10 and are now down for 6 (LMK if that's not OK & I'll rejuggle). Chantell, I bumped you up 1 bulb to 6 Stargazers also.

Happy, I did put you down for 1 set of 'Hot Line' oriental lily, because you ordered 5 'Deep Impact'... I think 'Hot Line' (white, pink edge) pretty much has the reverse coloring of 'Deep Impact' (pink-red, white edge), and I'm betting they'll look great together.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9410581

Happy, my apologies... turned out that Elodie & Deep Impact were gone before you posted for them. I'll see if we can juggle numbers when we get to the "juggling" point and get you 3 bulbs.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9410586

No worries at all. Nothing I need in the least. I'm going to have way more than I'll want to plant as it is!!!! Big hug and a kiss for all your time and effort to make this work!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2013
8:53 PM

Post #9410799

Aspen/Terri and Holly, on 'Elodie' and 'Deep Impact', you are now down for 3 bulbs instead of 5. But you have "dibs" on 5 if you want them, as long as you let me know by the weekend. Thanks!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2013
9:17 PM

Post #9410810

Lily Oriental Trumpet Hybrid Conca d'Or
Lily Rubrum Black Beauty
Lily Trumpet Regale

Are any of the above on 'the list' for Touch of Nature?

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2013
3:47 AM

Post #9410884

Jill, if somebody needs a few more Elodie, feel free to reduce my quantity to 3.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2013
5:33 AM

Post #9410939

3 or 5 doesn't matter to me. Will take either.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9411293

PLEASE READ -- sizing of bulbs from Touch of Nature and shipping time

I asked Bert how big the bulbs would be in his sale. He responded "Depending on the type, they vary from 10-12cm to 20-22cm"
I asked which were the huge ones?!? He said, "usually the trumpets and some years the Black Beauty."
I'm guessing the Asiatics (especially ones like Dimension that are priced at 5 bulbs per) are at the smaller end of the range.

He will ship these to me the week of March 18. So if possible, please pick them up ASAP from me in Frederick. I will "hold" them in the basement... Depending on the number, I may also be able to hold some of them in a small refrigerator (one without fruits or veggies in it)... I will do my best, but some may break dormancy. They will still be OK unless they break off during transport or planting (that single sprout is "it" for the bulb, although you can still propagate it by scaling). Again, I'll be as careful as I can, and sprouted and/or broken-tip bulbs will be distributed as evenly as possible between orders picked up at the swap in May.

Because of the shipping date, if we start getting enough interest in a variety that's also listed on ADR, I'd rather see if we can add a 25 bulb bag from ADR, because they will hold them in cold storage for us until just before the swap. (I did ask Bert about it, and he does not have cold storage at the location where these bulbs will arrive.)

So, I think we might consider adding a second bag from ADR of Asiatic hybrid lily Dimension and OT hybrid lily 'Conca d'Or'. Let me know if you're interested in ordering those (or adding to your order).

Thanks! :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9411294

Chantell,

L. rubrum 'Black Lily' (3/$4.20) and Trumpet Lily 'Regale' (3/$3.90) are both on Bleek's sale.

OT hybrid 'Conca d'Or' is available on both Bleek's sale and ADR, and I think we might have enough interest to order a second bag from ADR (see above post).

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9411343

Jill,
With the kitchen reno, I moved the old kitchen fridge to the basement (already had extra fridge storage in the garage). It is sitting empty and can easily accomodate any bulbs that may need to be held over until the spring swap. We'll figure it out when the bulbs come in and we start sorting...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9411356

Thank you, Terri! That's a relief. I hadn't realized just how early Bert was shipping until I looked again last night. :-)

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9411369

Jill, if you move Dimension from Bleek's to ADR, I will take 15 or even a few more.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9411964

Donner, I'll add a second bag of 'Dimension' to our ADR order, then. I've got the ADR bulbs on a spreadsheet now and will put in the numbers for Bleek's sale soon.

If you haven't taken a look at Bleek's bulbs yet, please do so over the weekend, and let me know what you want. We'll do a second phase of ordering from him before he ships, but HE EXPECTS TO START RUNNING OUT OF THINGS SOON.

:-)

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
11:52 AM

Post #9412212

Aspen-- I'm not sure regular refrigeration will work. I tried saving lily bulbs in the fridge once, and it didn't work well. Some bulbs I left outside by mistake fared much better.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9412222

I'm much better at designing a garden than knowing how to care for the plants LOL. In that arena, I'm very much a novice and soak in whatever advice I get here on DG, especially from Jill, Sally, Gita, Judy, etc... For the lilly bulbs, I'll let Jill figure out what needs to be done with them before the spring swap. In one of the posts, she was starting to worry that the Bleek bulbs would be shipped too soon and would need refridgerator space. Voila, I have an extra fridge if she thinks it is needed. Maybe refridgeration is good for short-term, but not good forlong-term, i.e. getting them to last more than a season without planting?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
5:55 PM

Post #9412536

I may be totally off here--but maybe the bulbs would be Ok in a fridge if they were potted up?

I think also a certain temperature is important. Probably a bit warmed than we usually keep fridges at.
Call a Wholesale Nursery near you and ask,,,a grower,,,
All the bulbs they sell at Easter and Mothers Day have been forced to bloom.
G.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9412543

The bulbs would be ok in the garage if they were potted up, as long as the garage is not too warm. It would be like continuing to be chilled in the ground.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2013
9:44 PM

Post #9412738

Right. The main trick is to keep them from breaking dormancy, and of course you don't want to freeze them either. I know I can ask Bleek for advice if my basement/garage starts getting warmer than is ideal while I'm holding them. Since we're not getting so many bulbs from him, I could also try to pot up those that can't be picked up earlier if they start sprouting, but I don't want to promise that I'll be able to do that... that's pretty much a last resort, LOL.

I'd say if you want more than a few, don't worry about spending a little more for shipping... get Touch of Nature to ship them directly to you in mid-March instead of joining the group order. If you just want to try a few, they're inexpensive enough to be worth the risk of my trying to "hold" them here until May.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
10:06 PM

Post #9412743

Jill - I need to look at what I've ordered as I'm interested in those others as well. I will post tomorrow night after I've peeked at everything...thanks for all of your hard work!!

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2013
4:04 AM

Post #9412791

I'll take the chance with mine being refrigerated. He shipped me boxes early last year and they held up fine in my refrigerator for a long time.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9413007

Jill, if you move some of the orders from Bleek's to ADR, I would like to have the following quantities:

Cona’dOr 10
Startgazer 10
Dimension 15

The Cona’dOr and Startgazer quantities here are additions to my original ADR numbers that you have already ordered.
Marlene4
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9413050

Greetings Jill,
Thank you so much for organizing this sale!
I know that this request is late.
I am hoping for Casa Blanca, Stargazer, (I'll be ok with Starfighter).
Also, I must admit that reading all of these posts is proving daunting for me. So, if there areother lilies which others would like but you need a few more to make the lot, I'm ok with purchasing whichever lily is needed to round it out the order.
I would like 5 of each, but will take fewer if need be.
Thank You Again Jill,
Cheers!
Marlene
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2013
1:11 PM

Post #9413287

Donner, I'll add second bags for those to our ADR order and we'll see how that goes. I think we'll be close enough; will check with Theresa to see if they want a few.

Marlene, I'll juggle numbers and see what happens. No need to read all the posts... I'm updating the availability lists at the top as we go along, and you can always ask for a lily on the list and I'll see what I can do.

