Fragrant roses

Brooklyn, NY

What is your most fragrant rose for northeast gardeners?

Richmond, TX

When my mother grew roses in Massachusetts, I always loved the fragrance of Peace.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Im in Fl., but Tiffany would be my choice. I also have a real pain in the rear rose, Jude The Obscure, its smells so good tho. Its a rambling type rose.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Double Delight gets my vote for best fragrance.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I love love love DD too, I have trouble keeping it going down here. I have to keep buying a new one every three to four years. It smells amazing, and it is a 'looker' as well.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

I have the same trouble with it here. Too humid.

Brooklyn, NY

Thanks ever so much for your replies. I would like to recommend Sugar Moon hybrid tea. It fragrance is magnificent.

Kenner, LA

Here are my choices for South Louisiana - Double Delight, Sunsprite, Mr. Lincoln and Tiffany.

Encinitas, CA

I have a bunch of deliciously fragrant roses in my garden: Double Delight, Pope John Paul II, Julio Iglesis, Rock & Roll, Firefighter, Julia Child, and Lasting Love. Good luck finding some you like!

Pretoria, South Africa

Definitely Sharifa Asma and Towering Rose Magic. The fragrance on these two are to die for!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I've grown Sharifa Asma both in the Chicago area and here in Texas. Always the same fragrance and it will fill the yard!

Encinitas, CA

I just planted Sugar Moon and look forward to smelling it and enjoying its beautiful scent. I wish I could plant Sharifa Asma, but it just has too many petals for my garden which is close to the ocean. I have to stay at or below 45 petals or it just doesn't do well. Thanks for all the sharing!

Warrenton, VA

Jude the Obscure. It is absolutely intoxicating, and unlike any other rose scent, yet it is truly rose-scented, if this makes any sense. I bought mine through Heirloom Roses. My husband, new to gardening, cannot get his nose out of it.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Zephirine Drouhin, Constance Spry and Heritage. Alexander MacKenzie smells like raspberries (really) but it takes a long time to mature.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9b)

+1 for Heritage, gosh, it smells lovely.

Leesburg, GA(Zone 8a)

I'll have to go with New Dawn climber.

Mad

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Glad to hear that about Jude. I got it by mistake!

Deventer, Netherlands(Zone 8a)

My favorites are Apricot Nectar, Sutter's Gold, Arthur Bell and then, of course the traditional Gallica Officinalis. I use the petals of all of them for tea's and little open dishes.
I'm going to be looking up the one's I see mentioned above as I don't know most of them. Maybe they go by other names here.

Thumbnail by narmaj Thumbnail by narmaj Thumbnail by narmaj
Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I have many of the fragrant ones mentioned above. I think that Fragrant Plum should be added to the list for its aroma and beauty.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
Pocono Mountains, PA(Zone 6a)

Souvenir de la Malmaison is my most fragrant rose. Tiffany is my favorite hybrid tea, but she is a bit of a diva in my zone 6a garden. Many of the Austin roses are beautiful and fragrant. They can get big. If your part of brooklyn is like the old Norwegian neighborhood where I was born, you may not have room for a big rose.

My most fragrant flower is nicotiana. I start some every year from seed. They look nice with roses if you like a cottage look.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.