Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Pottery, Clay and Ceramics: What happened. The clear glaze came out slightly blue.

Communities > Forums > Pottery, Clay and Ceramics
bookmark
Forum: Pottery, Clay and CeramicsReplies: 3, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 31, 2013
4:18 PM

Post #9404121

Hi All,
I made this last April and finally glazed and took it to class to be fired. I have front that the basic idea is from internet, I'm not too creative, but can copy with changes, and as my husband says "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" so I always give credit. Overall I love it, except the clear glaze is slightly blue. The blue shows more in person than in the photo. Also, I used Patch-Attach in some cracks in the feet and although it usually comes out white it came out slightly tan and shows through the clear. I know it's a whimsical calico cat, but they don't have blue and I just don't like those parts.

I did put on a heavy coat of clear, you couldn't see any color under it, and it does go on light blue in the same shade it turned out. However, it has always come out perfectly clear on unglazed sections and over all glazes in the past. My instructor says maybe it had a bit of blue mixed in, but I don't think so. I should add that the back which I left plain but glazed with clear, although not as thick, came out perfectly white; but I can't remember if I did them from the same container.

With mild tremors I'm a slow glazer so put some time into it and do want to hang it up. It's part of a set of three cats for the fence. It seems my options are: 1) to re-fire and see if it just wasn't quite mature - my instructor won't like that, 2) glaze over those sections with white and then re-fire - she won't like that either, or 3) accept it as is knowing that every time I look at it I'll be slightly disappointed.

Has anyone ever encountered this happening before? Can you overdo clear to the point where it does come out slightly blue? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Annie

P.S. Everything I post lately is sideways, even when reloaded, and even when I turn the photo to allow for a quarter turn. Anyone else having the same problem?

Thumbnail by Anniesfollies
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2013
7:15 AM

Post #9404682

I have noticed the same thing !! I have no idea why it is doing that but I have am having the same thing hasppen!

Deb.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2013
9:59 PM

Post #9405569

I'm GUESSing here, but I suspect that either the glaze was a little thick, or it's slightly underfired, or both. I'm assuming it was fired to cone 06, and if it's like Duncan's clear glaze it goes all the way to 6, so firing it at 06 is at the very bottom range. If it was in a cool spot in the kiln it might not have quite fired to maturity, and if it was thick what you might be seeing is air bubbles trapped in the glaze that didn't flow enough to clear out.

But really, it's SO CUTE---and you've put SO MUCH WORK into it, and it's going to hang on the fence outside, not be looked at with a zoom lens. And if you refire it you might risk having another problem occur. My personal opinion is that it's too awesome to risk having something happen to it in another firing, and you can learn to live with this TEEEENSY imperfection! Nothing's ever perfect in ceramics...ever.
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2013
7:07 AM

Post #9405813

I usually fire at 05 so I don't think it is under fired. I use MAYCO's Clear Glaze.
deb

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America