Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Masquerade pepper plant

Milwaukee, WI

I've had this Masquerade pepper plant since last August or September and after a while the peppers started shriveling up like this. I didn't except them to live through the winter, although I am keeping them in a pot indoors- which I haven't heard of anyone keeping these as a houseplant, so I'm hoping it will survive. My question is: Is there something I should do to help new peppers grow in the spring? Should I eventually cut the shriveled ones off? If so, when should I do this?

Thumbnail by raven_nevermore Thumbnail by raven_nevermore
Opp, AL(Zone 8b)

The seeds should be ripe at this point.

Milwaukee, WI

So what does that mean I should do?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Cut the pods off . let them completely dry, remove the seeds plant when you need new plants. You may need to repot and ferilize your plant this spring. It should keep going for a while.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Agreed, remove the shriveled pods. With peppers, you need to remove the old peppers so the plant can "gear up" for a new set of blooms....like deadheading flowers from other plants....you remove the old so the new can form.

Follow FarmerDill's advice for saving seeds for new plants

. We have had pepper plants last a few years by removing the peppers as they ripen....it is the nature of a plant to flower and then "go to seed". if the flowers/fruit are left on the plant, it's job is done, so to speak. Removing them will encourage the plant to keep producing.

Milwaukee, WI

Thanks alot! Where should I cut them off? On the stem right under the pepper or should I try to pull them off leaving the stem behind?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Cut the stem! anywhere between the plant and the fruit is ok.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.