Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Houseplants: Upon further examination

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 7, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dead_thumb
Lenexa, KS

January 29, 2013
8:54 PM

Post #9402124

So earlier today I posted a few questions about my new dieffenbachia along with two pictures. One of the things I wanted to know was if it should be potted up, due to the very small size of the pot, (4") in relation to the large size of the plant. The pot falls over, and I had to put it in a larger heavy pot to hold it up. Later in the day, upon further examination of the plant I pulled it from it's pot to see if it looked like the plant needed to be potted up of if it would be ok until the spring. As you can see from the picture it looks as if the roots could use a but more space! So, to recap, got the plant yesterday, worried about it all night and day today, and now I'm considering re-potting. Any advice?

Thumbnail by dead_thumb
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9402629

I would definitely re-pot,I would only go up 1-2 sizes larger than the pot it's in, try not to disturb the root system to much.. Others will have more advice for you...
dead_thumb
Lenexa, KS

January 30, 2013
11:27 AM

Post #9402642

Would you recommend untangling those big fat roots a little and spreading them out in the soil in the new pot?

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9402771

dead_thumb, I'd be afraid to mess with the root system, Why dont you wait until someone with more knowledge gives some advice. I'll be learning right along with you.
Christine

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2013
6:45 PM

Post #9403236

I wouldn't repot now. See my reasoning at your other post: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1295921/

Your plant is not in any immediate danger, and by potting up or repotting, you're more apt to run into problems (because of the timing) than be a beneficiary. If it was June, I'd be all for suggesting a very fast draining soil and a significantly larger pot, but your plant will be much easier to care for, and it will be harder to make a mistake, if you leave it in its current pot until June.

Al
dead_thumb
Lenexa, KS

January 30, 2013
8:35 PM

Post #9403351

I am not doing a thing to this plant until late spring. I've done what I thought made sense with plants in the past, and they all died! Thank you for the advice.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2013
5:22 AM

Post #9403499

Thanks Al, I knew my advice wasnt totally correct because I remembered back in my head somewhere, about disturbing the root systems during winter... Al to the rescue and he scores and saves a plant again!!!
Christine

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2013
11:53 AM

Post #9403878

Sometimes it's easy to take what I say as an absolute. If we were having a conversation where we could bat ideas around, this issue would emerge as a very good guideline with just a hint of grey area around the edges. An experienced grower who is aware of the dangers of over-potting could easily pot up a size and all would be well; but because growth is so slow, and this plant in the pot it's in will be very hard to over-water, it just makes sense not to even pot up at this time.

There is little question that a full repot, which includes bare-rooting and a complete change of soil - along with any root pruning that might be appropriate, should probably be done just before the plant is entering into its period of most robust growth, so late Jun or early Jul, for most of the US. Taking advantage of the plant's natural growth rhythms so the plant recovers in the shortest time leaves the plant less susceptible to insect predation and diseases (due to a depressed metabolism during the recovery). Repotting now would leave the plant weakened for months, where repotting in late Jun-early Jul would have the plant fully recovered and putting on new top growth in a couple of weeks. It's just one way of learning how to work in harmony with your plants instead of going about things haphazardly. Kind of like Do it when it's the right time instead of when you have time.

Al

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America