Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: hardy mums

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 28, Views: 214
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

January 31, 2013
8:58 AM

Post #9403736

My hubby got me a BIG hardy mum last year for sweetest day, I put it in the bedroom to overwinter because it is cool and bright. I checked the other day and I have NEW GROWTH!!!!! How long before I bring it out into the warmth of the living room?I don't want to bring it back out before its time, but how long should I wait?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
7:50 PM

Post #9404377

I doubt that your bedroom is that much colder than your living room that it would make much difference what room you keep it in--clearly the bedroom is warm enough that it started putting out new growth. So I would put it wherever you want it as long as there's adequate light.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

February 1, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9404779

There is no heat at all in the bedroom, the only heat is from the window when the sun comes in, I don't use the bedroom in the winter because we shut it off from the rest of the house. We use the pellet stove and that is the only source of heat we use, so the mums are sitting in a chair as close to the window as we can put it because there is a heater that is on the floor and if it gets too cold it might kick on. We have the breaker shut off because we can't afford the electricity to run it it would cost too much. So we have the mums on the chair and right in front of the window so the sunlight will hit it. The living room is way warmer but there is the fact of not much room. I already have one air plant, one mother-in-law's tongue,6 moonflower vine seedlings,3 daturas on my computer desk, I don't have room on there for anything else. I could put it on the television tray, I might try that. By the way, how do you keep a very tall mother-in-law's tongue plant from falling over?
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 1, 2013
2:08 PM

Post #9405166

emptyeyes wrote:By the way, how do you keep a very tall mother-in-law's tongue plant from falling over?

Transplant it to a larger, wider pot so that the pot and soil are heavy enough to balance the top growth.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2013 3:13 PM
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9405275

However cold your bedroom is, it's obviously warm enough that the mum is starting to put out new growth. That's why I don't think moving it to the living room if that's where you want it will make any different. But there's also no harm in keeping it where it is since it seems to be happy--your original post made it sound like you'd rather have it in the living room but if that's not the case then leave it where it is.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

February 1, 2013
8:55 PM

Post #9405542

Should I cut any of the dead stems off? When I put it in there the only thing I did is cut off the dead blooms, should I cut them off any more or just leave it alone?
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 2, 2013
8:57 AM

Post #9405901

Just leave it alone. It's surviving the best it can in low light, and what you think are dead stems may be ones that still have a spark of life in them. When you put it outside in spring, you may want to harden it off first by setting it in full shade for a week before planting it out... otherwise, the weak indoor growth will get sunburnt and die off. Later on, as it builds strength, you could start pruning it to shape.
Outdoor plants should really be planted outdoors where they will get the light conditions they need.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2013
8:04 PM

Post #9454160

My outdoor mums are supposed to withstand(and love) full sun. What I can't wrap my head around is why they get bad sunburn to the point the leaves turn brown all across. Its been 3 years now, and it never has failded to produce wonderful purple flowers.
nelsoncastro
Victoria
Australia

March 27, 2013
11:52 PM

Post #9464603

ecrane3 wrote:So I would put it wherever you want it as long as there's adequate light.

Indeed, growing plants need sufficient light for its growth.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2013
6:21 PM

Post #9468003

Lol, I said failded.I second nel's statement, its proven to be a weakpoint in my house, where most windows are north or south facing.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2013
10:34 PM

Post #9468155

Bloomfly, there is a big difference in the 'full sun' in Palmdale (inland, high desert, southern California) and some milder area. It gets really hot, and stays hot for a long time, so it is not just the sun, but the drying effect of the heat and low humidity.
I would suggest you try growing Mums in a fair amount of morning sun and late afternoon sun, but try shading them from the hottest hours of the sun.

emptyeyes, if you have not already moved the Mum into a warmer room, I would do so, when the new growth starts. Checking the dates on your posts, this would have been pretty much any time in Feb. Put it in the brightest spot, even a full southern window (in the winter and early spring). If that is the bedroom, then leave it there, even if it is a cold room.
If it is your intent to plant it in the garden, I would wait until all chance of frost is past, then acclimate it in a shaded location as suggested.
I would cut off the old stems, now that you can see where the new growth is coming from.
I understand how cold that room can be. My aunt and uncle warmed their house with a wood burning stove, and regularly shut the doors of the unused rooms. Those rooms got really COLD. They opened the door to begin warming the room in the morning so it would be comfortable by night time when I visited them! Still, they also had plants in there that were wintering indoors, pretty much dormant, or at least not growing, just holding their leaves. But when the days started to lengthen the plants would start to grow.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 1, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9468552

I may have made a mistake, I hope not a fatal one, my mums did have new growth and I brought them into the living room, and then the new growth wilted so I pulled it off and threw it away and put it back into the bedroom. I have kept a eye on them but no new growth yet, did I kill it? I see none at all, I put it on a box so it can get more sunshine and checked the soil and it is still damp. The daytime temps are getting warmer and I don't think we are going to get below freezing at night anymore(not sure, you know how mother nature can be). So what should I do? I would like to plant it but as I have trees all around the house, I am not sure where I can put it that it gets full sun. Should I put the water that has miracle-gro in it on the mums next time I water it? Help would be appreciated, I sure hope I did not do a stupid thing when I pulled off the wilted greenery.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2013
9:56 AM

