Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
raven_nevermore
Milwaukee, WI

January 29, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9401367

This plant was only labeled "succulent." When I first bought this fuzzy light green plant it stood up straight and soon after began to droop. I thought it was dying, but it's been living this way since last summer. Not sure if it's supposed to look like this or not because I don't know what it is! As you can hopefully see in the pictures, it has little string-like things growing off the stems. Any help is appreciated!

Thumbnail by raven_nevermore   Thumbnail by raven_nevermore
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Vestia
San Francisco, CA

January 29, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9401431

it may be Sinningia tubiflora
SoooSirius
Municipality of Murr, PA

January 31, 2013
10:29 AM

Post #9403803

Hi Ravennevermore,
What you see as little string-like things are aerial rootlets - the plant grows these to get extra nourishment and because it is flopping over. Where they touch the ground they will root and help the plant to spread - a reproduction strategy. They do not harm the plant, and it's okay to let them dry up as long as the rest of the plant looks fine.
This plant looks a little like Kalanchoe eriophylla, a fairly common plant often labeled as "succulent". It does seem to have a drooping or trailing habit.
It may be flopping over because it isn't getting enough strong light (not direct sun) or it could be the above-mentioned Siningia.
I would give it more light (not direct sun) and perhaps a mild fertilizer in the spring and see if it gets greener or blooms.
Kalanchoes have flowers with 4 distinct petals, sinningias have tubular flowers with fused petals of varying numbers.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
7:51 PM

Post #9404378

That's funny, while I was looking this up for you someone came along with the same conclusion. Kalanchoe eriophylla.
It does appear to need more sun and you will be able to tell for sure what it is when it blooms.
raven_nevermore
Milwaukee, WI

February 1, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9404852

I looked up Kalanchoe Eriophylla and I think you guys are right. It seems healthy besides the flopping over. I'll probably repot it in something bigger in the spring. As far as light goes; it always stays on the window sill and gets as much light as it can during these short overcast winter days. Maybe I can take it outside over the summer and that will help.
Thanks for the help!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America