I'll be back in a moment with a list of remaining bulbs... maybe... I hear the kids returning from the park
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9413318

Remaining as of 9 February 2013

7 Asiatic ‘Dimension’
5 Tiny Oriental ‘After Eight’
10 Oriental ‘Stargazer’
2 OT ‘Bonbini’
15 OT ‘Conca d’Or’ (can also get this one from ToN, so don't need to "sell" 15 to place an order)
4 OT ‘Satisfaction’
1 OT ‘Candy Club’
3 Oriental Double 'Magic Star' (from Bleek, $3 per bulb + shipping but WOW)
Up to 7 Phlox ‘David’
Up to 7 Astilbe ‘Ostrich’

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
2:21 PM

Post #9413373

Jill--if no one else really wants the Phlox "David", I can take two more.
You had me down for three--right? So that will be five then.

I have phlox growing in 3 different places. I will just mix the white ones in.

Thanks, Gita

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
7:15 PM

Post #9413631

Jill - unless I'm wrong the following are my totals as of now:
Casa Blanca 6
Star Gazer 5 + 5 (?)
Satisfaction 5
Candy Club 3

I don't 'need' that second group of 5 Star Gazers - but can always share with my sis or no one else was ISO of them. They do smell incredible!! Matter-a-fact...anyone wanting Star Gazer can take as many from my # as they want since I'd really like to get 3 each of Lily Oriental Trumpet Hybrid Conca d'Or, Lily Rubrum Black Beauty, and Lily Trumpet Regale

If no one else raises their hand for that last Candy Club - I'll take her.

Let me know what works best for the totals, please and thank you.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2013
9:56 PM

Post #9413797

Chantell, I've got you down for 10 'Stargazer' but we can probably "sell off" some to somebody else before the spring swap if you want fewer. My SIL wanted to try a few OT's along with her requested Stargazers, so I snagged the 'Candy Club' for her if that's OK.

Chantell, you said you wanted "3 each of Lily Oriental Trumpet Hybrid Conca d'Or, Lily Rubrum Black Beauty, and Lily Trumpet Regale" -- are those numbers just a thought or would you like to definitely add them

Also, my nieces wanted the brightest pink Oriental lily we could find, so I suggested 'Acapulco'. I've grown it before, and it's really a hot hot pink, a real standout color. It's a little shorter than most, which makes it easier to "place" in the garden. My SIL wants some to put around a little redbud tree with some daylilies. I'm taking 12 and could probably take more, but please let me know if you want to have a few.

*** NEW ADDITION ***

Oriental Lily 'Acapulco' -- 13 available, hot pink oriental, my recollection is 24-30", great fragrance, PF comments indicate it may be one of the tougher oriental lily varieties, too
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2013
10:24 PM

Post #9413808

I placed our initial order with ToN just now. We can about double it without having our shipping charge increase, looks like... so as we order more, the shipping charge per bulb will drop!

Gita, if you want 2 more 'David' phlox (total of 5), you are welcome to them, but they will find homes either way, so don't order more than you really want.

Same goes for anybody else ordering to make up numbers... order what you want, but please don't feel "pushed" to order extras. I think we can add on pretty much everything we're considering at this point, and I'll bet the "extra" 50 or so bulbs will find willing homes before May.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2013
3:33 AM

Post #9413859

Jill--I will take 5 of the phlox.
Aina has become such a budding gardener that i can give her the extra two.
Thanks--Gita

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2013
4:11 AM

Post #9413868

I'll take 3 Acapulco, Jill.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2013
10:56 AM

Post #9414213

I'll put you down for 5 'David' then, Gita.

Thanks, Roses! I'm pretty sure I can put Happy & Aspen & maybe Holly down for a few 'Acapulco' also, so it should be a "go." (That will make up for the ones I reduced from 5 to 3 bulbs for them.)

My brother's family just headed out the door, so I'll see if I can get caught up & be ready to place an addition to our ADR order tomorrow.

I think we have enough interest in 'Conca d'Or' to go ahead with a second bag, since we had a lot of people ordering from the first bag. I can juggle the numbers (3 more for me, 1 more for Donner & for Holly, 2 more for Happy) to leave us with 5. I know somebody will come along and want the last few bulbs between now & delivery time.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2013
11:21 AM

Post #9414239

No worries re Star Gazer and perfectly fine re Candy Club.
Yes to 3 each of those 3.
If avail 3 of the Acapulco
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2013
1:26 PM

Post #9414407

Chantell, I'll add the 'Regale' to our ToN order...

I'll place a follow-up order with TOUCH OF NATURE Tuesday morning (2/12).
Anything else you want from Bert, just let me know today or tomorrow please (remember, that's mid-March delivery -- so either early pick-up or refrigeration). For bulbs where there are 4 to a pack or 2 to a pack, let me know if you'd rather have a different number if available, and we'll see if anybody else wants a few so it works out. I'm "easy" when it comes to lilies, and I'm not the only one... plus, my SIL wouldn't mind a few more "random" ones. :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2013
5:32 PM

Post #9414683

OK, Roses! Lilies were one of the first things I planted out back... slowly petered out, but I'm hoping I can do better by them this time (soil is better now, too). I really loved the hot pink "punch" of Acapulco.

Donner, I currently have you down for 5 + 10 on both the Stargazer and Conca d'Or (15 of each of those) and 15 'Dimension' also. If I have that wrong, LMK. I know you were ordering for you and for a friend; wanted to be sure you both have what you want.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9414712

Jill, the quantities are correct.. Yes, 15 of each of those 3 varieties. Thanks

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
5:18 PM

Post #9415995

Jill - here's my order - I think it's correct...

Previously requested:
Casa Blanca 6
Star Gazer 5 + 5 (?)
Satisfaction 5
Candy Club 3
Regale 3

Am I added to 2nd bag of these?
Conca d'O 3

Would like these added - please and thank you. :-)
Lily Oriental Trumpet Hybrid Red Dutch 3
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2013
7:51 PM

Post #9416160

Got it. Yes, I counted you in on the 2nd ADR bag of Conca d'Oro, placed our follow-up order with them today. I managed to forget the 'Regale' in our initial order from ToN (but i made a note! LOL)... I'll add 1 pack of it and a pack of the Red Dutch for you tomorrow.

Anybody else need anything from Bert's lily sale? http://www.touchofnature.com/specials/spring.htm

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2013
8:42 PM

Post #9416217

When I grow up I'd like to have 1/2 of your organizational skills, Jill!!! I stand in awe...thank you
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9416476

LOL... it's just that I've been "in" on a bunch of the old DG co-ops and other group buys, and I've assisted with spreadsheets more than once... so it makes sense in my head, anyway. Whether or not it makes sense on the thread... well, I'm counting on y'all to ask questions if anything isn't clear!

*** Please read this re. group buys ***

Speaking of making things clear... We do all share the risk on this sort of purchase. While I have trust in our suppliers, if they are kidnapped by aliens who irradiate all the lily bulbs and then charge my credit card, and if I am unable to recover the funds (or the glowing purple bulbs), everybody is still responsible for paying me for what they ordered. If I were a retailer, that wouldn't be the case, because my mark-up from other orders would (hopefully) cover me for losses. When I do a group buy, I'm not out to make anything from it. It's just a great way for me & a lot of others to get more for our buck.

On the ADR bulbs, it is true that using an average price per bulb means the lower-priced bulbs are marked up a little and the higher priced ones are discounted a little... but I think the benefit of making the math easy makes up for the possibility that you might pay a little more than if I priced all bulbs individually.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
7:14 PM

Post #9417207

Always good to remind folks of the 'disclaimer.' Course you know me...I'm hoping you'll be one of the ones enjoying the higher priced bulbs given the amount of time you put into these not to mention using your credit card initially.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2013
8:50 PM

Post #9417287

The average price of my bulbs will probably work out pretty well to the average price per bulb across the order... I don't seem to be able to resist any of them! LOL

Jim about swallowed his teeth when he saw the PayPal charge, until he remembered I'd been talking about a GROUP purchase.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2013
4:11 AM

Post #9417410

Very funny! Our guys never know what to expect next from this gardening thing.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9417614

I'm quite out of the loop, but it looks as if I order 17 Acapulco and 10 more Stargazer that'd move things along. And I'm always happy to get more Casa Blanca -- I thought I noticed a push for more.