Post #9473664

I will try Diana, but I will have to shade them manually since they are out in the middle of the front garden.It may be possible it has some sort of root rot. Have you repotted lately? Or checked the roots? It also could be the change of enviroment(The cooler bright bedroom, to the warmer living room). I am jsut learning mums, so I cannot say anything for sure.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 14, 2013
4:35 PM

Post #9483931

It was in the high 60's today and the low 50's tonight, is it alright to leave my mums out? I have them beside the front door and they are shaded most of the time. Still no growth, but I am hopeful. It is supposed to stay in the 50's and 60's most of the time at night and the 60's and 70's during the day.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9484669

I have my mums in the ground year round. They do wonderfully well. I see teeny, tiny leaves starting on them. They are in full sun, as well.
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 22, 2013
8:48 AM

Post #9493093

It is April and still no new growth, my hubby says to toss them and he will get me new ones, do you think that is a good idea? When he does I will tell him to make sure he gets one that I can plant in the ground. The one I have now has brown, just brown everywhere. What is your opinion? I scraped the trunk and there is no green at all.
Anele1958
Moscow
Russia

April 26, 2013
12:14 AM

Post #9497482

Hello everybody! I'm a newcomer. I have got a hardy mum a couple of years ago and I put it in a cold place, cut short overgrown branches, waited patiently until the groung got dried, watered it and then sprayed it with phytohormones to make it bloom. Soon it was all covered with buds. Good luck! (Sorry for my poor English, it's because of little practice)

This message was edited Apr 26, 2013 12:16 AM
miriamalcedo
Florence-Graham, CA

April 27, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9499113

Congrats anele, I am starting my own mums, I hope I have the same luck.
Regards.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2013
10:31 PM

Post #9504941

Always good to see new faces! Are you mums in pots? I believe temperatures in Moscow can get below 0 in winter( pleas correct me if I am wrong Lol)
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

October 8, 2013
8:43 AM

Post #9681148

Me again,lol! He bought me some Goldenrod Yellow this time, they have been in the house because we may have to move and I was wanting to take them with me, some of the blooms have started to turn brown but there are buds that have not opened yet, if I clip the brown ones off will that make the buds bloom? I was thinking after it blooms all the way and starts to go dormant can I just sit it outside and let it stay out there all winter? It says it is a garden mum which is quite hardy, but some of the posts that I have read say just sit it outside and it will come back. Again I live in zone 6 and they say it is supposed to be more snowy and colder than last winter. Here is a pic of them. This is when he first got them for me.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9691580

If you are sure the brown buds are dead, it would not hurt to trim them off. My purple mums, with the burned leaves once again, lol, are in full bloom. Tomorrow I will try for a picture, as the blossoms are beginning to fade. There are few whole leaves on the plant right now, which it always has had during blooming, for whatever reason. Good luck with your new yellow mums!
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 3, 2013
12:05 PM

Post #9701055

Here it is! I took this a week ago, before it started to fade, and the weather became cold and dreary. How are yours doing empty?

Thumbnail by Bloomfly22

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

November 3, 2013
5:07 PM

Post #9701240

My aunt gave me a small pot of mums today(November3,2013), I took the foil off of them and have them sitting right next to the others. They feel like they don't need any water right now, I don't have any more big pots to set them in, so how do I keep them alive until next spring? Could I pile the leaves around the pot and somehow try to keep the roots alive?
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

November 3, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9701254

These are the mums that my aunt gave me, they are supposed to be hardy mums but it is too late to plant them and I don't have a larger pot to insulate them in. They are called Belgian Mums, Sonoma Coral. I will try to find a bigger pot to insulate them in, I sure won't have a shortage of leaves to tuck in if I find a larger one. If not, could someone clue me in to how I could protect them from the cold and still leave them outside?

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 3, 2013
6:33 PM

Post #9701293

I occasionally use old cloth towels or sheets to cover plants overnight. it works well here in California, since our average lows(in my location, Palmdale) are 20-30F. It is getting close to winter, so I will need to gather some towels, and suck up my ash tree's leaves to use as winter protection this year. It might be worth a shot to try it in your location,empty, but I don't know how it will work. Good luck!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

November 4, 2013
9:00 AM

Post #9701664

could I set them in a bucket and put something in there for them to set on? I could pile the leaves around them like I did for that other mum. It would leave the top part where the mums are open so they can get watered, but be far enough up so the water would still drain out of the pot. If that sounds like a good idea let me know.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9709858

Sounds like it might work!
emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

January 4, 2014
11:30 AM

Post #9740064

These are the mums that I set out last summer and hopefully they will come back. I have plenty of snow and if the weather channel and everyone else is right, there will be a heck a lot more snow come Sunday night.

Thumbnail by emptyeyes

emptyeyes
Lakeview, OH

April 1, 2014
9:40 AM

Post #9802703

Well, here it is spring and I was out looking at these mums, the one pot is light and the other one is very heavy. Do you think I should get more soil and repot it into a larger pot? I don't see any greenery yet, so I am thinking I need to get them out of the potting soil that they were ina nd get them some fresh soil, should I be seeing greenery on them yet?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America