SOLVED: Small bushy plant to ID.

BATTLEBORO, NC

Thought these were dead in April. Showed life by late May. Seems to need watering to maintain Greenery.

Thumbnail by RESORT2ME Thumbnail by RESORT2ME Thumbnail by RESORT2ME
BATTLEBORO, NC

That was fast!

But now I'm becoming confused... I was led to believe these 2 photos were of Spiraea... or are they Spiria. I'll have to study up on both.

Btw, in the upper right corner of the second photo, the little tree, is it a GUM tree? Leaves sorta Maple-tree shaped.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2013 8:03 PM

Thumbnail by RESORT2ME Thumbnail by RESORT2ME
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

No, no, no.

Those were ID'd as Weigela florida - note the opposite arrangement of foliage. Very different from any Spiraea sp. that you'll ever run across.

The little tree is a Sweetgum seedling Liquidambar styraciflua, NOT a Maple. Again - note the arrangement of foliage. The leaves occur alternately along the stem, rather than opposite as in all things Acer...

Rolesville, NC(Zone 7b)

VV, it's cute when you try so hard :)

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

Oh ya, I forgot. Opposite vs. Alternate. It`s like the bane of my plant ID.

Thanks, plantfreak78 - it's my mission in life to convert growin...

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

I was born this way.

BATTLEBORO, NC

I need close up photos.
These so far are bushy no more than 15" tall. All branches are tiny, like toothpicks..

Again - you can post pictures of dormant plants from which contributors here can help confirm the identity of your plant. You can even prune off a stem, bring it indoors on a countertop, and take some closeup images that way.

There are a number of dwarf selections of Weigela florida which have the dense congested stems as you've described. I've got one that I planted ten years ago that is not more than two feet tall - Wiegela florida 'Minuet'.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64150/

It's how they roll...

Rolesville, NC(Zone 7b)

I love you guys. That is all.

BATTLEBORO, NC

From much searching for a match, Spiraea x bumalda "Flowering Choice" seems a close example of what I have.

Thumbnail by RESORT2ME
Rolesville, NC(Zone 7b)

I've never heard of "Flowering Choice". The cultivar 'Little Princess' is more common and much more likely.

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

bump

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.