Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening: FIDDLE LEAF FIG HELP PLEASE!!!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening
Forum: Beginner GardeningReplies: 1, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
Los Angeles, CA

January 26, 2013
8:15 PM

Post #9398702

I have had a fiddle leaf fig plant that has been struggling for a few years now. It does not grow and thrive, and I am trying to improve its conditions to see if i can facilitate growth. i had it in a south facing window for a while (watering once every week or two) but then i thought maybe it was not getting enough light, so i moved it outside. then white spots appeared on its leaves! see pics. can someone please advise as to why this happened and if i should move it back in, repot (in a bigger pot?), and keep it in a east-facing window perhaps? that is where i have the best space for it. i would love for this plant to make it. thank you!!!

Thumbnail by TubOfDough   Thumbnail by TubOfDough   Thumbnail by TubOfDough
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
8:23 PM

Post #9398709

How much sun was it getting when you moved it outside? Indoor light (even from a nice bright window) is nowhere near as intense as the light outside, so if it was in a place that it got any direct sun at all it could have gotten sunburned. If you want to move a plant outdoors, you need to gradually acclimate it to the higher light levels outdoors. The good news is sunburn typically isn't fatal, just a little unsightly. I'm not sure if that's what caused your spots though, looking at the pictures it doesn't look quite like sunburn I've seen on my plants' leaves, but wanted to mention it as a possibility.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America