Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
eblodgett53
Edwards AFB, CA

January 27, 2013
11:44 AM

Post #9399181

can i trim it back, would it hurt and tell me about caring for it and watering?

Thumbnail by eblodgett53
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9402584

I just noticed no one responded to your post and being a USMC dependent, I want to be sure you get at least some sort of answer. Please put the picture up on the cactus and succulents forum and ask them what it is? I think it is some sort of succulent or cactus but I am not sure. If that does not work, let me know and I will be happy to help you ID the plant on another group I belong to. Have a good day.
BTW I am just down the street from Joint Base McGuire, Dix and Lakehurst in NJ.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2013
11:14 AM

Post #9402630

Read here for information on your Hoya
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53915/

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2013
11:46 AM

Post #9402667

Is that a hoya?????? Wow, I am way off on that one. . At least you got an answer. ☺
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9403073

It is definitely a hoya. Dont' cut it back - you will cut off the growing tips and the peduncles. The peduncles are where you will get flowers.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2013
8:55 AM

Post #9403733

All the hoyas I have ever seen (and I just have not done hoya, but my friend has a collection of them) have the regular kind of leaves. Must be a different species. I think I may like to try them so now I will have to look into them. She was a fanatic about them, but as I said I only saw her regular leafed ones. What are they called? What are these curly leafed ones called?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2013
4:36 PM

Post #9404147

JB -

I had always heard it referred to as Hindu Rope. Apparently there are several different names. I know it comes in a variegated variety as well.

There is a winery we take our friends and family to when they are visiting and that winery has a huge Hindu Rope. I have seen it with gorgeous deep red blooms.

I have some of the regular leafed varieties of wax plants myself. I just love them and the flowers are really something to see.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9404156

I think it sounds really interesting. I would love to get some when the weather warms up. Too cold to ship just now. I found some scale in the house and the GH and I am in the process of throwing out a lot of plants mostly gardenias, because I am afraid to keep them in the GH since I get inspected by the State and if they see one live bug they shut me down until I get rid of them. It is soon time for inspections and I can not afford to shut down. I have too many plans for this year. Nothing is easy. I understand these plants we are discussing get mealy bug too. That is all I would need. I have no idea where I got the scale from but I would like to kill whoever sent it to me. Actually I think it was on a mandevilla I bought and they could have been eggs on it. I had that in the house for awhile then moved it to the GH. That is where I saw them first. I bought that from a very good supplier and would love to tell them, but I can not prove it. Besides, they can not help it if they were eggs and they could not see them. I wish all states were as strict as NJ and maybe that would help. But, individuals send plants all the time but that is not as costly since they are doing it as a real hobby. The majority of the other plants are just as clean as a whistle, just the mandevilla and the gardenias. Oh well, just another bump in the road of living in NJ. LOL If I was back in PA this would not happen. Hope your weather is better than ours. JB

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America