Photo by Melody

Article: Ask-a-Gardener: Your Gardening Questions Answered: Seed question

Communities > Forums > Article: Ask-a-Gardener: Your Gardening Questions Answered
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ask-a-Gardener: Your Gardening Questions AnsweredReplies: 5, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
3pmp
Slocan, BC
(Zone 3a)

January 29, 2013
10:52 AM

Post #9401340

Hi Melody, I talked with someone recently in my area who says that if you plant pumpkin seeds in the spring you should put the dried seeds in the refrigerator for one month to go through a state of dormancy before putting them in the ground in the spring. I only had one plant last year from all of the seeds that I planted so I hope to have more this coming season to make up for last year.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
11:42 AM

Post #9401393

As far as I know, pumpkin seeds do not need to be stratified. (a cool dormant period)
I've never done this with any squashes.(pumpkins are just big squashes...Cucurbita pepo)

The pumpkin seeds should be mature, clean and dry before storing them for the winter in a temperate dark place out of reach of moisture or mice.
3pmp
Slocan, BC
(Zone 3a)

January 29, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9401444

Hi Melody, When I plant the seeds in the soil should I put anything extra in the mix to help the seeds along to have a better chance of germinating.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
1:12 PM

Post #9401578

No, warmth and moisture are the only things you need.
Each type of seed has its own requirements concerning temps.
3pmp
Slocan, BC
(Zone 3a)

January 29, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9401597

I was also thinking of purchasing a starter kit for tomatoes to plant them in the container at the end of February or 1st of March. Do I still have plenty of time for the plant to grow enough before transplanting them to the garden when they are big enough to be transplanted.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
1:42 PM

Post #9401617

Count back from your expected last frost date. Tomato seed should be planted between 6 and 8 weeks from setting in your garden. You're not really gaining much by planting them earlier. My last frost date is around the 15th of April so I don't start my tomato seed until the last week of February. Living indoors stresses the plants and so don't keep them under lights for any longer than you have to.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ask-a-Gardener: Your Gardening Questions Answered Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hi Melody Rose! truckerbabe 2 Jun 7, 2013 8:44 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America