Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Mother of Thousands, Kalanchoe daigremontiana: Controlling the Population Explosion!: Thanks for the article!

Communities > Forums > Article: Mother of Thousands, Kalanchoe daigremontiana: Controlling the Population Explosion!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mother of Thousands, Kalanchoe daigremontiana: Controlling the Population Explosion!Replies: 1, Views: 5
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SoooSirius
Municipality of Murr, PA

January 29, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9401179

Many years ago I had one of these in my apartment, upstate NY. In three years, in my east-facing big window it grew from a floor pot to the ceiling and then bent over and continued to grow. By the time it bloomed (and then died) it was ten feet of a single trunk. The largest leaves were 6 inches long. I had to take it to a museum to get it identified, though; the little grocery store where I had bought it in a 2 inch pot had no clue. Babies I hadn't noticed dropped and rooted right in the rug, and grew down into the foam padding. Now I know why the babies seemed to overwhelm other potted plants, chemical suppression! Fascinating, but I don't think I'd get another one.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9401935

That's amazing, that it was able to root right in the carpet with no actual soil! Although I do remember once my son spilled an entire seed packet of tiny, almost dust-like seeds in the carpet of our enclosed porch. Months later, the same son up-ended one of my watering cans in the same area, and I did get some interesting sprouts in the carpet! LOL I suppose that speaks to how infrequently I vacuum the enclosed porch, where most of my house plants reside.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mother of Thousands, Kalanchoe daigremontiana: Controlling the Population Explosion! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
piggyback plant gardengirl86 2 Jan 30, 2013 8:55 AM
Great article! Sundownr 1 Jan 29, 2013 6:03 PM
I had one KyWoods 1 Jan 29, 2013 6:10 PM
Toxic? Thanks for mentioning! farmlife 2 Jan 29, 2013 6:09 PM
Watch out Florida FlaFlower 2 Mar 18, 2014 10:14 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America