Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Root Vegetables Combine for a Warming Winter Stew: Is it soup yet?

Communities > Forums > Article: Root Vegetables Combine for a Warming Winter Stew
bookmark
Forum: Article: Root Vegetables Combine for a Warming Winter StewReplies: 2, Views: 6
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardengirl86
Middleboro, MA

January 28, 2013
3:41 AM

Post #9399780

When I was growing up, we were quite poor, so soup was definitely a staple in our house. My mother made soup about twice a week, so my siblings and I all love soup. I kept up the tradition with my own children and they, too, love soup.
Your soup sounds amazing, but where is the kohlrabi. You can't leave that veggie out when you are talking root vegetables. The only problem is that you can't peel them with a peeler; you need a sturdy knife. It is by far one of my favorite veggies. My husband and I discovered it while shopping for seeds for the garden one year. It was so interesting looking that we just had to have it. It's sweet taste, somewhere between a potato and broccoli is so delicious. Cooked texture is amazing, especially in layered casseroles. It is in the supermarkets now and cost about $2 for three good-sized ones. I always weight them to see just how much I am getting. Most bunches weight about 2 1/2 lbs., but I always manage to find won that weighs about 4 lbs. Give it a try, I'm sure you'll like it thrown into your soup/stew.
handymandy
Parry Sound
Canada

January 28, 2013
4:10 AM

Post #9399789

Also to thicken soup without adding flour take a mix of cooked veggies place in the blender until thick then return to pot stir it all up Viola!!!!! thick healthy soup no flour!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2013
8:54 AM

Post #9400106

Great tips!

I admit, I'm a little intimidated by kohlrabi. But next time I see them, I'll grab a couple... I love your idea of putting them in a layered casserole -- like scalloped potatoes?

Mandy, I did that recently with a bean soup I was making, and I loved the result! I admit with this kind of soup I tend to just throw in some instant potato flakes... but it would be tastier with a blended mix of veggies.

Thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Root Vegetables Combine for a Warming Winter Stew Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I share your soup disability sallyg 6 Jan 20, 2009 11:48 AM
I love soup from the garden! gessiegail 5 Jan 15, 2009 7:05 PM
Left over soup CountryGardens 2 Jan 15, 2009 7:06 PM
Soup phicks 1 Jan 15, 2009 7:06 PM
I'm headed for the kitchen right now Pamgarden 4 Jan 16, 2009 1:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America