Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: TEA ROOM # 118

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 154, Views: 883
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 31, 2013
12:48 PM

Post #9403920

Good morning everyone. Its the 1st of the month, so we have moved again.

We came from here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292393/

I thought we might enjoy a wander through the forest down the back of the Tea Room.
Lovely and peaceful, no fires, floods or tornadoes .

Its sunny but cold here this morning.
We had about 33 points of rain yesterday afternoon, which was badly needed.
It is going to warm up again but I see signs that Autumn isnt that far away from us.
I have Naked Ladies already dancing in the garden.
The odd thing is that I also have flowers coming on the wisteria again.
It usually only flowers in Spring.

It was a lovely day shopping in Hamilton as the rain didnt start until after lunch and the weather was not cold .
I found no orphans but did get more potting mix..
I wont have to water anything today as the rain was just enough to give all the pots a good drink. ..
I had better get myself moving and put up the signpost so everyone knows where we are.

Enjoy your day and stay safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 31, 2013
5:02 PM

Post #9404173

This is a pretty spot, Jean...further in might have a lovely place for a picnic...

We got 20mm of rain and it was very much appreciated...blue skies today, so I don't expect any more, but now it's cold again..
This summer has certainly been confusing, my neighbours have 2 Japanese maples in their front garden and they have both been red for a month, the Cyclamens are all growing like crazy, like your's Jean, my Wisteria is spot flowering as is the Magnolia...
I can't remember a summer as cold as this one.
We picked our first tomato, yesterday...at least they have been on time...along with the Apple Cucumbers...

Elaine, whinge away, this is the best place to do it...we all do it occasionally...

Al, enjoy your night with Elvis, my daughter is a big fan and she likes his daughter, Lisa Marie too...

I'm off to the theatre tomorrow with my granddaughter Steph, we are going to see a stage production of Le Miz, she hasn't seen it yet so it will be a treat for her...then if she wants she can see the new film version with Hugh Jackman and Russel Crowe...

Have a nice weekend everyone.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 1, 2013
12:50 PM

Post #9405064

Good morning everyone.
Very quiet in here. I think everyone must be hiding from the weird weather.
Its cloudy here again but forecast to be warming up.
Very Autumn like weather at the moment.

I am off outside to see what needs doing .
i have a few more small plants to pot up so will do that down in the back shadehouse. It has an alsinite roof , so I can work in there even if it rains.

I hope everyone anywhere in the floods is safe and those friends in the US , keep safe from any storms etc.

Enjoy your weekend and some of these nibbles I will leave out. ... Pretty Cupcakes.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2013
9:47 PM

Post #9405566

Mud ...sums it up here.

Goodness gracious you don't know what to do from day to day.

Jean hubby bought home 6ft x 300 ft roll of weed mat, so I will get to playing with that when the drizzle stops,We have had a real deluge here, a relief after the big heat, but you can sort of feel Autumn hanging around, the Autumn Joy is all budded up. I have a feeling it may come early, but then the way things are going these days who knows.

I hope everyone has enjoyed their day/evening.
Busy times in the garden when you can get out there.
Some of us preparing for the cooler times and some for the warmer times.
The World is getting smaller every day. ^_^

chrissy

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 2, 2013
1:49 AM

Post #9405615

strange weather you are having in OZ, heat & floods & then cold snaps...
I'd say all you need is an earthquake for it to be just like NZ but I wouldn't wish that on anyone!
We had another warm one but the cool change is supposed to bring rain on Monday.
That will do the gardens some good, I still haven't been out & sorted the over grown mess opposite the terrace & now I notice weeds coming up in the two gardens I had looking nice

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/dalfyre/Garden/034.jpg

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 2, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9406147

Good morning everyone.
The sun is trying to come out from the fog.
It rained a bit during the night but is foggy out there now. Odd weather.

I moved a few plants around yesterday. With my little trolley, I can move large pots with no trouble.
I may have told you that my trolley is one of those 2 wheel shopping jeeps from the cheapie shop. We took the shopping bag part off and hubby wired a large plastic crate on the base. I can move all sorts of things and it is just perfect to cart bags of potting mix around.
It makes it so easy to move the mix to where I am working .
So much easier than a wheelbarrow too.

Today I am going to do a bit of converting in the old orchid house. It is going to be a bromeliad space .

Teresa, your garden is looking lovely. I know how you feel about the weeds. As fast as one pulls them out they are back.
Maybe we should all just give up and cultivate weeds.
I bet if we did the darn things would all die ...lol

Chrissy, what on earth are you going to do with 300' of weed mat ?
I see you having it all over the garden around the bruggies.

Hello Anthony, how are things down there ?
I hope all is well with Cocky and the cats. You will be busy with lots of bulbs.

Dianne, did you get a bit of rain last night too ?
Your garden will be looking wonderful as the brugs get ready for Autumn.

Hello Moon and Al. Hope all is quiet over your way. No more storms etc.
It will be Spring before you know it.

Charleen, pat the furry ones for me.
You will be looking forward to Spring too.

Hello to anyone else popping in.
I have left some nibbles out for morning tea...Chocolate Cream Cake..

Enjoy your day
Jean..

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 2, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9406272

Alls groovy ,Jean!-packing up and trying to sell off a few pots and make some room..

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 2, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9406285

Brrrrrrr good luck Anthony, I need to put something warmer on ...I am cold ! (that is nuts !)

Jean I told hubby to pick me up a few yards of weed mat (to try out). He got carried away I guess lol !

Nice pics Therese, nice to have some garden looking good after everything that has happened.

Elaine were you flooded ?

Popping back later, a busy Sunday ahead here !
Have a great day everyone !

chrissy
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 2, 2013
7:21 PM

Post #9406460

lol - have a closer look at the photos...
the first is how my garden looks today - an over grown mess.
the second pic is how it was a few years ago!
I really need to get stuck in but it is 27C & I managed to get a little reddened on my upper arms when I was at dog club & then here at home playing with the tomato plants.
In other words I'm hot & (can't be) bothered :)

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 2, 2013
7:29 PM

Post #9406473

Keep warm Anthony and I know all about that idea of making more room.
That space gets filled and one is back again looking for even more room.
Gardening is a vicious circle...lol

Teresa, I didnt see any weeds..????
Yours must be tidy weeds.
I'll send you some 3' thistles and grass that grows up around you if you stand still.

Chrissy, dont ever send your hubby out for some steak ... You may end up with the whole animal...lol
What did he think you were going to do with the weed mat , cover the whole block ?? Men...

Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 2, 2013
11:18 PM

Post #9406573

well I felt motivated after looking at the photos & slapped on the 50+ sunblock & got out there...
it was 4.30pm by then so not so bad but I came back to top up the sunblock on my feet when I felt them getting rather warm.
I tidied up the roses & weeded the north side garden, that one was easier as I did the major weeding a while back & now it's just a matter of keeping on top of things.
the other side of the driveway was a different matter, the poppies had gone to seed & died off, there were weeds all through the garden, some were strangling the surviving plants...
It needs more work & new plants - not sure what to do with this garden, it is hard work keeping it looking good.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 3, 2013
12:46 PM

Post #9407139

Good morning everyone.
Its going to be a lovely day as was yesterday once the fog lifted.
I was busy "going potty "as hubby calls it.
I potted quite a few small plants and a couple of brugs .
its lovely sitting in the sun while working.
I have nice sheltered corner between the garage and my garden shed. I have an old wheelbarrow into which I can tip my mix . I also have an old wooden wheel thingy that does as a bench.

Its very quiet in here. Everyone must be busy in their gardens.

Teresa. I like the look of the shrubs you have there.
Instead of annuals, have you thought of trying some of the beautiful small hebes.
Planted close together they would fill a space nicely and are so easy to look after.
I ignore mine and they thrive.
There are some lovely flower colors and shapes.
Any annuals that self seed would just poke up between them and are easily removed after flowering.
Because they are usually low growing they would suppress weeds.

Better get moving, hubby has to go over to Coleraine for an appointment.

Hello to all popping in .
Heres something tasty for morning tea...Orange Cake

Stay safe and enjoy the day.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 3, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9407181

Morning all, a nice morning, cool but the sun is shining..

Jean, my garden doesn't look at all nice at the moment...
All the Brugs need a big haircut from their last flush, they lay on everyone else...
The cucumbers are climbing thru everything and the clematis has gone mad, the whole garden looks like a huge clematis with the odd rose that has managed to climb above it...

The only thing that is orderly and pretty is the Laxa, which is climbing over the hot water service...very gently though..
I think that a whole day in the garden is needed now..
Enjoy your day everyone.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger      

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 4, 2013
12:26 AM

Post #9407632

Jean - hebes could be a good choice for that garden, I have two hebe red edge doing very well there and some other hebes out the back looking a bit sad after some Sugar trampling!
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 4, 2013
1:28 AM

Post #9407645

Still here..very busy,.,.,.pollenation..seeds.watering upkeep is unreal..unfortunately ,WORK!! -I havnt won lotto yet!!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 4, 2013
12:54 PM

Post #9408306

Good morning everyone.
The sun is up and warm already although the air is nippy.
Yesterday I was climbing around on the ladder trying to get rid of leaves on the roof of the older shadehouse and the larger epi house.
Darn gum trees drop leaves and twigs year round.. I managed to get most but building the shadehouses to the size they are means I cannot get at parts of the roof.
I like to get them off before winter as they just stick together in clumps when wet.
You would think all the wind we get would blow them away but it doesnt work much.
Lots more light in side there now for the plants.

Teresa. I have 2 little Hebes that are dwarf, around 12"-14"tall. Very pretty little flowers and one has a burgundy tint to the leaves. Very tidy little things.
They would look great along your garden.
Even the bigger ones are easy to keep low. I let most of mine do their own thing out in the main paddock garden. They are a mass of flowers & bees at the moment. The tallest is about 8'now.

Anthony, nice to see you popping in for a cuppa. You must be very busy getting things done and working as well.

Dianne, If you saw the back of my paddock garden now you would think yours is very tidy.
I have just a brown dry mess. I never clean up the nasturtiums, Its not worth trying as they eventually rot away and the new green carpet will cover it all up in Spring.
The day lilies survive on their own so are all looking dead now. They , too will be mounds of green later.
Even the hellebores are now all just dead leaves.
I try not to look at any of that part when I am out there.

Hello Moon and Al. I hope all is well over your way.

Charleen, Charley must be hibernating. I havent seen him for a few days. Hope your weather is turning very Springlike too.

Hello everyone else looking in.

I am off to water as its going to be very hot over the next few days. Its really more Autumn weather except for the few very hot days.

Heres something nice for morning tea...Streusal Coffee Cake.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 5, 2013
12:24 PM

Post #9409332

Good morning everyone.
hmmmmmm. I should have said good morning me.
Here I am all alone. Even Charley has not been to see me.
I will have to feed all the leftovers to the birds out the back of the Tea Room.

I hope you are all busy with your gardens.
Its going to be very hot here again so I am going to pop out and water a few pots before the sun gets right up.
It was quite cool in the night and still is outside.

I hope to see a few smiling faces back in here soon.
I will put out some nibbles in case anyone comes in later...Chocolate Peanut Squares.

Happy day stay safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 5, 2013
1:22 PM

Post #9409439

I'm here, Jean...
I did pop in last night to grab a piece of that coffee cake..yum

Anthony, I am in shock re the Bombers...can't believe that James Hird would sanction anything illegal...

Going to be a hottie today, have to do a bit more watering...

Keep cool.
Dianne.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9409495

Waving Hello

I have been busy between house and yard. Our weather seems to be on a magic carpet ride...chilly one day rain and then warm the next day. Daffs and "high Scents" as my grandson calls them are poking up and some are in bloom. Daylilies are greening up and the dormant ones have broken ground. The irises are poking up also.

Trying to get all the weeds out and fertilizer and new mulch in...lots to do between showers, which are predicted off and on over the next week. Lot's of pruning to do also.

With DDJan and family coming, I have moved Spring cleaning up a couple months. I usually try to do that just before Easter, but they will be here then. Many projects have to wait until it is a bit drier outside for both house and garden.

Hope you are all well and the weather is calming a bit for you.
Jean, hope you get a nice soaking rain for your garden...maybe it will wash the last of the leaves away for you.

Have a lovely day
Moon
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 5, 2013
3:20 PM

Post #9409568

well we received a soaking all right!
Poured with rain Monday night & then off & on all day Tuesday.
Today is Waitangi Day - NZ National Holiday & lucky us have the day off from the shop.
May retailers remain open but as our shop isn't part of a mall we don't do public holidays :)
Saves the company having to pay us time & a half plus a lieu day & after working all the public holidays when I did bar work I am all in favour of the day off!
It is over cast & cool but supposed to fine up later, if it does I will have to get out & dig out some plants from the garden by the chimney.
We had the call to say our chimney repair is going to start on the 12th or 13th of this month...
Not that I am cynical but I think me phoning non - stop & laying it on thick about the 80 year old in-laws being here had more effect than all the previous calls put together.
The medial love to make a big issue out of children & the elderly suffering due to slow EQC response.
Nobody cares about us middle aged folk unless we have some tragic disease or disability.

