Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Root Vegetables Combine for a Warming Winter Stew: Soup from the garden

Communities > Forums > Article: Root Vegetables Combine for a Warming Winter Stew
bookmark
Forum: Article: Root Vegetables Combine for a Warming Winter StewReplies: 1, Views: 1
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Bellababy
Bend, OR

January 29, 2013
6:37 PM

Post #9401979

While soup is the easiest thing for me to make and store in the freezer, there's nothing like garden vegetables because they taste so much more better! Root vegetables are the absolute ingredient. What's so nice is when we want an easy dinner, so we grab the soup out of the freezer, thaw quickly and make sandwiches. Quick and painless. I have never added radishes, but that's a thought. And don't forget the french tarragon in chicken soup...a must!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2013
7:02 PM

Post #9402016

My first few attempts with root veggies here weren't the best, but I think our garden soil is much better now, both in terms of pH and in organic content. I'll have to try again! You're right -- nothing beats garden fresh.

Frozen garden herbs also add a lot to winter soup as well as to spaghetti sauce & the like.

I've killed a couple of tarragon plants, but I've since discovered they need a little "mound" to sit on so they have perfect drainage. I'll have to try that again, too!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Root Vegetables Combine for a Warming Winter Stew Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I share your soup disability sallyg 6 Jan 20, 2009 11:48 AM
I love soup from the garden! gessiegail 5 Jan 15, 2009 7:05 PM
Left over soup CountryGardens 2 Jan 15, 2009 7:06 PM
Soup phicks 1 Jan 15, 2009 7:06 PM
I'm headed for the kitchen right now Pamgarden 4 Jan 16, 2009 1:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America