Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Perennials: Is it too late to plant hyacinth bulbs?

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 3, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sburt
John Day, OR

January 26, 2013
1:10 PM

Post #9398316

I purchased a number of hyacinth bulbs and procrastinated in getting them in the ground during the fall season. We have been experiencing below freezing temps for the past couple months though the past few days the highs have been in the 40s. Can I still plant them and have them come up this year? Should I wait a bit longer? Thanks for any replies.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 26, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9398463

I just heard a podcast on youbetyourgarden.org. If you can dig a hole, go ahead and get them planted. They might bloom a little later than other bulbs but they'll fare better in the long run. Check out the website for more details.
sburt
John Day, OR

January 26, 2013
8:45 PM

Post #9398728

CindyMzone5 wrote:I just heard a podcast on youbetyourgarden.org. If you can dig a hole, go ahead and get them planted. They might bloom a little later than other bulbs but they'll fare better in the long run. Check out the website for more details.

Excellent! Just checked the site you mentioned and found it had just what I was looking for. Thanks so much, Cindy!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 27, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9399032

You are so welcome. I listen to the podcasts in the car 'cause I never sit still long enough otherwise. The podcast made me feel guilty about some smaller daffodil bulbs I had dug up last fall during tree removal and they're still sitting naked in a pot in my heated garage. With a little warmup here the next couple of days, I could at least get them planted and buried in pots in the ground until I can figure out what to do with them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America