Well that's my whine for the day... prefer a pinot gris but never mind ;)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2013
3:43 PM

Post #9409594

Well, me and that dog gone mule went Bumbling off down the wrong road. Then we had to turn around and finally found the Cake crumbs leading to the Tea room. TBo led us straight to the door. Lapping up the crumbs that Charley didn't get. I have been busy, looking for your tracks. So glad We finally found you all.
Chrissy, i used used the weed barrier, The grass still seems to creep under it but it does help...
supposed to be getting some rain moving in. I'll take it.
Was nice today.
Blessing and love to all.
Charley and Charleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 5, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9409857

Sorry guys just popped in to say I have vertigo, back when it goes away. Always get it when I have a chill.

back in a day or two.

waving !
chrissy
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2013
10:23 PM

Post #9409876

I once was lost, but now I'm found...

Al
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 5, 2013
11:33 PM

Post #9409888

the sun came out properly so I slapped on some spf 50 & got out amongst it.
The green bin is full of rose prunings, grass clippings & weeds.
There are piles of branches from the camellia, the oak tree, the winter hazel, the witch hazel ...
hubby complained about overhanging foliage getting in his way when mowing.
well he should have plenty of room to move now!

Hubby was a little shocked when he arrived home, he didn't expect me to have done so much.
He reckons it's not safe to leave me unsupervised ;)

Well he was off having fun at the hangar so I had to amuse myself.

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 6, 2013
2:01 AM

Post #9409903

Dianne, the truth!!-'they were crap afterall''...Did anyone have trouble accessing the tearoom , past the "holden 'Ad?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2013
6:48 AM

Post #9410054

Amazing Al...grin I need to remember to tag you and Charleen when the thread moves...grin

Busy busy Bee Teresa...there is plenty of room to mow now...grin

Feel better soon Chrissy.

No problem here Anthony...I don't have ads showing in the threads.

Have a good day Folks
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 6, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9410395

Good morning everyone.
It was so nice to see lots of smiling faces here when I arrived this morning.
After a hot day yesterday ( 37C) it is a lovely cool morning.
I stayed inside most of yesterday as even though the temp wasnt over high, it was a bit humid.
I caught up on all my library books which I can look up and place holds on via the internet. I usually have a waiting list of around 12 books at a time . They arrive at the Hamilton library for me to pick up on shopping day.
I normally only ever get 3-4 books arrive each fortnight which are read before the week is out so I have another week to wait for more.
Hubby says I need to live in the library.
I love reading and have always read lots of books .
There is nothing like sitting in a comfy chair with a good book.

My plants ( the ones I water ) are looking green and waiting for Autumn.
I see a few more naked ladies poking up through the very hard dry ground.
Arent bulbs so wonderful in returning each season to brighten our days ?

Anthony, nice to see you and Cocky here. You must be planning lots of things for Spring planting already.
I am waiting on those liliums I bought as orphans in Bunnings, to die off so I can take them out of the pots and put in the ground.

Dianne, I thought someone had been nibbling at the cakes.
I was about to blame poor Charley mule , when it was you.
I'm glad you enjoyed some before the birds out the back ate most of the leftovers.

Moon, you sound very busy. Its getting closer to the time your DD will arrive.
It will be a lovely time of year with Spring coming as well.
I do like walling around the garden in the various seasons looking for which bulbs are coming through.
You will have a sea of daffies and "high scents "

Teresa, did you get Spring fever...lol
All that tidying and cleaning up. It feels good when you sit back and see what you have done .
I think its the men who cannot be left unsupervised, dont you ?
One never knows what they will chop, stand on or just mow over.
You have lots of room for more plants now...lol

Al, I will leave a bigger sign next time we move.
Its nice to see you found us though. I thought you may have been lurking in the kitchen, cooking up some yummy treat.

Chrissy , hope you feel better soon.

Charleen, I gave lots of leftovers to Charley mule to take home and share.
TBo knew where to bring you, little darling he is.
Always looks so happy.
Abigail and Kaitlin knew where we moved to, as I found a couple of eggs under the bush out the back.
There wont be any large amounts of rain here for a while yet.
The plants are all waiting eagerly for autumn.
Hope you are getting lovely weather there.

Time I had my cuppa and went out to water the pots.

Heres something yummy for you all... Strawberry Cream Cake

Enjoy the day and keep thinking Spring or Autumn thoughts

Jean. .

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 7, 2013
1:27 AM

Post #9410858

I suddenly thought with the space I have made I can rescue more plants from around the chimney...
and they should do ok in a semi shady spot.
As long as the camellia I moved does ok - it has sentimental value.
My old girl Chita won it in her best ever outing at a Dalmatian Club Champ show.
It has been moved a couple of times, the last time it broke & the part with roots died off but the sad broken bit I stuck in the ground did well.
I was trying to move another camellia that Mum gave me as a cutting, it was growing way too big for where it was & hasn't bothered to flower for me so I figured I'd stick it in a corner where it could give me a privacy screen.
It has decided it likes where it is & I couldn't budge it.
I might try a cutting or two & if they strike I can kill the original.
I never meant to leave it where it is - right by a path is just not a good spot for a triffid!
I was just a bit slow to shift it, a couple of years back would have been ideal.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2013
11:28 AM

Post #9411210

got a picture of a red shouldered hawk sitting on Charley's wire fence. Also thought you may like thsi Mug shot of my TBo. He loves to have his picture taken...
Hope everyone has a grand day...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule      

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 7, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9411313

Good morning everyone. Its a bit chilly as is usual here, but will get quite warm later.
Strangely, even though we had a north wind yesterday, it was not a very hot wind.
Made the day much more comfortable.
I pottered around watering and spraying. Checking on whats coming up and where.
Its funny that one always forgets where bulbs are after they die down, then up they pop next season to surprise you.

Charleen, of course TBo wants his picture taken , he is so cute.

Love your hawk too. The hawks are very pretty birds. We have several that are in our area.
The most common is the small Nankeen Kestrel , often seen hovering just above the fence line along roadsides..

Teresa, I knew you would find more plants for your empty space.
Camellias are very forgiving plants . I have seen them cut back nearly to a stump, then grow again.
I dont put any in the ground here now as they only last a year or so then die. Its the soil & water . Too alkaline for them. I had the same trouble with azaleas and rhodos.
Now all my azaleas and camellias are in pots on the veranda and are watered with only rainwater. They are all doing well.
Good luck with yours.

Oops , I am being called. Hubby wants a hand with something .
Better go and see what mischief he's up to.

Heres a nibble for you all ...Chocolate Truffles.

Take care and stay safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 8, 2013
12:41 AM

Post #9411753

Day off tomorrow so I will try to get more done in the garden...
I should see if I can borrow Mum's mulcher & that way I can put all that foliage to good use on the garden instead of filling up the green bin.

Sugar is playing with my husband - he is on all fours pretending to take her bone.
It's so funny to see him on the floor with the weasel, her tail is beating a tune on the floor & she can't take her eyes off Baz.

Copper is on the couch with me.
He prefers to take things easy & poor Sugar obviously wants him to play & gets all wound up when he ignores her.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 8, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9412300

Good morning everyone.
I'm like the white rabbit in Alice in Wonderland, I'm late.
Been wandering around in the bromeliad threads.

Its going to be a lovely day here and hubby says getting hotter near the middle of the week.
Nothing much to do at the moment in the garden.
A few plants to be repotted but that can wait until after the next hot spell.

Teresa, it sounds like Sugar and Copper have a great time with you both.
One to play with and one to sit and relax with.
What more could a dog ask for ?

Hello Al, Moon and Charleen. I hope Spring is dancing toward you all quickly.

Hello Anthony, Dianne and anyone else looking in.
Keep cool when the next lot of hot weather hits next week.

I am off outside to just walk around and enjoy the cool morning.

Heres something tasty for morning tea. ...Blueberry Muffins..

Happy day
keep safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9412425

We are getting rains. Maybe my little well will fill up.
Charley looks like a Mudball Walking.
Hope you all have a grand day...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 8, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9412469

Horrible gusty squalls here- making life difficult.. Am taking stock and repotting mini daffs.. and just placed an order with 'Hancocks' and 'Hillview'...Very sore back 'AGAIN'-'angers me',-Anthony
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 8, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9412475

Bright sunny day here - on with the spf 50 & out to the garden...
I managed to fit all the foliage on one lawn into the green bin.
took a while to cut it all up & i have a sore thumb from using the secateurs for so long.

I have two loads of washing out so am sitting in the dogs room now to keep the weasel happy.
Can't leave her out side as she will tear the washing off the line.
She was yelling the house down until I came in, now she is out to it on the floor.
Copper is in Sugar's bed, he always does this, not sure why but Sugar is quite happy to share.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 8, 2013
7:33 PM

Post #9412658

Hope your back is a bit better now, Anthony...though this would be such a busy time for you...
Sometimes we over commit to things that we love...so take a step back for a couple of days when you can...

Teresa, your life is never dull with those two, is it...when the weather cools, you can chop your Camellia down to it's socks and dig it up, as Jean said, they are really tough...

T.Bo is very photogenic, Charleen...love pic of the bird too...

Hi to everyone looking in and have a great weekend...Chrissy, hope you are over your vertigo...

Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 8, 2013
7:54 PM

Post #9412683

Yep starting to feel human again thanks ^_^

The first of My Hungarian Black chilli fruits are going red, you have purple flowers and some deep Green fruit,Midnight Black, then Lacquer Red ones, so beautiful, I hope to post pics tomorrow, wish I had grown 50 plants of this darling.It is enchanting to look at, and just as beautiful as anything you will find in the flower garden. The Kale is going well and the winged beans too.
I have Basil Seedlings popping up from the chopped flower stalks, Pickling gherkins going nuts as well as the Spaghetti Squash.
Should have planted more veggies but last year was a disaster in the wet weather, so I didn't plant lots this time. Isn't that always the way ? Might have time for some quick things in Autumn.

I hope you are all ok and enjoying your weekend !

chrissy
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 9, 2013
1:58 AM

Post #9412773

Yes, Dianne.. It feels 'lazy' to stop.. I hate sitting around[so Im doing it in the garage],..Fire smoke is so heavy ,you can taste it..little sprinkles of rain today[fire is about 10 km away],..,Early night I think!!!-Anthony
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2013
11:38 AM

Post #9413181

Another big snowstorm missed us by inches, it's downright cold and windy here though. Some places further east in NYC and Boston had serious snow squalls last night. The ski people are out in droves this weekend, good for them! I'll just throw another log on the fire and stay warm, thanks. Back to my seed catalog pile..

We're packing for Florida in a couple of weeks.

Al
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 9, 2013
12:51 PM

Post #9413267

Good morning everyone.
Its overcast here this morning . No rain in sight and its supposed to get quite hot again during the week.
Nothing much done outside yesterday . I spent most of the day going through all my old discs of garden stuff to see what was on them .
I transferred all that I wanted into a file and put it on a new memory stick. I use them for all my backup stuff now.
I dont want to risk losing any further pics & info , after my silly mistake a few weeks ago in accidently deleting a file full of new pics.

Hello Al. I was thinking of you when I saw all the snow on the news in NY.
Makes one feel foolish complaining about a little heat when people are under feet of snow.
Nice to see you are sensibly staying in with those catalogs.

Anthony, I think we gardeners who are always out there doing things, do feel a bit lazy at times when we have to stop. You are also busy with work so take that break and sit with Cocky for a chat.
Hope the back gets better soon.

Charleen, lovely to see that you are getting some welcome rain.
Yes, I imagine Charley would love the mud to roll in.
I see muddy hoofprints around the back of the Tea House. Guess who was there ?

Teresa, I get the feeling Sugar still has a few naughty tricks . She probably lets Copper share her bed because he showed her some of his old tricks...lol
Yelling the house down worked too didnt it ? You came inside to sit with her.

Chrissy, sounds like you have great vegie garden going there now.
I have a few leeks and corn plants also tomatoes that finally grew . The pumpkins and zucchini are growing well too.
Not much I can plant in the warm weather here as the ground is much too dry.
I use drippers on the pumpkins etc so they get enough water.
Once the rain starts again in autumn, I'll plant more.

Dianne , how are things down your way ?
I bet your garden is looking lovely with all the brugs. I see a few nerines popping heads up.
It must be autumn with all the bulbs on the move.
Give Tilly a pat for me.

I am off to do a bit of pot watering as we are having visitors later , so nothing will get done then.

