AuthorContent

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9399421

I have 6 "Drift" roses that I planted last February, and they haven't really lost any leaves for the winter. I wasn't sure if they needed pruning, like my regular roses, or are they considered "shrub" roses. Normally, I prune regular roses sometime in early February, but thought someone might have dealt with this and might have some suggestions for me.
teacup754
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9399452

Good question. My drift rose looks the best of all of my roses now. I planted it last spring and it was pretty this summer but seems to have really grown this fall and winter. It has several blooms right now. I was out this weekend looking to see what I needed to do on my other roses.I can see what they need, but I'm clueless about the drift rose. I hope we get some advice.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 27, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9399491

I have a couple of drift roses in containers. I tend to do almost nothing for my roses - mostly Old Garden Roses - and the drift roses seem to be okay with that too. I'm sure someone will let us know what really ought to be done.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2013
3:34 AM

Post #9403436

Drift roses, technically are shrubs. It's a matter of preference how you prune it. Shrubs, you usually take a third out when you prune. You can take half out, or go drastic and cut it way back. I don't have 'Drifts' but I have 'Carpets' (same category - groundcover shrubs) planted literally next to the sidewalk. I have to prune them heavily otherwise they will take over the sidewalk.

Thumbnail by Tex68
Click the image for an enlarged view.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2013
8:26 AM

Post #9403705

Tex68, good to hear from you. I've been wondering how you fared through Sandy. Lovely photo.

I've grown several of the "Pavements" (Snow Pavement, White Pavement, and Scarlet Pavement). They are classed as Rugosas but otherwise behaved like the "Drift" series from what I have seen of the Drift series. I just pruned out dead and/or crossed canes and anything that sprawled into a path. I thined them a bit more if I thought they were starting to look "heavy". Otherwise they kind of took care of themselves. The Pavement series was popular back in the 90's and I wish I had taken cuttings when I sold my old house and move here. They don't seem to be readily available anymore--which is a shame as I really like the little devils. Some of them go by different names now. I'll have to do some research...

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
3:06 PM

Post #9404045

Thanks so much, and they are behaving sort of like shrub roses, but I wasn't sure how to deal with them. I may just leave them to get a little bigger before I do much trimming.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 18 May 26, 2010 10:56 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America