Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Beautiful Blue Sea Holly: Even in Zone 4!

Communities > Forums > Article: Beautiful Blue Sea Holly
bookmark
Forum: Article: Beautiful Blue Sea HollyReplies: 2, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kraybrower
Whitehall, MT

January 28, 2013
1:13 PM

Post #9400388

Thanks for show casing this plant, Toni. Just wanted to encourage zone 4 gardeners to try E. planum. I have been growing it here in Montana for years in my poor gravelly soil, with full exposure to sun and wind and little to no snow cover. It self-seeds regularly, but has not proven aggressive. It is very useful as a palette blending mid garden plant. The silvery foliage and understated blue flowers get along well with other colors, and the prickly texture offers year round garden interest. I especially value it in the winter garden, particularly with a dusting of snow to highlight its form.
CandiceKay
Centerville, SD
(Zone 4b)

January 29, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9401032

You answered my question. I was wondering if I should give it a try here in SE South Dakota; zone 4. I love blue flowers and it looks pretty tough to withstand our windy conditions. I'm going to give it a try.
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9409256

AND...deer hate it! LOL

Good luck!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Beautiful Blue Sea Holly Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sea Holly roserairie 5 Feb 23, 2010 6:43 AM
sea holly ozarker 0 Feb 23, 2010 4:34 PM
HELP gadzooks8 2 Jul 21, 2010 4:11 PM
Repeat blooming Oberon46 2 Jan 26, 2013 7:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America