Heres a yummy nibble for morning tea...Carrot Cake

.Keep cool ( or warm if you are like Al ,in snow )

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 9, 2013
5:01 PM

Post #9413514

lol - Jean you are so right about Sugar.
Her trick today was to pinch a treat bag from another instructors car...
then run rings around me while I tried to coax her into bringing it back.
We finally did a swap, Sugar had a treat & gave the treat bag back to the owner, only to have Sugar leap into her car & steal the lunch box that contained extra treats ...
cue Sugar running rings around me again until that game became boring & she let me take the container.
Fortunately the victim of her thieving ways found it hilarious, she couldn't believe that Sugar could fit the lunchbox in her mouth!

Baz & I bought a test pot of paint to try out on the house.
The last colour wasn't right, too blue/grey & we want a more charcoal grey.
funny thing is that the two look almost identical, just waiting for the paint to dry so I can see if we like it.

bernieh
Townsville
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 9, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9413574

Hello from the north-east of Oz. It's hot and humid up here as usual. There's a slight chance of a shower today, which is very much needed. Our wet season has been drier than usual so far this year, and the plants could do with some more rain.

Today I'm busy planting Zephyranthes and Habranthus (Rain Lily), Adenium and Hippeastrum seeds. All were gifts from other lovely gardeners so I'm hoping I have lots of success. I haven't had a lot of experience starting any of these plants from seeds, so it will be interesting to see how it all goes.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 9, 2013
6:12 PM

Post #9413588

oops running late ...Love your Blog bernieh !
http://bushbernie.blogspot.com.au/

Such interesting things ...I love the things you can grow up North, though I don't think I could handle the weather.

That snow sure looks bad over the pond, take care and stay warm over there.

I will pop back after my visitors leave ...

cheers !

chrissy
bernieh
Townsville
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 10, 2013
2:08 AM

Post #9413833

[quote="chrissy100"]oops running late ...Love your Blog bernieh !
http://bushbernie.blogspot.com.au/

Such interesting things ...I love the things you can grow up North, though I don't think I could handle the weather.

That snow sure looks bad over the pond, take care and stay warm over there.

I will pop back after my visitors leave ...

cheers !

chrissy[/quote]

Well thanks for visiting my blog, Chrissy. I'm glad you enjoyed popping over. It's the heat combined with the high humidity that really makes our summers up here unbearable for visitors. It's hard to get used to.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 10, 2013
2:14 AM

Post #9413835

Quiet day, sourcing more mini-daffs, then my mobile rings.. ''Moving to melbourne tomorrow, do you want all of our pots/plants''?...''Is Enzo Italian..Does Father Christmas come down the chimney????'',.Of course!,..,...bad back and all!!!!,.,.,Hundreds of dollars worth of huge fired pots, camellias, liliums[of course]-every gardener has these!!!, herbs, tree peony, money plant[huge], ferns, bulbs ,nerines...1 ute load so far, back in the morning for the rest,.,.,.I will donate most of these to our garden club and show group,..,Man alive, 'you can be lucky'!-Anthony...Hello there ,Bernieh
bernieh
Townsville
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 10, 2013
3:07 AM

Post #9413850

[quote="g_whizz"]Quiet day, sourcing more mini-daffs, then my mobile rings.. ''Moving to melbourne tomorrow, do you want all of our pots/plants''?...''Is Enzo Italian..Does Father Christmas come down the chimney????'',.Of course!,..,...bad back and all!!!!,.,.,Hundreds of dollars worth of huge fired pots, camellias, liliums[of course]-every gardener has these!!!, herbs, tree peony, money plant[huge], ferns, bulbs ,nerines...1 ute load so far, back in the morning for the rest,.,.,.I will donate most of these to our garden club and show group,..,Man alive, 'you can be lucky'!-Anthony...Hello there ,Bernieh[/quote]

Hi g_whizz! Wow, that is what I call lucky!!!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9414044

Good Morning to you all.

Wow Anthony...that is like a second Christmas for you. Hope your back doesn't complain too much.

Good to see you back Chrissy...hope you are feeling tip top again.

Jean, that rascal Charley was having a grand time at the back door...Carrot cake frosting all over his face...grin Hope you had a nice visit with friends.

Oh Teresa...that Sugar is a scallywag for sure...it is so funny to watch them when they know they are being rascals. And funnier still the show we put on trying to stop them. Hope you found the right color this time.

Hi Al. What part of Florida are y'all heading to? Glad the brunt of the storm missed you.

Hello again, Bernie. Nice blog, just had time for a quick peek but will look more later.

More rain for us Sunday and Monday. At least the ground will be well watered as the new mulch goes into the beds. Little spring bulbs starting to pop up, and seeing tiny green leaves on lots of the shrubbery...ready for spring to be here.

Have a happy week everyone.

Moon
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9414056

East coast area around St. Augustine, likely Savannah GA on the way if we have time.

Al

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9414065

Both are lovely areas...Hope you get to enjoy Savannah...my husband's brother is in Evans, GA, just a bit west of Savannah...such beautiful old homes and gardens there. Is this the first trip to St Augustine?
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2013
10:40 AM

Post #9414200

Hey Folks - We're selling ice real cheap over here if you want to cool off a bit!

I've been to both places, Moon, but not to stay long enough to see much.

Al
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 10, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9414332

Good morning everyone.
I am getting used to these cool mornings and evenings. It does get warm after lunch . Hot weather expected for this week.
Its more autumn than summer weather here so enjoyable.
I spent yesterday moving my bromeliads around. I seem to be getting a collection of the vrieseas and as I want to keep them together, I moved a lot of the neoregelias down to the back shadehouse. Our visitors were Roberts sister and hubby. We dont see them often as they are busy people.

Charleen, you mentioned little bulbs showing their heads.
I have the autumn nerines popping up but in one large container there are green leaves coming up where there should only be daffodils. If its them, they are very confused.
Charley ate a whole cake here the other day. Lucky noone came in for any nibbles with their cuppa.
Nice to see you getting that rain.

Al, I could put the ice on the garden to melt over the plants...lol
Stay safe there and enjoy your Florida trip.

Moon, I would love to visit your state as I have seen pics of a lot of Georgia. So much history there.

Teresa, you are not having a dull moment with the Weasel leading you a merry dance. I bet she laughs at you trying to catch her. Copper will just relax and watch thinking 'been there, done all that '.

We have fun watching our maggies and their antics. I am sure they understand every word I say.
Caught two of the young teens yesterday digging into a pot plant that I have been blaming Mrs Blackbird for.
The maggies get into hubbys shed when hes not looking and run off with whatever they can.
I put a little frog ornament in the top bowl of my fountain and they picked it up, tossed it out and broke his leg.
I ended up finding a heavier ornament . Now they can move the little iguana around but he's a bit much to toss out of the bowl.
We have had a flock of parrots back here after the nectarines & plums, They get in the bird bath and have a great time . I can watch them from the window next to the computer.

Anthony what a lovely surprise for you. So many plants to enjoy.
It is very nice that you are donating some for others to enjoy.
I hope you get lots of pleasure from them all.

Hello Bernieh, always nice to see new faces in the Tea Room.
You have a lovely garden.

I am off to say good morning to all the plants.
The sun is creeping out slowly from behind a few clouds so a nice morning to be out .

Heres your morning tea snack...Walnut Brownies..

Stay safe and enjoy your gardens.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
12:40 PM

Post #9414341

Enjoy your trip Al. I hope you have a chance to do some exploring. If I remember my history correctly St Augustine is the oldest continuously settled European site in the country...over 500 years of history there.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
12:43 PM

Post #9414344

Hi Jean...you have Charleen and I crossed...She is in Georgia, and I have bulbs breaking dormancy..grin, but Louisiana has a fair amount of history also...French, Spanish, Creole and the pirate Jean Lafitte...I will be very good today...one brownie as I go strolling through the garden.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 10, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9414553

Sorry Moon. Silly me, I know you are not in Georgia. A granny moment. I must have been half asleep.

I had better get myself outside . The cold wind will wake me up. The sun is out but that wind is straight from the South Pole.

Jean.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
8:11 PM

Post #9414827

Don't give it a second thought, Jean...just glad I am not the only one who does that...Grin

sounds odd to tell you to stay warm during your late summer...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 10, 2013
8:57 PM

Post #9414866

Moon, it will be very warm during the week and I will be glad to keep having those cool mornings & evenings.
I think our little bit of the state here on the hill just gets whats left over in the weather cupboard.
Either that or Mother Nature just uses a dart board to see what she will give us all.
Its lovely outside in the sun but the wind is keeping the temps down to a nice 23C.

I should go back out and find a few large pots. I need to put something really hardy in pots to tidy up the look of the back gate entrance. Its in full sun and everything I put there dies. I think old faithful agapanthus will do nicely.
I have plenty, but may have to wait for rain to be able to dig them out.
I dont want to bend my spade.

Jean.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2013
9:03 PM

Post #9414868

I agree on the pleasure of a cool morning in summer. I do hope you get a few good rains to make the garden happy and protect your spade...grin

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 10, 2013
10:01 PM

Post #9414906

Aggies will look lovely in their pots, Jean...they are such hardy things...
I'm convinced that Autumn has come early, the Camellias are full of buds, even the Rhodos are starting to bud up...
Went to the nursery this morning and discovered these amazing limes.
Boy do they pack a punch...the one that fell off into my hand was about the size of an olive and blood red...they were developed by the CSIRO and at $49.95 they may take a while to catch on...
Naturally I had to taste one...concentrated lemon /lime...they would be brilliant in drinks, on food...
Small bushes like my finger lime...

Anthony, what a windfall for you...take care of that peony...people appreciate you, see.

That trip sounds lovely, Al...looking forward to the pics when you go...
Family pics from you soon, please moon..
You can have an extra brownie too...
Dianne.
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

February 10, 2013
10:06 PM

Post #9414908

Hello from Brisbane..hope everyone is well and gardens are flourishing. Nothing exciting to report. Still slowly sorting through the quickly stashed /piled plants etc after the tree was chopped up.The backyard is now sunnier in the middle than it was and the chooks are really enjoying that. The seven line Hills Hoist got a bit bent and we had to dismantle it so the tree choppers didn't damage it further but we think we have found someone who will repair it. It's massive and I would hate to lose it.
I can state that we have three of the most self centred people as neighbours..next door and the couple over the road. Man OTR has decided our trees are a hazard to his place. He bailed hubby up, never me even though I bought the place etc..the tree in question would be 60 metres from his place...has our front yard, the embankments and the street and footpath and his front yard but he said he watched it swirling in the TC and it could fall on his place. This is the person who removed a large tree with an EPO on his place. Not to be trusted either. Oh dear. Where do these people come from? The tree will squash us before it gets him. I think the council has listed our trees under something anyway..some preservation thing. We got a letter ages ago.
The weather is wonderful..only 29C today and bright blue sunny skies. Amazing how the weather really dominates our lives and, in spite of all Man's inventions, no one can control the weather...yet..It's supposed to rain a bit but that's okay. Really not looking forward to drought again. This is more like Queensland weather with afternoon rain / storms. Everything is looking so green now.
Anyway, happy gardening all.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2013
7:20 AM

Post #9415209

Good Morning to you all.

Aggies will be lovely there Jean. They are rather regally named plants...to be greeted by the "Queen of the Nile" grin

Hi Dianne...just one brownie...getting back down to my "little boy chasing" form again...grin

Kat, nice to see you. Neighbors can be such bloomin' pains sometimes. We lived in our last place for 27 years and for 20 of them the old man next door was a royal pain. Constantly crabbing about any and every thing. Hubby stayed ramped up about it...but I started waiting til the old man and his wife finished their complaints and then would smile and say "I will certainly take your complaints under advisement. Thank you so much for voicing your concerns" and walk away...left them little to say...then one day, the old man complained because our oldest went into his unfenced front yard to retrieve the ball...said "That boy wouldn't be so quick to come into my yard if he ran across a 6 ft rattle snake. It could certainly happen". Hubby went ballistic and was ready to cross the fence for a little mayhem. I turned to Hubby and said "they are old and and mean and ugly spirited...God does not like ugly and He will will deal with them...painfully. Come away". The next week the old man fell off his ladder and broke his shoulder horribly...it was Hubby and I that got him off the ground and called the ambulance...but I could not resist saying..."God doesn't like ugly" with a small smile...his wife was diagnosed with final stage bone and colon cancer about a week later...and passed away just over a month afterwards. Hubby cleaned and cut the old man's yard and we tended his garden and I cleaned his house for the funeral reception and cooked for him. After that he thought my son's were brilliant and my daughter a treasure...and could not sing our praises loud enough to all who came to visit...one day while working in my garden, he called me to the fence to apologize for things...and asked me to please let God know he was sorry...I smiled and told him I would take that under advisement...when he passed away, he left each of my children a small sum in his will...His niece called to thank us for helping him, and as she was hanging up said..."It looks like you won the battle with Carlos and Opal...you killed them both with kindness." I was not insulted.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 11, 2013
1:13 PM

Post #9415702

Good morning everyone.
Its a lovely morning. The cold wind has gone and so are the clouds. Means it will be getting very hot, but weather is weather and we all learn to live with what we have.

