Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Mother of Thousands, Kalanchoe daigremontiana: Controlling the Population Explosion!: Watch out Florida

Communities > Forums > Article: Mother of Thousands, Kalanchoe daigremontiana: Controlling the Population Explosion!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mother of Thousands, Kalanchoe daigremontiana: Controlling the Population Explosion!Replies: 2, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL
(Zone 11)

January 28, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9400343

Nothing seems to kill it once it seems to take root, my neighbor has it and mows it over, it's like a blanket in his yard, I am costantly fighting the intrusion.
He doesn't seem to understand that aggressive tacktics need to be implemented in order to get rid of it instead of mowing it down and scattering the pieces all over just for them too root and make more.
I am sure his yard is a breeding ground for many unwanted plants growing in other yards...not to mention the type he has growing is just plain ugly!!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9401949

I've heard it IS terribly invasive in warmer climates. The fact that pretty much any fragment of any part of the plant is capable of rooting makes it very difficult to eradicate! Mowing probably is not the best control tactic. :)

FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL
(Zone 11)

March 18, 2014
10:14 AM

Post #9792289

It is the opposite of control for it here, it's a propagation method...the yard has been invaded even more now almost 100% covered in it a year later. I dug a small trench between the yards and I keep using preen there for the seed scatter and round up for the chunked up pieces he pushes around with his mower and I still find wayward pieces in my yard

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mother of Thousands, Kalanchoe daigremontiana: Controlling the Population Explosion! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
piggyback plant gardengirl86 2 Jan 30, 2013 8:55 AM
Great article! Sundownr 1 Jan 29, 2013 6:03 PM
I had one KyWoods 1 Jan 29, 2013 6:10 PM
Toxic? Thanks for mentioning! farmlife 2 Jan 29, 2013 6:09 PM
Excellent article, very informative jrny 1 Jan 28, 2013 8:21 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America