AuthorContent

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9398955

I really like those old hardwood ladders that you see on the side of the road or covered in cobwebs in a barn or junkstore.

I've used a few over time and they have all lasted for years. This is a 12 ft one I cut in half and just crisscrossed the ends. Then a couple of long woodscrews through the crisscross to hold it together. Never pass an old ladder by!

The rabbit belonged to my grandmother. He layed broken in 3 peces in my Moms backyard at the edge of the woods covered in leaves for 20 years or more. It was fun cleaning him up and bringing him back to life...

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 28, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9400135

I never see any old ladders around here. Oh yes, I did see one at a thrift store, they wanted $10 for it and thought that was too much. Well, someone liked it enough because next time I went it was gone. Love your bunny, another treasure saved!!

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

January 28, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9400196

I had some old aluminum extension ladders that I made stands out of for my hose reels & a double wash tub, I cut off a 4' section for the top & two 2' sections for the legs & fastened them together with self tapping sheet metal screws.They are very strons & they won't rot or rust.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9400323

Aluminums great. I would have to paint them first though.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2013
8:58 PM

Post #9406538

I had to leave some ladders behind in Boise, Idaho when I left 3 years ago. I sure miss them!! They made such great Garden Art!

David, your photography is one of the reasons your garden is so beautiful. You have an artist eye for "the view".

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2013
4:11 AM

Post #9406633

Nice hearing from you pat. Thank you.

When do you start your seed starting in WA.? Do you start indoors?

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2013
4:37 AM

Post #9406649

I love the ladder, what a great idea, the bunny looks awesome.
Christine

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2013
5:34 AM

Post #9406681

Thank you Jasminesmom!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2013
5:44 AM

Post #9406686

In this part of the world last frost can be about Mothers day. I only "accidently" start anything from seed. Last year after tearing down a two foot retaining wall, a whole bunch of Wave Petunias reseeded in that area, it was GREAT! They came up way late in the summer but prospered and bloomed.

THIS year I hired a guy to cut sod and remove a strip over 5 feet side surrounding and bisecting my back yard. A friend gave me between 300 - 500 bulbs (hard to tell... she bought about 300 and some multipled in the ground in the 1 year + she had them before digging them and sending them to me.) My plan was to plant some of these bulbs in that new border but he didn't get it removing the sod done in time. I ended up having to temporarily plant most of them in my raised vegetable garden boxes so I didn't lose them. At least I HOPE I didn't lose them! I'lll know by April.

I'm living at a higher altitude than what I'm used to (about 2,500) and everything is later than what I'm used to.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2013
6:12 AM

Post #9406710

I know its beautiful there when you finally get Spring. Wow though...Mother's Day is a long time away!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2013
6:38 AM

Post #9406731

Great photos, David, and I do love how you restored the bunny. He's perfect! (Or is it "she" - I just never know.)

As the daughter of a roofer I can see the many uses for ladders now but couldn't see them when my dad retired!

I hope all those bulbs grow well for you, Pat. A field of any bloom is such a lovely sight to behold - check out today's Bloom of the Day!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296686/

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2013
6:56 AM

Post #9406758

Oh don't get me wrong, we'll have tulips and daffodils before the last frost. I just hate to invest money in plants and have me guess wrong on when it's "safe" to plant! I've had a few tulips even get "nipped" a little with a late frost. So I'm cautious with petunias and other annuals and try to not jump the gun. Many years I have thought "I'm going to start early and try seeds indoors". Never happens... or I neglect them, which is even worse!

I'm going to have to do "something" different this year. I've added several hundred square feet of flower beds and I sure can't afford to plant them all with periannuals that I purchase as plants! I might rough up the ground and scatter some poppies, allysum. Cosmos and other easy to start plants and see what fills in. I do have a few purchases planned. I'm going to build a "wall"/ backdrop of plants (Rose Sharon, a Knock out Rose or two, a lilac bush, etc) to futher bisect and define my yard. I will focus on the 1/2 I can see, someday the part I plan on ignoring will have a shop built on it (or not! LOL)

If I didn't work LONG hours to support a family, I could have drop dead beautfiul flower beds like I used to!! LOL My Ex is a chiropractor and we made good money, I hired the yard mowed and could afford to hire some help with a project occassionally, although I did all the flowerbed work myself. After the divorce and later remarriage, my 2nd husband has a lot physical limitations (and is disabled now) and is no help outdoors. All those factors limit my time and money, and hence the development of my current flowerbeds. Awwwwww but my husband is a keeper and I'd take him over any landscape!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9406766

WOW, those are wonderful! I'll have to watch that thread for more beautiful pics!

I've always had a thing for recycled/repurposed things. One of the things I miss about Boise Idaho was the bigger population to draw on for Craigslist and Freecycle. If I needed "entertainment" I could shop online for cheap/free things to repurpose. The kitchen cabinets in the studio we are remodeling were picked up free. LOTS of Garden Art... starting over is fun but sometimes I miss an item or two like my former ladders!
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

February 4, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9407974

Hi David!