Hubby is off this morning to a hearing appointment.
I will be staying home so will play in the garden until the sun gets too hot.
I have a lot of ferns to pot up so can work down in the fern house later.
Its lovely in there with all the green.

Moon, what a lovely story. It goes to show what kindness will do.
How lovely that the old man recognised at the last, that you were what he needed all the time.

Neighbors can be very frustrating at times.
Over time and 3 lots of neighbors , we have had bulls, cows, sheep, dogs, cats,ducks and chooks either getting in doing damage or eating everything over the fence.
On the other hand, plenty of koalas. kangaroos and wallabies are in and out leaving no sign of their ever being here.

I think neighbors are sent to see what sort of people we are. good or bad..

Kat, nice to see you again. I think your fenceman would have snapped my patience long ago.
Sometimes there are those who are just plain nasty and need action taken against them. ( legal of course)

Dianne,isnt it funny how things fall off plants when one walks past...lol
Its Autumn alright. I have more naked ladies running around the garden and nerines are poking up around the place.
The ash trees and willow are losing their leaves too .

Anthony, you are going to have such fun with your new plants. Deciding which to keep and where to put them.
I could send Carpet down to bring a few here to help you make room ..lol

Al, you are going to really enjoy the Florida sunshine. I see on the news about the blizzard over there and all that snow.
Here , where we never see snow, it so hard to imagine fighting ones way through feet of the stuff.
Makes me feel very grateful for our milder weather, even if it does annoy me sometimes.

Charleen, I am still laughing at the sight of "mudball Charley "
Such expressions he gets on his face.
I found a few muddy dog prints around the kitchen so I think there was a TBo in the mud with Charley.

Hello to anyone else looking in.
Heres an old favorite for morning tea...Chocolate Cake...

Happy day and stay safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 11, 2013
3:51 PM

Post #9415873

You just have to love Autumn don't you ?

It has come early for some of the plants for sure. (see a couple of pics.)

I have had my share of neighbours ...which is why I enjoy rural living. I wish no one any ill will, because I believe it will come back at you. Wishing they would move is what I wished. The worst one sat our the roof with a carving knife, as the police yelled at me to stay in the house. He was a wife basher who hated me for taking his wife and child in, after violent domestics.In the end he went to jail for stabbing her. Lots of others neighbour stories, but I don't dwell on them, just to say I am so glad we moved.

I hope everyone is well, and for we Aussies and Kiwis, I am sure we are looking forward to the relief that Autumn brings with her as she starts to dress in her pretty golden and red tones. For you gardeners over the pond, I am sure you look forward to your Spring after all that snow ! though funny how some places over there are enjoying milder Winter temps.

Well this is this morning (pics) My beautiful Hungarian Blacks are turning a beautiful red- had to take a picture or two before picking the ripe reds ! ...so you pick the green ones for a capsicum flavour, the black for a mild but very fruity flavour, last the red for a nice chilli hit but not too hot ! As you may guess I love this one most of all, covered in fruit ! and so pretty to the eye.
Third pic is sweet peppers !

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100      

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 11, 2013
5:43 PM

Post #9416027

Ha Ha !-Jean, you'd need carpet towing a box trailer,.,.,.I've given them some care and quite a few are responding..Anthony
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

February 11, 2013
10:25 PM

Post #9416258

What a really lovely story, Moon. Thank you for sharing it. .makes me feel a whole lot more charitable. I never let them see me get heated as I know they are always baiting. I just think they both had unhappy childhoods, especially the two over the road. He's 29 years older than she is, she thought she was marrying someone rich, he belittles her and now the young boys do too. She obviously had an emotionally abusive father to accept it, and seek it in the first place.He used his own siblings after his parents died to have the old house sold and, therefore, the sibling who had been the carer was evicted.Very sad. They both deal with things in a way that shows poor negotiation skills. Temporary but nice neighbour had a dog, rarely got out but a few times it wandered out.This is a popular dogwalking route.These two collected doggy poop and smeared it over the handrails of neighbour's steps. That is just one of many similar instances that show they never learnt how to deal with pople on a mature level. I always smile, have a chat and ask how they are. They fill our bins up; I wait till night and place it back as, when I ignored it, we ran out of room very quickly. Just sad souls, bringing up another generation who bully and stomp over people.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 12, 2013
1:38 AM

Post #9416283

I have been incredibly lucky with my neighbours, had one who was a bit odd but he had been in a motor bike accident & was a bit brain damaged.

My ex partner & I treated him with respect, I think this came as a total surprise to him as most of the neighbours treated him with contempt.
He had an issue with the guttering on our house leaking onto his garden, it had been like that for a long time & the previous owner/tenants did nothing.
We fixed it straight away as we could see it was ruining the garden.

He had a dog that barked like mad every time we set foot out the back door - right on the boundary fence.
So we asked what the dog's name was & made a point of telling Basil what a good dog he was.
Within days the barking stopped.
When the neighbours on the other side tried to have the council take Basil away for excessive barking we spoke against the idea.
The only reason Basil barked at that side was their 3 year old rode his trike up & down the foot path & banged on the fence setting poor Basil into a frenzy.
I would imagine any of my dogs would have done the same but we were lucky to have them out the back away from teasing children.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 12, 2013
2:05 AM

Post #9416285

I live in a nice'wish I could say quiet' Cul De Sac..Except for the filthy thieving scum dogs, we had renting, next door for 7 months, a few years back, things flow pretty smoothly here 'MIDDLE CLASS PROUD',.visitors and relatives seem to make the most noise.. and dont you love those people who have to blow the car horn , as they drive off waving, no more than 10 feet away..My 'noisy neighbors get 'quiet' when I wave goodbye to their 'HORNY BLOWING" visitors, and yell out , 'see you later, dont come back'..and when 'Harbajan Singh' comes up to pick somebody up in his little electric taxi, 'blowing the horn'-I go out and tell him, "I had only just gotten to sleep, after a 12 hr shift'-'could you show some respect for other people?'...As I get older, I think I less tolerate disrespectful people..I grew up In the old school..Treat people as you would like to be treated,.,.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2013
5:50 AM

Post #9416403

Got the flu, Was down for a day or so, but feeling somewhat better.
Mule must have hopped over the gate to steal the cake. I know he loved it.
This flu even has affected my eyes. but I am getting better. Told hubby it was a Heck of a Valentine, he gave me...:-)
You all take it easy and stay healthy...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9416555

Sorry you have been sick Charleen. Glad you are feeling better.. All this nasty weather doesn't help, I'm sure.

Thanks. My Mum had very strict rules for us about dealing with others...especially our "elders" and a list of "adages"...If you can't say something nice...be quiet, A slap in the face gets two in return, You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, (that one always confused me...why would I want flies in the first place? grin) and of course like Anthony, do unto others...but my favorite was always "When met with adversity, kill it with kindness."

Kat, it is most astute of you to recognize the neighbors' mental/emotional problems and kind in the way you deal with them. A bit of that honey and vinegar thing...grin. That being said, lots of folks had unhappy childhoods, but managed to rise above it and be good folks...they just seem really mean spirited and hollow.

Teresa, makes you wonder why folks don't understand that animals deserve a bit of respect also...poor Basil was just doing his job. Good on you for standing for him.

Hope you all have a lovely day

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 12, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9416832

Good morning everyone. A bit chilly here but will be very warm by lunchtime.
Not much to do outside until I get more potting mix but I am sure I can find a few weeds to pull out.

Al. I hope you are staying warm there and that no snowstorms have invaded your area.

Charleen, I hope you are feeling much better by now. Not nice to be ill .
I'll send you some nice cakes with Charley.
hmmmm, that might not be a good idea, they would never make it home if I know Charley...lol

Moon, I remember my Nan with all those old sayings . Mum used to use them too.
Neighbors can be good friends , but there are those that need to move way out away from people. .
Its funny, but it seems that these days there are more bad than good ones.
Must be a a more modern thing, as I grew up living in several places and always found neighbors to be good.
I cannot remember any bad ones.
Sure , some were a little odd at times but that was tolerated and smiled at.
I think it very sad that neighborhoods are not as they used to be .
Talking over the fence, checking on other houses when people were away.
Kids like us running in and out of each others homes.
There were always a few outside chatting and helping with any jobs around the place.

Anthony, I hope you are enjoying sorting through all your new plants.
I know what fun I had when I bought the large collection of epis etc. and kept finding lovely surprises among them.

Teresa, I am glad Basil had you for neighbors. It must be so frustrating for dogs when humans annoy them , so no wonder they bark.
I do not like barking dogs at all. I know its not their fault and I have never understood how owners can live with their animals continually barking .
Are they all deaf ?
I am sure Copper and Sugar are way too polite to bark at neighbors. ( unless they have good reason, of course )

I have had many dogs over the years and when they barked, I always went out to see why, as they never barked unless something was prowling around.

Hello Dianne, I am sure Miss Tilly is a perfect lady too and would not lower herself to bark at mere humans...lol

I will see what I can find in the kitchen for morning tea...
Here we are...Chocolate Peanut Squares..

Enjoy your day and stay safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 12, 2013
2:30 PM

Post #9416902

We've been very fortunate with neighbours thank goodness, considering all of our moves we have never had a disagreement with anyone..

Though I had an incident once while walking my son's beautiful old bull terrier, a person who lived a couple of streets away, let out his 2 cattle dogs as we walked past and they flew at dear gentle Spot who was on his leash...
You hear about the power of their jaws, well I saw it in action as he grabbed one of the dogs by the head, while I was trying to kick the other one...the owner came racing out and grabbed that dog and clipped on it's lead...then he tried to get the other one out of Spot's mouth, poor Spotty was all bloodied after their attack and there was no way that he was going to let go one of his attackers...so in desperation I told the owner to get the garden hose, then I squirted water into Spot's face, so he let go of the dog...

The owner was very apologetic of course, but if Spot had been a little dog he would have been in shreds...
All the way home my poor dog whimpered and looked at me as if to say why...he was such a gentle, happy animal and you could see that he was really upset...luckily the cuts were all superficial and he looked a lot worse than he was, being all white...
Spot never barked at anyone and he loved everyone...

Jean, I'm sorry to say that Miss Tilly is totally different, she barks at everything, man or beast and dogs on TV...
She especially loves the time between 8 and 8.30 when the kids go past on their way to school...she goes to every window in the front of the house, chasing the kids...but I have a secret weapon...a spray bottle of water...as soon as I pick it up, she doesn't utter another bark.
So she runs up and down the house , just growling to herself about what she will do to the kids if she could only get them..lol
How could this little angel turn into such a demon...
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2013
4:04 PM

Post #9416997

Good Morning.

Jean, I think it is due to the fact that so few parents teach the value of those sayings to their children. So many small actions that my parents nor my husband and I would tolerate are just over-looked. And unfortunately, some of the best life lessons are in the small details. I see young children speak to adults in a manner that would have appalled
us, as a child or adult,and it is considered "cute or precocious" by the parents who laugh it off...too many years off not wanting to stifle creativity or dust up "delicate" egos...tsk tsk tsk

The Beagles have three different barks when they are out. One for strangers, one for other animals and a very happy excited one for folks they know. Tells me how quickly I need to get to the door...grin
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 12, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9417170

Dianne, how could anything with such a cute face ever be naughty...lol
I'm sure Miss Tilly is only letting you know that ankle biters are in the area...

I had a beautiful, most placid labrador years ago when my kids were small. She would only bark if someone tried to enter the side gate.
The kids over the back, although usually never a problem, had a friend who played there often. He would ( unknown to me ) often poke a stick at my dog or throw stones over the fence at her.
One day I was talking the the neighbors kids when this young visitor also got up on the fence.
My labrador just jumped up and carefully grabbed his sleeve then pulled . She was very gentle and careful not to touch the boy with her teeth but he hung over the fence very frightened. My neighbor came out and sent him home. She gave her kids a good talking to about letting friends be naughty there.
The so called friend was not seen again around there and we had a good laugh at how the dog taught him a lesson.

Moon, I am convinced that someone ( probably the people police ) has altered the dictionary so that words like
respect, responsibility and truthfulness are no longer around.
We were taught that all adults were to be given respect.
Anyone older was greeted with Mr or Mrs unless and an uncle or aunt . Never first names for adults.
Remember the old saying that children should be seen but not heard ?
Even if one was in the right, you never argued with an adult.

Respect for oneself is the basis of a good society.
If you cannot respect yourself , you will never respect others.

Taking responsibility for ones actions was also taught to us. If we did something , we had to own up and take the punishment.
If someone had an accident , maybe fell off a swing at school or tripped over something, you did not run to mummy so she could sue, you got up and dusted yourself off then got on with life.

