Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Aroids: Pink Princess Philo

Communities > Forums > Aroids
bookmark
Forum: AroidsReplies: 9, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2013
9:41 AM

Post #9400160

I admit that I have not gotten the hang of exactly how to care for them yet. Some are doing ok, but most are not. Last pix makes me wonder. I have had all pink leaves before, but rarely and only 1 to a plant. This one has had 3 all pink leaves in a row and now, a white/green one. What's up? The other pix are some other plants and more or less what I normally get, leaf wise.

Thumbnail by gasrocks   Thumbnail by gasrocks   Thumbnail by gasrocks   Thumbnail by gasrocks
Click an image for an enlarged view.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

January 30, 2013
5:21 PM

Post #9403106

I have one of these but it seems a bit 'touchy'. Haven't had any all pink or all white leaves so far, the leaves are like your photos of your normal ones. Mine don't seem to like warm weather, and definitely don't like the sun on them. In the last photo the white leaf looks a bit damaged.
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2013
2:42 PM

Post #9615597

An update. This one is outside in the shade and insists on putting out only pure pink leaves. I have made it into a cutting. Will be interesting to see what happens next. Gene

Thumbnail by gasrocks
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 30, 2013
2:55 AM

Post #9616102

I had one few years ago but went to heaven so i didn't buy one again.

Belle
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 30, 2013
6:16 AM

Post #9616223

I had a different aroid I was growing from seed. A lot germinated but about a quarter/third came out white. After a couple of months all the white ones died. Which is logical, they can't photosynthesise and eventually "starve". Variegated plants that do survive usually have a reasonable amount of green.

My Pink Princess is going okay now, we've been having cooler weather and there's new growth. The leaves are still all the mix of colour.
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9616242

Yes, logical, must have some green to live. I could see the occassional white or pink leaf as being ok. My other Pink princess are doing ok or so. Doubt I'd ever buy another. I'll update this thread if anything happens. Gene
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 30, 2013
11:07 PM

Post #9617033

I'd like to get a few more going but I'll do it from cuttings. Just not sure when the best time would be.
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2013
5:01 AM

Post #9617146

Philodendrons do not have much of a dormacy perod. I'd think cuttings would be good anytime it is growing well.
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9664208

Update: cutting I made, branch with all pink leves did not root, just died. I am still waiting for Mom to put out something new where I took the cutting. Gene
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 20, 2013
4:34 PM

Post #9665465

Maybe layering might be a better way.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America