And let me know if you want me to finish up any other lots. All things considered, I'd prefer shortish (so they don't fall over), perennializing and fragrant

This message was edited Feb 13, 2013 11:08 AM

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2013
11:35 AM

Post #9417844

I'm happy to say that none of mine have ever fallen over. Wonder why.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2013
11:50 AM

Post #9417860

The newer lilies are being bred for stout stems as well as bigger flowers with substantial petals. Lilies also have contractile roots... if they aren't as deep as they'd like, they'll pull their own bulbs down in a season or two. That helps them stay upright.

Don't worry too much right now about getting the lilies "zeroed out," as I'm sure I can "sell off" a few extras between now & the spring swap. If there are ones you want, please speak up for them, though!

An exception is 'Conca d'Or', as we still have about a dozen unclaimed in that second bag. I wasn't sweating that, though, as I figured I could probably "sell" a few more to those who had already ordered some (maybe 3 each to Roses, Holly, Donner, Happy) *if* they were still unsold by the end of April.

Happy, you got 7 Stargazer and 4 Acupulco, bringing us to zero remaining on both of those. Let me know how many 'Ostrich' astilbe you want (you may have as many as 10).

I just updated the availability list at the top so it agrees with my spreadsheet. I'll post a list below of what's remaining... and again, we can likely juggle numbers to get you 1 or even 3 more of something that's caught your eye. We're all friends; we share!

I want to thank everybody for being so flexible and "easy" about this -- that's what makes this group buy fun to run!

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2013
11:58 AM

Post #9417866

OK, here are my numbers for each variety. I bumped numbers around a little for "flexible" people (from 5 to 3, or from 5 to 6), but I don't think I've got anybody spending more than they'd figured. Varieties with bulbs remaining are italicized.

I know everybody would like a list of what THEY have ordered and a total... that's coming from my "real" spreadsheet, promise! If I just can't get it out before the swap (and I'll try), then we'll just have to do check or PayPal, which we can arrange after you get your "invoice." :-)

(Now I have to call Sears again and yell at them for replacing our new, dented water heater with a new, incorrect model. 3 technician calls and counting!)

ASIATIC HYBRIDS

(25/ 0) 'Elodie' 12/14 cm bulbs
3 Critter., 3 Roses., 3 Aspen., 3 Holly., 5 Donner, 5 SSG, 3 Happy

(25/ 0) 'Dimension' 12/14 cm bulbs, deep velvety ruby-red (on initial order)
3 Terp, 5 Holly, 5 SSG, 5 Aspen, 2 Gita, 5 Roses

(25/ 7) 'Dimension' second bag of 25 (ordered Feb 11)
15 Donner, 3 Critter

(25/ 0) 'Deep Impact' : 16/18 cm bulbs, red-pink with thin bright white edge (on initial order)
6 critter, 3 aspen, 3 Holly, 5 Donner, 5 SSG, 3 Happy,

(25/ 0 ) 'Sorbonne' : 14/16 cm bulbs, pink-lavender with thin white edge, seems to be a favorite pink in reviews (on initial order)
6 Critter, 3 Aspen, 5 Holly, 5 Donner, 3 Terp, 3 Happy

(25/ 0) 'Lake Michigan' : 16/18 cm bulbs,white bloom blushing to magenta on tips (on initial order)
6 Critter, 3 Aspen, 2 Gita, 5 Donner, 3 Terp, 3 Happy, 3 Roses

(50/ 5) Tiny Oriental 'After Eight' : FIVE REMAINING looks like a mini Star Gazer (25 ordered initially, 25 more ordered Feb 11)
15 Critter, 5 Aspen, 10 Donner, 5 Holly, 10 Happy.

(25/ 0) Casa Blanca' : 16/18 cm bulbs, white, an extra-fragrant classic ((on initial order)
6 Chantell, 5 Donner, 5 Sos07, 3 Terp, 3 Happy, 3 Marlene

(25/ 0) 'Stargazer'' : 16/18 cm bulbs, white & pink & cranberry, an extra-fragrant classic (on initial order)
(15) Critter, 5 Donner, 5 Happy,

(25/ 0) 'Stargazer'' 2nd bag ordered Feb. 11
5 (to 10) Chantell, 10 Donner, 3 (to5) Critter, 7 Happy

(25/ 0) 'Acapulco'' ordered Feb 11
12 Critter, 3 Roses, 3 Chantell, 3 Aspen, 4 Happy

(25/ 2)'Bonbini' : TWO REMAINING 16/18 cm bulbs, white with unique star pattern at throat
6 Critter, 3 Roses, 5 Aspen, 1 Sos07, 3 Terp, 5 Happy

(25/ 0) 'Conca d'Or' : 16/18 cm bulbs, white and gold
3 Critter, 3 Roses, 2 Gita, 5 Holly, 5 Donner, 1 Sos07, 3 Terp, 3 Happy

(25/ 0) 'Holland Beauty' 16/18 cm bulbs, cream edge, pink-red center. One of the newer hybrids from the tet Black Beauty, featured on the cover of B&D Lily's 2009 catalog.
6 Critter, 5 Aspen, 5 Holly, 1 Sos07, 3 Terp, 5 Happy

(25/ 0) 'Satisfaction' : 16/18 cm bulbs, pink-red with yellow throat. Said to be sturdy enough to not need staking! Hart's favorite, as I recall.
9 Critter, 5 Aspen, 5 Chantell, 1 Sos07, 5 Happy

(25/ 0) 'Candy Club' wide white edges and bright red-pink make a striking combination. Add great, sturdy stems, and fragrance -- wow!
6 Critter, 3 Chantell, 5 Holly, 5 Donner, 5 Aspen, 1 Sos

(25/ 12) OT Conca d'Or TWELVE REMAINING second bag ordered Feb 11
10 Donner, 3 Chantell,

PHLOX & ASTILBE -- we're testing the waters by ordering two sets (bags of 25) of ADR's bare root perennials along with the lilies. Order will be placed when the next round of lilies is ordered

25/0 Tall Garden Phlox 'David' -- well known white variety, very tough and (relatively) mildew-resistant. sun to partial shade
12 Critter, 3 SSG, 5 Happy, 5 Gita

25/0 Astilbe 'Ostrich' -- famed for its graceful, arching white blooms.
12 (up to 25) Aspen, 3 SSG, 10 Happy?

LILY ORDER FROM TOUCH OF NATURE

Oriental Rose Lily Fabiola (double rose pink flowers)
Critter, Aspen, Terp

Oriental lily 'Salmon Star'
Terp

1 set (3 bulbs) Critter, 1 set (3 bulbs) Happy

3 Oriental Double 'Magic Star' 2/$6
Critter (3 bulbs), ? (3 bulbs)

1 Lily Oriental Pot Farolito
Terp

4 Rubrum Uchida (pink species lily with old fashioned recurved petals like Black Beauty).
1 (2) Aspen, 1 1/2 (3)Critter, 1 1/2 (3) Donner

1 OT hybrid 'Robina'
Critter

3 Lily rubrum 'Black Beauty'
1 set (3) Critter, 2 sets (6 bulbs) Donner,

3 Lily Tiger 'Pink' 4 for
3 sets: 9 bulbs Critter,3 bulbs Aspen

still need:
1 set trumpet Regale for Chantell
1 set OT Red Dutch for Chantell

This message was edited Feb 13, 2013 3:03 PM

This message was edited Feb 13, 2013 10:51 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2013
12:04 PM

Post #9417872

Happy mentioned wanting more 'Casa Blanca'. Anybody else want some/more of those? LMK how many!