Enough of my soapbox. I do get so annoyed with todays generation though. Always too eager to blame someone .
Heres a spring pic to brighten the day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 12, 2013
9:48 PM

Post #9417317

That pic of your garden is beautiful, Jean...it looks idyllic...now that's a word I don't use too often...lol

Dianne.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
5:28 AM

Post #9417470

Good Day Sunshine...oops...I mean we have sunshine today...first time since Sunday.

Unfortunately, Jean, it seems common sense has taken a holiday in regards to raising children...sad really for in the long run it is the children and the future generations that suffer...

I agree with Dianne, that is a lovely garden.

Hope you all have a good day

Moon
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9417497

Dianne, that is a fearless looking guard dog you have there. Funny how they would do anything in their power to protect us from harm.

Beautiful garden Jean, I'm still picking out my new seeds for Spring!

Good Day All!

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2013
6:46 AM

Post #9417543

I love the little fuzz ball, it is so cute. This is my fuzz ball. NOT!!! He is more like a Tanker!!!! but a beautiful baby.
Still fighting it but getting little better., sun has finally decided to shine. Yeaaaaaaaaa!!! Say s the weatherman, "going to dry up a bit" Then it gets cold. then rain is coming back. It will help the gardens thou. so glad for that...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2013
7:16 AM

Post #9417579

Glad you are feeling better Charleen. That T-bo is a cute rascal. I am sure he and Miss Tilly would have a fair romp together...grin Tank must be what the T stands for now.

I spoke too soon about the sunshine here. Shortly after I posted that the wind picked up and the clouds rolled in and weatherman says they are here for the day, but only a few showers...it was 57 F (14C) when I got up this morning, but has dropped to 53F (11C). They do say tomorrow will be sunny with a high of 62F (16C)...I am more than ready for the sunshine...of course, this summer when the temps are near 100F (37C) I am sure I will wonder where all the cool weather went...silly humans...never satisfied.

Dianne, here folks have problems with Pit Bulls. Unfortunately most of the problems come from owners not properly raising/training the poor Pits. As with a number of breeds, they are naturally protective of their territory and can be aggressive about it if not properly trained.Unfortunately, it is the owner that usually fosters that aggression.

A close friend of mine raised one from a pup...the dog's name was Besame (bessie mae), the Spanish word for kiss me. From the day she got her, that dog loved to give kisses and in the 13 years she had Besame, the dog never displayed any aggressive tendencies beyond barking when someone came into the yard. She would run to the door and do her barking from the steps. Donna got a male Pit after Besame passed on and his name is Biser (Bee say) the french word for kiss...he is considerably larger than Besame, but every bit as gentle.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 13, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9417905

Good morning everyone. Its very peaceful and mild outside at the moment. No wind and the sun isnt yet above the trees. That will all change very soon if the weather bureau forecast is right. We are expecting very hot days of over 39C for the next week along with more wind.
Its shopping day today so I hope the heat holds off until we finish.
The picture is of what part of the garden looks like during Spring and early Summer. I will add a pic of what it looks like now until the rains arrive.

Moon , you are right about dog owners, but sadly there are still some dogs with naturally savage tendencies. Again, its usually the fault of idiot humans breeding for these traits.
It should be compulsory for dog owners to attend obedience classes to learn how to behave and also how to teach their dogs to behave.

I often watch the animal protection rescue shows and am always appalled at what people can do to animals who readily forgive them anything.

Al, dont study those catalogues too hard, you may end up with a long list of so many plants you want .

Charleen, TBo might be growing fast, but that cute face is so huggable.
Hello Dianne, Anthony, Teresa and anyone else popping in for a cuppa. Must move as I want to water a couple of pot before we leave.

Heres something tasty for morning tea and a garden pic taken a few days ago. Hard to believe it will be a mass of green in a few months.

Yummy Berry Shortcake...

Happy day and stay safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset         

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9418268

He is so kissable. Love that silly dog. He loves to eat. He wants to eat everything. Hubby was fussing about"not any fun to eat anything. even a dang carrot." the dog wanted the carrot. Yep, he ate it!!!!
He is helping "daddy" by eating his food...:-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 13, 2013
6:57 PM

Post #9418344

Moon, it's the same here with the pit bulls, they have such a bad reputation, if you own one in Victoria, it has to be registered and not go out without a muzzle...trouble is, most people wouldn't know a pit bull from a Boxer/Staffordshire/Bull terrier and so anything that even looks slightly like them is callled a pit bull and that's where their bad rep comes from...most of the dogs that are dangerous are crosses anyway, you wonder what their owners are crossed with...morons.
Remember the old song Besame mucho...

Charleen, I get the feeling that T-Bo is fast becoming your favourite...he is a lovely boy though...

Al, it won't be long before those seeds start to arrive, when do you start preparing your beds?
Tilly is fearless, except when we go to markets and they have a loudspeaker on...she is petrified of them, straight up into my arms she shoots and stays there until we have finished browsing...
This little flower is a Sida fallax 'Butterkin'... I've never heard of it before but I bought it last Summer and it's flowering now...the pic is very deceptive as that flower is only about 1 ins wide and it has lovely mid green leaves, I'll keep it in a pot as long as I can...

Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 13, 2013
11:06 PM

Post #9418484

Irresponsible dog owners would have to be my pet hate...
I love teaching my classes, people who enroll want to be responsible owners & are willing to put the work in.
Copper has his aggression issues but not toward humans, although he hates people looking over our fence & nuts off.
We had a family living next door a few years ago & the young boy would climb onto the fence & hang over trying to touch Copper as Copper leapt up barking & carrying on like a mad thing...
Had Copper met this child on the ground he would have been all licks & tail wags but because of the height factor he didn't recognise him as a child.
It really worried me even though if Copper had really wanted to I'm sure he could have reached the boy & had a piece of him.
Just to be on the safe side I would make sure to go out & supervise, asking the boy not to 'play' with my dog had no effect, but I think the boy was just a bit young to understand that Copper wasn't having fun & the barking was annoying to other neighbours.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2013
6:23 AM

Post #9418668

Younger children are very reactionary,,,when they do something and get a response like Copper's, they get excited and think it is fun...so they do it over and over... I really think there should be a course required for anyone who is bringing an animal into their home environment...actually also for anyone bringing a child into their environment...as common sense and a sense of responsibility seem to be lacking in both these days...sorry...no more soapbox.

That is a lovely color Dianne. Such a cheery little flower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZSADBhXBm4

Have a good shopping day Jean, perhaps an orphan may find its way into your cart...grin
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2013
6:49 AM

Post #9418720

Have a Great Ste. Valentine's Day Everyone!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9418776

Aw, Girl, I love all my furbabys...
Happy Valentines to all...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 14, 2013
12:33 PM

Post #9419057

Good morning everyone.Its overcast here, but still very warm.
None of the storms moving around came here last night.
Not that I wanted all that lightning but a bit of rain would have been nice.
Plenty of fires started by the lightning but as far as I know, nothing too serious.
I found no orphans yesterday. There wasnt even an orphan table .
I bought more potting mix and gave myself a present with another brom from eBay.
I think the broms and brugs are slowly pushing the irises out of my favorites list.

Of course I will love the irises when they all bloom again, but for most of the year, they just sit neglected. I dont water them at all and the weeds tend to grow more out there.

Hello Moon, Al and Charleen. hope all is well over your way.
Spring will soon be there.
Al, I do hope the snow is leaving you alone.

Teresa, I hope you are enjoying some nice weather there too.
Give the furry ones a pat for me.

Anthony, how are you doing with all the new plants ?
Lots of potting for you to do.

Dianne, you had rain ???
That was my bit, now I now why it never got here...lol

I am off to dig up some of the irises I have sold. Have to get out early before the heat hits again.

I hope you all enjoyed Valentines Day.
Heres a tasty valentines Day treat. A bit late but you will all still enjoy it...Chocolate Heart Cake.

Happy day stay safe,
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9419190

I made Robert Brownies, Baked round steak, baked potatoes and carrots for dinner. he comes in with a Valentine Ice cream cake from Dairy Queen. Boy was I surprised...
Boys send you Valentine love, My red and an orange Amaryllis, Teddy bear a friend sent me in swap and a velvet leaf Philodendron.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 14, 2013
4:56 PM

Post #9419267

Moon. I love that version with Tino Rossi...then on the right of that I saw all these Antonio Banderas clips...WOW
That took up about an hour, haven't seen him in a while and forgot how gorgeous he was...
Not as gorgeous as Al and Anthony...but pretty close...

Al, I like your taste in Valentine's Day gifts...I love M & M's...specially the peanut ones...
Cute Teddy, Charleen, That T-Bo has his face in everywhere...Nice idea the ice cream cake...

It's "clean the old grubby pots" day for me, so after Antonio it's pretty boring...
See this fluffy pink flower, it's from a Syzygium, it's a weeper called 'Cascade'...it's 3yrs old and this is the first time it's flowered and just starting to weep, very pretty...

Sorry Jean, but the majority of that rain went east, passed me too except for a couple of showers...
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 15, 2013
1:42 AM

Post #9419550

Ah, blushing , Dianne... NAB starts tonight!!!-

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9419636

That was the original (for me) version of the song...and yes, what could be nicer than a handsome man with a sense of humor...grin Just like our fellows here.

Lots to be done today...hope you all have a lovely weekend

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 15, 2013
1:44 PM

Post #9420100

Good morning everyone.
I'm late again. I have been wandering the threads once more and forgot the time.
I was also outside for awhile getting a few plant pics.
Very smoky here due to lots of fires around after lightning strikes yesterday.
Nothing close to here though.
Hubby has gone for the day. He is manning the gate at the showgrounds for the local show.
Its going to be very hot but the organisers put up a shady pergola thingy at the gate and keep those on the gate supplied with food and cool drinks.

I will be sitting here inside in the cool for most of the day. I may do a bit of potting this morning as I have a couple of broms to pot up.

Hello Al, love your Valentines Day yummies. I like M&Ms too.

Charleen, I hope you enjoyed your icecream cake. What a lovely thought.
Hugs for Charley and friends.

Moon, thats a beautiful song.
My favorite male singers are the tenors .
Of course there are others on the list like my teenage heartthrob, Elvis.
I could add a lot of the singers from the 50s.
I also like the old time country & western singers.
My favorite female singer has to be Barbra Streisand.

Dianne, very pretty fluffy flower.
I have more naked ladies popping up. Its getting to be a regular nudist colony here.
I wonder where the naked men are? ...lol

Hello Teresa, Anthony and everyone else looking in.
I had better get a move on as the sun is already heating up out there.

Heres a nice treat for morning tea...Meringue Hearts.

Stay cool ( or warm )
Take care and stay safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2013
2:26 PM

Post #9420163

I should have enough icecream cake for 5-6 more servings. It is ice cream surrounding a cookie type base. Very good, But my brownies are better.
See me get fluffy...
My new Unicorn Dragon

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule         

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 15, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9420471

Wow it's hot out there, 30C...

Love the colour of the little dragon, Charleen...save me a piece of ice cream cake please..
Yes, Anthony...it's on again, thank goodness...too much cricket this year...
I was very pleased with the Bombers performance, even if it was enhanced...now don't say anything...lol
Cats tonight...
Jean, I hope that Robert doesn't buy you a Cadbury showbag...it would end up to be chocolate soup in this heat...
Those naked ladies are everywhere at the moment and they are so pretty especially all that pink against dry, yellow grass..

For anyone who liked Guy Mitchell, here is Sparrow in the Treetop, I should never go onto youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwnwE3j06Dc
Keep cool or warm what ever applies.
Dianne
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 16, 2013
1:30 AM

Post #9420602

Where abouts are those 'naked ladies' ,Dianne,.I Havnt seen one in years!!!!!.Memories came flooding back this afternoon, [not of naked ladies], but a young lady and her husband[customers],who visited today...This young lady was a reproduction , of a beautiful young girl who used to ''hang with the clan of school leavers'', 33 years ago...'I couldnt help, but to look at her face'...MEMORIES!!...sadly these 2 really need help with plant growing,.,.I thought..You are listening, but not hearing..as their eyes dart around like a child in a lolly shop.,.//They reckoned I looked and sounded like 'Don Bourke",.,."" give me a home amongst the gum trees, with lots of lilies, 2 galahs and a cockatoo''--and Sooty,.,.,.,..,,.,.,.,.Anthony[DON]
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 16, 2013
1:35 AM

Post #9420604

could have done with ice cream cake today...
warm & sunny, I had to work but it was a good day & I got a lot done.
Hopefully the boss will be impressed on Monday :)
Dog training tomorrow, hope for a fine morning as the weather is predicted to change to rain.
As long as it holds off till after 12 noon I won't mind.
The garden could use a good soak.
Managed 1/2 dozen cherry tomatoes with dinner tonight, it is getting chilly at night so i am not sure the other tomatoes will ripen before the first frost hits.
Crazy weather, at least the 'heat wave' meant last month's power bill is only $100.00.
Yay!]
And if they really do fix the chimney before winter the bills will be more affordable than the last two winters have been.
take care all
Teresa
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 16, 2013
1:37 AM

Post #9420607

Oh Anthony I was singing along with your version there...
lol!!!
For a heavy metal fan I do enjoy singing along with the other 2 kinds of music - county & western ;)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2013
6:55 AM

Post #9420783

Good Morning

Back when I was 14, my Spanish teacher introcuced us to what else...Spanish music. This is my favorite...(I close my eyes and see Antonio Banderas) GRIN

The group is called The Gipsy Kings...this song is Un Amor...Spanish love songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IqpaLPIqTA

and Bambeleo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mifnMC_Kn1Q

I love listening to them while working in the garden...I think it makes the plants happy too...grin
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2013
7:30 AM

Post #9420810

I do enjoy listening to the oldies from 60's and 70's. Elvis was the greatest, but Ricky Nelson, Frankie Valle, and many others were good also. I think Olivia Newton-John was one of the best female singers ever. Old memories of past times never seem to go away!

