Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Fruit: my black berry patch

Communities > Forums > Beginner Fruit
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FruitReplies: 4, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Saint Peters, MO

January 28, 2013
12:11 PM

Post #9400322

I LIVE IN ST PETERS MO 63376, i have a blackberry patch where when it rains a lot water stands, i lost all my berries, noow i have made a raised bed for my triple crown blackberries and put a drip system out of pvc pipe. by the way my trellis i made from two inch pvc pipe placed every five ft. and six ft. high and four wires. this is the first year to grow and they are about three ft tall. my trellis is ankered at each end, what i want to know is have i done a lot of work for nothing or not i would like to know how much water will my berries need when it gets hot and dry, when my berries are putting on berries through picking time. i have mulched them to keep from freezing and to hold moisture. i do not have any pictures as of yet
Saint Peters, MO

January 28, 2013
12:15 PM

Post #9400325

can i get some advice about where to go from here

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2013
12:22 PM

Post #9400329

Yes. Click on 'communities' at top on the homepage. Next, hit 'forums', and join Vegetable Gardening.

These folk will help you!
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2013
4:41 PM

Post #9407363

I think you are doing well to improve the drainage in the area. A trellis system is really helpful to keep them under control.
If your area is dry all summer, they will probably need some deep soaking to produce the best fruit.
fordpickup
Clinton, IN

February 10, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9414342

Sounds like you are going strong .I love the triple crowns. Add some fertilizer a couple of times a year, cut the canes out that had the fruit. They say to leave 5 or 6 new canes on each plant, I usually leave about 8. Also trim to about 6 ft. high. The triple crowns put out a lot of runners here, I give a lot of plants away every year. Good luck . Fred

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Fruit Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blackberries, blueberries and strawberries... RyanandRachel 15 Mar 9, 2007 9:11 PM
Cuttings from Old Apple Tree wildgardengirl 4 Mar 16, 2007 4:08 PM
Strawberries HighCntryGrdnr 18 Sep 4, 2012 6:23 PM
wondering about the fig trees sslopoke 4 Apr 14, 2007 12:26 AM
Queen Ann Cherry Trees lafko06 1 Apr 16, 2007 2:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America