(yeah, I know I said I wasn't adding more this week... what can I say... I'm a good enabler!)

This message was edited Feb 13, 2013 3:05 PM
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2013
2:33 PM

Post #9418028

I'll happily take 10 Ostrich Astilbes.

I don't mean to push for the Casa Blancas -- it's no biggie.

I can take the remaining After Eights, Bonbinis, and Conca d'Ors.

(Critter -- I can pick up from you when they arrive, and anyone local to me who wants to can pick up theirs from me.)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2013
3:09 PM

Post #9418079

Happy, I think you were right in seeing some additional interest in the Casa Blanca after our initial 25 had been filled. It's not a push, just seeing if more were wanted.

Happy, just so you know that makes 15 'After Eight' for you. I've got the same number -- figure I'm going to plant these little cuties 5 to a container, put 2 containers out front and give the 3rd to one of my "sisters."

I can note that you'll take them if needed, but that's a lot of 'Conca d'Or'... I'm willing to sit on them for a bit, bet somebody else will want 1 here, 3 there... I know you're trying to make this easy for me! But I think I remember that you weren't real sure where you'd put the very tall ones, and 'C d'O' is definitely tall.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9418191

I know -- if anyone else wants to pick up some of the Conca's, that's fine.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2013
5:02 PM

Post #9418230

Oh boy, that Conca d'Or is so tempting. I'll take 5!
Marlene4
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9418856

Aha! Another Chance to purchase "Black Beauty"?
Greetings Jill,
I just saw that you are ordering from Bleeks and would like to request:
6 Black Beauty
3 Stargazer
3 Mount Dragon

I'm really excited about the Black Beauty!
Thanks!
Marlene
Marlene4
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2013
10:15 AM

Post #9418961

Does anyone know website that details the different lily variety lily bloom time? I've searched and find mostly general information from vendors. I'm starting to get greedy and would like to see if I can get enough varieties to bloom throughout the summer:)

Thanks Much!
Marlene
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2013
11:36 AM

Post #9419015

Marlene, I'll slide my 3 'Stargazer' from the 2nd ADR bag your way, and I'll add 2 sets of Black Beauty and one set of Mount Dragon to our ToN order (assuming availability).

Happy wanted Black Beauty also... I'll add 1 set for her also and see if she wants more than that.

HEAR YE, HEAR YE

For those who really wanted Asiatic hybrid 'Eyeliner', ChefMike has a sale that started recently, and he found some. Bulbs are $2.75 each, plus whatever shipping works out to be (probably cheaper to do a combo order, but beyond that I don't know what the final cost per bulb will be). See http://allthingsplants.com/thread/view/15048/NEW-SALE-Lily-Clemantis-Gladiolus-Dahlias-Cannas-and-more-ChefMike/ Let me know if you're interested in 'Eyeliner' (and how many) or in any of the other LILIES he is offering. I know he has other things in this sale also, but I don't know when he'll be getting things in or what he can ship together... so I'd like to just stick with lilies from his sale, please.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2013
2:53 PM

Post #9419165

ToN does have 'Casa Blanca' on their sale, for those who wanted a few more (sold in sets of 3, remember that your cost will include shipping). LMK
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2013
4:10 PM

Post #9419240

While I'm working on totals... Does anybody else want Gladiolus? There are 15 corms left of each of the eight varieties we've ordered. (Roses, I have you down for 5 of each, and Ric, I have you down for 10 of each.) Since we got free shipping, they are priced at 5 for $1. You don't have to order 5 of each variety; you can pick & choose your favorites. I'm not worried about trying to "sell out" on these... I'll either plant the leftovers or give them away to neighbors for Mother's Day. But at this price, I wanted to be sure y'all had had a chance at them!

Here's the thread for Glads: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295852/
Marlene4
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2013
6:01 PM

Post #9419317

Thanks for the bulbs Jill.
Can you stand to add to my order? This is for Bleeks right? If so, may I have
Brunello (3)
Double Sphinx (3)
Vermeer (3)
Pot New wave (3)
Also I thought I saw that Candy Club might still be available, if so,
3 Candy Club please.
And now against my better judgement, I'm going over to see the glads:)
Cheers!
Marlene
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2013
10:07 PM

Post #9425089

Marlene, I noted your cancellation of the above additions. Unfortunately, I have bad news on your others... the 'Casa Blanca' and the 'Black Beauty' you wanted were sold out before I got back over to the ToN sale today. Chantell, I also missed your Trumpet 'Regale'. I'm so sorry.

Marlene, we can probably work something out on the Casa Blanca. I'm still thinking we might need another bag of them from ADR before all is said & done. I ordered a set of 'Black Beauty', and you are welcome to share them... or maybe you'd like 3 of the more expensive ($3 each) but really cool looking 'Urchida' species lilies instead? (I ordered 6 of those, figuring that would be 2 sets of 3 for planting, and I'd be willing to share 1 set if somebody wanted them.) We did get your set of Mt. Dragon ordered!

I've also been lining up reservations for our family's upcoming Disney vacation this summer (11 of us altogether!), so whoever noted I had a lot of balls in the air was right... and I dropped a couple.

Please don't worry if there are loose ends to tie up with finalizing payments... we've covered the majority, and I'll get my spreadsheet sorted out with various changes and additions.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9426185

Jill - no worries...I actually just got home from our Walmart (DD conned me into going with her) and came home with a bag of 5 Oriental 'Triumphator' 'no staking needed' - to my eye the photo looks very much like Silk Road. Good thing I'm turning that front area into a flower bed, eh? :-)

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
5:22 AM

Post #9426391

Jill, if you order another bag of Casa Blanca from ADR, I can take 5 or maybe a few more.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9426458

I'll always take more Casa Blancas.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2013
10:56 AM

Post #9426798

OK -- Let's add the 2nd bag of Casa Blanca. I'll give them a call. Looks like we've got maybe 15 spoken for already, so I'm confident we can "sell off" the rest between now & the end of April!

Assuming I can get the 'Casa Blanca', we have 10 or 12 still available. We also have 7 unclaimed 'Conca d'Or' orienpets. (I know Happy said she would take more if needed, but I wanted to "offer them around" a bit longer first.)

Also, the Touch of Nature lilies are selling out pretty fast, so if there are any you haven't been quite sure about, decide quickly!

On the 'Casa Blanca', so far I have 5 for Happy, 3 or 5 for Marlene, and 5 for Donner from the second bag.

(So go ahead and send me that extra $5 you keep trying to include, Happy!)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
1:36 PM

Post #9426939

Ok, I'll happily take the rest of the Casa Blancas and the Conca d'Ors -- unless someone is sorry they didn't get them, in which case of course they can have them..

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
3:48 PM

Post #9427083

Jill--

I can't believe I am going to say this--but i will take 2 Casa Blankas.
I know how awesome they are. I wull find room somewhere...
What do I owe you? Is it $5? Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2013
11:08 PM

Post #9427475

Sadly, ADR has sold out of 'Casa Blanca' (and they're out of many others, too... glad we got going fairly early with our orders!).

They do still have 'Rialto', a large white oriental lily with slightly ruffled edges. I asked Chris if he thinks the fragrance is anything like 'CB', in which case I figure we want a bag of 25 in place of the extra 'CB's we were hoping for. Who knows, this could be like "Casa Blanca Improved" LOL.

Marlene, Happy, Donner... if you don't want 'Rialto' please let me know.

