Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Carolina Jasmine

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hondosandy
Hondo, TX

January 26, 2013
12:35 PM

Post #9398278

When is the right time to prune a Carolina Jasmine? In the South Central TX we have been in drought conditions. Leaves looked rusty all summer and the blooms were scarce in the spring. It gets sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon. It is not doing well and I would like to get it off to a better start for this growing season.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9398312

I would suggest posting your question in the Beginner Gardening forum: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/b_gardentalk/all/ This forum is for discussing the new Garden Showcase feature so for gardening advice/how-to's you will get more answers in the other forum.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9408774

If you have to prune it fairly hard, I would prune it as early as you can in the late winter/early spring.
Do not prune so early that the new growth gets hit by the last frost, though.
You can also do some light pruning through the summer, but not major re-shaping.

A conservative suggestion: Prune off no more than 25% of the total mass at any one time, but cut back a few of the most awkward branches as far as you want. Then look at the pile on the ground, and if that is about 1/4 of the plant, STOP.
Allow regrowth, shaping, and lightly trimming it through the summer.
Next year, more major pruning.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2013
8:12 PM

Post #9408806

Isn't this the Beginner Gardening Forum?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2013
8:58 PM

Post #9408841

This is--admins must have moved the post to the proper forum, it wasn't here when I posted originally.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America