Photo by Melody
We want to hear from you! Please take this short, anonymous survey to help us improve the DG home page.

Beginner Gardening: Masquerade pepper plant

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening
Forum: Beginner GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
Milwaukee, WI

January 29, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9401382

I've had this Masquerade pepper plant since last August or September and after a while the peppers started shriveling up like this. I didn't except them to live through the winter, although I am keeping them in a pot indoors- which I haven't heard of anyone keeping these as a houseplant, so I'm hoping it will survive. My question is: Is there something I should do to help new peppers grow in the spring? Should I eventually cut the shriveled ones off? If so, when should I do this?

Thumbnail by raven_nevermore   Thumbnail by raven_nevermore
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2013
7:05 AM

Post #9403594

The seeds should be ripe at this point.
Milwaukee, WI

January 31, 2013
10:29 AM

Post #9403802

So what does that mean I should do?
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9403958

Cut the pods off . let them completely dry, remove the seeds plant when you need new plants. You may need to repot and ferilize your plant this spring. It should keep going for a while.

Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9405848

Agreed, remove the shriveled pods. With peppers, you need to remove the old peppers so the plant can "gear up" for a new set of deadheading flowers from other remove the old so the new can form.

Follow FarmerDill's advice for saving seeds for new plants

. We have had pepper plants last a few years by removing the peppers as they is the nature of a plant to flower and then "go to seed". if the flowers/fruit are left on the plant, it's job is done, so to speak. Removing them will encourage the plant to keep producing.
Milwaukee, WI

February 2, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9406274

Thanks alot! Where should I cut them off? On the stem right under the pepper or should I try to pull them off leaving the stem behind?
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2013
3:22 PM

Post #9406283

Cut the stem! anywhere between the plant and the fruit is ok.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America