I was just talking to a friend this morning (one of the ballet moms), and she'd love a few lilies, so I'll snag some of the extras for her... 3 'Conca d'Or' and 3 'Rialto' for sure... might slide her a couple 'Satisfaction' also. She didn't know about the big OT hybrids and is pretty excited about them. She dug out a bunch of her clay and replaced it with "good" dirt; definitely a serious gardener, and yes I'm going to try to get her on here! but with 5 girls, she doesn't have a lot of spare time LOL

Happy, I think we're now down to 4 extra Conca d'Or if you really do want them. Also, do you want those extra 5 'After Eight' really, or were you just being a good sport about them? Since they're mini's, I'm sure somebody will come along and want a pot of them... but if you're already planning where to tuck them, I'll make sure they're reserved for you.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
7:49 AM

Post #9427743

Jill, I will take 5 Rialtos if you order them. Hope they are as fragrant as CB.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9427764

Thanks! I got a response from Chris at ADR this morning... he said lilies are moving really fast this year. He's trying to get some more 'Casa Blanca' as well as others, but if he can't get us CB he'll add a bag of Rialto to our order instead. (No worries - we still have our first bag of CB)

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2013
11:10 AM

Post #9428968

Rialto's fine with me -- thanks for all the hard work you are doing for all of us, Critter!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9429043

Hah - it's all of you who will be working hard this spring, when it's time to dig all these holes!

If y'all would rather have 'Rialto', please speak up. Otherwise, we'll wait and see what Chris can get his hands on. We've got plenty of time before our order ships.

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2013
2:13 PM

Post #9429129

Critter, I'd like the 5 remaining tiny "After Eight" if I have read correctly. Thanks, Judy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9429184

Judy, they can be yours. Happy spoke for them at one point, but I'm pretty sure she was just trying to make sure they'd sell out. :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2013
3:12 PM

Post #9429186

Coleup and other newcomers to this thread, please speak up for what you would like, even if it's "sold out." We have a good bit of time yet before the swap, and Chris may be able to replenish his stock. I can't promise anything, but we'll add on later if it's possible (and if there's enough demand)... if nobody speaks up, then no more will be ordered for sure. LOL
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2013
3:40 PM

Post #9429209

Jill, I'm not sure what Holly may have ordered but a few extra of this or that will never hurt us. Ric
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2013
7:42 AM

Post #9429703

Yes, After-Eights to coleup!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2013
4:21 AM

Post #9437128

Jill--

Went to the Flower and garden Show at Timmonium. It was not as good as other years...
Walked around for hours. Plus went to the Craft Show in another building...

My ONLY purchase for the day was----ready?---two oriental Lily bulbs.
Couldn't resist...so pretty. Two more holes to dig...somewhere...
Just wanted to show you...
G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9437346

Hah! We got her!

That's a lovely find, Gita! I'm really enchanted by these new double forms and looking forward to having a couple in my garden this year, too!

From the little freckles on the petals, I'm hoping it's a double oriental so you'll have the fragrance... I know there are some double asiatics also, which are usually not fragrant... but then again there are a few asiatic lilies now with fragrance... isn't hybridization wonderful?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9437531

It is an Oriental Lily, Jill...He had all kinds of bulbs for sale...These just caught my eye.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2013
1:12 PM

Post #9460316

Bulbs from Touch of Nature are HERE!

The box arrived yesterday afternoon. They'll be just fine in the garage for the next few days, with this snow/cold coming.

For those who ordered these bulbs from Bleek, you are welcome to swing by and pick them up in Frederick if you'll be by within the next week(ish). Just let me know. Bulbs that won't be picked up soon will be moved to Aspenhill's extra fridge (near Brunswick, MD) and could also be picked up there at her convenience. Otherwise, you can get them together with your ADR lilies/plants at the spring plant swap.

A reason to pick these bulbs up earlier if possible is that getting them into the ground sooner gives them more time to put down good roots before bloom time this year. Bleek advised me that planting earlier if possible is better... but I've planted bulbs with 3 inch sprouts in June before, and they've done all right. Regardless, you'll probably have to stake them their first year (or have the leaning bloom stalks that are so common in my garden, *blush*).

I haven't done a final reckoning with the spreadsheet yet, because most people are spot on or pretty close. I figure once the spring swap thread goes up, some more people might want to get "in" on this deal... if so, I'll re-open the group buy to additional orders. There might then be other bulbs that tempt you, or small adjustments made for those who have said a bulb or two more/less is OK. So after we're all done with that, I'll send out a final (Dmail) invoice near the end of April.

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
1:53 PM

Post #9460364

I'll definitely come pick up mine -- if anyone who lives closer to me wants to pick up from me, let me know. I'm not sure how quickly I'll get out, but in the next 2 weeks I would think.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
1:53 PM

Post #9460367

I'll definitely come pick up mine -- if anyone who lives closer to me wants to pick up from me, let me know. I'm not sure how quickly I'll get out, but in the next 2 weeks I would think. How soon will the ADR bulbs arrive?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
2:42 PM

Post #9460409

Jill I might be up that way Thursday or Saturday. I will DM you and arrange further details. I'm also willing to act as a relay for anybody I'm my neck of the woods.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
2:48 PM

Post #9460418

UMD -- you are closer to me than Jill, so if you pick up from Jill, I can pick up from you...
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
3:01 PM

Post #9460430

OK. Let's just coordinate and whoever can get up there first picks them up. I really would like to grab them Thursday if I'm up there, which would be Damascus. Also it would have to be before 8am maybe earlier. Let's talk!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
3:15 PM

Post #9460444

Jill--

You will have to remind me if any of these bulbs are ones i ordered.
I really did not keep track of WHERE mine came from.

If sally may be picking them up from you--she could pick up mine also.
Sally is only 28 miles from my house.

Sally! let me know if you are doing this...ok? Thanks. G.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9460575

I can pick up from either on a weekend however this w/e is Easter so it would probably be the following w/e which is the 6th or 7th depending on which of those two days I wouldn't be running around doing the side job in Delmarva. Terry, I'd also be happy to come by on a week night after work if that would be better for you. Let me know ya'lls preference.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2013
7:27 PM

Post #9460718

Gita, I'm pretty sure you only had ADR bulbs.

I won't be available Easter weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun), too many other things going on then!

ADR bulbs are scheduled for delivery a week before the swap (sorting party is the Saturday before the swap!). I *could* have them sent sooner and move the sorting party to the Saturday after Easter... but that would mean more bulbs being held in the fridge rather than being held dormant at ADR's facilities. I'll double check with ADR... if they think bulbs sent at the end of April may have begun sprouting, then I'll have then shipped here sooner. That way, they may sprout in the fridge here, but they would not have to be shipped with their sprouts, so I think there would be less possibility of damage to the bud. But I am pretty sure he said he could hold them dormant until he shipped to us.

I asked Bleek for his input and got this in response: "As soon as the bulbs come out of the freezer to me then you can not freeze them back and thus they will slowly, very slowly continue to develop. Keep the temp above freezing like 34 or a little higher. Also do not make a big block of packages together, so take them out of the box."

Terp, this coming Thursday would be fine. Jim is usually up before 8... and if you're going to be really early (by our standards LOL), I'll put them outside weather permitting. I'll get them sorted out (who's whose) in the next couple days, hopefully tomorrow. Sounds like it's better for you to pick them up from me in Frederick rather than from Terri in Lovittsville -- yes?

I'm looking at the long-range forecasts... through the weekend, high temps move up to the 50's, but nights are still 30, so the garage temps should be fine (cooler than my basement, anyway!). I'll check to see if any have seriously broken dormancy during their trip here, but I doubt it.

Sounds like I should get together with Terri and find a time that's good to get most of the bulbs to her fridge before Easter weekend (or even the Monday after). Actually, after I get my bulbs out of the box and then Terp's and Happy's orders, and then Terry's and Chantell's bulbs, the remaining bulbs will probably fit fine in my little dorm fridge.

