Photo by Melody

Article: English Ivy: Beauty or Beast?: Ivy A Federally Quarantined Plant

Communities > Forums > Article: English Ivy: Beauty or Beast?
bookmark
Forum: Article: English Ivy: Beauty or Beast?Replies: 2, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PattyH98
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2013
10:56 AM

Post #9400243

This is not a rant but a concern and a respectful call for change.
I would like to see all articles about quarantined plants, especially ones that are so broadly quarantined, include a clear warning to the readers put with the article if the article does not already include such warnings. Why? In the case of English Ive it is quarantined in the entire US and in at least parts of Canada and in many other countries as well. This means it is against the law to propagate it, transplant it or sell it and with very good reason. It causes a great deal of harm.

Just so you know I am not dissing the author Sharon Davis, who did a wonderful job on a lovely romantic and informative article about English Ivy, but calling for a needed change to get important legal information in front of readers who often are still ignorant of the nature and scope of damage this plant can create in part because writers and some editors do not realize how they can help and need to be helping to educate the public about these beastly plant invaders. And no I am not an eco-religous person who wants to do away with anything none native and force my garden morals on anyone but a very down to earth practical gardener who loves to encourage and educate others and see them succeed in their garden efforts! I have decades of experience and education on plants, their culture and gardening and a garden teacher/writer/blogger myself and honestly I was stunned when there was no warning accompanying Sharon's article. (To be fair it was written the year before the complete quarantine of ivy was put in place.)

I am not looking to argue or put anyone down but honestly desire to see Daven's Garden and those who write for this site do a better job of helping to warn and educate gardeners on the problems these veiled beasts truly are and that they can get in real trouble if they do not follow stated regulations regarding them.

Here is a link to a document on Federally quarantined plants.
http://library.state.or.us/repository/2009/200907280809252/ODA_PLANT_NURSERY_docs_pdf_nurs_import09.pdf

It may not seem like that big of a deal to some of you but I have been an educator in horticulture for several years and know how difficult it is for information to be absorbed by peoples and how much new gardeners appreciate really good information and often care about things like good and bad plants and want to know about invasive species. So please if you feel as I do would yous end let Dave know.

(We love ya Dave and everyone who writes those wonderful articles and love what you are doing here but feel some changes would better serve those who read what you put out there for us.)
Greenarte
Vancouver, WA

January 28, 2013
12:01 PM

Post #9400315

I heartily concur with your post! Gardeners in general tend to be people who care about their environmental interactions --knowing the full scope of any particular plant's habits and use is important.
In the Northwest, English Ivy is like Kudzu, a green wave smothering forest floors and choking tall trees. A lovely, lush, green disaster that most homeowners can't even identify, let alone handle properly. High maintenance/vigilance is required to keep it under control. (I will never use it and destroy it where ever that is permissable.)
Dave's Garden provides lots of great information. Any article on a species With Legal Issues should clearly include those issues or have some sort of 'Surgeon General' warning specific to the plant tacked on so folks have the full scoop.
Pinus
Boronda, CA

March 13, 2013
10:01 PM

Post #9448631

Thank you Patty H98. English Ivy here along coastal California is a bane: spreads vigorously and is utterly destructive of any and all oak understory vegetation through smothering. I agree that we should update our historic views and understand non-native vegetation in a larger context, especially what it does when it escapes from gardens. We gardeners should understand consequences of letting our pet 'genies out of the bottle'. Tough words, I know, but through my ecologist eyes I see no end of damage from destructive plants, some are still being sold in nurseries with no warnings. I have to speak up where and when I can.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: English Ivy: Beauty or Beast? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Ya did it again! A delightful article! Elena 53 May 28, 2009 11:20 PM
A Treasure postmandug 7 May 26, 2009 7:16 PM
mature and juvenile forms of ivy gloria125 15 Jan 28, 2013 7:50 AM
other ivies jrainger 2 Jun 2, 2009 5:19 AM
Great article dbelcher 1 Jun 13, 2011 9:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America