Photo by Melody

Article: Mother of Thousands, Kalanchoe daigremontiana: Controlling the Population Explosion!: piggyback plant

Communities > Forums > Article: Mother of Thousands, Kalanchoe daigremontiana: Controlling the Population Explosion!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mother of Thousands, Kalanchoe daigremontiana: Controlling the Population Explosion!Replies: 2, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardengirl86
Middleboro, MA

January 28, 2013
3:32 AM

Post #9399776

Very interesting article. I have never seen this plant before. When I was younger a friend had a plant she called a piggyback plant, but it had leaves kind of like a maple tree and the babies came out where the leaf joined at the stem. Very interesting plant and so easy to start new ones. You just waited until the plantlet was big enough and hung by a 'thread', and then you just potted it up.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2013
5:59 PM

Post #9401930

Very interesting! I wonder what the botanical name is for that one? I always find it interesting how many completely unrelated plants may share the same common name.

mossbound
Annapolis, MD

January 30, 2013
8:55 AM

Post #9402489

I'm also familiar with the piggyback plant you described, gardengirl86. In fact, I'd love to have one again as they are pretty & intriguing. I bought mine at a nursery or Home Depot in Salt Lake City years ago when I lived there.

My ex-husband had the plant described in the article & called it Mother-of-thousands but quadrillions would be more accurate! He is known for his complete neglect of plants but he had them springing up everywhere around the mother plant & I & all his friends took home dozens of new plants to start our own colonies. They are fun plants, tho, & our kids found them interesting.

Good to know about the toxic quality, I wasn't familiar with it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mother of Thousands, Kalanchoe daigremontiana: Controlling the Population Explosion! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article! Sundownr 1 Jan 29, 2013 6:03 PM
I had one KyWoods 1 Jan 29, 2013 6:10 PM
Toxic? Thanks for mentioning! farmlife 2 Jan 29, 2013 6:09 PM
Watch out Florida FlaFlower 2 Mar 18, 2014 10:14 AM
Excellent article, very informative jrny 1 Jan 28, 2013 8:21 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America