I need to pick up more little paper bags... :-)

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
7:50 PM

Post #9460739

Jill, yes perhaps. I will have to make a trip out to dulles midday saturday though and it isssssss almost spring. Perhaps that might be easier and give me a beautiful view of the wooded beauty aspen resides at.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2013
9:28 PM

Post #9460816

Terp, you'll have to check with Terri & see if she'll be available this coming Saturday. If so, I will try to get her bulbs and yours and Chantell's (and Happy's also, I think, if I'm keeping track correctly) to her before I become unavailable toward the end of the week. The remaining bulbs may actually fit OK in my little fridge.

Bottom line on the Touch of Nature bulbs: let me know which of these 3 options you would prefer

1. Pick up lily bulbs within the next week or two from me in Frederick (not over Easter weekend, Thurs. pm - Sunday)

2. Pick up lily bulbs from Aspenhill before the swap

3. Pick up your lily bulbs at the spring plant swap in NJ (before which they will be in either my fridge or Terri's)

note: bulbs & bare root plants from ADR will be delivered to me 8 or 9 days before the swap and sorted that Saturday. If you come to the "sorting party," you can pick up your bulbs then, or during the following week, or you can pick them up at the spring plant swap.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2013
11:16 PM

Post #9460852

Jill, Please send my 5 After Eights with Aspenhill as she has agreed to pot them up for me and bring them to the swap at Jan's. Thank you and have a very Happy Easter!

Coleup (Judy)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2013
12:30 AM

Post #9460856

Judy, the 'After Eight' mini orientals are coming from ADR just before the swap.

I'll double check Bleek's invoice from ToN against the spreadsheet so I know who has what, but it's late, so for now I'm just going to post the list of what he sent in the box and who is getting them to the best of my recollection. Note that there were a few bulbs we didn't get, and I'm pretty sure everybody's initial "invoice" reflected them.

The bulbs all look good, firm, no sign of mold. They're in plastic bags with a bit of damp peat. Most have indeed broken dormancy and started putting up a bud, from 1/4" to maybe 1 1/4". As Bleek suggested to me this evening, I've separated them into 3 boxes so they have some space around them, ensuring they stay as cold as the air in the garage (they won't freeze; average temp out there is probably 35-45 until the weekend).

L. rubrum 'Black Beauty' :12 bulbs (4 packs of 3) -- wanted 7 packs but sold out, so we're juggling. Critter, Donner, Chantell, Happy, Marlene
Pink Tiger Lily: 12 bulbs (3 packs of 4) -- 9 to Critter, 6 to Aspen

OL 'Salmon Star: 3 bulbs (1 pack of 3) -- 3 to Terp

OL double 'Rose Fabiola' ppaf : 8 bulbs (4 packs of 2) -- 3 to Critter, 3 to Aspen, 2 to Terp

OL 'Hotline' : 6 bulbs (2 packs of 3) -- 3 to Critter, 3 to Happy

OL double 'Magic Star' 6 bulbs (3 packs of 2) - 3 to Critter, 3 to Happy?

L. rubrum 'Uchida' 8 bulbs (4 packs of 2) -- 3 to Critter, 3 to Donner, 2 to Aspen

OT 'Robina' 3 bulbs (1 pack of 3) -- 3 to Critter

Lily Looks 'Tiny Pearl' 8 bulbs (2 packs of 4) -- 8 to ?

OL 'Farolito' 3 bulbs (2 packs of 3, sold out) -- 3 to Terp, 3 to ?

OT 'Red Dutch' 3 bulbs (1 pack of 3) -- 3 to Chantell

AL 'Mount Dragon' 5 bulbs (1 pack of 5) -- 5 to Marlene

AL Petite Brigitte' 5 bulbs (1 pack of 5) -- 5 to ?

AL 'Matrix' 15 bulbs (3 packs of 5) -- 15 to ?

I can't find orders for Asiatic lilies 'Petite Brigitte' and 'Matrix' in the group buy thread... if you ordered them, please jog my memory. Same for the second pack of 'Farolito'.

And Happy said she'd take the second trio of double oriental 'Fabiola', but if somebody else wants them, she'll slide them over to you.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2013 3:11 AM

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2013
3:26 AM

Post #9460885

Jill, we can meet up one evening this week to get the bulb order sorted out for what will be coming to my house - either for refridgeration or pre-swap pickups. I will be home this weekend on both Saturday and most of Sunday for Terp and/or anyone else who wants to pick up from my place then. If Sunday, I will probably be going to my parents late afternoon for Easter dinner.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2013
5:12 AM

Post #9460945

Terri what about 4/6? Are you home that Saturday?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9461070

I might be able to drive out tonight if that works for you, Jill, and I could help sort. I've got a list of errands to do...

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2013
8:16 AM

Post #9461176

Paul - yes Saturday 4/6 works for me. I'm almost always home during the weekends other than quick errands into Leesburg and back. Once you know an estimated time frame, just let me know. I'll dmail you address and phone numbers.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9461220

Awesome!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2013
10:55 AM

Post #9461402

Happy, we'd be delighted to see you any time! I'll be away 6:30 until 8:30 or 9 (aqua-cise at the Y), but Jim & Joyanna will be here. The ToN order is only 100 bulbs, split between 6 or 7 people, and I think you are down for just 2 varieties, so sorting &/or immediate pickup aren't a big deal. I'll Dmail you.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9461502

Happy, we'd be delighted to see you any time! I'll be away 6:30 until 8:30 or 9 (aqua-cise at the Y), but Jim & Joyanna will be here. The ToN order is only 100 bulbs, split between 6 or 7 people, and I think you are down for just 2 varieties, so sorting &/or immediate pickup aren't a big deal. I'll Dmail you.

I'm swimming at the Y tonight, so Terri LMK if Tuesday or Wednesday would work for you... I can swing down your way after Jim is done with work for the day, or you can swing up here, either way is fine. Oh, actually, you might want to swing up here... I think Jim is going into Rockville tomorrow, and Tuesday is discount day at Zio's Pizza, so maybe we can get him to bring one home. :-)

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9467051

Jill, I am currently out of town and won't be back until April 12. The earliest time for me to pick up the bulbs will be the 13th or the 14th if that's convenient for you. Thank you for all the work.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2013
6:11 PM

Post #9467115

The Touch of Nature bulbs are now all tucked into Aspenhill-Terri's extra fridge! She's got it set at the "34 or a little higher" temp recommended by Bleek. Most have broken dormancy, but we're talking 1 to 1 1/2 inch shoots. They won't sprout much further in the fridge, I don't think... it's possible this year's bud might dry up, but as long as they grow at all they should be good for next year regardless.

Thanks, Terri, for giving them a snug chilly stopover home!

If you want to be sure of blooms this year from the ToN bulbs, plan to pick them up from Terri at your (and her!) earliest convenience. Donner, maybe you can drop Terri (Aspenhill) a note and find a time that works for both of you... maybe by then her newly-stuck strep leaves will be putting up "ears." :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2013
5:59 PM

Post #9475186

I picked up a sack of 18 'Casa Blanca' at Costco last week, haven't peeked yet to see how big they are.

I think I'm going to start a "part II" thread with the few leftovers from this thread and also to see if anybody else going to the spring swap wants lilies. I was anticipating that once Jan's swap threads went up, there might be more interest, and I hate to have anybody miss out... so stay tuned!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2013
6:41 PM

Post #9475238

Well I must say I had quite an eventful DG 24 hours (friday - saturday). Between my plant transfer from Gita's Friday afternoon to Lucketts, Va to visit Terri and her husband Mike Saturday morning I traveled over 200 miles.

