-
AuthorContent
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2013
5:55 AM

Post #9403530

Woke up this morning to .2" of rain and was horrified to find my 4 GH's that I had connected with wire last year all lifted together and blown over by last night's 60 mph winds gusts. Timing couldn't be worse as temps are forecast to dip to 30f tonight and 21f tomorrow night. Having visions of Edvard Munch's Silent Scream painting. How is your GH, MmeX?

Thumbnail by donnacreation   Thumbnail by donnacreation   Thumbnail by donnacreation   Thumbnail by donnacreation
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Entlie
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9403536

OMG! So sorry. If I lived close I'd come to help. We had lots of wind and the power went on and off, but I don't have a GH.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2013
6:13 AM

Post #9403550

OMG! That's awful! With mine being surrounded by a fence on two side and tied down with those auger type dog ties, mine didn't move .. even when I had it open yesterday! The strongest thing you can use are small mobile home augers - you'll want to set them before putting the greenhouse back since it takes forever to screw them down .. my main greenhouse is tied down with 4 of those. If I lived closer I'd be up there in a heartbeat to help get things back together!
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9403552

Thanks, Entlie, for the kind words. Just went back out and discovered 2 of them are terribly bent. Think I'm going to move everything indoors and live in a crowded jungle until mid March. Gotta admit, I shed a few tears of grief and utter frustration. Later this season, I will have them all connected to the barn so this never happens again.
hoitider
Emerald Isle, NC

January 31, 2013
6:20 AM

Post #9403559

I know how i would feel if it happened to me,all the hard work in growing them and then putting them in the green house only to have this happen. I keek all my banana plants in a garage I have seperate from my house no heaters, in my sun room 12 by 14 I keep all my new baby alocasia and colasia which are still growing in pots,as well as my mandevills and new twisted hibiscus,also agaves,just use a floor electric heater and every morning check to see if it went out, in my poll bath room i keep tropical water liltes and colocasia still growing this is heated by main heating system in my house, then I have a 12 by 12 room heated with electric heaters,all tge plants are doing well, I would love to have a green house like yours but the wind factor here on the island would tear it up. Shure hope you can salvage some of your plants LOL
as
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2013
6:26 AM

Post #9403563

Thanks, MmeX! So glad you properly anchored your GH. My GH's are on a cement former basketball court, and I was told they couldn't be anchored to the cement. Must check out mobile home augers and reorganize my back porch so I can cram everything inside for the rest of this winter. Hurry up spring!!!!!!
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2013
6:29 AM

Post #9403566

Sounds like you have a great system, hoitider. Thanks for your concern.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9403637

Phooey .. I don't see why you couldn't drill a hole in the cement and set big eye hooks for tie downs.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
3:08 PM

Post #9404051

OMG, I would have had apoplexy. My heart goes out to you. If you lose anything remember to just ask, I have lots to share.

The wind has been fierce but my frost cloth is holding out so far. I have it weighted down with flower pots and whatever. I was sure it would go airborne but so far we are OK.
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2013
8:22 AM

Post #9405865

Thanks, ardesia. I did have a hissy fit and screamed a lot, but I managed to move most stuff on my backporch, which is now so crowded it's impossible to get to the back door, as well as my washer/dryer and freezer. Trying to water everything is going to be interesting. I did leave 6 ixoras, 2 lg cardboard cycads, 4 pigmy dates, 2 lg containers of rooted plants, and 10 hibiscus plants to die in last night's 19 degree cold. I just didn't have the energy to move anything else.

Before next winter, I'll have the GH's up again and properly secured. I didn't protect my out of zone queen and date palms this year, but I think the date palms are going to be okay. The queen palms were still nice and green yesterday, but I don't think they're going to survive last night's cold. My days of buying out of zone plants are over.-)

So glad everything is safe and warm down your way. Thanks again for your concern and kindness.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9408602

Wow! Now that sucks!
How did things fair? I have a cardboard palm and it got a lot of brown on it when the temps got down into the high 20's.
Barb
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9409305

Hi Barb. All of the plants I left out when temps dipped to 19/20f are dead or dying. I learned it doesn't take much cold to damage Cardboard plants and Ixoras. On a more upbeat note, I'm amazed that my unprotected date palms look great. The Queen palm planted just outside my backporch looks pretty good, too. Washingtonias also look good w/o protection. Would love to find a filibusta hybrid, but so far no luck. Anyway, thought I'd post a few pics of the out of zone palms.

Thumbnail by donnacreation   Thumbnail by donnacreation   Thumbnail by donnacreation   Thumbnail by donnacreation   Thumbnail by donnacreation
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2013
12:27 PM

Post #9409342

Ack! Hopefully some that you lost will come back from the roots .. otherwise, make a list of what you lost and if I have any of it I'll be happy to replace it.
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2013
12:34 PM

Post #9409354

Pay no attention to the background debris.-) The xmas lights are from last winter - someday I plan to remove them.
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9409359

Thanks, MmeX. I'd be happy just to meet w/you and have lunch.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9409556

Don't toss the cardboards yet, as long as the cone is firm they should be fine. There re some beautiful specimens in Georgetown.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
3:16 PM

Post #9409562

Although it's not what you wanted (of course) it will be interesting to see how the different palms fair.
We got down to 28 three nights ago, so I had covered my cardboard with a cotton blanket and sheet. The fronds against the house have no damage, the fronds on the outside look to be pretty much goners.
My queen palm in the backyard has one frond that's going dead, but the rest of it just has some minor tip damage.
Barb
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9409667

Wow, ardesia, I'm bringing the cardboards inside first thing tomorrow morning. I had no idea they were cold hardy in Georgetown. I had overwatered them in my GH, so they were already stressed. I think they'll rebound.-)

Sounds like your cardboard plant will be fine, Barb. I'll bet by next fall, it's big and gorgeous. Glad your Queen palm is doing well, also. My 2nd Queen, which is located away from the house, got pretty burnt the night the temp dropped to 19/20f. I should probably treat it w/copper fungicide, but since it's really not viable in my zone, I think I'm gonna let nature take its course.

Thumbnail by donnacreation
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
5:24 PM

Post #9409694

I agree about the cardboard. It made it though last Winter just fine and it was colder than this one. We've only gotten down below 32 four times here in Kure Beach and all of those have been within the last 3 weeks.
I planted my queen three Springs ago (2011). I was going to treat it as an annual, since, like you said, they aren't hardy here. Dang thing is still alive and well!
Barb

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America