Photo by Melody

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Time to Transplant????

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 4, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SBounds2
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
6:27 PM

Post #9399509

I have 2 pieris japonica, 2 azaleas and 2 soft caress mahonias to transplant. I live in zone 7a. I read somewhere that January is a good time to transplant shrubs in my zone. Is it too early to transplant them? When would be the recommended time to transplant them?

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2013
10:48 PM

Post #9399705

Well, the best time to transplant evergreen shrubs would be when the danger of a hard freeze is over. Deciduous is good now. If the ground is frozen, it's not such a good idea. I just planted a Dogwood today and a bunch of Camellias but then again we have barely had any snow.
SBounds2
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013
11:23 PM

Post #9399716

All of my shrubs are evergreen, but, of course, they are not conifers. We've virtually not had any snow, but we have had several freezes, primarily at night. The last 2-3 weeks, we've had 1-2 days of unseasonable highs each week alternating with average winter temps for our area. For example, the temp is 61 now and the high is predicted to be 75 tomorrow. Night temps for the rest of the week are predicted to be in the 30's but above freezing, except for Thursday when it is supposed to dip to 27. Day temps will be in the 50's and 60's except for Tues when it is supposed to be 48. The ground is definitely not frozen. Typically, we do not have freezes in April. Should I wait until then?

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2013
12:32 AM

Post #9399724

Well, I think you should be ok. The worst thing for an evergreen during the winter (other than a conifer) is the desiccating winds when it is below freezing. Freezing and thawing soil is hard on roots on a fresh transplant. If you know the plants came from a greenhouse or coldframe, you might want to keep them from below freezing temps and acclimatize them a bit.
frahnzone5
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9401175

If the shrubs are not too big (or you have really big pots) you can transplant them in the ground and then cover with a large pot to protect them from winter winds and minimize the temperature fluctuations that is so hard on the roots. Be sure to weight the pot down with rocks or bricks to keep it from blowing away.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America