Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Houseplants: FIDDLE LEAF FIG HELP PLEASE!!!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 1, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TubOfDough
Los Angeles, CA

January 26, 2013
8:15 PM

Post #9398702

I have had a fiddle leaf fig plant that has been struggling for a few years now. It does not grow and thrive, and I am trying to improve its conditions to see if i can facilitate growth. i had it in a south facing window for a while (watering once every week or two) but then i thought maybe it was not getting enough light, so i moved it outside. then white spots appeared on its leaves! see pics. can someone please advise as to why this happened and if i should move it back in, repot (in a bigger pot?), and keep it in a east-facing window perhaps? that is where i have the best space for it. i would love for this plant to make it. thank you!!!

Thumbnail by TubOfDough   Thumbnail by TubOfDough   Thumbnail by TubOfDough
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
8:23 PM

Post #9398709

How much sun was it getting when you moved it outside? Indoor light (even from a nice bright window) is nowhere near as intense as the light outside, so if it was in a place that it got any direct sun at all it could have gotten sunburned. If you want to move a plant outdoors, you need to gradually acclimate it to the higher light levels outdoors. The good news is sunburn typically isn't fatal, just a little unsightly. I'm not sure if that's what caused your spots though, looking at the pictures it doesn't look quite like sunburn I've seen on my plants' leaves, but wanted to mention it as a possibility.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America