Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AnnFran
East Greenbush, NY

January 29, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9401106

If you read the blog: Getbusygardening (Get Busy Gardening) you will read the opinion that Winter Sowing improves germination plus yield. What's not to like about that? Why doesn't everyone do it for most of their seed? Curious. AnnFran
cytf
Staten Island, NY

March 7, 2013
10:31 AM

Post #9441886

I did winter sow the following lettuce that is already sprouting , also petunias, cornflower snapdragon, zinnias and marigold. Last year was my first with petunias and marigold I did not do too well but, snapdragons were good , I got a few seedlings that transplanted well in my garden

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9441999

Ann Fran, I think Winter Sowing is pretty user-intensive for some periods. Lots of people DO use it.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/coldsow/all/
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2013
6:54 AM

Post #9452172

I wintersow here but we don't always see much winter. I find I get excellent germination. I have gone so far as to mark the number of vegetables/herbs seeded on the container and count the seedlings just to see how the germination is... how's that for nuts!?!!

Anyway, one thing I have noticed is not all seeds germinate at the same time so will leave containers sitting after I move the larger plants up to a bigger pot. I will often have some late germinaters. It's a mystery but fascinating to me. If I dump the wintersowing soil into another pot and see volunteer tomato plants, I'll never know which seedlings they were. Thats why I leave the WS containers sit for a while longer.

The downside to wintersowing to me is I start too many seedlings and can't bear to discard them. If I were to go buy plants, I'd only buy what I needed.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America