I like your idea with ladders too.You are so creative!!

I must admit, I envy the bunny. I have always had a special bond with all critters (must be the Native American in me) and so anything like them, even in statue form - I love! I will certainly be watching for both ladders and critters. Maybe not for here as we are hoping to move in a year or two but I love the idea. I haven't tried it yet, and I don't know if you have, but in the mosaics forum there are many yard art pieces that people have done mosaic work on. I remember a snail and a turtle in particular that are awesome. That's something else I want to try but should wait unti we are moved before I start more stuff. That is my problem - too much "stuff".

As a photographer myself, I do want to say you do a wonderful job there too. The use of the filter helps draw the eye to the subject. Using it in the garden almost gives the feel of parting the tree branches and discovering a secret place. Great use of the tool used mostly for portraits.

Debbie

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9408250

Debbie,

I don't know if you ever got my comments on your beautiful pictures in some thread somewhere?
Just in case you didn't see the comments I made on them, The one with The duck spreading his wings was special! Crystal clarity...hard to do with moving critters...

I do like that effect i use as it centralizes attention on the subject.

I have too much stuff to I think sometimes...thats why so many of our American garages aren't used for cars anymore! Ha!

Have a good one! David

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2013
12:13 PM

Post #9408253

Ya, I don't even have a garage but let's face it, it would not house my car!!! Wish it could, especially when I get called in the middle of the night and it's frosted or snowed! I hate trying to clear the car.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9408276

Ha! Yeah your right Pat!

I make a mad rush to clear mine out and organize things when we get the freezes that we do get here often in Winter in Central Florida,... to save the plants. No cars in my garage either!... Ha! again...
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

February 6, 2013
2:53 PM

Post #9410504

Hi David,

Thank you for your compliment on my photos. I did see them on whatever post it was before and I appreciate it. Yes, catching moving objects with clarity can be tricky. It is much easier these days with digital because you can alter your asa speed where before with 35mm film, your film speed limited how well that would work. You also have faster shutter speeds these days. I must say I did well at it even back then. I have some awesome photos of NHRA races from coast to coast that were taken on my old Nikon FE 35mm camera long before digital and even before autofocus. I caught Big Daddy's Top Fueler standing up almost straight, on it's way over in the first of the blow-overs. That happened at the Summernationals in 1986 in a record breaking run (at that time) of 234 mph. I have many of them blowing up on the starting line in fireballs. I have one in flames as it crossed the finished line at 300 mph. All were done with manual focus and advance. So now, with digital and autofocus it is much easier to learn and do. I love it. I really miss not having any time to do what I'd like.

Oh and my garage...well I have a 2 car garage and it IS packed. But it is garage stuff. It's only for 2 cars, but I have my '71 Z28 in there, my Chevy Silverado truck I drive all the time, 2 motorcycles, the lawn tractor and all other lawn tools, plus 2 six foot tall tool boxes, the grill, a plow for the tractor, a stack of 5 extra wheels and tires for the Jeep. A set of 4 Cragars to sell, a engine stand (I had some boilermaker friends make me from chrome-moly when I worked at the oil refinery) hose reel and all that kind of stuff. It is FULL. My "stuff" is on the breezeway, the 2 spare bedrooms, and the basement which is 32x65 - all of those places have a lot of good useable things but also a lot of "stuff" I need to unload.

I am working on things though. Currently I have some clothes in bags to go to the women's shelter. I also cleaned out the linen closets (and also gathered from others) all unused, towels, sheets, blankets comforters etc to take to a non-kill, feral cat foundation.They use them to cover cages to calm down the trapped ones, they make bedding from them and also use wash cloths and smaller towels to wash and dry them when caught. There are 3 boxes and 2 bags in my truck (under the hard tonneau cover) to take to them probably next week. I also brought up 2 large trash cans of things I found in the basement that are going directly to the garbage can last week. An old well pump that was replaced, got dumped too. So I am trying to de-clutter when I get some time. We hope to move elsewhere in 1-2 years. What I can do now will be a big help when that time comes.

Well I'm babbling again and supper is done - gotta run. Have a great one -

Debbie

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9410693

Debbie, you will so appreciate all the work you are doing NOW when the time comes to move!! You go girl.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9410701

Pat is so right. I should listen to Pat! I will try harder myself.

Great hearing from you Debbie, and sounds like we all are kind of like minds on the clutter thing! Ha! Thanks.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2013
9:30 PM

Post #9410815

I got all excited when I realized... we have an attic... I could store a few things that I NEED to store but do not need ready access to. So I climbed up on the ladder and sooooo disappointed when I realized it was not a viable option.
1. the insulation extends above the stringers.
2. the way the supports are constructed do not lend themselves to being able to put flooring down and put much up there.
DARN!!! I had identified about 6 boxes of stuff that I could MOVE out of my living space and was so disappointed.