This "thumpy, thumpy, bump" music we hear just doesn't make it for me, but kids seem to enjoy. We were rebels in our own time too, remember?

Al

This message was edited Feb 16, 2013 10:37 AM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9420864

I agree Al...hard to beat the 60's/70's...add in the 50's and you have the roots for most all "popular" music today. As far as country&western music goes, I am a big fan of old C&W...Jimmy Rodgers, Hank Williams Sr. Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, Hank Snow, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Eddy Arnold, Slim Whitman...Cowboy music and then the ladies...Kitty Wells, June Carter, Mama Maybell Carter. One of my favorite groups does a lot of covers of music from then, Riders in The Sky...such pure tones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIH1St6Cllc

and the original Tex Owens release in 1934
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxSqD79TU_Y

I was a Ricky Nelson girl...grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyU2pGWA6Jc

This message was edited Feb 16, 2013 10:51 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 16, 2013
3:12 PM

Post #9421218

Good morning everyone
puff puff, pant pant...

I was watering then came in and got caught wandering the threads.
I hope noone was very thirsty.

It was very hot and humid yesterday and same today.
It is forecast to be still hot until the weekend then temps lower for a few days before going back up again. Its been the warmest summer for a while here. A real summer with more hot days than this corner of the place normally gets.
I can live without it...lol

Moon and Al, you must both be in my age group as I love all those singers too.
I think it was the best time for music. As you say, the roots of most of the modern music.
I know each generation has its particular type of music but through the 50s & 60s music was just that...music.
Singers could sing without a lot of screaming & yelling .
Dont even mention that awful rap they seem to love these days. I would never attempt to call it any sort of music.

Moon I remember all those you named. Brings back many memories.
I still have a box of tapes here from back then.

Strangely , although my kids were born through the 60s & 70s and loved their own music, they used to like listening to my tapes too.
My middle daughter fell in love with Hank Williams snr. and Slim Whitman.

Al, my teenage bedroom wall was an Elvis gallery. ( along with Captain Kirk of course. I am a Star Trek fan.)

Anthony, I can just picture you wandering through the gum trees with cocky on your shoulder and a few lilies in your hand. You are much better looking than Don Burke...lol

Teresa, what has Miss Mischief been up to ?
Nice to have tomatoes from your own garden, I have several starting to ripen. I hope I get them before the birds.
Heavy metal ????/ that not music...lol
Hubby is also a fan of that stuff. Thank goodness he doesnt play any now.

Dianne, hubby was home here by 2.30 from the show. It got too hot and noone was coming in by then so they sent him home. He was glad to be out of the heat too. Lucky he had a large umbrella to sit under there but still very hot and humid.
We had our icecream for tea..

Charleen, I love your little dragon, so cute.
I could come and help you eat that icecream cake.
Give Charley and friends a hug.
I am going to go check on all the plants now . Just making sure they all have had their drink. Have to make sure all the swimming pools are full for the birds too. They look for them in this heat.
The magpies like to stand in them..

Something nice for morning tea...Apple Tart. ..

Keep cool ( or warm ) and stay safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 16, 2013
3:49 PM

Post #9421260

Jean, If I had cocky on my shoulder,...where was my ear?- no doubt lying on the ground, next to my finger!!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 16, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9421290

lol - the weasel has been good so far today.
Had some nice work from her at training, am getting closer to wanting to enter her in competition.
We had rain predicted so I wore my thicker merino top, the weather cleared & was fine, I was cooking.
The gardens are hanging out for good rainfall, some areas are in drought.
Waiheke Island is parched & people are having to buy in water to fill their tanks.
http://waiheke.aucklandnz.com/

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 16, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9421291

Moon, I saw Ricky Nelson when I was 15, he was so shy and a bit overwhelmed by the size of the Stadium and all the screaming girls...I didn't scream, just gazed lovingly...he was about 19 then I think.
I have read so many versions of his life, you just don't know what to believe..was his wife the victim or the culprit, I think that they were just too young and too spoilt...your thoughts?
Don't forget Frankie Laine...I still have my LP's...

I miss Don Burke's show...I rarely watch all of Better Homes and Gardens, too much home and not enough garden...Now I watch the English gardening show on ch 72 at 6pm each night...I like the presenters and it looks so cool after a hot day here...lol
Watching the way they kept their fruit and veg in the old days in Winter, was fascinating...they dug a hole, lined it with straw, put in the carrots, covered them with soil and more straw, put a breather pipe in the top and they kept for months and longer...

Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 16, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9421313

forgot to say that my first ever concert was John Denver... had to save my pocket money to pay for the ticket.
I wanted to go see Kiss but my parents wouldn't let me.
Consoled myself with posters all over my walls & playing my cassettes as loud as I could get away with.
When I moved to ChCh the first concert was a Best of British... 3 bands -
Dave Dee, Dozey, Beaky, Mick & Titch, The Marmalade & Tremeloes.
'Silence is Golden' sung a capella was brilliant.
Also went to the Enz of an Era concert by Split Enz.
Eurythmics rocked the Town Hall.
Dire Straits had to be held on Lancaster Park because they were so popular.
And then there were the pub bands & night clubs with live music.
If I could get up & dance I was in heaven.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 16, 2013
10:25 PM

Post #9421522

Sounds as though you had a lot of fun...Teresa...I still love the Eurythmics..

I have to print a retraction...I just saw Antonio Banderas in a Wrigleys ad and he looks older than me...
So he's off the list...

Jean, it's raining all the way from Cairns to Newcastle...where's our's...
Dianne.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 17, 2013
1:53 AM

Post #9421567

and ours, we are melting!!!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 17, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9422137

Good morning everyone.
Its very muggy here this morning as it was all night. We usually get cooler nights even after high day temps.
More to come hubby keeps telling me.
The plants are doing okay as I water them regularly . Maybe I should stand in a pot and get watered too...lol
The bromeliads are liking the weather though. It suits them.

Dianne, those Queenslanders are getting far too much rain that belongs down here. Maybe we need a large drainage ditch down to us.

Anthony, Cocky tells me he would never think of biting you. You malign him terribly. He may nibble a bit, but never bite...lol

A bit like Charley mule never nicking any cakes from the Tea Room.
Charleen, give Charley a hug. I dont really mind him cleaning up the uneaten cookies with TBo.

Teresa, Beware of well behaved little Miss. She may be plotting something.
I hope your chimney etc are all done before winter.

Moon, spring is coming your way. I just feel it.

Al, put the catalogues away. You will have lots to do soon.
Looking forward to seeing all your spring flowers.

Dianne, keep that bikini on and enjoy Tilly's little pool...lol

I'm off to wrap some irises I sold.
I'll find something for morning tea as i go through the kitchen.

Here we are...I am sure I saw that someone had a birthday so enjoy the Birthday Cake...

Keep cool ( or warm )

happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 17, 2013
6:41 PM

Post #9422463

Come and sit in the pool with me Jean, it's too hot for anything else...
We could go down to the beach but the north wind is up and about...

Couldn't even eat the cake...
Back when it's cooler...
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 17, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9422486

Hang on , Dianne, I have to squeeze all the wrinkly bits into the bikini...lol
You had better put a blindfold on Tilly or she will run off in shock at the sight...
bloody hot here too.
Jean.
rcoope23
Newcastle
Australia

February 17, 2013
9:48 PM

Post #9422563

Hello to everyone, I just thought I would stroll over here and introduce myself. I ham a 24 year old mother of one and I love to garden. I think I might find lots of fellow minded people here. I am really interested in self sufficiency and I want a garden that will fill some of our food needs and also give enjoyment as well. I was raised on Grass Roots and Earth Garden magazines and I really love the idea of living simply and frugally. Our new house is in Newcastle and is a completely blank slate as far as a garden is concerned.
Look forward to meeting some of you fellow Aussies and learning from you all. I am really a beginner gardener and sorry ahead of time for hassling you with my basic questions.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 17, 2013
11:19 PM

Post #9422572

well the builders came today & started demolishing the chimney.
Slight issue with the power company, they refuse to shift the cables where the power lines come in.
OSH won't allow work done within 3 metres of live cables.
No worries - just turn the power off during the day while the work is being done.
The builder didn't like that idea as he was worried about the food in the freezer.
Should be fine as we won't be home opening it, they had the power off when the scaffolding went up & the top half of the chimney came down.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 18, 2013
2:52 AM

Post #9422627

Man Alive- We are melting here...even cocky is silenced!!!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2013
5:45 AM

Post #9422747

Good Morning

Sending thoughts of icy lakes and snow-capped mountains to you all. We have had frosty mornings the past few days with lots of chilly winds...Spring can't come soon enough for me...I swear my ancestors must have been cold blooded...anything below 15C makes me search for my blanket...such a Wuss...grin

Poor Antonio...he will be 53 this year.But, I think I could keep my eyes closed and just listen to his voice...grin After all, he is only 9 years younger than I am...that wouldn't really be cradle-robbing...snicker snort...ahem...

Welcome to the Tea Room Rcoope. You have stumbled onto a very knowledgeable group of folks here and they are very kind and welcoming.

The daffodils are up and one has bloomed and my Z Drouhin rose has buds. The irises are starting to poke up their heads and my little Shredded Brug is leafing out...and all the dratted weeds are starting to poke up their heads...hopefully the rain will stay clear for a few days so I can get the weeds out and new mulch in...Gardening is such a Circle Game.

Teresa, know you are tickled they are finally getting to your chimney. It has been a long wait for you.

Good thoughts to you all for a cooler day

Moon

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2013
5:56 AM

Post #9422776

Tea room Cougars, Watch out AL. :-) Guess who got the last half of the ice cream cake??? Yep, I could just see my rump getting worse than it already is. Charley got some and did You all know TBo loves to eat ice cream from a spoon or fork. such a sophisticated little bully...???
Beautiful and cold here. 24* wish I could send it your way.
You all take it easy.
Love and nuzzles to all...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 18, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9423382

Good morning everyone.
Yes, I know I'm late opening the door, but my plants have to have their drink first.There a lot of very limp looking plants out there but with the cool change they will soon perk up.
I am thinking about putting a cardigan on this morning, but the cool is certainly lovely after all the heat.
It will get hot again in a few days so I had better enjoy the cool while I can.

Hello rcoope.
You are welcome here and I hope you will tell us a bit about your garden.
We all have our favorite plants and are always interested in hearing about others.

Anthony, are you still there. I had visions of you and Cocky melting into a blob on the path .
I hope all the liliums are not cooked.
How are you doing with all the new plants ?

Dianne, I saw you in the bikini sitting in the pool . I sent Carpet to take a pic...lol

Moon, imagine yourself a few million years ago, sitting in the same place.
You would have been very cold with all those glaciers etc around.
I love watching those Nat. Geo. shows about what our Earth was like way back.
I dont think it would have been good for the garden having those dinosaurs walking around though.

Al, thanks for the bit of cooler weather.
Its very nice at the moment.

Teresa, it must be a real relief to finally see things moving on the chimney repairs.
You can look forward to a more comfortable winter.
Hope the Weasel is behaving.

Charleen, you ate all that icecream cake...???
I know Charley wouldnt eat it all, he has such good manners...lol
Dear TBo, such elegance. Next thing he will want his dinner on a plate at the table.
Give him a hug for me.

Hello everyone else. I am off outside to enjoy the cool while it lasts...

Heres your morning tea nibbles...Orange Date Muffins..