First Thank you to Terri for coordinating the bleek bulb pick-up for me. It was extremely enjoyable for me to visit and meet her husband Mike. The house and property are gorgeous and you both are wonderful. I can't wait to visit again. We spent about an hour there but we easily have spent the entire day. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Thank you Jill for organizing the bulbs and also throwing in extra bags of seeds since my basil basically failed as well as some daffs.

I hope everybody had a great weekend! Terri I hope you feel better.

-Paul
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9493674

Does anyone know -- will lilies grow through vinca, or will it strangle them? I'm thinking they should co-exist... but don't want to blow it.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9493767

Vinca major, or vinca minor? I have Vinca minor in a back corner of a shrub & perennial bed, and so far it shows no signs of strangling anything, but it's in part shade, so it hasn't had a crack at any lilies.

Lily stems are pretty sturdy & determined in their upward growth.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9493768

Minor -- sorry not to be specific. That's what I was thinking. The lilies only need to poke a one inch hole in the mess of vines.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9505813

THEY ARE HERE!

The lilies arrived this afternoon, a week sooner than I was expecting them. 3 crates!!! I have not poked around at them yet, but just from the weight I think we have some nice bulbs!

I'll check what we got against what we ordered and make sure everything looks good, and then I'll post a list of "leftovers" that still need homes (not many of these).

Wheeeee!

As soon as I get these sorted out, I have a fall bulb thing ready to set in motion...
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2013
4:46 PM

Post #9505859

OMG, you are a glutton for punishment -- but we are every so grateful. Please let me know what I owe! I may try to drive out next weekend (definitely not this weekend) to do a pickup, if that works for you - if I do, I'll be happy to pick up for anyone in my neck of the woods. Not entirely likely, though; I just bought some stuff for the far back of my yard that I need to get planted quickly!

This message was edited May 2, 2013 7:02 PM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2013
4:55 PM

Post #9505867

Happy,

If you end up going could you grab mine??!?
PLZ. LMK
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2013
6:41 PM

Post #9505977

Terp, she may have already contacted you, but I think SG said she could grab yours on Sunday. That mini plant swap is going to turn into a bulb sorting party, hooray!!

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2013
7:00 PM

Post #9506004

Terp and Happy, I'd already planned a Frederick trip for this Sunday so I can pick up your lilies.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9506019

You're awesome ssg, I'll be in touch.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2013
7:18 PM

Post #9506021

Critter can you tell me the details for this Sunday bulb sort party? Feeling the need to break out of Annapolis . Maybe directions and # in a Dmail? Who else will be sorting?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2013
7:53 PM

Post #9506084

LOL, details... not sure, but they're coming together. I think it started when Holly said she wanted to come down and pick up her lotuses and also had a large hydrangea to drop off for Donner, who had something (also big) to drop off for SSG, or maybe it was the other way around LOL... well anyway, there's a sort of pre-swap happening Sunday afternoon now. I love when things like this just come together! Aspen-Terri might be joining us also, and anybody else who's interested -- just LMK!

Stay tuned since this is subject to change as I check times with everybody, but I'm thinking we could gather around 5 at my house (I know SSG won't be able to come until 6), sort bulbs and plants, then either have a pizza party or go out to our favorite Chef Lin buffet for dinner. (They finally replaced their soft serve ice cream machine... but that's not all... now they have soft serve and scoop ice cream, and a toppings bar, and a CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN. Oh, and their shrimp and their crisp green beans are still delicious, as are about 100 other things there!)
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9506108

lol I have something large for Holly, ss, donner, Buttoneer, Aspenhill. Happy and you!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2013
5:11 AM

Post #9506333

LOL Coleup want to come up and join us?
Jill I have something large for SSG and Donner has something large for me. Is there anything from my Swap list that you would like for me to bring?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2013
5:22 AM

Post #9506359

Yes, I'm teaching the JM s to drive today so they can help! This will make up for missing you and Ric at my house for tour. Stay well.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2013
5:24 AM

Post #9506360

Great! Well they taught dogs to drive I don't know why the JM's can't learn. LOL
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9506385

So coleup you'll be bringing my swap items to Jill's? That'll be perfect! I'll bring the Japanese maple so we can swap those.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2013
5:55 AM

Post #9506397

Jill, count me in too for Sunday. Late afternoon and sorting lily bulbs will work for me - still gives me most of the day for yardening if I didn't accomplish enough on Saturday :) Plus the bonus of seeing you guys, who can pass that up?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2013
7:05 AM

Post #9506503

Holly, I know we were initially tossing around an earlier time.. does 5 pm work for you? I think bulb sorting should go pretty quickly. I typed out label sheets last night, so cross your fingers that they print out well, and it should make things pretty easy. If we miss anything, I trust that people will let me know!

I'll look at have/want lists when I have a chance, probably this evening because I think my day is about to go zoooom!

Coleup, Holly or I could take the "something large" for Buttoneer. I've been talking about a trip up her way when things settle down -- or even if they don't. LOL

Caladiums !!

I knew that would get your attention. It's been a cool spring, so my order from Bill has just now arrived. He double-sent one variety, Miss Muffet, and told me to keep them or share them, so I'm doing both -- offering them to you folks for a little less than half price, 50 cents per bulb for 25 bulbs. I also have 3 or 4 more than I need of 'Pink Cloud' and 'Gypsy Rose', so if somebody is interested in those, let me know & I'll figure the price ($1.50 or less per bulb, if memory serves)

Anybody coming to the bulb sorting party has dibs. :-)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9506507

Sally and I had out own pre-Swap--Swap yesterday.

Not only did we go to the "Md, Flower and Foliage" to shop for plants--
but I unloaded all the stuff she wanted from me...Filled her car!!!

Pre Swaps are very practical--if you live close enough to each other...
Sally works Downtown Baltimore--so this IS close.

Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9506555

Does anybody coming by Sunday have a true over-abundance of trade gallon or quart (4 inch) sized pots? I have a huge number of them, usually, but I think I've been propagating and up-potting more than planting out recently. I do have milk jugs that didn't get used for WS this year that I could cut down, so I'm not in dire straits, don't bring your last 2 or anything, but I figured I'd put out a call, LOL.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2013
12:05 PM

Post #9506860

I can take anything for Buttoneer.
Jill, Yes, later will work look for us around 4:00.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9506862

OK, official gathering time for the pre-swap and bulb sorting party: 4 pm this coming Sunday afternoon

I've been peeking at the bulbs... Did I mention that Chris found some BIGGER Casablanca bulbs for us at the same price when his supplier ran out of the first ones? And he sent us both bags in the bigger size. There were 5 left, but I snarfed 3 of them for my nieces... 2 still available! :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9506884

I've been checking off bulbs from our list, and I don't see (25) Acapulco, (50) Stargazer, or (50) tiny oriental After Eight. However, there are two 25 bulb bags ('Red Eye' and 'Maurena') that I don't recognize and can't find online descriptions for. I'm sending Chris an email to see if I can straighten things out... and now you see part of the reason I kept saying I'd need to reconcile the spreadsheet at the very end! LOL

There are 7 A. 'Dimension', 2 'Bon Bini', 3 'Satisfaction', 2 'Casa Blanca', and 4 'Conca d'Or' remaining. You all have "dibs" if you want them, but don't feel obliged, because I can "sell them off" to my friend Theresa or to a neighbor.

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9506960

I'll take the casa blanca... actually, I'll take 'em all...

This message was edited May 3, 2013 3:24 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2013
3:16 PM

Post #9507064

Well, that was easy. :-)

I'm kinda hoping another crate shows up tomorrow... or that I can get the missing ones before the swap. Otherwise, I can substitute the "mystery" ones that were included in the crates. I was not able to find any information about these varieties, but hopefully we'll know more when Chris gets back to me.

