Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Oh Deer: Plant Suggestion’s needed

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 10, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NorthernWisc
Butternut, WI
(Zone 4a)

January 27, 2013
8:19 AM

Post #9398996

I will be starting my first planting season on my new property, having cleared pines and brush I have a blank canvas.

Plenty of rocks moss and at times misquotes and oh yes Deer.

Looking for some bursts of color and contrast thinking of some grasses and maybe plants like butterfly weed and daisy’s, perennials or self-sowing Natives that are deer resistant

Ordering seeds shortly and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9399471

Well, you can use all the deer resistant lists you want, but the deer do not read them, so may eat almost anything.

1) Do not put too much money into just a few species of plants. Buy a few each of many things. Then, when you find out what the deer in your area are eating, or not, repeat the order, and concentrate on the plants that have proven to be less palatable to your deer.
2) Older, more mature growth is more resistant. When a plant is deer resistant because of the oils in the plant it takes some some time for these oils to reach full concentration in the plants' new leaves. So the deer may nibble the new growth, but not the old.
3) Use a spray or other deer repellant when the plants are growing the fastest. Use other repellants to try to get them to not even enter the garden, too. Rotate the repellants, and keep them fresh. Deer get used to them, and the scent weathers, so suggests to the deer that the predator is not currently in the area.

Walk around your neighborhood and plant some of the same things your neighbors are planting. If the neighbors have to fence off certain plants, then avoid those plants.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9400029

Normally, plants with strong scents such as salvia and most herbs are not eaten by deer. I have lots of deer come through my property and I know from experience they will eat day lilies and azaleas to a nub. They haven't touched my wisteria at all. I have daffodil and iris beds along the driveway down close to the creek where they have quite a trail but they never touch them either. They also don't bother my spider lilies. I have lots of perennials all around the house but hubby had to put an electric fence all around them to keep the deer from coming right up to the house to eat them! There's really not a whole lot they won't eat if they're hungry enough. We keep a little peace between us and the deer by planting a food plot (clover and winter wheat) down by the creek which they visit every evening. We enjoy watching them, especially when the does bring in their little spotted fawns.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2013
8:33 AM

Post #9400071

Lilies of the Valley, Foxgloves (Digitalis) and Monkshood, all for shade, are plants they definitely won't touch because they are toxic. They seem to leave the perennial Cranesbill geraniums alone. In my experience they do eat not eat iris foliage, only the buds :-(. Daylilies, hosta and phlox are like candy to them.

As others have said, their appetites vary from region to region, so try to find out what neighbors grow.

Good luck!

Pam
NorthernWisc
Butternut, WI
(Zone 4a)

January 28, 2013
11:56 AM

Post #9400312

Thank you for your suggestions.

Pic from last night 1.27.13 out my bedroom window , The next Generation of flower munchers.

Thumbnail by NorthernWisc
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2013
5:01 AM

Post #9400984

Ummm, did you consider just making them a deer munching area? and letting it grow crazy... kinda like we plant sunflowers away from our gardens- to draw bugs AWAY from our gardens? It could be your designated 'wildflower' area...No, I don't know that it could help...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2013
5:50 AM

Post #9401028

No, they wipe it out. They eat and eat until everything is gone. A deer munching area is tall trees, mature shrubs eaten up to deer reach, toxic plants, and nothing else.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9401285

actually, trees new growth is what they hunger for, If they are munching trees, their natural forage is depleted, then as they starve on off, and die, the cycle of plants to support them restarts. It sounds as if your Game wardens aren't managing their harvests well enough...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2013
10:56 AM

Post #9401346

You try telling them... I

n Southampton, NY a beautifully landscaped property (my late mother's) was decimated over a period of about 5 years around the turn of this century. The population has not noticeably diminished, in fact now they bed down at one end of her 3/4 acre lot. I speak from experience...

They don't touch the Skimmia, Forsythia, Pines or Junipers. They only eat the early spring growth on the English Box shrubs, don't touch Korean Box. Azaleas are gone, also Weigela and others I've forgotten. Mature Glossy Abelias are nibbled up as high as they can reach, then spread at the top like umbrellas. I put in new ones, but they were annihilated overnight, not big enough. Rhodies too are nibbled up, also a formerly lovely Japanese Maple. They ate the buds off the peonies, then eventually the foliage diminished as well. Alchemilla and Nepeta survive. Astilbes, Heuchera gone. The fauns don't know what they aren't supposed to like, so they eat everything until they learn. And there are always new crops of fauns.

So again, there are differences in their habits in every region. See what is successful for the neighbors, check with local nurseries, and spray favorites. If you spray everything, they'll get used to it.

Good luck!

Pam

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9401399

NY, yeah. Too many bleeding hearts without a simple grain of brain and far too many couch potatoes being fed Bambi tales. Another tale of skewed mis intentions on fairy tales...
June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON
(Zone 4a)

January 29, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9401439

Shrubs that were not eaten in a deer-infested garden I had in PA:
Buddleia alternifolia
Buxus 'Green Mountain'
Caryopteris x clandonensis
Ilex opaca
Juniperus rigida
Leptodermis oblonga
Lychium chinense
Perovskia atriplicifolia
Potentilla fruticosa

Perennials: any that are prickly, poisonous, pungent, or hairy, or grasses.
Bulbs: Colchicum, Narcissus, Fritillaria, Allium, Leucojum.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America