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2013
4:11 PM

Post #9423537

The dogs are bad enough Jean...much less some multi-ton big footed lizard clomping around...grin Can't you see them taking a nibble and OOPs there goes another shrub...GRIN

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 18, 2013
5:39 PM

Post #9423636

moon, you must send a pic of your rose when it's in bloom...I love the old roses, especially the Bourbons, I had quite a collection of them at one stage...now I can only have a select few...the one below is a David Austin called 'The Endeavour' it's a beautiful thing...

You're right about Antonio's voice...it's that spanish accent...when Julio Iglesias came over to Australia in the 80's a friend and I were very close to the front and he was gorgeous, especially when he sang "Moonlight Lady"...
His son is cute but we'll leave him to this generation...lol

Jean, just imagine the amount of manure, we could collect from those gigantic vegetarian dinosaurs...in one day we would have enough for 6 months..

Welcome recoope23, what have you done so far in your garden?

Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 19, 2013
3:16 AM

Post #9423960

well the builders are trying to get on with the job but the power company won't play nice.
They refuse to turn the power off to our house during the time the workers are there & put it back on at night...
Apparently it is a 1 metre clearance the builders need from the power lines & the idea was to have the lines shifted temporarily to the edge of the gable end.
Power company wants to have planning engineers in to design the job.
The other option is to have a generator for the fridge & we move out for the time it takes to get the chimney done.
It couldn't be simple & straight forward could it ?!!
Meanwhile our lounge is really cold now with it being pretty much open to the outside - only the firebox of the pellet burner plugging the hole.

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre

rcoope23
Newcastle
Australia

February 19, 2013
4:27 AM

Post #9423979

Hi everyone,
My main interest in gardening is growing things that can be eaten or put to use. I eventually plan on having a completely edible garden, with scented flowers to attract bees and butterflies. I have a long way to go and a lot of money to spend before I reach that goal. I am reading The Wilderness Garden by Jackie French which I am finding very inspiring.
so far I have put in a vege patch with zucchini, cabbage, sweet corn, tomatoes, broccoli and purple king beans and I am watching with great satisfaction as they get bigger day by day. I have also planted some strawberries under a tree and watching them take off. I have also put in some fruit trees and cried the next day as my dog had ripped them up.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9424366

Put you a fence around your trees til they get larger. I also put rocks around my trees. anything to keep them from digging...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 19, 2013
12:48 PM

Post #9424531

Good morning everyone.
A cool morning here after a beautiful day yesterday. If it would only stay like this instead of the extremes of weather we get.
But then what would we have to complain about..???
I potted up some lovely ferns and also a few more bromeliads.Today I am off to the hairdressers for a haircut.
Hubby will be staying home as he is on call on the CFA radio while fires are around.

Dianne, thats a beautiful rose.
My roses are all looking very good despite the heat and I am pleased because they never get watered unless it rains. They are all in flower and looking very lush.
I throw a handful of fertilser and Epsom Salts on each of them each Spring. Aside from that I leave them be .

Moon, I am very glad we dont have the dinosaurs around these days as I am sure that one large dollop of manure would totally wipe out a garden...
With my luck, I'd be right where the manure was falling...lol

Anthony, did you get any rain down there ?
We missed whatever whizzed past here.

Teresa, I hope all the kerfuffle is settled so you can have all your work finished. How petty of the power co.
Fancy needing a design for such a small job of moving the wire.

Charleen. I left cookies out for Charley but I think a small brown & white shape got there first.
Charley will not be happy when he finds no cookies..

Al, I hope you area is slowly getting some Spring weather. I know you are anxious to get out in the garden after reading all those catalogues.

rcooope. Charleen has a good idea with the stones. They can work well.
Another way to stop digging is to lay chicken wire around and peg it down. We used to use it to stop dogs and foxes digging into the chook pen too.
If the dogs are chewing the trees or grabbing to pull out, try some hot chilli lightly dabbed on the trunks. ( or something else just as nasty to them ).

Have to move and get something out for morning tea before I leave.

Here we are ... a favorite...Ginger Snaps.

Check out Joy of Cooking and Whats Cooking America for yummy recipes..
Happy day and stay safe
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 19, 2013
9:06 PM

Post #9425051

rcoope, resist eating the young corn, it is so tasty raw...maybe I shouldn't have said that, but I was always guilty of doing it...
Don't forget to put some flowers in amongst your vegies, it confuses the bugs...marigolds are very good...
Sounds as though you are off to a good start...

The Glass Festival that Chookie exhibited in last year, is on again...I wonder if she entered anything...I will have a look on sunday...

Al, have you ordered your seed yet?
Jean if the Ginger Snaps disappear, it will be Ray not T.Bo.

Dianne.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 20, 2013
2:06 AM

Post #9425133

a bit o rain!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 20, 2013
12:58 PM

Post #9425675

Good morning everyone.
Its overcast but still warm. A few drips from the clouds earlier, but doesnt look like we will get any rain .
I will be getting on with potting up some of the brugmansias into their large final pots later today.
During Autumn I will have a few other plants to put into larger pots .
Lots of flowers on my pumpkins, zucchini and whatever else I planted out there.
They may come to nothing but I do have a few small capsicums coming on the bushes.

Dianne, I think Ray missed out on any Ginger Snaps.
They are hubbys favorite too, but I did see a Charley Mule tail going around the corner.

Anthony, you had some rain ??
Thats great news for all your plants.

Hello Moon, Charleen and Al. I hope all your gardens are starting to green up for Spring.

Hello to everyone else looking in.
Sit down and enjoy a cuppa.
I am off to see what I can find in the kitchen for morning tea, then I will get out and fertilise some of the plants in hopes of rain.

heres your morning tea nibble...Buttermilk Fruitcake .

Happy day and stay safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9425761

No seeds just yet, Jean. We're not even green yet, still snow on the ground.

Heading to south to Florida next week for three week vacation, getting packed now. May be close to Spring when we return. In any case it'll be a lot warmer there than here. Hoping to find a fresh grown tomato to eat while I'm there. I'm still carrying my laptop so will be in touch.

Al

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 20, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9426102

Hope you have a wonderful trip. Al and take lots of pics...
I could send you lots of tomatoes and my watermelons are growing, but not a single pumpkin, first time ever...all male flowers, there are a couple of girls there now, but it's too late.
Jean, I hope that you at least had some little ones started...Zucchini and cucumber ok, nearly finished though.
Oh well, there's always next year...

Getting warmer out there...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 21, 2013
12:56 PM

Post #9426890

Good morning everyone.
A beautiful day here yesterday and looks like the same today.
Melbourne had rain and lots of it too. Up this way its very dry and plenty of fires around.
Luckily none too close but its sad to see all the lovely bush burning.
Sad for all those losing homes and stock too, but thats what we get in our hot summers.

Dianne, please let some of that rain past so my plants can enjoy it.
Your garden will be nice and green after a drink of rain water.

Al. I hope you have a lovely time in Florida. It will be so different to what you have had lately.
By the time you get back, you will have plenty to do with the weeds that will grow happily .

Hello Charleen, Have you had any further rain for your garden yet ?
Give that TBo a hug for me and I did leave some cookies for Charley, but havent seen him this morning.

Hello Moon. hope all is well weatherwise in your area too.
You must show us pics of your garden as Spring arrives.

Anthony, I see there was some rain in Tassie. Did you get any in your area?
I hope there are no further bushfires down there.
Have you found many little treasures in your new plants at all ?
Its always exciting to look through a collection like that.

Hello to anyone else looking in .

Heres your treat for morning tea. ...Carrot Cake.

I am going out to enjoy the mild morning. Hubby tells me that the weekend is going to be very hot again.

stay safe and I hope all our Qld & NSW friends are safe in the rain and floods up there.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2013
1:06 PM

Post #9426903

Here is Charley and some piggies and a dragon. See that red mule chasing those donkeys??? He wants all the attention...
TBo trying to be good boy. He wants to chase Charley and donkey, I do not let TBo into pasture.
Lord only knows what would happens. all are a little bit squirrelly.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 21, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9426981

What rain, Jean?...I could see those black clouds over Melbourne and suburbs, but we didn't get a drop...

Spring is in the air, Charleen...and your critters know it...lol
Cute little animals, you've made...do you take them to markets or are they just for you?...I know that you give lots of things away too...

Any rain for you Anthony?

Dianne
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 22, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9428050

Good morning everyone.
Its overcast but no rain eventuated during the night.
Melbourne was awash again.
I suppose we will get plenty of rain in the winter when the ground will turn into slush.

Dianne, did you get any of the second lot of rain ?
It is so frustrating to see rain clouds passing by and dropping so much rain where it isnt wanted.

Charleen, I love all your little ornaments. You do get such cute expressions on the faces.
I see Charley looking all bossy there.
I am sure he would step on TBo if he could, just to show who's the bossiest.

Hello Al , Moon, Teresa, Anthony and anyone else looking in.

I am off again to water before the sun starts to really get hot again.

Heres something nice for morning tea. ...Chocolate Hazelnut Torte.

Stay safe and dry
Happy day
Jean. .

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 23, 2013
12:28 AM

Post #9428583

another fine day here but getting cool over night & chilly in the mornings.
Went down to Ashburton - an hour south of ChCh - for a dog show.
Sugar went well & won best Bitch beating 3 other bitches.
This gives her the first Challenge certificate she needs toward her Champion title.
Only 7 more to go :)
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 23, 2013
1:36 AM

Post #9428593

very little, but maybe its coming!!!!!!I do hope so!!!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2013
8:55 AM

Post #9428877

Good Morning

Yummy Torte Jean...have to pass as I am trying to shed the extra pounds I collected over winter. Seems our biggest "food" holidays occur during winter when we are least active, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day, Mardi Gras, and Valentine's...GRIN

Congratulations to you and Sugar Teresa. She is indeed a fine dog.

Fingers crossed for you all to get some rain. Heaven knows I would be happy to send you some of ours...the weeds make a "slurping sucking sound" when I pull them...so much moisture in the ground. But, try not to complain too much since we are slowly coming out of a 7 year drought.

Dianne, I had to give some thought to your comments on Rick Nelson. He was 22 and a shy solitary young man...she was 18 and her mother kinda pushed the pairing as she knew Harriet Nelson and I think she thought it was a match made in heaven. From all I have read, I think Kristin was in love with the glamour life as much as she was with Rick. Then when the babies started coming and Rick "fell from favor as a Rock Star" she became less satisfied...I do know that he was driven by his love of music and toured quite a bit and eschewed the "glitzy side of Rock n Roll", all things that didn't sit well with Kristin. The divorce was nasty and costly for him and I think it had a profound effect on him...especially being away from his sons...I know I cried when he was killed...I think he was just beginning to recapture all that he loved about music.

http://rickynelson.com/indexold.html

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20092779,00.html
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 23, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9429074

Good morning everyone.
Its getting very warm already this morning. More heat for the next week they say.
Its a Summer as I remember them when young. Lots of hot days spent at the local swimming pool back then.
The pool used to open in October, if I remember correctly. It was a good walk from home to get there.
We only had enough pocket money to get in , pay for a locker and buy a drink, so no train trip to get there.
It took about an hour to walk , but never bothered us to walk there and home again.

Teresa, Sugar is a clever girl. How lovely for you ( & her ) to win . She is on her way to her title now.

Moon, I will be like you in a few months, pulling weeds from mud. I am sure we will get plenty of winter rain.
No sign of any at the moment though.
Poor Melbourne is getting very wet.

Al , enjoy Florida, I wish we could all come with you..

Dianne, you need to lasso a few of those rain clouds and bring them closer to you..lol

Hello Anthony, glad you got a little rain anyway.

Charleen, I sent lots of cookies home with Charley so make sure he shares.

I am off to water again, so will leave something out for morning tea.

Heres a tasty treat...Honey Ginger Scones..

Happy day and stay safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 23, 2013
5:55 PM

Post #9429350

another lovely day here, drove down to Ashburton for the second show & Sugar was so good!
I am thrilled at how well she stood for the judge & ran around the ring.
We won Best Bitch again so that is Challenge number 2.
6 more to go now.
I spent yesterday afternoon cutting up the foliage I pruned the other week, half filled the green bin & then I noticed some bits I missed...
well one thing led to another & now I have way more garden to play with & the green bin is full!
photos from the show today -

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 24, 2013
1:11 PM

Post #9430089

Good morning everyone.
Its overcast here and hubby says we are forecast to maybe get thunderstorms but no rain.
I have just been out and watered all my brugs, Its lovely out there after the heat.

I have a few pumpkins now on the vines plus some zucchinis and corn cobs forming.
I will have to think about what to do out in the vegie garden for winter.
I will ask a friend who did the garden for me before to come down with his rotary hoe and dig it over.

Teresa, two wins in a row. Sugar is definitely a classy girl.

Hello Charleen, Moon and Al. I hope Spring is arriving quickly for you all.

Anthony, how are things in lilium land ?
Hope you get abit more rain.

Dianne, you may see a bit of rain if all that stuff up north moves down a bit as they say it may.
Hello to anyone else popping in for a cuppa.

