Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Houseplants: Mail Order Dieffenbachia-how can I help this plant!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 1, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dead_thumb
Lenexa, KS

January 29, 2013
11:04 AM

Post #9401358

I ordered a beautiful Dieffenbachia online. It came very well packaged, and arrived 3 days after I ordered it. It is quite tall, and has several shoots that look like they could be repotted in their own pots. A couple of the leaves look a little yellow, could be stress from being shipped. It also has flowers on it or seed pods or something which I have tried to show in the photo. I haven't done anything with it except set the small pot in a larger pot to prevent it from falling over because it is very top heavy. As you can see i'm holding it up in these pictures. I have several questions:

1) It was listed as Memoria Corsii Dieffenbachia. Is this the same as Tiki? Pics look similar.

2) Does it have any special requirements?

3) Should I re-pot? Pot looks very small to me and definitely cannot stand on it's own. It is a 4" pot.

4) If or when I re-pot should I separate it into two pots? And if so what size pots should I use?

I am very bad with plants. I love them to death. I am not going to do anything with this plant until I get some advice because I want very much to keep it alive. The only plant I can seem to keep alive is a nerve plant that is in my bathroom, and from what I understand those are not the easiest! Maybe there's hope for me yet!

Thank you for your time!

Thumbnail by dead_thumb   Thumbnail by dead_thumb
Click an image for an enlarged view.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2013
6:40 PM

Post #9403234

I think it would be a mistake to repot now - especially if you aren't very experienced at growing plants. I'd wait until Jun, then bare-root it and pot up into a pot slightly larger than the one it's in now - unless you decide to make your own soil that holds little excess water, in which case you can pot it in a much larger pot (where it will grow much faster) without worrying about the soil remaining soggy for so long it affects root health/function. Winter and early spring are the worst times to do repots for most houseplants. Potting up (different than repotting) isn't as traumatic, but when you go larger in pot size you have excess soil holding excess water. Roots grow slowly in the winter because plants are lethargic, so it's easy to get into water retention problems.

Al

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America