Tulips in the South?

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

My husband bought me a grocery store pot of tulips. They are done blooming now. Will they survive over the summer or should I put the bulbs in the fridge? I'd like to see if I can get them to bloom again. Wouldn't their non FL bloom time be in the spring?

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi LAKelley, continue to water to tulips even though they're done blooming, and allow the foliage to die down naturally. This will allow the bulbs to store energy to bloom next year. You may also want to give them a dose of Bulb Food. Once the leaves die, remove the bulbs from the pot, remove the dead leaves and clean them, and store them in a cool place. They'll need to be chilled in the fall for at least 6 weeks in the fridge, then replanted, and you might get blooms again next year. Be sure not to store them in a fridge with fruits that give off gases.

Bulbs that are forced may not bloom well if planted in a pot the following year. If they can be planted in the ground, they may do better. Annette

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Cem9165!

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

I think you should post your ? In the Florida forum to get good feedback from gardeners w/ like conditions. I seriously doubt any tulips will flower more than once in your area.

I'm in z9a and treat tulips like expensive annuals. You are in z9b, so even less likely they'll b perennials

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yup, in z. 6 they often didn't come back!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I have Darwin hybrids and they come back and bloom every year without refrigeration. I'm in zone 10.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images