If you ordered Stargazer, let me know in you want 'Red Eyes' instead or a refund

If you ordered Acalpulco, let me know in you want 'Maurena' instead or a refund

If you ordered After Eight, and I can't get them before the swap, I'll do a refund on those.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9507078

HEY

I did just find 'Maurena' (I spelled it wrong when I first looked), and it sure does look like a substitute for Aculpulco, so I'm guessing that's what happened there. http://www.perennialnursery.com/lily-maurena.html

I'm not real happy about that, because I wanted Aculpulco specifically for its shorter stature -- half the bag was going to my SIL, to plant around a smallish tree. But I can always find space for pink flowers!

We'll be more clear with our fall order if we definitely don't want subs.

By the way, the bulbs look really good, nice and firm and plump, and only a few little nubs have broken dormancy. :-)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9509058

I'm easy -- whatever -- though I really prefer short all things being equal... which they seldom are...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2013
10:37 AM

Post #9509087

I'm sure Chris will clear it up for me tomorrow...
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2013
5:35 PM

Post #9511042

Thanks again to Jill for organizing and to those of you that helped sort the lilies! Sorry I wasn't able to get there early enough to help you all sort.

Btw, did we get Phlox David with this order? There were 2 different kinds of bulbs in the bag from Donnerville (in addition to the calla lilies). I wasn't sure if they were 2 different kinds of oxalis or if David was mixed into the bag.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2013
5:37 PM

Post #9511046

Yes. I second that notion from SSG. Thank you very much Jill. I picked up my bag today from SSG. I'm hoping for a window tomorrow morning to get them in the ground.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2013
9:39 PM

Post #9511328

Dang, SSG, I'm sorry. I had asked at one point if anybody there had asked for 'David', but you probably weren't there yet... I left them to deal with later. We did divvy up the astilbe, and they looked really nice -- big divisions -- so we'll be doing bare root plants from ADR again. :-)

I'll divide up the 'David' Phlox later this week. SSG has 3, Happy and Gita each have 5, and I have the rest. Unless they suddenly start sprouting more, I'll probably just bag them rather than pot them.

Thanks for the sorting help! It went 10 times faster than I'd have managed on my own. I appreciate the cooperative spirit everybody brought to this venture!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
3:41 AM

Post #9511462

Jill, the astilbe roots are HUGE! :) They're going in the rain garden next week. I'll just pick up David from you at the swap.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
3:49 AM

Post #9511467

What's the rule for planting lily bulbs
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2013
3:55 AM

Post #9511469

Put them in deep.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9511725

same as other bulbs... plant them so their tops are 1 to 2 times as deep as their diameter. That means digging a 6 to 8 inch deep hole for a 2 to 3 inch lily bulb. But don't sweat it too much, because I think lilies are one of those plants with the contractile roots that they use to pull themselves down to their preferred depth.

I'll go through the spreadsheet one more time so I can send out final "invoices" before the swap.

If anybody wants markers (Sharpie industrial black or Sharpie metallic silver, gold, bronze) or polymer moisture crystals ($5 per pound), please let me know. I'll get them packed for you and add them to your spreadsheet column.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
8:34 AM

Post #9511733

Great. Well I got them in the ground this morning in the drizzle. I think we are all looking forward to seeing them come up this year.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9511740

Critter: How long do your markers last outside? If I recall, it is really really long, unlike regular sharpies -- I'd love one black and one silver. Do you think I could use the silver to write on black rubber hoses to identify their length and date of purchase?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2013
11:05 AM

Post #9511918

The industrial sharpies are definitely good for more than one season, although I can't think of anywhere I've used them more than 3 years -- they may well last longer than that; I just don't know. (For long term labels I use your idea with the avery clear laser labels.) I do have labels made with industrial sharpie that have been buried (no sun) for probably 5 years now, and when I dig one up I can read it just fine. The silver is still legible but starting to fade on black nursery pots that I've marked 3 years ago. Both would probably last longer for you in the shade. HTH

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9512349

Using a good lead pencil on light colored markers (*mini blinds) lasts a long, long time...
And--it is cheap...G.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
8:06 PM

Post #9512593

Jill - I'm sorry, please remind me what the price is on the markers?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
8:08 PM

Post #9512597

I don't understand -- everyone says pencil marks last, but for me they don't last long at all -- maybe I need a softer lead?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9512598

Off the top of my head, I think the last batch I ordered came to 75 cents for the black industrial, $1.25 for the gold or silver metallic. (Note -- the "metallic" markers aren't the same as the metallic paint markers that sharpie also makes... these that I use have tips like "regular" markers)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2013
8:13 PM

Post #9512603

Pencil lasts for me on the back sides of the zinc markers... I use it for additional notes there. But I don't have much luck with it in "exposed" locations. I haven't tried it on buried markers, since I was using industrial sharpies by the time I started trying to plant back-up markers under the plants. (I can find them when I dig the plant to divide -- I'm especially trying to do this with irises and daylilies.)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
8:14 PM

Post #9512608

Critter -- what type of marker do you use for buried markers for daylilies and irises?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2013
8:51 PM

Post #9512676

underground: window blind for the label, sharpie industrial marker for the lettering.

above ground: metal "rose" markers with avery clear laser labels

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2013
7:08 AM

Post #9513079

So window blinds will last a long time underground? I vaguely remember that daylily folks use those yellow (or whatever) colored "wrap-around" labels for this purpose (like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-WRAP-AROUND-9-x-3-4-plastic-plant-labels-nursery-stake-tags-pot-markers-/140965410545?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d23176f1) , but I couldn't be sure. I know that it sounds as if a 5-year survival rate is long for markers, but I'd like something relatively permanent so that if I did up a plant 10 or 20 (or more) years later -- or my grandkids do (!) -- we can still figure out what it was!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9513390

I use mini blinds in my water plant pots put them along the side all the way in and they are still readable each year.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2013
11:24 AM

Post #9513398

That's terrific information, Holly; what kind of pen do you use to write on them?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9513406

I used my Brother label maker for most of them and some were done with a good sharpie. Make sure the sharpie has time to set up before you put them in, just a minute or two.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9514785

Happy, I'm going to use those yellow wrap-around labels you got for me on my amaryllises when they go out (those I remembered to label when they bloomed, at any rate. Seems to me that window blind markers are pretty long-lasting. Sometimes I find one with no writing left on it (probably from when I was using "regular" sharpie, but the plastic piece is still in pretty good shape.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2013
3:21 PM

Post #9514877

So you'll bury the yellow wrap-around label? That sounds like a good plan.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2013
3:46 PM

Post #9514908

Yes, I'm going to bury a yellow label with some new daylilies that just came... figure it's easier to spot than a white marker when digging up those DL roots. I'm planning to use industrial Sharpie. Holly has a good point about letting it "set up."

I may not bother to double-label my lilies, because I haven't had lilies increase enough to divide in the past... I'll just stick a marker in the middle of the clump so I don't step there as they're coming up in spring.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9523870

final reconciliation is done!

I'll be sending out Dmails the next time I come inside to take a break from the heat.

I used our total bulbs sold and the total cost of the ADR lilies to figure out our average price per bulb, which came to 96 cents. (I rounded up a small fraction, which covered the cost of packaging.)

We did NOT get the After Eight dwarf orientals, so those that ordered will get refunds.

Therefore, the leftover bulbs are FREE. My thought is that we should offer them to Jan, for hosting the swap, and also to Nuts4Daylilies, for being so generous with the her named DLs. If this doesn't sit right with anybody, please let me know.

:-)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9523907

That works for me!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2013
12:44 PM

Post #9524021

Me to.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2013
10:37 PM

Post #9524520

Er, OK, so the Dmailed invoices didn't happen. I've got it jotted down on paper, though. So bring your checkbook, or you're welcome to pay via PayPal if you add the fee please. I'll be doing refunds via PayPal next week.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America