Heres a tasty nibble for you all...Blueberry Muffins.

Take care and enjoy the last week of the month.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 24, 2013
8:46 PM

Post #9430514

Moon, I didn't know that Rick was engaged...I wonder where she is now...
Thanks for the info...

Teresa, great to see OUR future champion doing well...what a good pup.

Jean, I've been out there with my kite, if Benjamin Franklin could get lightning, I might be able to get rain for us..
I can see restrictions here again soon...I don't think that they should have taken them off...we could really stay on RES 1 forever, it's not a hardship...
I wish I had pumpkins, do you want to swap...
Though on the cheery side, the passionfruits are rolling down the path, every morning there is a collection for me and the figs are delicious.

Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 24, 2013
11:02 PM

Post #9430558

they mentioned on the news tonight that some regions in NZ have had no rain so far this year...
not uncommon in Aussie but unusual here.
Canterbury is high on the list of dry regions, they keep predicting rain but it doesn't eventuate.
It's getting cooler though, & darker!

Our chimney repair is going ahead, they need the power off for a week to get it done.
Baz has us booked into a motel, not sure how nice it will be, the one we wanted can't do a full week.
The dogs & cat will stay at home, Baz will come over to let them out & feed them in the morning then come back again to let them out for the afternoon.
We will both come back again later at night to let them out before bedtime.

I think it would be easier to have them in kennels but Baz is worried about Copper & thinks he will be happier in his own bed.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 25, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9430717

It worked...it poured rain and the power went off so early bed and now I'm wide awake.

Borrow someone's kite, Teresa...
Hope it's a nice motel.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2013
5:55 AM

Post #9430738

Good Morning

Dianne, the woman Rick was engaged to marry, Helen Blair, was on the plane with him. Her funeral did not garner the attention his did.

Teresa, congrats on Sugar's second win. She is a pretty girl. Baz is probably right that Copper will be happier at home. Hope the repairs go quickly.

Jean, I do so wish I could send you some of the rain from here. Rainfall for Jan and Feb thus far is more than twice the average.

Hope you all have a pleasant day...nice breezes and a shower or two.
My solitary Z Drouhin bloom and the Lady Banksia rose 'Lutea'

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl         

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 25, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9431287

Good morning everyone. Its still a bit dark here this morning.
Daylight saving is okay in the Summer, but the idiot powers that be,decided a few years ago to carry it on longer into Autumn and no one has changed it back. We are hoping for a bit of rain during the week but I doubt it will get here.

Dianne has grabbed it all for the moment and is not letting it pass her by so quickly.

I hope everyone up north in flood areas are all okay.
It is sad to see all the damage but hopefully not too many casualties.

Teresa, If the kite worked for Dianne, try it...lol
I may have to go fly one here too.
Nice to see your repairs moving along. Enjoy the time in the hotel.

Al. you must be nearly ready to go to Florida or already there. Enjoy the warm.

Moon, arent roses so lovely. Mine look good even though they are never watered.
The heat is not affecting them at all .

Charleen, what mischief has been going on over there ?
Charley had a funny look in his eye this morning when I gave him some cookies.
Has he been naughty again ?

Anthony, I hope you are getting some nice rain and enjoying your plants.
I found a couple of new lilium plants coming up in a pot I thought was empty.

Hello to anyone else looking in .

Heres something to nibble on for morning tea. ...Blackberry Coffee Cake.

Stay safe and enjoy your gardens.

Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 25, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9431816

Moon, I was so sorry to read about Helen Blair...you're correct in saying that there was hardly any mention of her, I saw none.
Thank you for that.
A beautiful rose that one...ZD
Banksias are very pretty but they tend to be rampant here and take a bit of controlling...
Do they grow like that for you?

Jean, how disappointing for you...I thought that you were getting it too...
My pumpkin had the gall to produce 3 female flowers this morning...great big open flowers, great for dipping in flour and cooking.My pumpkin leaves are just beautiful, big, green and useless...except for compost.

Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 25, 2013
10:53 PM

Post #9431913

Mother Nature is having us on...
flooding in QLD & NSW, droughts in NZ...

mind you it's not unheard of, anyone who was in Brisbane in 1974 will remember it as a flood year.
I remember that year for the drought in the Nth Island where I was living at the time.

Baz has decided that Sugar will be better off at the kennels while Copper stays home.
It is probably good for her to learn to cope without Copper for company, he will be 15 in July & is very stiff in the mornings.
He is still a happy dog & mentally fine, he is due another dose of anti inflammatory pills so hopefully when he gets that in his system he will move more freely.
The sad inevitability is that Sugar will be an only dog at some stage & if she gets used to it now it will be easier than it was for Copper when he lost his mother.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 26, 2013
2:14 AM

Post #9431942

OHHHH...such beautiful rain..,...Sooty has had me worried,to the point that I admitted him to A/H vet at 5.30 monday morning.. nothing found, his diabetes is 'in check' but he's not right...Instantaniously stiff jointed and unable to get out of bed..mentally, not quite there..something happened on Sunday night,in bed..In my head Im questioning every possible avenue..even depression...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
5:52 AM

Post #9432049

Good Morning

Your are welcome Dianne...poor Helen seems to be merely a footnote in most articles, but Harriet and David Nelson both credited her with Rick's newfound happiness and joy.

Yes, the Rosa Banksia is a very self assured plant and can run rampant. I noticed yesterday that she has wriggled her way to the top of a neighboring Bottle brush...saw a flash of tiny yellow flowers waving down from a couple meters high. Fortunately I have room for her , but will be giving her a bit of a "buzz cut" when through blooming.

Teresa, that may be the kindest thing for both Sugar and Copper. He will rest and she will have some interaction during the time you are away to keep her out of mischief. Our blind Beagle still looks for Chet the Springer, and it has been just over a year since Chet passed away.

Oh Anthony, I do so hope Sooty is okay. Good thoughts and fingers crossed. So glad you got some rain.

Jean, I do hope rain moves your way. That is the nice thing about old roses...they pretty much tend to themselves no matter the weather.

Hope you all have a lovely day
Moon

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 26, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9432507

How about a Fairy door??? also post some of my little folks and a new little Leprechaun with his pot of Gold.
Charley and Donkey kids are walking mudballs. We have been getting rain. Finely sun is out and I need to order hay...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 26, 2013
12:47 PM

Post #9432613

Good morning everyone.
Still a bit dark here. Now that its getting into Autumn , the sun is later getting up .
More rain in Melbourne but not a drop here.
I put some of my brugs into the ground yesterday. Maybe that will encourage a bit of rain to start.
I will do a few more today and I also have a couple of nice grasses to put in when the ground gets soft enough to dig.
Luckily it was damp where I had to dig for the brugs to go in as I have been watering them all there.

Dianne, I hope no storm damage in your area.
I saw on the news that Geelong was affected, so I hope you are quite safe.

Anthony, sorry to hear about Sooty. Animals have the same problems getting old as we do. Its hard to see them suffering. I hope poor Sooty improves.

Charleen, I do like your little fairy door and the leprechaun with all his gold.
You should do a group of all your own critters...Charley & friends along with TBo and his mates.

Moon, how are you doing over there now that Spring is in the air ?
I hope no bad weather. You will enjoy being out and about in the milder Spring .

Teresa, thats such a good idea to separate the two dogs. Sugar needs more exercise than Copper these days so he can lay around and relax without Miss Mischief bothering him.

Hello to anyone else looking in.

Heres a tasty nibble for morning tea...Chocolate Cheesecake.

Stay safe and dry and enjoy your gardens.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 26, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9432979

All fine here, thanks Jean.
We didn't get that weather, thank goodness...though it's getting very dark at the moment and it's lunchtime.

Anthony, sorry to hear about Sooty..it's a big worry at that age...

Charleen, they are cuties.

Moon, I think that the only mention she got here, was that his fiance was in the plane travelling with him...that's probably why I had forgotten..

I was at a friend's place this morning looking at the garden, it's where I keep Mick and an Ultra Lite flew over...I didn't take much notice because they are always flying around the peninsula, but this one landed in one of the paddocks, very close to the house...
Imagine our surprise when the pilot came over toward us and it was my friend's son...he had bought this Ultra Lite the day before and wanted to surprise his mother, so us being in the garden worked out very well...

It's called a Hummer Shute, basically it's a motorised parachute...I thought that it looked just like Rod Taylor's Time Machine..
This one in the pic is almost the same...They steer with their feet like a plane and it has the instruments on a panel in the front...
He has to extend the runway he has been making, because on a still day it takes longer to lift off..
It did look so tempting...

Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger         

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9432992

That does look like a "seat of the pants" ride now doesn't it. I've flown a few Cessna type planes in my time, haven't been out much lately though.

We're in Savannah Georgia at the moment, it's much warmer down here. Real green grass and leafy trees already. Headed for Florida on Saturday.

Al
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 26, 2013
11:48 PM

Post #9433214

Anthony - I hope Sooty recovers soon, is it possible he had a mild stroke?
take care everyone
Cheers - Teresa
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 27, 2013
1:59 AM

Post #9433254

Anything is possible ,Teresa.. Is it possible to become 'aged' in a few days.. although he slowly walked out of the garage this morning,ate a bit, drank a bit, toilet and then down in a heap for the day..come 6pm eat some more, drink a bit, toilet and then asking me to take him for a walk[which I did]...Was it possible for me not to see the slow encroachment of debilitation , until it has hit me in the face?...I dunno the answers-Anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9433361

The answer is yes, Anthony. It is possible to not notice. My Springer appeared fine on Thursday...we played ball and he chased everything ...birds, leaves, his tail...and then on Friday morning he couldn't stand on his own...rushed to the vet and Chet's blood sugar levels were off the chart...3 doses of insulin and he seemed to be coming round and an hour later he was gone...vet said acute liver failure, but he had no jaundice or other symptoms...looking back through pictures of him, I could notice subtle changes, but nothing that gave any warning that he was in distress.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 27, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9433836

Good morning everyone. Its still overcast here but all we had yesterday were a few drops of rain that the plants had to chase around to catch.
I ended up planting 13 of my brugs in the ground so was wanting a nice shower to water them in.

I have 3 nice pumpkins coming on one of the vines. I found a tomato growing among the weeds too. It was nowhere near where I had planted any seeds so must be from some old tomatoes I tossed out there last year.

Anthony, Moon is right about animals not showing any symptoms of possible aging or illness.
I once had a lovely Irish wolfhound. She was old but still enjoyed a chase after kangaroos when we were out hunting.
The only sign of her age was a bit of grey around her face. She went to sleep one day and never woke up.
A shock to us all at the time after her being so energetic up to then.
Sometimes, we are too close to our pets to notice tiny differences that appear over time.
Maybe if we were away and returned we may notice. It can be the same with humans.
Too close to a loved one, the small signs of change are not noticed until something happens.
Take comfort in the fact that you give all your pets the best care and love so when they do go, they go kindly.

Hello to all looking in.
Its shopping day so I had better get myself going.

Heres something nice for morning tea...GingerBread Cake.

I will catch you all later.
Stay safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 28, 2013
1:57 AM

Post #9434244

Going back in tomorrow for a throat/camera excursion, .. He had some steroid injection this pm...lets hope !!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2013
5:30 AM

Post #9434308

Good thoughts for you and Sooty both Anthony. Hope all goes well.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 28, 2013
12:52 PM

Post #9434706

Good morning everyone.
Its a cold morning here after a quite cold night. It was odd to have the heater on after all the heat but the hot weather will return . Hubby says very hot next week.
He gets the forecast each day for the CFA and delights in telling me about any very hot or cold days coming..

Shopping yesterday and not an orphan in sight. The shops here dont have many plants at all and the nursery is way too expensive to even go in.
They only have the usual nursery plants anyway.
We will have to make a trip over to Mt Gambier again so I can look through Bunnings and Masters.

I will get some digging done again today. I am moving all the rest of the irises to make room for more roses.

My roses all do so well without any care , so I will put more in and place a seat near them . I like to sit and watch the birds in the garden.

The irises do well but only have a short flowering season.
.I will contain them in a smaller area where they can sit quietly for most of the year.

Anthony, I hope the news is good for Sooty.

Teresa, how are things progressing with your repairs. I hope Copper is enjoying his rest from the Weasel.

Al, we'll see you in Florida soon. Hope you are getting lovely weather while you travel.

Moon , enjoy your Spring weather.

Dianne, I hope you are not thinking of a ride in the flimsy vehicle...lol
I dont mind flying, but in something bigger and more solid than that .

I had better get moving so I can have all the tables and chairs ready at the new place for everyone.

Heres a nibble to keep you going as you stroll along the path to the new site...Coffee Cake...

We have moved to here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1300562/

Happy day
Jean.

Its a new month so we have moved ...

Thumbnail by 77sunset

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America