Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Forest floor plant. Resembles a fern with tuberous roots.

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SilkKnoll
Tuskegee, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9402924

I found this at the top of a creek bank in a dense oak-pine forest in east central Alabama, zone 8a.

As you can see in the pics, its single leaf is dissected, resembling a fern frond. It is lighter green near the central veins. Unlike a fern, the leaf and petiole are herbaceous.
There are no spore sites on the underside, of course.

There is an older stem attached, perhaps of last year's leaf or possibly a bloom or spathe.

It has a short rhizome with radiating tuberous roots with little branching.

The rhizome is somewhat fragile; part of it broke off as I was digging it up. I held the pieces together for the photo of the roots. I included the broken piece in the fourth picture, showing the underside of the leaf.

It was growing in a deep layer of decomposing leaves in early December.

I potted it in a similar medium (with the broken rhizome to one side, in the hope that it will produce another plant) and put it in a shady spot. A month later, it looks unchanged.

The rhizome and roots and the solitary leaf remind me of Jack-in-the-pulpit (Arisaema). Colonies of Jack-in-the-pulpit grow nearby in the same material, but they are dormant now. Perhaps it is an estivating relative that grows in the winter and is dormant in summer, like Arum italicum.

I would love to know more about it.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2013 6:33 PM

Thumbnail by SilkKnoll   Thumbnail by SilkKnoll   Thumbnail by SilkKnoll   Thumbnail by SilkKnoll
Click an image for an enlarged view.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9402986

Botrychium?
bryan3
Brunswick, GA

January 30, 2013
3:56 PM

Post #9402989

It is a fern. One of the "succulent ferns"...looks like a Cut-leaf Grape Fern Sceptridium/Botrychium dissectum var. obliquum.
SilkKnoll
Tuskegee, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9403058

This is new to me and a fascinating and beautiful plant.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/66168/

Thank you for your help!

This message was edited Jan 30, 2013 7:48 PM
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 30, 2013
5:27 PM

Post #9403117

Any chance it could be Rumohra adiantifolius aka common Leatherleaf Fern that florists use ?
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9403163

JasperDale wrote:Any chance it could be Rumohra adiantifolius aka common Leatherleaf Fern that florists use ?

Unlikely as Rumohra adiantifolius is not found north of Florida according to PLANTS.
Botrychium spp. however are rather common in much of the SE US.
There is a close resemblance because they're related (Polypodiaceae family).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America