Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Beautiful Blue Sea Holly: Even in Zone 4!

Communities > Forums > Article: Beautiful Blue Sea Holly
bookmark
Forum: Article: Beautiful Blue Sea HollyReplies: 2, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kraybrower
Whitehall, MT

January 28, 2013
1:13 PM

Post #9400388

Thanks for show casing this plant, Toni. Just wanted to encourage zone 4 gardeners to try E. planum. I have been growing it here in Montana for years in my poor gravelly soil, with full exposure to sun and wind and little to no snow cover. It self-seeds regularly, but has not proven aggressive. It is very useful as a palette blending mid garden plant. The silvery foliage and understated blue flowers get along well with other colors, and the prickly texture offers year round garden interest. I especially value it in the winter garden, particularly with a dusting of snow to highlight its form.
CandiceKay
Centerville, SD
(Zone 4b)

January 29, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9401032

You answered my question. I was wondering if I should give it a try here in SE South Dakota; zone 4. I love blue flowers and it looks pretty tough to withstand our windy conditions. I'm going to give it a try.
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2013
10:22 AM

Post #9409256

AND...deer hate it! LOL

Good luck!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Beautiful Blue Sea Holly Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sea Holly roserairie 5 Feb 23, 2010 6:43 AM
sea holly ozarker 0 Feb 23, 2010 4:34 PM
HELP gadzooks8 2 Jul 21, 2010 4:11 PM
Repeat blooming Oberon46 2 Jan 26, 2013 7:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America