I was given a FULL set of these terra cotta angels an artist made. My Aunt had 1 of only 2 full sets in the US. Maybe someday I'll have a display shelf to put them on but for now they frankly are boxed and in my way.

My 30 year old son is living in China for the past 1 year (and has been overseas for the last 6) and asked me to store a "few things". Do you know how much room a king-size denim quilt takes up??? I should know, I made it for him at least 12 years ago! I should be pleased it meant enough to him that he wanted to hold onto it. Alas, it was one of the items going up in the attic before I found out NOTHING is going up there!!

8 Years ago I sorted and culled ALL of my Christmas stuff. I gave away more than 3 x as much as I kept. It felt so freeing to have reduced my load to just 2 boxes + plus the tree(and no the boxes were not HUGE! LOL) I've noticed it's being to "accumulate" again. I'm up to 2 trees and 4 boxes. *sigh* I'm a packrat, it's never going to change. "Hello, my name is Pat, and I'm a hoarder"

Am I EVER going to get all those jeans made into jean quilts? Probably not but I have made a few more over the last 3 years, there is HOPE!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2013
3:14 AM

Post #9410875

Ha! Ha! Ha! Pat. I could almost see your words!
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

February 7, 2013
6:58 AM

Post #9411012

Thanks Pat and David,

You are right and that is why I am trying to de-clutter now. The problem is multi-faceted. I get very little time because I care for a lot of people in my family, and what time I get I'm usually dealing with pain (a lot of my own problems) plus the "stuff" (and you know what word I mean instead of "stuff") is a LOT. The more I do, the easier I find it is to cull "stuff" but then there is the "good stuff". Not knowing what house we will be moving to, I don't want to sell or donate something I like but don't use now, only to find I may need it then. I have many limitations but keep trying to do what I can.

Have a good one y'all!

Debbie

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9411279

Yes, not fun in the waiting and looking to buy game... I understand not wanting to part with something I love and might have use for at "the next place"

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 7, 2013
3:38 PM

Post #9411453

Loved listening to the banter...love the garden art..

My gardens are a work in progress.

Pat I saved a lot of seed last fall, now if I can find it I could sent you some..much is for 2-3ft high..pinks/yellow..if interested, let me know

Love the ladder...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2013
6:03 PM

Post #9411584

Betty, that would be wonderful! I'm hoping this is the year I make some major progress in the garden.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 7, 2013
7:50 PM

Post #9411680

Have some swaps to mail out, will get a package together for you.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 8, 2013
5:17 AM

Post #9411832

I've been listening in on the garden talk Betty and Pat... Been getting everything cut back, cleaned out, trimmed and everything is blooming out and starting to grow like weeds. Have 12 trays of seeds started that will need to be moved up next week and have buckets of cuttings to pot up today... We've had an unusually light Winter. I think Spring plant sales may start early. Better yet!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 8, 2013
6:13 AM

Post #9411876

Well I'm glad you are able to take advantage of the weather to get an early start..as I sit here typing if I look out the front window a blizzard is going on, almost everything is closed, big sigh, no gardening for me likely until May!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
6:28 AM

Post #9411898

Same here!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2013
9:40 PM

Post #9412737

Ya, I spent way too many hours at work (13) and even had to warm my car to be able to see well enough to drive home. I am cold, hungry, and cranky. I would NOT want to be my DH today or the poor sap that gets me if I get called out tonight. I Sweetie started cooking as soon as I phoned to say I was headed home. Unfortunately ribs take 20 minutes after being brought up to pressure and we live less than a mile from work!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 9, 2013
5:34 AM

Post #9412861

Don't know how you guys do it! It is so hard for me to completely comprehend the Winter weather you have and are going through...just another month and a half and maybe this will be the last of the worst... Wishing you well.

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

February 9, 2013
6:51 AM

Post #9412938

The mornings got all the way down to the high 40s this week, but got up close to 80 around noon, my plants are budding & my mulberry tree is starting to fruit.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 9, 2013
12:03 PM

Post #9413202

Did a bit of shovelling this am before heading out shopping, thought we got about 1 1/2 ft of snow yesterday but more likely 2'

But I did go to Canadian Tire and ended up with 8 pkgs of Perrenials seed..closest to gardening I can get.

Lazy kind of day, should get up and do some sewing, or could just enjoy a movie and enjoy heat of the fireplace..

What to do/what to do. Lol

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 9, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9413297

Yes Betty.

There is some kind of magical cozy image that comes to my mind though when you talk of doing your craft sewing around a fire...

...You will likely be thinking of your this, and your soon coming gardens,.. and envisioning them as you sew.

The things you folk can grow up there when its growing season are special. Our climate has much beauty and yours is equally so. Northern Gardens are magical to me as Southern Gardens are to some...Its all good.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America