Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cacti and Succulents: Tall Sansevierias

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 10, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9401294

I now have (in my house) about 2 dozen types that are over 4 foot tall. I will be looking to add more varieties when it gets warm out (and I think it is safe to ship plants.) A search on Dave's and using Google did not yield much. Many are ID'd as grows tall and I am not sure I trust all sellers to describe correctly the plant they want to sell. Can someone provide a list of Sans. that do grow tall - let's say over 4' ? And/or a good link?

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 29, 2013
10:14 AM

Post #9401310

My favorite Sansevieria source: http://www.glasshouseworks.com/succ-s.html

I have a few growing outside, they even survived our recent cold snap. I used to have more, but many/most like our summers ever less than our winters...
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 29, 2013
10:18 AM

Post #9401311

Would love to see pictures of yours. I had no idea there were so many varieties that get that tall.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 30, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9403011

Is Glasshouseworks a good company? I've heard some people have had problems with them. Anyone order from them here?

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2013
4:28 PM

Post #9403037

Erm, apparently I have.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2013
2:34 AM

Post #9405623

I have a number of very tall Sansevierias myself, all abnormally tall thanks to a lack of light and all a form of a common species (or closely related). One of mine is over 5' tall- likely a variegated form of S trifasciata (one of the most commonly sold and grown succulent plants there are). Mine is outdoors but grows under an overhang and looks pretty happy and heatlhy (very hard to take a photo of thanks to its skinny and lengthy shape).

GermanStar

GermanStar
Fountain Hills, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 2, 2013
7:53 AM

Post #9405846

I prefer 'em short, myself. It seems that the taller they are, the more tender they are.
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2013
9:54 AM

Post #9405948

By tender do you mean less hardy? Mine are all house plants so I am not sure that applies. Wish someone could answer my original question - looking for a wish list, species to be watching for.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2013
5:37 PM

Post #9406406

sorry, my knowledge of actual species of Sansevierias is pretty limited.. not even sure where to find the info on that. I think the plants you have are 'artificially tall like mine are and not really supposed to get that tall (in nature almost all would be outdoors in the African plains somewhere, and much shorter), so finding that information would be next to impossible. You can simply peruse the Sansevierias in Davesgarden plant files and all the plants listed as 3' tall or taller would probably be even that much taller indoors or in low light situations. But plants that tall are probably less structurally sound and more likely to bend or break with time. Mine are relatively young plants, but I will not be surprised to see them crack or bend in the middle soon.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9411613

Gasrocks ~ I will agree with others that your Sans are probably a bit taller than normal due to better growing conditions and insufficient lighting than received in the wild.

If you are up to perusing some links, these (and more) can be found on the sticky at the top of this forum.

These are a couple of references that are NOT selling Sansevierias.
http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/Foliage/folnotes/sansevie.htm
http://www.sansevieria-international.org/species_cultivars.htm

I am one that was a bit unhappy about GHW. They took my order, then apparently took cuttings and delayed shipping too long while the plants rooted. The plants did not get established before I had to leave town for 10 days. Two of the three plants did not make it. Now I will clarify, these were not succulents.

This link is to an older thread where members added favorite mail order companies http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/922593/

I will be curious to see what you find for an ID. Kristi
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2013
11:36 PM

Post #9411749

Thanks for the help. No, my plants are not tall because they do not get enough light and/or are stressed. I am not talking about common Tri. varieties but the many other species that do get tall. Saw a pix of some over 12 foot tall but, of course, cannot find that page again. Stuckyi is one I do have.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America