Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Begonias: Is this the correct ID please

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 9, Views: 186
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WelcomeGnome
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9402553

I have three begonias and love all of them. I'm quickly finding that they are indeed one of my favorites. I think I've IDed one positively (Begonia soli-mutata) from one of the threads. The other is another type of rex (no idea yet, it's pinkish) but I can't find this one or am unsure.

So far from research in the plant files I've at least gathered that this is a cane type of begonia. I got it as a one stemmed tiny plant with two leaves and my bad boy has blossomed into a beauty. I usually just hear it called a dragon-winged begonia. However, when I search that a lot of angel-winged begonias come up. But research doesn't really provide me with pictures of the same plant. The closest I've come to on the plant files has been this one. Is it right? I noticed mine has a lot more spots?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/194418/

I know it's probably a simple ID I just can't find it. Thanks!

Thumbnail by WelcomeGnome
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9403209

If yours had more silver streaking in it, I would say it is Sophie Cecile for sure.

What kind of light is yours under?

Here is an example of Sophie for comparison.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole   Thumbnail by hcmcdole         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

WelcomeGnome
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9403699

Oh, I think you're right! Mine was in the back room I think they are like 60 watt bulbs (3 per fan, 3 fans).

I constantly refer to him as a "he" which is funny that it has such a girlish name. Looks like I'm going to have to give him a gender swap. :D

Everything matches, from the tall height (I think mine's almost four feet now, maybe a little smaller) to the burgundy under leaves and jagged edges. So it is an angel wing?

Is there a difference between an angel wing and dragon wing? Or is it that most are angel wings and some just call them dragon wings?

Thanks again, hcmcdole!
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2013
4:57 PM

Post #9404168

Angel Wing is just a generic term for a lot of begonias while Dragon Wings is a registered name for a particular cultivar. If you do an image search for both you will see what I just said.

LABegoniac
Choudrant, LA

February 21, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9426600

Actually, this could be one of many, many Cane-type begonias known as Superba's. True, it looks like B. 'Sophie Cecile', but please don't put that name on it until that ID can be verified by more than iding an internet photo! Too many begonias have been misnamed this way! Here is B. 'Irene Nuss' another look alike

Thumbnail by LABegoniac

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2013
1:59 PM

Post #9426973

There are probably so many naming mistakes around the world that I doubt one more would make much difference in the grand scheme of things. It's terrible when nurseries make mistakes (maybe honestly) but when you point it out to them on the mistake and they stick to their guns (or stick their head in the sand) then what else can you do. A hobbyist on the other hand...

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

WelcomeGnome
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2013
3:49 PM

Post #9428233

Thanks for the input, Begoniac! I don't know, after HC showed me, I really thought it was it. I researched the Sophia Cecile pretty well after HC suggested it. My type matches with all the pictures and descriptions I found. I like the Irene Nuss and while it does seem to have the similar leaf pattern that one doesn't have any type of silvering that mine shows.

Unfortunately most of my ID's stem from internet findings and researching as a lot of places are so general with their names. It's really all I have as far as IDing. :(

I attached a couple more pictures, what do you think?

The first one is flash on, second is flash off and third is the underside of the leaf.

I can always tell people that I THINK it's a Sophia Cecile. I don't have any plant friends, they won't know any better. :D

Thumbnail by WelcomeGnome   Thumbnail by WelcomeGnome   Thumbnail by WelcomeGnome      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

WelcomeGnome
Montgomery, AL
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2013
3:57 PM

Post #9428247

Or it can just take my pictures and put them in any order it wishes.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9607266

Take a look at dragon leaf Gryphon, and see if it matches any of yours.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9607326

Definitely not Gryphon. Here is Gryphon.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America