Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: starting old spinach seed - cold water method

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mraider3
Helena, MT

January 28, 2013
3:08 AM

Post #9399762

Recently I came across a method of starting old spinach seed which recommended soaking the seed for 24 hours in a jar of cold water placed in the refrigerator for 24 hours; then drying the seed for 48 hours; and then placing the seed back in the refrigerator for up to a week before sowing. I tried this with some old spinach seed I had and was surprised to see all the seed germinate within three days. I also tried this method with some hard to start Maui pepper seeds and after one week I have my first sprouted seedling which is about a week earlier than expected. I have some Jade green beans which did not sprout last season and some four year old saved sugar peas to experiment with next. I am wondering if others here have tried this cold water method for old seed sprouting.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 28, 2013
8:25 PM

Post #9400836

No, never tried it but how do you know the seeds would sprouted anyway. If stored properly seed don't get too old to sprout. We would lose many plants if so. Seed sprout when conditions are right it is Natures way of assuring continuation of the specie.

Try Deno method---soaking overnight in hand hot water, then place in a 1/4th piece moist/damp kitchen paper towel. Many of us here on Daves do it that way. I do my daylily seeds that way. Check the seeds every couple of days. and when a root has formed, plant it in potting soil aiming the downwards.

Below are Columbine and Hibiscus seeds that sprouted in moist kitchen towel ready to be planted.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

mraider3
Helena, MT

January 29, 2013
4:09 AM

Post #9400959

blomma, no I don't know if the spinach seed would have sprouted anyway. As for the pepper seeds I know have about half of them sprouting which is better than the warm water method I have used in the past. I have some Johnnys Jade green bean seed left from a half pound bag I purchased last season and only go ten plants out of five consecutive plantings. All my other beans came up just fine. So I plan on experimenting with the remaining seed to see if I can get any of it to germinate. I will try the hand hot water method as well or Deno method as you call it. Typically I have done this method by leaving the cups of warm water on a grow heat pad over night.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America